Start by marking “Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)

Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family #3)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  634 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Lady Maura O'Donnell swore to her father on his deathbed that she'd recover the Circle of Light, an enchanted Celtic relic that had brought the family prosperity—until it was stolen a century earlier by a notorious pirate. Now the pirate's descendant, the Duke of Gleneden, holds this rare treasure, and Maura would give anything to get it back . . .

Alec McBride knows when h
Published February 24th 2009 by Avon (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bride of a Wicked Scotsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bride of a Wicked Scotsman

The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaught
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
149th out of 331 books — 641 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Anna QuindlenDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyOutlander by Diana GabaldonLeon and Esther by Dorothy May MercerSuddenly You by Lisa Kleypas
Best Romance Authors Ever
75th out of 250 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

Verity
Mar 14, 2010 Verity rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Insomniac, caffeine-immune peeps only
My coding instructor often drummed onto my head before our @$$-numbing online exams : always go w/ your 1st instinct, don’t 2nd guess your choice. Alas, my poor memory didn’t retain her sage advice. For some unfathomable reason I decided to go w/ this book instead of the other ones I’ve initially picked for my MBC. Lessons learned : don’t be wishy-washy, be a completist reader. I picked this on a whim, it fits the MBC / Irish theme. Emerald-eyed Irish chick, Irish setting, a bit of ‘green’ on th ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 13, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Samantha James penned a winner for me with "Bride of a Wicked Scotsman". This is her final book starring members of the McBride family and this time we learn more about the eldest brother Alec.

Long ago there was a proud Irish family, the McDonoughs, and they lived on a prosperous estate; partly thanks to a magical relic called the Circle of Light. Then one day a pirate called the Black Scotsman sailed in and stole the Circle of Light and ever since, the McDonough lands have languished and the fa
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jul 19, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
This book has been on my mind lately, so I decided I should review it.
I really enjoyed this book. The idea is that Lady Maura's father dies and begs her to reclaim the family's glory by finding a certain artifact that brought them wealth and prosperity. several generations ago, it was stolen by the pirate the Black Scotsman. And one of his descendants is now being dubbed the Black Scotsman, so Maura concocts this scheme to get herself compromised, then wed, search his estates and make of with
Lelyana
Sep 30, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing
" IF YOU DIG A GRAVE FOR OTHERS, YOU MIGHT FALL INTO IT YOURSELF"

Kata bijak dari uncle Murdoch untuk maura yang bermaksud menjebak Alec McBride , Duke of Glenadale dalam perkawinan pura-pura yang bertujuan hanya mencari dan menemukan kembali artefak Circle of light yang di curi dari nenel moyang nya oleh bajak laut, The Black Scotsman, nenek moyang Alec.

Koisah di mulai dengan mitos tentang Circle of Light di Irlandia, yang di curi oleh bajak laut, The Black Scotsman. Sampai anak cucu, klan Maur
Romance Novel TV
Mar 11, 2009 Romance Novel TV rated it liked it
Reviewed by: Andrea Williamson for Romance Novel TV
Publisher: Avon

Centuries ago, an ancient Celtic relic, The Circle of Light, resided within the church on McDonough land. As long as the people worshipped and protected it, the Circle brought fortune and good luck to everyone there. And then one night a greedy pirate, the Black Scotsman, stole the ethereal artifact for his own, placing a terrible curse upon both families…

Despite the degradation of Castle McDonough and its surrounding lan
Sandy M
Jul 27, 2011 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
My first thought just a chapter or so into this book was that it’s going way too slow, even for me. But I’m happy to say that it picked up with the appearance of the hero and I ended up really enjoying this story. It is a theme we’ve read a lot of over the years, hero is tricked into marriage, though usually it’s not the heroine. In this case it is and her reasons are different enough to keep things interesting. And I liked these two characters together, even when things weren’t going that well ...more
Amelia
Mar 21, 2010 Amelia rated it it was ok
Ohhhhh what happened!?

This is in the same series as The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell but it seems as if the books are from two entirely different worlds... and not in a good way.

I felt like the beginning was fabulous. It had a lot of potential... then things just puttered out. Maura's arrival and adjustment at Gleneden was dragged out. There should have been more focus on the curse or something other than ... "Oh! I can't fall in love with the bloody Black Scotsman!"

