Start by marking “Shakespeare Never Did This” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Never Did This

Shakespeare Never Did This

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  869 ratings  ·  24 reviews
An account of Charles Bukowski's 1978 European trip. In 1978 Europe was new territory for Bukowski holding the secrets of his own personal ancestry and origins. En route to his birthplace in Andernach, Germany, he is trailed by celebrity-hunters and paparazzi, appears drunk on French television, blows a small fortune at a Dusseldorf racetrack and stands in a Cologne Cathed ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by Ecco (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Never Did This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Never Did This

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroEverything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'ConnorAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Titlemania III: Whole-Sentence Titles
199th out of 660 books — 78 voters
Ham on Rye by Charles BukowskiPost Office by Charles BukowskiPlay the Piano Drunk Like an Percussion Instrument Until the ... by Charles BukowskiDancing on the Grave of a Son of a Bitch by Diane WakoskiThe Magellanic Clouds by Diane Wakoski
Black Sparrow
25th out of 30 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Carlos
oh, Bukowski, you magnificent son of a bitch...
Fewlas
Di solito assegno 4 o 5 stelline ai romanzi di Bukowski. Questa volta non ho trovato niente, ma proprio niente, che potesse giustificare un voto così alto. È stato come quando la professoressa che ti mette sempre nove si trova tra le mani un tema scopiazzato, per niente originale. E lei ce la mette tutta per alzarti il voto, ma alla fine non ce la fa.

Perché se è vero che Bukowski parla sempre delle stesse cose e racconta più o meno gli stessi episodi in ogni suo romanzo, vero non è che lo fa sen
Nemanja
Jedno od slabijih dela ali i dalje izuzetno zanimljivo. Rec o njegovoj velicini. Prokleta pijandura.
Antigonal
he is funny and cruel :)
Jay
I wasn't looking for anything serious; I'd heard this was a breezy account of Bukowski's European book promotion tour; and, it is. I read Bukowski more to look at how he structures story telling and his use of different sentence structures. So, for me, I saw here what I think is the longest sentence I've ever seen Bukowski write. It's in the section about his trip to a cathedral and his thoughts about God. I didn't think I'd ever see a sentence that long from Bukowski. The story of the trip itse ...more
Dani
Easy read, fun to most extents. To me it looks more like he had to write about the trip in Europe - then he wanted to. It felt like a documentary, bw pictures blended in just about right.
Jenna
May 07, 2008 Jenna added it
Shelves: collectible
Bukowski's travelogue from when he went back to Germany. Real-life depiction of the fabulous asshole he was.
Daniel Difranco
Not his best, but honest.

Poorly edited and not entirely thought out at times, this sketch of Buk's trip is a quick read. The highlight was when Bukowski met his 90 year old uncle in the town of his birth in Germany. The rest reads like a slipshod version of one of his novels--lots of drinking and talk about life/death. Worth the 99¢ because of the pictures.
Azzageddi
Short, enjoyable little book. Nothing spectacular, though. I'd only recommend it to big fans as a sort of literary curio. Just Bukowski giving his impressions of a trip through Paris and a few cities in Germany. Much wine is imbibed and many sites are seen with typical Bukowski indifference.
Darío
Incluso en supuestas "obras menores" (término que me produce urticaria, pero que parece que se entiende), como esta breve crónica de un viaje por Europa, Bukowski deja varias pinceladas de esa genialidad natural, ejecutada con la inercia del que no sabe hacer nada más.
Shawn Fairweather
Bukowskis exploits on a trip to Europe...you know the deal, wine, women, song, and some other stuff. Pretty short read of travel journal notes but filled with some awesome pictures. Easily readable in a afternoon.
B.T. Hogan
Not Bukowski's best, not even close.

Bukowksi is like pizza, even when's it's bad it's still damn good.
Robert Titus
Left me with a taste for good wine and foreign places
Solleone
- cronaca del viaggio: puntuale
- commenti dell'autore a fatti e persone: taglienti, diretti, senza filtri, mai provocatori (in relazione all'autore naturalmente)
- digressioni dell'autore: numericamente scarse, ma efficaci, di grande umanit��, di chi ha toccato il fondo e non sa se vuole uscirne vivo
Michela
Bukowski è sempre Bukowski. E gli ingredienti sono sempre quelli: alcol, cavalli e sesso. Questa volta rimescolati in un viaggio in Europa fatto dalle sue abitudini e da abitudini che non conosce, raccontato con quel suo modo diretto, quasi parlato, che lo contraddistingue. La mia preferenza personale va alle poesie inserite alla fine del libro piuttosto che alla prosa.
Mel
Bukowski goes back to the place where he was born (but never knew as a young boy). Interesting pilgrimage and while I'm a fan of his poetry, I'm not all that enamored with his prose. The photos taken by his possee that includes his girlfriend and the subsequent poems he wrote in response to the trip are what redeem this piece in my eyes.
Andrés Cabrera
Crónica del viaje hecho por Charles y Linda a Europa, en pleno auge de su carrera literaria. Desde la nostalgia por el reencuentro con su ciudad natal y su tío, hasta las peripecias etílicas en cada hotel, Bukowski expondrá sus ilusiones e impresiones de un viaje distinto.
Brent Legault
Is it too easy to respond to this title by saying, "Shakespeare was too busy writing masterpieces to do whatever it is you think, or thought, you were doing?" Sure, it's not as punchy as Bukowski's title but at least it has the honor of being a whole, rather than a half, truth.
Jerman
Great photos which are a fresh companion to the writing. They stand as a good travel document, too. I'm always impressed with Bukowski's stamina for the booze.
Dart
Jul 23, 2012 Dart added it
awesome look inside a real American hero and dirty old man. great photos, fun book, essential for the Buk' fan.
Giorgia Kappa
Un libro sopravvalutato di un autore (perché scrittore NON è) ancor di più sopravvalutato.
Damjan
zanimljiva licnost i prosecan (na momente sjajan) pisac, bar ovde. hvala za rodjendanski poklon :*
Borja de la haza acuaviva
Me gusto, es la cronica de su viaje a Europa invitado por sus editores europeos.
Luis
No está mal, te ríes más al principio pero luego se hace un poco coñazo.
Rich Liuzzi
Rich Liuzzi marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Franny
Franny marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Line
Line marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Christal
Christal is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
  • Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski
  • Charles Bukowski
  • The Wine of Youth
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Vanity of Duluoz
  • The Complete Crumb Comics, Vol. 4: Mr. Sixties!
  • The Complete Polysyllabic Spree
  • El mundo como supermercado
  • Dylan's Visions of Sin
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 1
  • Il fuggiasco
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
Post Office Ham on Rye Women Factotum Love is a Dog from Hell

“The morning interviews were always the hardest, hung-over, trying to get the beer down. No, I have no idea why I am a writer. No, my writing has no particular meaning that I know of. Celine? Oh sure. Why not? Do I like women? Well, I’d rather fuck most of them than live with them. What do I think is important? Good wine, good plumbing and to be able to sleep late in the mornings. Are you really disturbing me? Of course you are. Do you expect me to start lying at the age of 58? Buy me a drink.” 2 likes
“That girl enjoyed everything that bored me and everything that I enjoyed bored her. We were the perfect mates: what kept us going was the tolerable and intolerable distance between us. We kept meeting each day—and each night—with nothing solved and no chance to solve it. Perfection.” 2 likes