Start by marking “Alligator Sue” as Want to Read:
Alligator Sue

Alligator Sue

"All you can do is be who you is."

Suzanne Marie Sabine Chicot Thibodeaux (called Sue for short) lives on a houseboat deep in Louisiana's Atchafalaya Swamp. One lazy summer afternoon when the air grows heavier than a catfish's bath towel, a hurricane swoops Sue up -- only to drop her like a hot patate into the swamp below. Sue finds herself nose-to-snout with a queen-sized,
Published August 6th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Alligator Sue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alligator Sue

Brittany
Dec 04, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it

This is the story about a girl named Sue who lives in the bayous of Louisiana on a house boat. One night there is a big storm and Sues house gets to rocking and her family loses track of Sue. When she awakes, she finds herself cuddled up next to an alligator. She things that this gator is sure going to eat her alive, but much to her dismay, the alligator takes her in and takes care of her while she is looking for her family. When she finds her family, her and the alligator celebrate in a big ce
Hanim
Feb 09, 2009 Hanim rated it it was ok
This is a cute little story of a little girl in the bayou swamps of Louisiana...getting blown away by a hurricane she is raised by a mama gator and 30 other siblings. It has a good message for children on finding out who you are and to be true to yourself, but the words and language maybe hard for little readers to get through. It is fun to read if you throw in a cajun accent!
It is was a good read from the local library, but not one we would own; the pictures are cute to keep smaller children en
Thecajungirl
Aug 22, 2014 Thecajungirl rated it it was amazing
Although my children are in 5th and 7th grade this book has never been
tucked away. From the very first read they were both hooked. I recommend reading this book in a very animated manner. My children were soon reading this book independently. This book can be independently read by most first and second graders provided the reader is functioning on grade level. The illustrations are wonderful. The story easily opens up the discussion of "What would you do if you found yourself alone?" We covered
Karen
I was really enjoying this "Jungle Book on the bayou" take- the language and illustrations are great, and even though it is a little lengthier than your average picture book, it definitely held the kids' attention. But I had to subtract a star at the end - why in the world does Sue not care about her parents? It bothered me that they disappeared and that was that for Sue's feelings for them.
Luis
Feb 15, 2015 Luis rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Alligator Sue shares an interesting story. The book's cover is enticing and even though the story is very descriptive, the author leaves a lot of room for readers to make inferences about Sue. That said, I would have rated the book a 5 if the illustrations were not as crowded. Some ideals here would be inclusion/sense of belonging, enjoying some play time, and coping with a family breakup.
Taylar Brooks
Feb 24, 2015 Taylar Brooks rated it really liked it
This book would be good for students that are in fifth grade and up. It's a little long, and a lot of the words said in the story were little difficult. Some of the words were even complicated for me to pronounce and read. It's a really good story though. It has a saddening beginning but has a happy ending. Telling about family and finding yourself.
Carson Marie
Aug 28, 2014 Carson Marie rated it really liked it
A cute book with fun flare illustrations that take you into the cajun lifestyle. A great way to introduce children into another culture in the U.S. I would like to use this in a classroom and involve the geography of the area, music, and history in this area.
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Summer
Summer rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2010
Sara K
Sara K rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2008
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2009
Cade
Cade rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2008
Ramonalp
Ramonalp rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Bcisthebomb
Bcisthebomb rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Danielle Smith
Danielle Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Khipi
Khipi rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Shantel
Shantel rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
538pm_chriswong
538pm_chriswong rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Robin
Jun 07, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
Illustrations reminded me of Quentin Blake's in Roald Dahl's "The Enormous Crocodile"
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Shelli
Shelli rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Chris Young
Chris Young rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014