Start by marking “Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)

Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)

Published September 1st 2008 by Stone Arch Books (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

Amanda
A nice retelling for children.

This book has the coolest textured endpages.
Amanda
Oct 07, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinderella The Graphic Novel:
Summary- Cinderella- The Graphic Novel was published this year in 2009. It is a “graphic spin” on Cinderella as it says on the back cover of the book. The book begins with the cast of characters including: the evil stepsisters, the evil stepmother, the father, the prince, Cinderella, and the fairy godmother. This version of Cinderella takes a bit of a darker tone then the typical version most are used to. The colors in the book are very burnt and dark and the facial
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
As you know I love to read fairy tales, the original and retold stories. Cinderella has always been one of my favorite stories. When I was at the library the other day with my girls, Cinderella: The Graphic Novel caught our eye.

Cinderella: The Graphic Novel is not quite the Disney version most people are used to. This version of the story was wonderful. The author, Beth Bracken went closer to the original version and put her own spin on it.

What I love the most about this book is how well the ar
Ro  Long
May 08, 2015 Ro Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story. Classic Cinderella, condensed for children. Beautiful water color artwork. The back has a glossary for children and a little history on the origins of Cinderella. It even has writing prompts for teachers.
Loved it
Lamar Jackson
Oct 27, 2016 Lamar Jackson rated it it was amazing
Great artwork and exciting!
Dannita Stanley
Feb 21, 2015 Dannita Stanley rated it liked it
I enjoyed Cinderella The Graphic Novel. I am curious to see how students would respond to the variations in Traditional Literature Books. I'd like to offer the books in different formats to give students a choice. I have some students who prefer graphic novels, so I like that the traditional stories are offered this way.

In this book, I was most drawn to the illustrations. Since graphic novels offer many more illustrations, I was drawn to how the illustrations helped the story line. Some of the i
Kim
Feb 13, 2016 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
This graphic novel version of the traditional Cinderella was a good read. The layout was different than traditional picture books, but was a nice change. This version stuck pretty close to the original telling of Cinderella with a few differences. Cinderella was introduced at the beginning of the book as Ella. She did not gain the name Cinderella until her 2 stepsisters gave it to her because she was so dirty from cleaning the cinders from the fireplace. Ella was so sad from the loss of her moth ...more
Daniela
Nov 14, 2012 Daniela rated it really liked it
Grade Level: 2-3
Main Characters: Cinderella, evil step-family, fairy godmother
Setting:
POV: second person

Summary:
This is Cinderella retold in a graphic novel format, and the story is told through dialogue bubbles. The graphics are kind of Gothic style and done in watercolors with great detail. The book maintains the original plot where Cinderella is forced to do all the house chores and live with her horrid step-mother and sisters. Her step-mother still does not allow her to go to the Princes ba
Arminzerella
Jen Wehage-Barrera
Cinderella The Graphic Novel by Beth Bracken
This retelling of the classic fairy tale follows the same plot line: Cinderella’s mean stepmother and stepsisters treat her abusively. A godmother intervenes, Cinderella wins the heart of the prince at the ball, with her lost glass slipper he searches for her, and they live happily ever after. However, there are a few variances from other Cinderella stories. In this graphic novel style the emotions of Ella (Cinder was added as an insult), dark colorati
Erin
Slightly darker than the Disney version of Cinderella we all hold dear to our hearts, Ella is introduced with the other characters in a lineup at the beginning of the book in a very gestural illustration that flows throughout the rest of the novel. Ella is adopted into her Stepmother’s home with her stepsisters. Her father brings back the first twig that touches his hat on his trip out, while her stepmother brings back fancy jewels and dresses for the stepsisters. Ella plants that twig and it gr ...more
L12_Anke
Feb 01, 2012 L12_Anke rated it did not like it
Shelves: traditional-lit
The plot of this Cinderella story is much like the others, yet the graphic novel format is the opposite of the large, colorful pictures splashed on the pages of the typical versions of this world famous fairly tale. I liked the idea of reading Cinderella in graphic novel format, yet the drab, dreary hues and scratchy sketches of the characters make the entire story a depressing one—even when Cinderella gets her wish to attend the ball, the girl hardly manages a smile.

The last few pages of this
Miss Ryoko
May 03, 2011 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5

When I saw this book at the library, I thought the cover looked dark and I really wanted to read it (this seems to be a common thread when I find children's graphic novels... the cover always makes the story look dark so it immediately grabs my attention). I'll be the first to admit I'm not familiar with the actual story of Cinderella. My only experience with Cinderella is the Disney movie, so I was like "I thought her dad died? But he's there? And he won't do anything for her?
Angie
Nov 18, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "Cinderella's wicked stepmother won't let her go to the ball. But with a little help from a Fairy Godmother, she'll be getting there in style. There's just one catch. At midnight, her magical gown will turn back into dirty old rags."

