Start by marking “Heaven Is a Place on Earth: Why Everything You Do Matters to God” as Want to Read:
Heaven Is a Place on Earth: Why Everything You Do Matters to God

Heaven Is a Place on Earth: Why Everything You Do Matters to God

I don’t want to go to heaven. Not that I’m lobbying for the other place . . .
—Michael Wittmer

This planet is more than just a stopover on your way to heaven. It is your final destination. God wants you to enjoy your earthly existence, and to think otherwise is to miss the life he intends for you.

Exploring the book of Genesis, Heaven Is a Place on Earth gently but firmly str
Published May 2nd 2004 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven Is a Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven Is a Place on Earth

Al
Aug 31, 2015 Al rated it did not like it
Not sure who this is addressed to. I and friends, not to mention many of my favorite authors, have discussed this subject together for as long as I can remember. I quit half way through a long chapter on the fall despairing that anything interesting would come from continuing.
Heather
Aug 05, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
Since a friend (who is friends with the author of this book) recommended it to me, I thought I’d give it a shot. I only read about of the book--got a little tired of the author making broad statements, then acknowledging they were too general, as well as using stereotypical examples of gender roles. He also brought in some highly political issues and basically told readers that we should agree with his viewpoints, subsequently brushing off the fact that the issues can actually be much more comp ...more
Kara
An excellent treatment of the creation, fall, redemption story and a much needed corrective to common theological extremes. On the one hand the remnants of Gnostic influence leas to the idea that the ultimate goal of the Christian is to escape this world to heaven and on the other hand the Gospel is reduced to simply a social gospel in the here and now. These extremes lead to either an escapist attitude and neglect of the creation and human society or an unhealthy focus on them.

Mike Wittmer doe
Jimmy
Aug 12, 2009 Jimmy marked it as to-read
Graham Cooke once quoted his daughter's response to his question about how her relationship with God was lately. To paraphrase, she said that sometimes it feels like her relationship with God is dynamic and it's like she's taking an elevator to the very top floor and meeting with God on a higher spiritual plane. She went on to say that other times she feels like she has to take the stairs and when she can only muster enough strength to get up a couple of steps, God meets her there, as well.

Latel
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 Christopher M. rated it really liked it
I liked it. This is a topic that needed to be turned into a book by someone with his head on straight. The issue of redeeming creation and culture is one which too often is monopolized by folks who don't really believe much of anything as far as historical, conservative theology goes. I'm not sure he satisfactorily addressed potential criticisms in his final chapter, especially a concern I still have, that this will be seen as a gospel for middle-class, suburban America. Overall, though, he does ...more
Rebekah
From the description, I was under the impression this book was about Christian living and exploring the relationship of heaven and earth now and after the final resurrection. While there were certainly a few chapters devoted to those topics, the book is mostly just a very broad, accessible, theology text. It reads as a much more enjoyable Theology 101 textbook than most doctrinal theology books I've read. However, if I had known that's what it was I would have probably passed. I've read plenty o ...more
Tom
Sep 18, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing
"I don't want to go to heaven. Not that I'm lobbying for the other place..." With a opening line such as that, I knew I was in for a good, challenging book. I was not disappointed. What are we ultimately created for? Heaven? or Earth? Where do we spend eternity? Heaven? Or a recreated heaven that comes down and "sets up shop" on a recreated, renewed, restored Earth?

Jeff
Jan 30, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
The biblical story is formative of a redemptive (world)view of all of God's world. This book is a well-written presentation of all of that. Pleased to see that a professor of systematic theology (the author) could keep the "big picture" in mind. Ha! Highly recommended for those weaned on the "Repent! Avoid Hell! Trust Jesus! message.
John
Oct 10, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, 2009
Excellent read covering the basic categories of Creation, Fall, Redemption & Restoration. Accessible.
Mike
Jun 13, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Good book
Saulo
Saulo rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Jennifer Szunko
Jennifer Szunko rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Alisia Nichole
Alisia Nichole rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Michael Schellman
Michael Schellman rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Crystal Faye
Crystal Faye rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Aaron Sheckler
Aaron Sheckler rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
William M Crossan
William M Crossan rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Caleb Smith
Caleb Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Jarrod
Jarrod rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Marvin Johnson
Marvin Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2010
Levi Nelson
Levi Nelson rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Laura J.
Laura J. rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Michael Kruse
Michael Kruse rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2009
Carisa Ash
Carisa Ash rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Brett Shilton
Brett Shilton rated it really liked it
May 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • The Transforming Vision: Shaping a Christian World View
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • Work in the Spirit: Toward a Theology of Work
  • The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior
  • One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow
  • Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master. Living Passionately for the Glory of God
  • Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living
  • The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story
  • It Came from Within!: The Shocking Truth of What Lurks in the Heart
  • Earthen Vessels: Why Our Bodies Matter To Our Faith
  • Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art
  • The Jesus of Suburbia: Have We Tamed the Son of God to Fit Our Lifestyle?

Michael Wittmer is currently Professor of Systematic Theology at GRTS in Grand Rapids, MI. He is the author of Heaven Is a Place on Earth, Don’t Stop Believing, The Last Enemy, and Despite Doubt. He and his wife, Julie, live in Grand Rapids, Michigan with their three children: Avery, Landon, and Alayna.
More about Michael E. Wittmer...