Blank-133x176
Works of Edgar Allan P...

Edgar Allan Poe

Works of Edgar Allan Poe with a Study of His Life & Writings

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,534 ratings  ·  42 reviews
THE PURLOINED LETTER THE THOUSAND-AND-SECOND TALE OF SCHEHERAZADE A DESCENT INTO THE MAELSTRÖM. VON KEMPELEN AND HIS DISCOVERY MESMERIC REVELATION THE FACTS IN THE CASE OF M. VALDEMAR THE BLACK CAT. THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER SILENCE—A FABLE THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH. THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO. THE IMP OF THE PERVERSE THE ISLAND OF THE FAY THE ASSIGNATION THE PIT AND T...more
Published by Ams Pr Inc (first published January 1st 1904)

Be the first to ask a question about Works of Edgar Allan Poe with a Study of His Life & Writings

Jenny
I've always been a fan of Poe, and I still am. He's at his best when he's creepy, though. I didn't enjoy the stories where he's more scientific and philosophical. They were boring, and it seemed like Poe was just showing off his knowledge of different fields of study.
I was very surprised by The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym. I didn't even know that Poe wrote a novel, and it was very strange. Looking it up, I discovered that it actually had a major influence on writers as varied as Melville and Borg...more
Kenya Wright
If Edgar was alive I would give him a blow job....

Dan Porter
When Poe is good, he’s one of the best. When he’s not so good, he’s boring at best and just plain silly at worst. If you want to read Poe - and everyone should read him at one time or another - stick with the stories and poems you’ve heard about from as far back as high school.
Mimi
If I have to say something about this masterpiece I think that tiny little box won't fit; because inevitably I'll find myself digging my way through each short story and Poem I've come across; One of the beauties of Poe is that, since his work was all poetry & short stories, you can get everything in a one volume addition like this one.
A must-read. A whole new journey you're going to undergo.
Kimberly Duquette
“TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?” And so begins “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe. The images and characters that Poe presented are still captivating today. Known for his dark, gothic themes, Poe’s work was hugely influential to the short story, horror, and mystery, and genres.
Whitney Watercutter
Thanks to my grandmother, who let me read these out loud for hours. This is where I began reading to people. Nobody else lets me read Poe, though.
Matthias
Es gibt nichts Besseres nach trüben, ereignislosen Tagen.
Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
Subtitle:
Sixty Seven Tales, One Complete Novel and Thirty-one Poems

Contents:

MS Found in a Bottle
Berenice
Morella
Some Passages in the Life of a Lion (Lionizing)
The Unparalleled Adventures of One Hans Pfaall
The Assignation (The Visionary)
Bon-Bon
Shadow: A Parable
Loss of Breath: A Tale Neighter In nor Out of "Blackwood"
King Pest: A Tale Containing an Allegory
Mystification
Ligeia
How to Write a Blackwood Article...more
Alex H
Due to my fascination for dark stories that can both scare and intrigue the reader, it was an inevitable fate that I pick up pieces from the genius literary minds of H. P. Lovecraft and of course Edgar Allan Poe. This semester I read The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe by none other than Edgar Allan Poe. I found every story to be similar to an amusement park ride, you get on feeling anxious with the title of the attraction drawing you in and after a thrilling turn of events with surprises aro...more
Greg
This book has some real high points and some real humdrum boring parts, but overall it was an enjoyable read. I liked how many of Poe's stories were narrated by murderers, deranged, and delusional characters. At the end you ask yourself what part of it was real and what was in the person's head. Many of these stories I was familiar with even if I hadn't read them all, but there were some hidden gems in here as well. I especially enjoyed The Adventures of A. Gordon Pym, which was EAP's only compl...more
Tonya
I keep a copy of this on my desk at work. Love it.
Loretta
I can't give this a rating because it's not quite the right book. I downloaded a free e-book from kobo, and the only Poe work in it that I recognized was the Raven. The other stuff was...really very not interesting. Some essays on poetry, some strange short stories. I am guessing this is a collection of his early work, but I cannot find the right book/edition in goodreads, nor in Gutenberg. So I will leave this unrated, and try and find some of the good Poe stuff to read, sometime soon.