My Review: This one has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time, so I finally picked it up. This is a very short graphic novel that really condensed the Cinderella story, but not in a bad way. It would be easy for young readers to pick up and enjoy. Th
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I was impressed with this graphic spin on the classic tale of Cinderella. I enjoyed the variation of the story and thought the birds at the end were a nice touch.

Timmins' artwork is grim and dark which I believe captures the darkness that is embedded into many classic fairy tales. The step mother and sisters' faces are hideous to match their cruel personalities. Cinderella is not portrayed as cheery but she is selfless and kind--this is depicted best by her request for a twig and in her visits t
Val
This is a darker version of the classic Disney tale. While it wasn't horrible it was lacking many elements key to the original story. I was confused by how Ella's Dad appears at the beginning and then he is missing in the rest of the book. Where did he go?? This also has some sinister elements towards the end that were surprising. Cue fat doves..

The author does include a history of the Cinderella story, vocabulary, discussion questions and writing prompts at the end of the book. These are great
Lady Knight
Interesting presentation. Definitely darker than most Cinderella stories, and despite the low reading level and the abundance of pictures it is intended for the older kids of elementary school and even the youngest of the middle school set. I quite liked it!

I particularly loved how after the story, their was also a quick history of the story of Cinderella (the oldest known version came from China, originally the shoes were gold instead of glass, the Grimm's brothers version had doves pecking out
Alea
Sep 29, 2009 Alea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Like Rapunzel, Cinderella is illustrated by Jeffrey Stewart Timmins and he shines here as well. I especially loved how he treated the women's hair and silhouettes in Cinderella. He has again used watercolor to create these beautiful washes of color but small details too. Thought again I would have wished the speech bubbles be hand drawn.

I love the story of Cinderella and with the addition of Jeffrey Stewart Timmins's illustration this is a winning rendition. Like the other Capstone offerings fro
Emilou
Dec 13, 2016 Emilou rated it it was ok
The art was interesting, but I found it odd that when Cinderella's hair didn't change when the fairy Godmother gave her the dress. She looked like an old maid. Also, the expressions didn't change much. The art style was unique, but it didn't show much diversity in expression or perspective during the story.

In this version of Cinderella, her father is still alive. The writer only had him in part of the story and he was absent during the ball without any explanation, which I found to be poor writi
Michelle Rosales
Jun 22, 2012 Michelle Rosales rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Ella is faced with a big dilemma as her mother dies and her father remarries a woman with two daughters, who have wicked hearts. As the story unfolds Ella earns the name Cinderella as she becomes the housekeeper in her own home. When the prince announces that he is holding a ball to find a wife, the household becomes extremely excited. Ella begs to go, her stepmother finds a difficult task to prevent her from going. Nonetheless, Ella succeeds, and with the help of her godmother, goes to the ball ...more
Amy
Mar 03, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
I thought the illustrations were very unique- that's what drew me to this book. But I found it ironic that the "beautiful stepsisters" were some of the ugliest I'd seen. ;) Ella's father had more of a role in this version of the fairy tale, but somehow disappears from the cast of characters after the King's proclamation is read. ?? It was nice to see the evil stepmother and stepsisters get what was coming to them in the end.
RLL22016_Molly
Oct 09, 2016 RLL22016_Molly rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is a new twist on the Brothers Grimms original story of Cinderella. The artwork is as dark and twisted as Ella's nasty step-sisters. This version of Cinderella is told chiefly through dialogue that is relteable to young readers who are just starting to read on their own. The end of the book is filled with further information about the history of Cinderella, which is a great add on to keep children interesting. Overall, a fun read!
Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The well known fairy tale of Cinderella is written as a graphic novel. A young girl’s mother passes away. Her father remarries a woman with two daughters. The two daughters are very cruel towards Cinderella. There will soon be a ball held by the prince to find a wife. Cinderella isn’t given permission to attend the ball. There is a glass slipper, a fairy godmother, and a pumpkin carriage. This is a great graphic novel to read.
Lisa Rathbun
Rather bleak little story. I liked some of the panels - especially those in silouette (like Cinderella under the tree). But Cinderella is dull and unappealling, the backgrounds are bare, and the story has no luster or magic for me. I did appreciate the information about the tale at the end of the book, as well as the discussion questions. I did like that the stepmother and one stepsister looked like trolls! For my taste in graphic novels, I much prefer "Rapunzel's Revenge."
Oct 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
I think graphic novels are a fabulous way to get reluctant kids to read, and adapting tales that they are already familiar with can only help to increase their interest. Though I would have liked to see the dialogue a bit more developed, the illustrations are well done. Also provided are the story's historical background, discussion questions and writing prompts that would surely benefit any budding writers.
Judith
Sep 25, 2010 Judith rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had several problems with this story, and it didn't really have anything to do with the fact that it was a graphic novel, just more with inconsistencies. First, Cinderella's father is alive in the story and then all of a sudden he just disappears. There is no mention of his death, but he just completely vanishes!
I do the fact that there is a history of the story of Cinderalla. It will help the readers understand that there is more to the story than the Disney classic.
Carey Hanson