Tempest Tossed

Tempest Tossed

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Janet has spent her whole life proving herself. She’s on the fast track in her career and nothing will slow her down, not even falling in love with a man who holds the key to helping her find the peace she’s searched for all her life. With two failed marriages behind her it’s easy to be skeptical, but there is something about Tally that’s impossible to ignore. Janet decide...more
Published January 10th 2004 by Bonneville Books (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tempest Tossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempest Tossed

Rebecca
This is one of the first books this author wrote. Her writing improves in subsequent books. There are good things and not so good things about the quality of writing in this book.

First of all the prologue was unnecessary. Tightening up the first few chapters would have created enough interest and pull through the story without it. Doing so would have created more tension as the main character slowly self destructs because we wouldn't know yet where that would lead. The way it is now we know exa...more
Kari
The author's prologue ruined the first half of the book for me. It let me know what was going to happen too soon and then I just wanted to speed read to get back to that point. Instead of being interested in Janet and Tally's meeting I just wanted to get to Janet's downward spiral. Without the prologue, the book would be much better because I would become so much more involved with Tally and Janet in the beginning, allowing me to be that much more invested in the middle and end when things are c...more
Carrie
Josi Kilpack is a local LDS fiction Author. I normally steer clear of this type of book. I am currently reading my third book by this author, so I guess I am enjoying hers. :)

This book is about prescrition drug use and the roller coaster life it takes the main character on. Interesting and enlightening. I like the way this author really does her research on any given subject in order to capture it's true emotion.

Some good quotes from this book:

"A pickle can never be a cucumber again" ~Dr. Pau...more
Mommywest
Apr 21, 2011 Mommywest marked it as to-read
I just found this book on Amazon, and it deals with one of the characters from Josi Kilpack's first novel whom I didn't like very much. She shows up in "To Have Or To Hold" as a very likeable character--in fact, as one of the most helpful characters to the main character, Emma. I couldn't reconcile the two representations; having to make up what might have happened in my mind so that I could handle the 180-degree difference. I was excited to find this book because it will complete the bridge for...more
Marcie Steinicke
I didn't end up finishing it. After the first few pages I decided it was just too depressing. With the prologue giving so much of the story away I just couldn't get myself to read it.
Josi
Apr 15, 2008 Josi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my third published novel and it deals with a woman struggling with prescription drug abuse. It's one of my favorites and I felt like I learned a lot just in the writing and researching of this book. Several people have taken the time to tell me they absolutely hated my main character, I'm okay with that. She didn't necessarily like herself all that much either but since most of my books deal with imperfect women I don't expect anyone to fall in love with her, only, perhaps, to gain a bit...more
Kathryn
Rebecca
This is an interesting look at drug addition and how it can be so easy to get into this kind of a trap. Janet starts out the book as a headstrong, determined woman. However, she comes to rely on pills as a way of coping with her everyday life. She meets and marries a young man, Tally, and tries to hide her drug addition from him. Eventually, she is 'found out' and tries to take her own life. She is found unconscious in her kitchen before being taken to the hospital. She does recover, but it is a...more
Dorry Lou
This was a good book but I am not into drugs and people on them. Janet has had a troublesome life so she depended on pills to help her coop. When she finally meets a guy going thru' his own set of problems, she lies to keep him from knowing her secret drug life. They marry and their life is nothing but problems from the word go. Things come to a head when she tries to kill herself by overdosing. She almost succeeds. The road back for them is very hard and long and her husband wonders if he will...more
Kristyn
Hard to read because you know what's going to happen in this downward spiral. Even medication we think is harmless, can get out of control. It's easy to start justifying our actions when we see good results, but it all builds up to a big challenge in the end.

