Start by marking “Tempest Tossed” as Want to Read:
Tempest Tossed

Tempest Tossed

Janet has spent her whole life proving herself. She’s on the fast track in her career and nothing will slow her down, not even falling in love with a man who holds the key to helping her find the peace she’s searched for all her life. With two failed marriages behind her it’s easy to be skeptical, but there is something about Tally that’s impossible to ignore. Janet decide ...more
Published January 10th 2004 by Bonneville (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tempest Tossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempest Tossed

Josi
Apr 15, 2008 Josi rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my third published novel and it deals with a woman struggling with prescription drug abuse. It's one of my favorites and I felt like I learned a lot just in the writing and researching of this book. Several people have taken the time to tell me they absolutely hated my main character, I'm okay with that. She didn't necessarily like herself all that much either but since most of my books deal with imperfect women I don't expect anyone to fall in love with her, only, perhaps, to gain a bit ...more
Carrie
Apr 12, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
This book is about prescrition drug use and the roller coaster life it takes the main character on. Interesting and enlightening. I like the way this author really does her research on any given subject in order to capture it's true emotion.

Some good quotes from this book:

"A pickle can never be a cucumber again" ~Dr. Paulson pg. 258

"If you were to break down the word 'honesty' to it's latin roots, you would have two words- hone and est. The meaning of the word hone is to be one. Est means what
Kari
Nov 07, 2011 Kari rated it it was ok
The author's prologue ruined the first half of the book for me. It let me know what was going to happen too soon and then I just wanted to speed read to get back to that point. Instead of being interested in Janet and Tally's meeting I just wanted to get to Janet's downward spiral. Without the prologue, the book would be much better because I would become so much more involved with Tally and Janet in the beginning, allowing me to be that much more invested in the middle and end when things are c ...more
Mommywest
Apr 21, 2011 Mommywest marked it as to-read
I just found this book on Amazon, and it deals with one of the characters from Josi Kilpack's first novel whom I didn't like very much. She shows up in "To Have Or To Hold" as a very likeable character--in fact, as one of the most helpful characters to the main character, Emma. I couldn't reconcile the two representations; having to make up what might have happened in my mind so that I could handle the 180-degree difference. I was excited to find this book because it will complete the bridge for ...more
Rebecca
Dec 16, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
This is an interesting look at drug addition and how it can be so easy to get into this kind of a trap. Janet starts out the book as a headstrong, determined woman. However, she comes to rely on pills as a way of coping with her everyday life. She meets and marries a young man, Tally, and tries to hide her drug addition from him. Eventually, she is 'found out' and tries to take her own life. She is found unconscious in her kitchen before being taken to the hospital. She does recover, but it is a ...more
Kathryn
Mar 27, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Dorry Lou
Sep 06, 2011 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
This was a good book but I am not into drugs and people on them. Janet has had a troublesome life so she depended on pills to help her coop. When she finally meets a guy going thru' his own set of problems, she lies to keep him from knowing her secret drug life. They marry and their life is nothing but problems from the word go. Things come to a head when she tries to kill herself by overdosing. She almost succeeds. The road back for them is very hard and long and her husband wonders if he will ...more
Kristyn
Jun 15, 2011 Kristyn rated it really liked it
Hard to read because you know what's going to happen in this downward spiral. Even medication we think is harmless, can get out of control. It's easy to start justifying our actions when we see good results, but it all builds up to a big challenge in the end.

A good reminder that if we say we 'have' to take something, then we need to look at the reason why we 'have' to have it; because a doctor said so, or because we said so. Addiction is bad, no matter what form it comes in. Eye opening book.
Elaine
Nov 28, 2008 Elaine rated it really liked it
I really went on a rollor coster on this book. I really didn't think they should get together, then when they did I thought she really doens't deserve him. Then I thought maybe he can help her, then agian....no she is just mean. I went back and forth. Now that I am done I still think she doesn't deserve him, hope that doesn't give anything away.
Katherine
Jun 07, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
I really like this author. This book, however, was somewhat hard for me to read. I had a hard time identifying with the main character. At the same time, I think the whole issue of addiction is so important for everyone to understand better, not only so we can avoid addictions, but so that we can have compassion on those who struggle daily with those monsters.
Andrea
Apr 18, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
This novel deals with prescription (and other) drug abuse and addiction. It reminded me in many ways of the documentary "Happy Valley". The story opens with the main character about to commit suicide via overdosing, and then it takes quite awhile to get back to that point. Overall, it was an enjoyable story, with just a few parts that were slow.
tami
Jan 12, 2009 tami rated it it was ok
I appreciated this book because of the addiction factor. At times it really taught me a little about my own struggles, and I felt for the characters. As with many LDS novels, it was a little (little?) predictable. But I don't usually mind that too much, as long as the ride is good. This was a good ride for me.
Nadine
May 19, 2015 Nadine rated it really liked it
Drug addiction is a nasty topic, but Ms Kilpack handles this novel very well. The storyline has no surprises, but her insights into the way an addiction could happen and how it could also get under control are very interesting.
May 21, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok
I liked this book. You didn't know how it would end and the ending really is wonderful. The power of answered prayers is truly amazing and you see this in the book though the character questions it because of the events that have happened.
Cheri
Jul 21, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it
This book opens up the terrifying and very real life of a prescription drug addict, and the affects her addiction has on the people who love her. The reader sees first hand how quickly a life can spiral out of control, even when it seems perfect.
Sheryl
Jun 16, 2008 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sheryl by: Crystal White (Josi's sister)
Eye-opening story about a woman struggling with prescription drug use. I read this about the time a family member was going through the same thing, so it really hit home. One of my favorite Josi Kilpack books!
Heather
Realistic, entertaining, and educational all wrapped in one--without coming across the least preachy. Story of a woman's struggle with prescription drug addiction. I loved learning what happened to this character from Earning Eternity. Dh loved it too.
Maree
Jul 24, 2008 Maree rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story--if you can "enjoy" a story about drug dependence. It was skillfully written and I think really brough to light just how easy it would be to be in Janet's (main character's) shoes. Hits home because we ALL know someone like Janet.
Erin Woods
Jul 23, 2008 Erin Woods rated it it was amazing
This started out as a difficult read, I generally don't like books about addictions because they are overwhelming and painful. Once I pushed through the hard parts, this was a very sweet and tender story, and the recovery made the book very worth it. I would recommend it.
Tanis
Apr 28, 2008 Tanis rated it liked it
This book was very well written and I liked it. I guess the issues addressed in the book were a little disturbing. It's about a woman who struggles with an addiction to prescription drugs. It's kind of scary to think about how you can let something like that take control of your life.
Kristine
Jun 05, 2009 Kristine rated it liked it
Addiction is scary! I liked this book, and it was nice to follow up with some previous characters, but it got a little long.
Leslie Olsen
Sep 27, 2012 Leslie Olsen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, gave a lot of information to get help. This is a book about prescription drugs and how easy it is to get addicted.Finding love losing love all in 6 months.
Marcie
Feb 21, 2014 Marcie rated it did not like it
I didn't end up finishing it. After the first few pages I decided it was just too depressing. With the prologue giving so much of the story away I just couldn't get myself to read it.
Jul 13, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down! Makes you understand people with addictions. I LOVE Josi Kilpacks' books...so amazing! I can never just put them down! Such a good author!
Feb 14, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Intense at moments and yet sad to realize that this is such a common addiction. Good book to make you want to be better in life.
Danielle
May 02, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The beginning I was rather annoyed by Janet. I scanned some of the middle of the book but the last third I really liked.
Jenifer
Feb 20, 2013 Jenifer rated it liked it
i enjoyed this read. it was easy to relate to the characters. it was generally predictable but i enjoyed the story and it captured my attention. finished it in one day.
Joan
Feb 21, 2010 Joan rated it really liked it
A good look at the power drugs have over people.
Feb 02, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
A career woman finds love but also must battle an addiction to pascription drugs. I've liked all of Josi Kilpack's books I've read this one included.
Lynne
Oct 08, 2010 Lynne rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I haven't read much about prescription drug abuse. It's fun to read a book that takes place in a location I know. I'm familiar with both Salt Lake and Willard.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Twice in a Lifetime (Rebekka, #3)
  • My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life
  • Lost Without You
  • Idle Playgrounds
  • Soul Searching
  • Spare Change
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been Historical Romance through the Proper Romance line with Shadow Mountain Publishing.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, and children.
More about Josi S. Kilpack...