Start by marking “Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire” as Want to Read:
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A historical account of New York's 1911 industrial disaster
Published August 1st 2008 by Morgan Reynolds Publishing (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

Such a sad chapter in American history. So many people (mostly young, immigrant women) perished either by fire or falling to the pavement. Fortunately, the investigation into this incident led to reforms in the conditions of factory workers.

Reading the description of the fear and confusion during the fire, I couldn't help but make a connection to the events of 9-11; people dying in a fire or jumping to the ground to escape burning to death.
It's the 100-year anniversary of a major touchstone in union activism, worker's rights: the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, just off of Washington Square, where 146 girls and women died in a factory where fire exits were locked from the outside (to prevent employees from stealing cotton scraps) and fire escapes were flimsy enough to fall right off of the building when anyone tried to use them. The fire lasted 15 or 20 minutes and had immense consequences for labor law, women's rights and immig ...more
Chocked full of historical data, gruesome pictures and heart breaking testimony, this YA book leaves nothing to your imagination as it lays out the timeline and details leading up to the havoc wreaked by this fire, and its aftermath.

4:45PM, quitting time, March 25, 1911, FIRE! panic ensues on the eighth floor
4:50PM, elevator collapses under the bodies of women who jumped after it down the shaft
4:57 approximately 40 women, hair and clothes on fire, fall from the windows of the ninth floor...
Not a bad book. Much more about the labor movement since the fire than the fire itself, and more suited for a YA book than an adult non-fiction book.
I'm not going to lie the book wasnt directly assigned for school but we watched a video about it and I became intrested in doing something along these lines for my English paper. So that's my reasoing for being the nerd I am and going to get it at the library. Honestly, though I ended up mostly skimming and picking out quotes and information that I could use specifically in my very own excerpt ^^ But nonetheless it's a horrible, horrible even that I ironically enjoyed learing and reading about.
I'm not sure if this is the book I read--there're evidently several on the subject. I can't recommend a best version (haven't seen all of them), but it's a subject people need to know about.
Lisa Lambert
Lisa Lambert marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Izetta Autumn
Izetta Autumn marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Megan Severance
Megan Severance marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Kyra marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Bianca marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
AMG added it
May 19, 2014
Lena Losacano
Lena Losacano marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Sandi marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
ThePinkCarrot marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Maryann Nicola
Maryann Nicola marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Melanie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013