Start by marking “Washington Schlepped Here: Walking In The Nation's Captial” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Washington Schlepped H...
Christopher Buckley

Washington Schlepped Here: Walking In The Nation's Captial (Crown Journeys Series)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The father of our country slept with Martha, but schlepped in the District. Now in the great man’s footsteps comes humorist and twenty-year Washington resident Christopher Buckley with the real story of the city’s founding. Well, not really. We’re just trying to get you to buy the book. But we can say with justification that there’s never been a more enjoyable, funny, and ...more
Published (first published April 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Washington Schlepped Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Washington Schlepped Here

This book was recommended by my son-in-law, the history prof. I enjoyed it's light-hearted approach to the history of the city of Washington D.C.
David P
Trust me: I have lived in the Washington area for over 40 years. If you, from far beyond the Washington Beltway, plan to visit our fair capital, get this book first. Ignore the corny title (the author claims it was an afterthought). You will still need a regular guidebook, with practical information about hotels, eateries, metro, hours of operation and other nitty-gritty. But get this short book too, and read it beforehand, or maybe aboard the flight which brings you here.

The regular guide wil
Buckley, Christopher. 2003. Washington schlepped here : walking in the nation's capital. Crown Publishers, New York. (Anacortes Public Library: 917.53 Buc., (12/04/08) ISBN: 1-4000-4687-4
Brief, humorous?, overview of Washington, D.C. The author's Republican view point did most certainly come through, but I felt by the end I did know more about DC than before the reading. I just hope some of it sticks when I'm standing in front of the various memorials, etc. We shall see!
Walk One: Union Statio
Randy O
Dec 28, 2007 Randy O rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs, travelers to DC
Christopher Buckley is the kind of conservative that likes to bite the hand of the federal government that feeds him. (The son of the more famous William F. Buckley, he made a name for himself first as part of Bush the Father's administration, but more recently as the author of Thank You for Smoking.) Most of the jokes in this humorous walking guide of DC are knee-jerk and annoying, but a few of them do come off, even for a liberal reader like myself.

Politics aside, though, this is a fun little
I had to read a travel book for class. I have read several of Buckley's books and liked them, and I live in the D.C. metro area. So, I thought it would be a good choice for me. The book is, as you might have guessed, about Washington, D.C. It's part of the Crown Journeys series of travel books, which includes books by Chuck Palahnuik and Kinky Friedman.

Buckley writes about D.C. as three walking tours. The first starts at Union Station, then goes to the Capitol, Grant Memorial, both wings of the
As anyone who knows me knows I love Christopher Buckley. He's one of my favorite authors, hands down.

This book, I picked up without knowing what the heck it was about, just because I'll read anything the man puts out. (He's a political satirist and novelist who used to be a speechwriter for Former President Bush Senior. He's also the author of "Thank You for Smoking", which was made into a movie.)

Imagine my surprise when I found out this wasn't a novel. It was a "walking tour" of Washington DC.
I took this book on a recent trip to Washington D.C. and can't recommend it highly enough. If you're walking around the mall and taking in the sights for the first or second time, Christopher Buckley's "Washington Schlepped Here" will be a highly entertaining companion. It is small enough to carry around, yet full of humorous insights into our nation's famous monuments, museums, and memorials. Mostly irreverent (such as when discussing the building of the U.S. Capitol) but dead serious (when gui ...more
So, this is a lighthearted, almost airheaded, tour of the major sites around D.C. Lots of fun details about different eras in history, nothing terribly heavy, told with a heavy dose of humor and obvious adoration.

I would recommend this to listen to only for people who have been to the capital or at least have a general map in their heads. Otherwise, it would be far better to have the printed version in order to flip through while wandering the sights.

