This Place on Earth: Home and the Practice of Permanence

This Place on Earth: Home and the Practice of Permanence

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Alan Durning spent several years traveling the world as an environmental policy analyst. When a Filipino tribeswoman asked him to describe his home, he found that he could not, answering weakly, "In America, we have careers, not places." Determined to change all that, he brought his family to his native Northwest to make a home--by which Durning means learning the geology...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Sasquatch Books

Rosemary
The Pacific Northwest (including Canada's Pacific Southwest) is one of the more environmental regions in North America, which doesn't mean it doesn't still have a long way to go.
Alan Thein Durning, with a book jacket comment from David Suzuki, Canada's top environmentalist, knits together personal lives, neighborhood life and regional practices (forestry, salmon conservation, municipal policies, state policies) to help us understand what is collectively being done to our corner of the earth. Slo...more
Beth Barnett
If you can get past Durning's frequent digressions into his own personal life experiences, this book is a decent read. Creative non-fiction style, Durning approaches the question of whether being rooted in a geographical place, and having a commitment to a place and community is more valuable than the freedom to move around and feel attached to nothing.
Chrissy
This didn't help very much as a resource for an essay I'm working on as it's written very specifically for and about the Pacific Northwest ... but it did leave me wanting to create something similar for my bioregion.
David
Not only is this a terrific book connecting personal sense of home to broader global concerns, it also gives great details about the Pacific Northwest--the best place on earth.
Betsy
Jul 22, 2012 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, gaia
Great look at the politics, ecology and history of the Pacific Northwest. The juxtaposition with the personal keeps the abstract from being too overwhelming.
Beth
Alan Thein Durning weaves his personal story of reconnecting with the Pacific Northwest with more broader views of what it takes to have a sustainable place.
Heather
I absolutely loved this book. It really made me think about people and architecture and how we lead our lives. I need to read it again!
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Laurel Narizny
Laurel Narizny marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Lisha Doucet
Lisha Doucet marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Katie Vanbeek
Katie Vanbeek marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Erin Murphy
Erin Murphy is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012
David
David added it
Jun 02, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth The Car And The City: 24 Steps To Safe Streets And Healthy Communities (New Report, No. 3) This Place On Earth 2001:  Guide To A Sustainable Northwest Tax Shift: How to Help the Economy, Improve the Environment, and Get the Tax Man Off Our Backs (New Report) Guardians of the Land: Indigenous Peoples and the Health of the Earth