We Are All Fine Here

We Are All Fine Here

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Julia has been married to Jim for fifteen years, and admittedly, the thrill is mostly gone. So it's no big surprise that, like so many women in her position, she finds herself thinking a bit too much about the one who got away - in Julia's case, the one in question is Ray, the rugged, impulsive lover of her college years. Now pushing forty, trapped in a job she doesn't car...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 2004)

Danielle
Apr 22, 2008 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: readers
Loved, loved, loved this book. It is my style--that slice of life story that is more rooted in actual life. She writes in such an awesome flip way about these really dark and awful things that ALL of us have to face. I loved it and have tried to pass it along to everyone I have ever met.
Michele
God awful. It's like listening to a seventh grader talking about the boy they like (Does he like me back? He looked at me in 3rd period so that could mean that he likes me but when I passed him in the hall I moved to brush past him and he moved so we didn't actually touch and he wasn't looking at me and what do you think that means? etc.) The main character has confused cynicism with humor. She has nothing to offer those around her but can't understand why they aren't all falling over to worship...more
Kristin
Mar 07, 2008 Kristin rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: see below
hmmm...don't really know how explain this one! This was reviewed as "laugh out loud funny" - I spent the whole book waiting for a laugh (suppressed or otherwise!) While I didn't find it a painful read, I certainly didn't find it enjoyable. I would recommend this book to those women who have cheated on their husbands, find themselves pregnant and are uncertain as to which man may be responsible for paternity. Or perhaps other readers of questionable moral values may find this a "good read."
Natalie
Nov 04, 2007 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: 2007
This book is one of the best I have read in a long time. Funny, sarcastic, and yet it hits on many of life's sad ironic truths.
Ben Loory
it looks like chicklit, but it's a harrowingly spiralling, almost beckettian meditation on the inevitability of loss over time. and, like beckett, it's funny as hell... and more than a little crazy...

Ray keeps not calling. He is not going to call me back. This is all so typical and perfect. As if he would call me back! Of all the things I can count on in life, this is the most consistent: that when I need him most, Ray will not be there.

And then the phone rings and I break my cardinal rule of ne
Susane Colasanti
Mary Guterson says the things we're all thinking, but are too afraid to say. She goes there. You will relate to this book.
Heather KS
I really liked this book. It was funny in that sarcastic kind of "isn't it funny how life works out" way.
Marjorie Kubacki
This book proves the adage: Misery loves company. Not one person is this book is happy, all of the people pretty much live miserable lives.
This is a story about a woman who at age 40 finds herself pregnant, but the dilemma arises, is the baby's father her husband ( a sports writer who has his own secret affair going with a young woman in his office) or the college boyfriend ( an egocentric man who cares only for himself). The main character has no redeeming qualities, her only quality at first s...more
Kathaileen
Julia goes to a wedding and has a tryst with her college boyfriend. She becomes pregnant and doesn’t know if it was from the “never able to commit” old boyfriend or her distant husband. The author writes the thoughts that really do come out of people’s heads.
It has been fun lately to read books that have no educational or historic value, just pure fun. If I would have tried to underline the clever banter in this book, the whole thing would have been marked up. If was fast and fun. I’m not sure I...more
Sheila
I did not enjoy this book as much as I hoped I would. I expected some funny dialog, some interesting insight into this woman's life and family and what I found was a whiny "adult" who couldn't give up her old boyfriend, couldn't give up her life when she was with her old boyfriend and in general a book that made me feel as though I was listening to a teenage girl talk about her life. I must admit the book did have some redeeming qualities at the end of the book when she and her family goes throu...more
Marilyn
The author, Mary Guterson, is the sister of Snow Falling on Cedars author David Guterson, but I hadn't realized that until after I read the book. Her style is very different from her brother's. Mary is witty and often sarcastic and blunt as she writes from her character's point of view. Several times I laughed out loud, despite this being a rather dark tale. When I finished, I felt so grateful to Mary for writing that I sent her an e-mail telling her so. I'd never attempted to contact an author...more
Morgue Anne
I really enjoyed this book, even though it was pretty much cookie-cutter chick lit.
We are all Fine Here follows a woman who becomes pregnant from a one-night encounter with an ex boyfriend. The problem here is that she's already married and has a teenage son. Theren lies the problem.
The only issue I really had was that it was too short. I felt like, even though the story ended at a good point in the woman's life, the author really could have taken it another hundred pages or so.
Elizabeth
A not so perfect character, a not so perfect setting and life, but a well written story. This character keeps making big mistakes, but we can sympathize anyway, and still end up liking her. The description makes it sound like typical light chic lit, but it is more than that.
Sara L.
Wow. This was a quick, easy read. I go through it in a couple of days. Most of it cracked me up. I didn't exactly see the end coming, and ended up in tears. Wow, what an emotional roller coaster. Great book.
C
I read this in less then 6 hours. Very quick read. I was laughing from the first page. Then all of a sudden you notice you are not laughing but crying and then the book is done. Good quick read!
Kate Walker
I don't really do chick lit, but I loved this. Mostly I loved laying in bed all day and reading the whole thing cover to cover. That is what chick lit is for and it deserves to exist for that reason alone.
Becki
Eh. I found it quite boring. I didn't find any of it laugh out loud funny. I didn't fall in love with the main character [and the story is from her point of view:]. It was just... okay, at best.
Jan
Ok, I read this book several years ago and really liked it.
I've been waiting for her next book. Is there one?
Katherine Owen
Love this book. It's funny, deftly written. Guterson is a talented writer. This is a fun read for the beach.
Michelle

Julia was horribly unlikable yet lovingly honest at the same time. Interesting and a little dark.
Kris
So far, this book is hilarious... Of course, I shouldn't be saying that before page 10.
Sheryl
I really liked this book, it was a quick read and it touched all my emotions.
Beatrice
The author has a wonderfully dark, ironic sense of humor. Wonderful voice.
Alison
Nov 12, 2007 Alison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: women
Quick read...hilarious!
Totally could relate. Oh the days of Scuba Steve.
Frances Rivers
Camille
An honest and original novel which was entertaining and readable.
Mary Lea
Good book... a little sad but still a good read.
Jenene
Loved this author's style of writing.
Gail
Feb 16, 2009 Gail rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: someone
Shelves: read-in-2009
Mediocre chick lit--witty in many ways and a very fast read.

To like the book you have to find humor (or maybe identify with) a suburban mother who is pregnant, possibly by an old boyfriend she has never gotten over, while her husband is possibly having an affair at the office, while her teenage son is stealing joints out of her purse, which doesn't seem to upset her much, nor does it upset her to find the teenage son's girlfriend emerging naked from his bedroom.
The neighbor's husband has run off...more
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Sweet Ruin
  • Why Moms Are Weird
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • The Good People of New York
  • The Men I Didn't Marry
  • Mine Are Spectacular!
  • The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch (Lucy Hatch, #1)
  • Me vs. Me
  • Mistress
  • Mixed Messages (Love Letters, #2)
  • Pick Me Up
  • Him Her Him Again the End of Him
  • Around the Next Corner
  • The Calligrapher
  • The Washingtonienne
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • Bed Rest
Gone to the Dogs Ein Hund ist auch keine Lösung Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices

“You can live through most anything as long as you have the right tranquilizers on hand.” 4 likes