Speaking of the "Scotsma
Ann Keller
Jul 05, 2012 Ann Keller rated it it was amazing
Desperation drives Lady Maura O’Donnell into the arms of her greatest enemy in search of the Circle of Light. The treasured Celtic relic was her family’s talisman and the hope of the people, unfortunately lost long ago to the hands of a ruthless pirate. Maura will risk anything to get the Circle back - even wedding the duke himself!

It isn’t long before the Duke of Glenenden suspects he’s been tricked into a hasty marriage. Fortunately, his anger at being roped and shackled by Lady Maura is slowl
Jill Twigg
Apr 27, 2013 Jill Twigg rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The banter between "Irish" and "Scotsman" was fun to read. The passion Maura felt towards her goal of finding the "Circle of Light," to restore to her clan was admiring. Nothing was going to stop her. I wasn't sure if it was just going to be a myth or if she would actually find it. And heart stopping moment when you just knew Alec was going to figure her all out, was almost stressful, but exhilarating at the same time. I was laughing as he was figuring it out, because that's wha ...more
ceecee
Oct 22, 2014 ceecee rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I read the last installment to the series first, but after reading this book I'm now trying to get the first two books to read as well. This book was also a fast read with a bit of a magical twist.

This book is about Lady Maura O'Donnell. Upon her fathers death bed she makes a vow to find and bring back the circle of light. A magical stone that was taken by the pirate "The Black Scotsman" two hundred years ago. Alec McBride, the Duke of Gleneden, also known as the Black Scotsman is
Caro
Jan 14, 2016 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, own
This was a pretty good book. I loved the characters, the personalities, imagination and creativity, the emotions, ups and downs, and the definite HEA. A good read that keeps you on your toes, mentally, and reading for more. Enjoy!
Songül
Oct 19, 2014 Songül rated it liked it
Historicalromance okuma duygusundan daha çok mistik , gizemli bir fantastik kitap gibi geldi bana , şöyle ki ; kadın kahramanımızın ailesine ait değerli mistik özelliği olan Işık Çemberi Kara İskoç tabiri ile anılan bir korsan Tarafından yağmalanıp çalınır ve nesiller geçtikçe çemberi bulma arayışları içerisinde çemberin laneti iki aileninde kaderini şekillendirir , zaten hikayede bundan sonra başlar . Aslında kurgu ve hikayeyi ben beğendim fakat yazardan mı çeviriden mi tam olarak bilmesemde bi ...more
Kimberly
Apr 20, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/F...

Centuries ago, Clan McDonough was charged with guarding the Circle of Light, a ring so wondrous it brought the clan prosperity and good fortune. Until the night it was stolen by the pirate called the Black Scotsman. Ever since then, McDonough lands have suffered and the lords of McDonough are all fated to die without warning, before their time.

Lady Maura O’Donnell swore on her father’s deathbed that she would
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
This is a must read book for anyone who loves a good historical novel. It's not as steamy as some of the newer ones are, but it's pretty good in it's own right.

This story is based on an old Celtic myth (which I think is really James' creation), called the Circle of Light. This is a light paranormal element, as well as the "second sight" or "intuition" that the characters experience throughout the book.

I like that this mythic Circle of Light was the crux of the plot and Maura's obtaining it, th
Ada
Jun 23, 2012 Ada rated it liked it
Sherrie
Jan 05, 2012 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
This is one of 3 new books I picked up at the library. I really enjoyed reading about Lady Maura and the Duke of Gleneden. They were very likeable characters. Along with the romance there was a mystery to solve. Maura is out to find the Circle of Light. It was stolen by The Black Pirate from her home and her people and lands were cursed along with The Black Pirate. Maura's father forces a deathbed promise from her to find the Circle of Light and bring it back home. Maura sets out to entice Alec, ...more
Sylvie
Jan 22, 2015 Sylvie rated it really liked it
Well I loved Alec and Maura, but I felt shot-changed. I love it when I reading a series, revisiting the previous heroes and heroines. They give flavor to the story, especially the immediate story before. Anyways. It was a good read.
Leya
Feb 09, 2013 Leya rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-book
Judith
May 20, 2015 Judith rated it really liked it

