Start by marking “Oaks of California” as Want to Read:
Oaks of California

Oaks of California

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Oaks of California, the first book ever devoted to the state's native oaks, celebrates the unique place of these trees in California's natural and cultural heritage.

Winner of the 1992 Benjamin Franklin Award for best "Regional" book, this title continues to be the definitive popular guide to California's most emblematic tree species.

Published January 1st 1993 by Cachuma Pr

To ask other readers questions about Oaks of California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oaks of California

Sep 12, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in California
Recommended to Tracy by: local library
This is a beautiful book -- full color throughout -- and a very informative reference to the oak species of California. I picked it up at the library because I wanted to identify the oak trees that have been growing in my back yard for the last few years. I had suspected they were Valley Oaks, and now I have definitively identified them as such.

Upon reading this book, I learned how threatened this species was. I had thought it still common, but I learned that I live in one of the reserve areas
Sep 04, 2015 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
I can't count the number of times that I have checked this book out the library before actually buying my own copy. Now, I can make notes in it! Detailed, easy to access information, about the numerous types of oaks in this fine state. Excellent book.
Aug 17, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: plant enthusiasts and artists
This is an excellent book that helps the reader sort through the myriad of oaks in the California landscape. It gives details of habit (characteristic growth patterns of each species) as well as what kind of terrain favors each and what other plants are associated with each. There are sketches of acorns and leaves (each oak has several types of leaves at different levels among dense layers). I carry it along in the car when we travel and read it at intervals. It's not a sit down and read from fr ...more
Sam Gilbert
Very good guide to California's nine oak tree species and the shrubby oaks too. Includes fine descriptions and photographs of each species, a history of oaks' relation to humans in the state, descriptions of animal and plant species associated with oaks, a comparative chart of the different species' acorns, and so on. Highly recommended.
My personal springboard into the study of native plants and ecology, in general. Wonderful book with incredible photographs. So very important to know your surroundings intimately!
Charles Grant
Charles Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Charles Snyers
Charles Snyers marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Brenda added it
Nov 06, 2014
Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Cadillacrazy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Sarah added it
Jul 18, 2015
Bruce M. Pavlik, Professor of Biology at Mills College, is coauthor of Oaks of California and California's Changing Landscapes: The Diversity and Conservation of California Vegetation."
More about Bruce M. Pavlik...
The California Deserts: An Ecological Rediscovery