One fact I hadn't heard before that struck me
Washington Schlepped Here by Christopher Buckley (p. 152) What I thought was another snarky title by the sarcastic political humor novelist turned out to be a great travel guide. Written like both a love letter and a walking tour, an actual Washington insider takes you through some of the best known and lesser streets of DC. Each location is peppered with details, factoids, and anecdotes, you just won't find in Frommer's. The tone is conversational, humorous and interesting, just what you'd hope ...more
Jul 26, 2007 Marichka added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone thinking of visiting Washington DC but thinks they've seen everything already
I've always liked Buckley and have read much of his fiction, so I trusted him to give me as entertaining a tour of Washington as he has before. This is a colourful and lively collection of factoids that you follow as you walk through all the well-known and well-worn landmarks around the US capital. Sometimes Buckley's jokiness makes you unsure of whether he's kidding when he tells you a certain tidbit, but overall, it is a more interesting view of the city's history than most other walking tours ...more
Jul 26, 2007 Marichka added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone visiting DC, for a different sort of tour
Read this in anticipation of a trip To Washington DC. This travelogue only partly worked. Some interesting tidbits but the humor fell flat with me. The dated political digs drag this effort down. I think I'll go read some Sarah Vowell.
Christopher Buckley gives his slant on a walking tour of Washington DC. He is witty writer and I remain a fan but there were large portions of dullness and several inside jokes that I, as a reader, did not understand.
Just goes to show you that Republicans have a sense of humor,the chuckly kind. It was a fun, quick read with anecdotes from Washington tour guides mostly. I bet Buckley spun this off in a day, and paid for his kids tuition at some Ivy college for a semester.
Angela Ryser Bahling
Finished just in time! Busses pulling out of the school parking lot - DC bound! Enjoyed the book and looking forward to sharing tidbits I learned with the kids. Thank for the recommendation, Matthew.
Todd Stockslager
Small enough to carry along while schlepping, but not detailed enough to serve as a tourists guide on its own. Funny facts about sites, but is this enough to carry this book?
A good book to read before visiting Washington DC. Not a comprehensive guidebook, just interesting musings on why the city looks the way it does and a little history on the side.
Well done. Creative way to introduce the reader to a city and its history. Will be visiting D.C. in a few weeks and will have this in my back pocket.
I've always wanted to read something by Chris Buckley (his dad is good), but I'm disappointed by this. I figured an irreverent record of a walk around historical Washing DC would be a change to see his work well. An odd mix of historical observation mixed with a snide asides that are meant to be register a laugh. So is it funny? At times. I admit to laughing out loud a bit. A waste of time? Definitely. I read the first two or three chapters and then laid it aside. Even humor should have a bit mo ...more
A cute, funny, and affectionate tour of Washington, D.C. Buckley is always good for a few laughs, and as a recent transplant to the D.C. area, I appreciated his behind-the-scenes anecdotes (he worked for the Reagan and Bush I administrations) and the historical trivia he includes with his sightseeing recommendations. This is not a "travel guide" in the traditional sense--no hotel listings or restaurant telephone numbers. Rather, it contains a series of walking tours of the District and Arlington ...more
Perfect for what it was and as an audiobook. Especially fun for us because of our time spent in DC.
Amusing, though not altogether useful as a guide to DC.
These are my favorite kinds of guidebooks--more like a tour of a town with a friend who's lived there his whole life than a Fodor's. I can even forgive Buckley being a Republican because his writing is so entertaining. A good primer for the main attractions and the history behind them, but Buckley doesn't stray much beyond the Mall to the rest of the city--a trip through Georgetown would have been nice, but I suppose I can figure it out on my own.
I appreciated Buckley's humor as there were times that each monument, building, landmark seemed to signify an assasination or other horrific event. The humor such as "duels must have a been a pain in the butt" helped this book. This would be a fantastic read if undertaken just before or during a visit to D.C.
Nov 29, 2007 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone living in DC area
I enjoyed this book, although some of the humor was a bit forced. Having only lived in the DC area for one year, I found out some new sports I have to check out and recommend to visitors. I probably would not actually go on the walking tour like the author wrote it, but the book was fun and informative.
Sandra Dark
I enjoyed Christopher Buckley's "Losing Mum and Pup" that I trotted right down and picked up this older example of his writing. I've toured D.C. twice, but he sent me laughing through the museums and monuments, and threw in lots of fascinating trivia that was new to me.
I started my research for the trip with this book, but set it aside as a "for later, if ever" read because it is chock full of not-really-true information. It probably would be funny for people who are more familiar with Washington DC.
David R.
A serviceable guided tour to much of the tourist section of Washington (but by no means all of it.) It tries to be a funny Fodor's but doesn't work out as either one. The detail is too limited and the jokes are often feeble.
Enjoyable, especially with a good knowledge of Washington DC already. Some allusions are slightly dated, and a little too many political views inserted into it, but made facts about Washington interesting to learn about.
this definitely shouldn't be your only guidebook to DC, but I found it wonderful. There are funny (cheesy) asides, and I learned a lot of interesting background information. Also, it's a quick read.
  • The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin
  • Washington Goes to War
  • Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist
  • Into the Storm: Violent Tornadoes, Killer Hurricanes, and Death-Defying Adventures in Extreme Weather
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Secret Lives of the U.S. Presidents
  • Charm City: A Walk Through Baltimore
  • Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe: 25 Years of Travel Tales from America's Favorite Guidebook Writer
  • Homo Politicus: The Strange and Barbaric Tribes of the Beltway
  • PassPorter Walt Disney World 2007: The Unique Travel Guide, Planner, Organizer, Journal, and Keepsake!
  • Inventing Niagara: Beauty, Power and Lies
  • After Fidel: Raul Castro and the Future of Cuba's Revolution
  • 31 Days: The Crisis That Gave Us the Government We Have Today
  • The People Speak: American Voices, Some Famous, Some Little Known: Dramatic Readings Celebrating the Enduring Spirit of Dissent
  • Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold
  • How Cities Work: Suburbs, Sprawl, and the Roads Not Taken
  • Play with Your Food
  • Kennedy and Nixon: The Rivalry That Shaped Postwar America
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...

Crown Journeys Series (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon