Start by marking “Jewish Antiquities (World Literature)” as Want to Read:
Jewish Antiquities (World Literature)

Jewish Antiquities (World Literature)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Josephus, soldier, statesman and writer in Greek, was a Jew born at Jerusalem about A.D. 37. A man of high descent, he early made himself learned in Jewish law and Greek literature and became a Pharisee. After pleading in Rome the cause of some Jewish priests he returned to Jerusalem and in A.D. 66 tried to prevent revolt against Rome, managing for the Jews the affairs of ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Jewish Antiquities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jewish Antiquities

Evan Leach
The Antiquities of the Jews is a long, long description of Jewish history from the creation of the world down to 66 AD. It was written by the Jewish historian Josephus around 94 AD in order to explain Jewish history and customs to a Greco-Roman audience. The book is invaluable from a historical perspective, as it is (I believe) the only ancient manuscript to lay out the history of the Jews from the first century continuously back to the days of Moses. Unfortunately, Josephus’ talents as a writer ...more
Andrew
Lots of folks like to cite Josephus, so I figured it was time to read the man myself... not fun. It's good to read first century works besides the Bible. I don't think I'll ever read every one of the bazillion words in this book but it's good reference and I don't really trust the pointy headed acedemics who want me to trust them that they are telling me all I need to know about history.
Rex Libris
Josephus is most known for his history of the Jewish Wars with the Roman Empire, including the siege of Masada. One could argue Antiquities is the prequel to the Jewish Wars as it covers all of Jewish history from the creation of man to the time of Emperor Nero.

In the Christian Bible the Old Testament is often understood as the history of the Jews, and much of the Antiquities parallels Biblical history. However, where Josephus parallels the Old Testament he supplements much of it with additional
Recynd
I'm surprised by the poor ratings given by other readers.

I was not expecting Josephus to be as accessible (readable) as he is. Rather than just adding unpronounceable names and bits of trivia, much of what he adds to the story is actually interesting and entertaining. For example, the Bible gives us precious little about Moses' young-adult life. Josephus, however, helps fill things out by including an account of Moses' general-ship in the Egyptian army during a conflict with Ethiopia. Apparentl
Rick Ludwig
I have been reading Josephus, off and on, since I obtained a large copy of the complete works from the Maui Friends of the Library bookstore. I found it very slow going, due to the small print of the particular version I was reading. Recently, However, I obtained a copy of an eBook containing just The Antiquities of the Jews and I completed it rather rapidly. Although clearly written with an inherent agenda, proving the importance of Jewish history to skeptical Romans, the book in this form is q ...more
Kenneth Burr
very interseting and insitful
Eddie
This is quite an enlightening, often striking, set of volumes for those who would appreciate additional information, a little setting-of-the-stage, as it concerns Biblical history. Especially valuable are the accounts concerning the inter-testamental period and the many details surrounding key 1st century settings and Biblical figures as they pertain to Judaism and Christianity.
Sergio Flores
Josephus was retelling the old testiment and the history up until his point in history. In the telling of the old testament stories he put a lot of tradition into it which was interesting to see how the Jews saw and read the old testament at that time. Some details were extremely interesting.
Gen. Ray
Jan 02, 2009 Gen. Ray added it
Recommends it for: Oui
Voici tout le drame du vieux testament transformé en récit historique de caractère gréco-romain ; et plus important, notre seulement compte continu des affaires du Moyen-Orient en deux cents années qui ont amené à la révolte.
Grace Tjan
Finished Vol. I Book I only. Lost interest because it's only a rehash of familiar biblical stories so far. Perhaps will take up again if the Librivox recording have reached the post-Biblical parts.
Bryan Blakeman
Reading the entire book will instantly cast doubt on the 18.3.3 interpolation. No, a Jewish Pharisee does not report that Jesus was the Christ (He never mentions the name).
Amanda
I'm calling it quits. What was I thinking to think I could/should read this book. Maybe if I was on a deserted island.
John Yelverton
A short and at times too concise history of the post-Old Testament Jewish nation.
Vka66
Vka66 marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Frieda M
Frieda M marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Leonard Goff
Leonard Goff marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Abdulaziz A.
Abdulaziz A. marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
DMS
DMS marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Luiz Pauleti
Luiz Pauleti is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2015
Elif
Elif marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament
  • Septuagint with Apocrypha
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • King David: The Real Life of the Man Who Ruled Israel
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Tanach: The Torah, Prophets, Writings -- The Twenty-Four Books of the Bible, Newly Translated and Annotated (The ArtScroll Series)
  • A Call to Joy: Living in the Presence of God
  • Israel is Real: An Obsessive Quest to Understand the Jewish Nation and Its History
  • The Jerusalem Bible
  • The Bible as It Was
  • Jesus before Christianity
  • Pontius Pilate
  • Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism
  • A History of the Jews (Perennial Library)
  • The Letters of the Younger Pliny
Titus Flavius Josephus (37 – c. 100),[1] also called Joseph ben Matityahu (Biblical Hebrew: יוסף בן מתתיהו, Yosef ben Matityahu),[2] was a 1st-century Romano-Jewish historian and hagiographer who was born in Jerusalem - then part of Roman Judea - to a father of priestly descent and a mother who claimed royal ancestry.

He initially fought against the Romans during the First Jewish–Roman War as the h
More about Josephus...
The Jewish War The Works of Josephus The Essential Writings Josephus: Thrones of Blood Works: The Jewish War, Books I-II (Loeb Classical Library)