Bride of a Wicked Scotsman is a sweet little book. A good 'escape' book. Good plot, characters and the story keeps your attention. Lets you go back in time and escape the everyday.
Jessi
On her father's deathbed, Lady Maura O'Donnell promised him that she would try to bring back their family's heirloom, the Circle of Light. It was stolen generations ago by the Black Scotsman. Since them, their family's lands and tenants have suffered mightily.
She hatches a plan to "compromise" the current Duke of Gleneden into "marriage" (she's not going to really trap the man after all.)
Alec McBride (the duke) knows that he's been tricked and while he really is upset, he also isn't that upset,
Lynne Tull
Mar 03, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
If you like fairy tales, then this is the book for you. I did like the fairy tale. I really had hoped for a better story for Alec McBride, the Duke of Gleneden. He deserved better. Of course, the fairy tale had a happy ending. It was how the story got us there that was disappointing. If you have read the first two books of this series, then you will definitely want to read this one. However, I found it somewhat disconnected from the first two. The Duke of this book did not seem to be the Duke po ...more
Barbara ★
Lady Maura O'Donnell set out to trap a Scottish Duke and now she's caught in her own trap. Serves her right. Poor Alec, he may be a womanizer but he did no wrong here. The battle of wills between Maura and Alec is rather entertaining. However, once Alec realizes what she has done, it's going to take a lot for him to trust her again.

Alec makes a terrific hero as he is gentle and very understanding. Maura, though deceitful (but for a valid reason), is a good hearted and kind person. A very entert
Sue
Jul 02, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2009
Nothing special.
Houa
Jul 26, 2013 Houa rated it really liked it
Jessica
Feb 16, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Book 3 of 3. Alec's story.

Maura has a naughty plan, to ensconce herself in Alec's household, in order to recover an enchanted family relic.
Reminded me of Julia Quinn's writing, with the sweetness between Maura and Alec, the humor and the scheming...I may have found my next favorite historical romance author.
Dancer
Jun 17, 2009 Dancer rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed in this book because I absolutely loved The Seduction of an Unknown Woman and the characters of Fiona and Aidian. I wanted to see what would happen to Aidian's brother Alec, but this was just a mishmash of ideas. James did not develop the characters or the story line well.
Johanna
Feb 12, 2013 Johanna rated it it was amazing
An entertaining, fast paced love story that works, and works well! Steamy sex scenes and excellently written story lines, character development and all of the little elements that make a good romance are present in this tome by James. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Brittany
Sep 22, 2013 Brittany rated it did not like it
Shelves: historicals
Grr, this book was just aggravating. I didn't like the supernatural side and I just could not stand the "heroine." For the entire book I just wanted to smack her!! Such an annoying, lying, deceitful woman!! Wish Alec could have ended up with someone way better than her!
Cherie
Apr 10, 2015 Cherie added it
Shelves: dnf
I am not a fan of the deception trope. No man/woman is going to fall in love with someone who has deceived them. None. There cannot be trust and without trust there cannot be love. My personal opinion. This was a DNF for me.
Christine
Oct 02, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
2.5

This wasn't actively bad, but it lacked anything that compelled me to truly enjoy it -- the characters were flat, the situation silly (not in a humorous way), the chemistry weak, and the reasons for staying apart flimsy.
  • A Scotsman in Love
  • Taken By The Laird (Regency Flings, #2)
  • The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • The Bodyguard (Captive Hearts, #3)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation
  • A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1)
  • To Tame a Dangerous Lord (Courtship Wars, #5)
  • Loved By a Warrior (The Warrior King, #2)
  • Desires of a Perfect Lady (Lost City #3)
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • A Touch of Scandal (James Family, #2)
  • A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2)
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
Growing up in Joliet, Illinois, Samantha James had many childhood aspirations--being a writer was never one of them. When she was ten, she was certain she was destined to be an astronomer. That soon changed (happened a lot during those pre-teen years!) when she decided archaeology was in her future. Detective work was her next goal, thanks to the Trixie Belden mysteries she was reading, and before ...more
More about Samantha James...

McBride Family (3 books)
  • The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell (McBride Family, #1)
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)