A good reminder that if we say we 'have' to take something, then we need to look at the reason why we 'have' to have it; because a doctor said so, or because we said so. Addiction is bad, no matter what form it comes in. Eye opening book.
Katherine
I really like this author. This book, however, was somewhat hard for me to read. I had a hard time identifying with the main character. At the same time, I think the whole issue of addiction is so important for everyone to understand better, not only so we can avoid addictions, but so that we can have compassion on those who struggle daily with those monsters.
Elaine
I really went on a rollor coster on this book. I really didn't think they should get together, then when they did I thought she really doens't deserve him. Then I thought maybe he can help her, then agian....no she is just mean. I went back and forth. Now that I am done I still think she doesn't deserve him, hope that doesn't give anything away.
Andrea
This novel deals with prescription (and other) drug abuse and addiction. It reminded me in many ways of the documentary "Happy Valley". The story opens with the main character about to commit suicide via overdosing, and then it takes quite awhile to get back to that point. Overall, it was an enjoyable story, with just a few parts that were slow.
tami
I appreciated this book because of the addiction factor. At times it really taught me a little about my own struggles, and I felt for the characters. As with many LDS novels, it was a little (little?) predictable. But I don't usually mind that too much, as long as the ride is good. This was a good ride for me.
Tanis
This book was very well written and I liked it. I guess the issues addressed in the book were a little disturbing. It's about a woman who struggles with an addiction to prescription drugs. It's kind of scary to think about how you can let something like that take control of your life.
Erin Woods
This started out as a difficult read, I generally don't like books about addictions because they are overwhelming and painful. Once I pushed through the hard parts, this was a very sweet and tender story, and the recovery made the book very worth it. I would recommend it.
Maree
Really enjoyed this story--if you can "enjoy" a story about drug dependence. It was skillfully written and I think really brough to light just how easy it would be to be in Janet's (main character's) shoes. Hits home because we ALL know someone like Janet.
Heather
Realistic, entertaining, and educational all wrapped in one--without coming across the least preachy. Story of a woman's struggle with prescription drug addiction. I loved learning what happened to this character from Earning Eternity. Dh loved it too.
Cheri
This book opens up the terrifying and very real life of a prescription drug addict, and the affects her addiction has on the people who love her. The reader sees first hand how quickly a life can spiral out of control, even when it seems perfect.
Heather
I liked this book. You didn't know how it would end and the ending really is wonderful. The power of answered prayers is truly amazing and you see this in the book though the character questions it because of the events that have happened.
Sheryl
Jun 21, 2008 Sheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sheryl by: Crystal White (Josi's sister)
Eye-opening story about a woman struggling with prescription drug use. I read this about the time a family member was going through the same thing, so it really hit home. One of my favorite Josi Kilpack books!
Anne
Made me think about life and how just one person can affect many people. Also I learned how important it is to be honest with the people we love. If we are some conflicts will not arise.
Lynne
I enjoyed this book. I haven't read much about prescription drug abuse. It's fun to read a book that takes place in a location I know. I'm familiar with both Salt Lake and Willard.
Leslie Olsen
I enjoyed this book, gave a lot of information to get help. This is a book about prescription drugs and how easy it is to get addicted.Finding love losing love all in 6 months.
Heather
Couldn't put it down! Makes you understand people with addictions. I LOVE Josi Kilpacks' books...so amazing! I can never just put them down! Such a good author!
Jenifer
i enjoyed this read. it was easy to relate to the characters. it was generally predictable but i enjoyed the story and it captured my attention. finished it in one day.
Danielle
I liked this book. The beginning I was rather annoyed by Janet. I scanned some of the middle of the book but the last third I really liked.
Calli
Very poignant story of a very real, but often ignored, problem -- addiction to prescription drugs. Well-written, but definitely tugs on the heart.
Heather
Intense at moments and yet sad to realize that this is such a common addiction. Good book to make you want to be better in life.
Kristine
Addiction is scary! I liked this book, and it was nice to follow up with some previous characters, but it got a little long.
I'm the third of nine children born and raised in Salt Lake City Utah. I met my husband in high-school--well, he wasn't my husband then, just the cute guy in weight training with the permed mullet--and we married in 1993. I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child and have gone on to publish 18 novels, the most recent being part of The Sadie Hoffmiller Culinary Mystery Series.

I cu...more
More about Josi S. Kilpack...
Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1) English Trifle (A Culinary Mystery, #2) Devil's Food Cake (A Culinary Mystery, #3) Key Lime Pie (A Culinary Mystery, #4) Blackberry Crumble (A Culinary Mystery, #5)