It was w...more
Emma Klinghammer
Gothic and fantastic
Tracie
Really, it's overrated. As a huge fan of Gothic literature, I was expecting to see Poe as a hero... really, there isn't anything scary about his books. I tried to like them, I really did, but I couldn't really find anything about them that I enjoyed.

The Raven was excellent, though. One of my favorite poems to date. The perfect mix of mystery, darkness, and suspense.
John Safrasnki
He had misfortune during his youth he was not telling anyone about. His darness underscores the mans genius, he painted a very detailed sculpture with his vision blurred with disapointment. He gave rise to insidious thought-provoking dialect many are afraid to share. He gives credence to the thought it is ok to be desponent at times.
Nepeta Leijon
Edgar Allan Poe is...amazing. He is such a great inspiration in writing. I cannot see how people call him overrated.

He was a genius and yes, I am a huge Poe fan.

His stories are so disturbing and thought provoking that they give me chills. Poe is not scary, he is disturbing, thrilling, but most of all, amazing.
Ross Beresford
I actually read Volume 2 of the Project Gutenberg version as an EPUB on my Nook. Some wonderful stories (The Cask of Amontillado; The Purloined Letter; etc), some just very weird to modern eyes (The Island of the Fay; Landor's Cottage).
C.
Nerdy me carried this book around with me everywhere I went from 1979 to 1988. I love the deep, darkness of Poe's works. My personal favorite is the poem "Alone." It comforted me that someone else felt the way I did.
If dark and twisty turns you on, this is the book for you.
Joseph Devoll
I've read just about everything Poe has written. I started reading his work early in my life. In modern day his works may not be as "scary" as others, but he tells one heck of a story.
So for all the kids out there, pick up some of his classic darkness!
Ehsan El Kirdany

I read the Project Gutenberg in 5 volumes from the iBooks store. Though I wasn't thrilled with the narratives, I reveled at his chilling descriptions and shocking plots of his stories. Poe is a master.
Dena
This is either you like or you don't so I rated it accordingly. I think his work is sad and even though the words are beautiful it still brings sadness especially his earlier work.
Shameera
Just as good as when I read them in high school. Vivid, rich, imaginative, dark and dreary. My favorites are Hop-Frog, Ligea, Pit and the Pendulum and of course the Raven.
Corey Bard
A definitive 1 vol. of Poe: discoveries I had not previously read included "Morella" or "The Premature Burial" setting the tone for celebrating Halloween.
Kindred
Από τους πρώτους συγγραφείς που διάβασα. Τώρα τον διαβάζω και στα αγγλικά και μ' αρέσει ακόμα περισσότερο. Αλλά δεν είναι για όλους.
Michael Parker
Poe should never be read in one sitting. Every short story becomes the same: paranoia, perversion, burial (usually while alive).
Ken
amazing book! i own a old copy of it!.... if anyone knows the value and what an original looks like, pls message me :)
Patricia
Typically I like happy endings, but it's such a pleasure to be drawn into the darkness of the human mind by Poe!
Ian Good
I have this book in leather bound have read some short stories out of this book edgar allan poe is some good stuff !!
A.
Weirdest thing I've ever read. Read it while recuperating from my bike accident in Nov 2005.
Federica
I racconti sono avvincenti, tormentati e maledettamente mozzafiato! Da leggere assolutamente!
  • The Arabian Nights Entertainments
  • The Cat Who... Omnibus 01 (Books 1-3): The Cat Who Could Read Backwards / The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern / The Cat Who Turned On and Off
  • American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History's Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
  • Favorite Poems
  • The Lady of the Lake
  • War of the Black Curtain (The Jimmy Fincher Saga, #4)
  • Dark Shadows: Angélique's Descent
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Winter Poems
  • Poems by Walt Whitman
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • The Desert Is Theirs
  • Complete Works of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Nevermore (Edgar Allan Poe Mystery #1)
  • The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems [Illustrated]
  • Cimarron
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado