Start by marking “Seven Troop” as Want to Read:
Seven Troop

Seven Troop

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In 1983 Andy McNab was assigned to B Squadron, one of the four Sabre Squadrons of the SAS, and within it to Air Troop, otherwise known as SEVEN TROOP.

This is Andy McNab’s gripping account of the time he served in the company of a remarkable group of men — from the day, freshly badged, he joined them in the Malayan jungle, to the day, ten years later, that he handed in his
Published June 26th 2009 by Corgi (first published September 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Troop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Troop

Sergio
Siamo lontani dal pathos di "Pattuglia Bravo two zero" e di "Azione immediata", ma il mondo dei SAS è raccontato in modo così intrigante e picaresco da McNab che fa venir voglia di arruolarsi e vivere in prima persona le straordinarie avventure di questi giovani, temerari soldati di Sua Maestà. In realtà l'autore punta l'indice mostrando anche il lato oscuro della vita militare, non tacendo i pericoli non solo fisici ma soprattutto psichici che accompagnano queste vite in prima linea ai quattro ...more
Kotka
Well written. Some of the jargon/slang was difficult. Otherwise a cracking read. Hairy encounter in Bogota, with police death squads.
Tom Fletcher
Whilst initially I felt let down by Andy's third non fiction book, the action soon built up; his descriptive style immerses you in the plot, pushing you full circle on the scale of emotions. You'll soon be feeling anger, shock and sadness as you get a real insight into his life in the SAS. Recommendable to anyone.
Josef Black
Very realistic personal account of reality of life in the SAS during the period. It's not a 'hollywood' style Chris Ryan fictionalised version but a much more realistic and well told account of the reality of life in the army (and special forces) and the friendships forged, the endless obsession with brews and the difficulties highly trained tier 1 special forces operators face when they demob.

I read this book back to back and couldn't put it down, classic McNab and one of his best works. If you
Mick
A truly awesome book. I ended up with this after hearing about his friend Frank Collins- the guy who left the SAS to become a priest! (Like- how could you not want to hear his story?) So from that I wound up reading the books of others in his unit. In this fantastic book, there is no trace of bravado or machismo, and it is poignant, at times hilarious, and at other times it is incredibly sad. This is a book about the military that I think even people with no interest in that stuff would still lo ...more
Paula
I listened to the audiobook of this. Was well done - I didn't spend the whole time laughing at the narrator.

I was a mega-fan of Andy McNab's work in high school, but I eventually got tired of the "Nick is okay, but someone he cares about dies" plot line, so I haven't read any of his stuff for years. Seven Troop is non-fiction, but the plot is much the same. Which actually helps me understand (or at least, think I understand) WHY his fiction work went the way it did.

The style of writing is very m
Hilmi Isa
Buku ini merupakan sebuah buku memoir kisah benar hasil tulisan Andy McNab (bukan nama sebenar). Nama beliau mula terkenal selepas terbitnya buku memoir Perang Teluk 1991 yang bertajuk Bravo Two Zero yang mengisahkan kegagalan misi pasukan di bawah pimpinannya di dalam konflik tersebut di garisan belakang musuh. Kali ini,buku yang bertajuk Seven Troop ini pula ditulis oleh penulis. Masih berkonsepkan buku memoir,tetapi dengan fokus penceritaan yang berbeza.
Seven Troop memberikan fokus kepada pen
Neil
It was an interesting book; different than the first two he wrote about his time in the SAS [Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action]. This book focused more on his relationships with his friends and former squad mates in the SAS; most of his close friends from when he served have died and it seemed like he wrote this book as a means of processing their deaths and how their deaths affected him. I found it especially interesting that two of his squad mates were Christians; one of the men was quite vo ...more
Dave
My bad. I thought this was Bravo Two Zero. A book I had read many years ago and wanted to reread. The way I read the book was a 'self cleansing' by Mr McNab. Portions of the book were ok, but never going into too much depth. Quite a bit of religious stuff, which he generally scoffs at, but there was a lot of it. It was only ok, more a let down than anything else
Pete Carter
A realistic account of the exploits of Seven Troop during the gulf war. The grim reality of was was coupled with the strong sense of comradeship - a gripping tale.
Joe Curtis
This book was a little hard to start, but after a while ended up being really good.
It is about the author, Andy McNab, and his life in the SAS(Special Air Services) and about his troop, seven troop.
It's a very good book as it shows you all the gritty stuff about the SAS rather than all the glamorous stuff you see in the media or that you hear about. It takes place all over the world from the urban jungle of Ireland during the reign of the IRA to the deserts of Iraq during the first Gulf war.
I c
Neil Morgan
The final biographical book that I've read about Andy McNab. I really enjoyed it. Straight talking. Fleshes out the earlier references to his SAS career and what came after. Sobering to read about what happened to his fellows. Definite food for thought.
Paul
A great account of how a newbie went all the way in the S.A.S, documenting the highs and lows along the way.
Wayne
This book grows on you as you read it. It is heavy in British street language. You read the first 3/4 of the book before it finally sinks in. This is something special. These are real men. It all really happened. Then you begin to morn their passing. You understand why this book was written. It was a special story. It is about comrades and heroism by normal and yet very special men. I am glad I read this book. I would recommend everybody read it and reflect upon those events in British contempor ...more
Hayley
Was a little slow to start with but became incrediably gripping and fast-paced. Amazing story and behind the scenes of British SAS training and missions. The tragedy is that of those who survived as many as those killed in action ended up committing suicide due to what they had seen and done.

A good read.
Faith6120
Was really pleased to hear that McNab had written a new non-fiction. Covers similar ground to Immediate Action/Bravo Two Zero but with greater emphasis on the relationships within McNab's troop. Un-put-down-able. Liked the short chapter format. Exciting, funny, entertaining but also very sad.
Chris Harrison
Started reading this after reading immediate action and stopped almost halfway through. This was turning out to be pretty much the same book with the same stories he has already spoken about in Immediate Action. Think I prefer his fiction stuff to be honest
Paul Jones
Am I missing something here? This has all 4s and 5s yet I struggled to half way through before eventually giving up!

Boring, hardly any action, too much military jargon.

I appreciate its based on facts but at least make it interesting.

Fadzli Osman
good reads, stretch from the jungle of malaysia to the dessert of arabia, and to the street of north Ireland

it is sad to see that this well trained soldiers to face PSTD
Abdul Ghani
Can hardly put down the book once I started it. Good one from Mr Andy. Enjoyable and gripping, yet felt sad to those who died. Felt really sorry for Nish...
Lucas J
It is a true story about the time Andy Mcnab was in the 22nd SAS and after. It also has the part when he does the mission Bravo Two Zero.
Rob
Excellent non fiction read. But the deaths in this book - some tragic - make for sombre reading. Too many suicides in Special Forces.
Shneapfla
The story of a soldier's way during (and short after) hist army time (although he keeps the private stuff more or less private).
Simon Baker
McNab's non-fiction stuff is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I love them all! This one's as good as the others.
Duzzlebrarian
As a story about the SAS it's a fine story about PTSD tearing a unit apart.
Peter
A little repetitive if you had read his earlier books
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Jun 28, 2015
  • The Hit List
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • King of the Godfathers
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)