Start by marking “How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners” as Want to Read:
How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,473 ratings  ·  137 reviews
For nearly a quarter century, How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend has been the standard against which all other dog-training books have been measured. This new, expanded edition, with a fresh new design and new photographs throughout, preserves the best features of the original classic while bringing the book fully up-to-date. The result: the ultimate training manual for a ne ...more
Published September 23rd 2002 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend

Jon
This review became lengthier than I anticipated, but if I can dissuade one person from using the techniques prescribed in this book, it will have been worth it.

I would like to preface my review with a comment on my own experience. A few years ago, I taught myself nonviolent training methods studying the works of Paul Owens and Karen Pryor, among others. The books were recommended by the shelter where I planned to adopt a dog.

I started studying long before I even planned to get the dog, and felt
Justine
I don't think ANY dog book is the end-all be-all, so no dog-training book would earn 5 stars from me. No doubt, the monks are not going to win over everyone with their methods. Positive reinforcement is the the in vogue way to train a dog right now, and they focus a lot on effective corrections. Prong collars and the shake down will probably make a lot of people weezy. Which is fine. Their methods aren't for everyone.

However, I think they have an amazing approach, which mimics my feelings on dog
Lauren
I've never been so confused from a dog training book in my life. "Hi, we are inspired by St. Francis" but then you discipline dogs by cuffing them under the chin, the "shakedown," and the alpha rollover. I don't believe for a minute that St. Francis would approve.

Here's what I like about the book: their concept of outdoor kenneling and making sure the dog has the right kind of setup, raising/training puppies, the "Round Robin Recall" exercise, and their suggestion of not training your dog to att
Melora
Despite a few suggestions which struck me as iffy (particularly the one about exercising a dog from a car, though it should be noted that that one is offered with Stringent qualifications), most of this seemed reasonable to me. The authors do note several techniques proposed in the older edition of the book which they now no longer suggest, though, judging by what I've seen on current dog training videos on Youtube, the advice here probably still falls towards the firmer end of the training spec ...more
Sara
I appreciated some of the things they said, especially in the beginning. But this book drove home the point that every dog training book must be read with a grain of salt and an open mind. I was honestly a bit horrified with the discipline chapter. Everyone has their own opinion on this, but I feel that those methods are old school and very out dated. We've moved beyond that, surely! I know I have.
All in all, a book with some interesting viewpoints but not to be taken word for word.
Suzanne
This is an superb training manual but very rigid and strict. I agree that a dog must know who its owner is and have a degree of fear and respect...but I am softer. I prefer a positive training approach. Reward the positive. Despite this philosophical difference I do think this is an excellent reference and one I would recommend.
Eugene Mah
How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete was a book that one of the dog park people recommended to us. Thanks to the wife's aunt, we got a copy of it for Christmas, and dove right in. After getting through a few chapters, my first thought was "This is the book we should have read before getting Nala".

The Monks of New Skete have apparently been breeding German Shepherd Dogs for quite some time now and also run a boarding/training program for other dogs, so they have a good amou
Christine
I highly recommend this for new dog-owners, or anyone who is eager to reconsider mankind's history and relationship with dogs. Thoughtfully written, this book felt like a meditation and a prayer. While full of advice for dog training, I also greatly enjoyed the philosophical non-advice sections as well. I feel this book is great for those who are planning to become dog-owners, and want more than just practical preparation; this book offers an emotional and spiritual foundation too. Yes, I said " ...more
Stephanie
Well, at first I was all excited about it. I definitely prefer it to the Ceasar Millan book I checked out. It offers interesting history of dogs relationship with man, among other things.
But then I began training at Petsmart, and the trainer let me know that the monks have taken back much of what they propose and admit that their harsher techniques will create neurosis in the dog or some such thing.
So, now I've moved on to the Victoria Stillwell book, It's Me or the Dog, and I have to say that
Amy
Dec 27, 2011 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Much more narrative than how-to. While I like the ideas and the sentiments, I'm not so keen on the personalized stories. For practical, "do this" advice, I prefer Brian Kilcommons. I used his Good Owners, Great Dogs to train my last dog (who was universally recognized as a beyond exceptional dog: when my husband and I began dating, we left half a pizza on the coffee table and went out to a movie. It was still there when we got home, absolutely untouched). I'll be consulting his new(er) book, My ...more
Fifi LaFleur
Reading these books again as I have a puppy coming home tomorrow! I just love these books. Their philosophy on dogs and training totally appeals to me as a lover of large shepherd mixes.

Being Maurice Sendak approved gives it bonus points. He knows where the wild things are!
Leigh-Ann
I have two well behaved dogs thanks to this book! My nine year old pug used to misbehave; however, using the techniques in this book have seemed to help. I bought this book before we adopted our four year old pug, and have used the monks techniques since she came to live with us. She has never developed any of the problems that our oldest developed. Visitors can enter our home without being attacked and they are well behaved around strangers in public. This is a wonderful resource that helps to ...more
Kenneth
This describes a minimum-force method. Applying force requires skill. The consequences of sloppy application of force, even snapping the lead or shaking down, are significant.

There's no question the monks' method is effective. I'm not drawing into question whether force is ever required. It's definitely not necessary for raising or rehabilitating a companion animal.

As a first-dog-ever adopter of a shelter pup, this was the wrong book for me. I did find a force-free method appropriate for my sk
James
Good book but I mis-read the title.

I was just looking for a book that would teach me how to be one of my dog's good friends.
Samuel
Read this book if you want your dog to be afraid of you and ruin any possible relationship you'd have with him.
Jean Marie Angelo
A friend gave me a book by the Monks years ago. It was then I discovered that their ministry is caring for and training dogs.

I picked up some very practical tips here. They are directly in saying that their dog-training books are not about religion. Still, they sneak in some wonderful spiritual observations. Here are some of my favorites:

• Living in close association with our dogs helps us avoid a temptation that is always present in contemplative life — the temptation to live narcissistically i
Kira
If you've already gotten past the 3rd level of obedience class at your local club or are training dogs for obedience or sports, there's probably not much new for you here.

However, for the average dog owner that's thinking of getting a puppy or wanting to train their dog to be well-behaved this is a good book that covers all the bases. In fact, I can't think of a better book that I would recommend for the average pet dog owner.
7$MartyQ
This IS the way to be your dog's best friend.

The monks of New Skete have been training dogs for a long time, and their methods are both humane and correct.
They impart wisdom in techniques that work well, because they understand how a dog thinks and relates to it,s master.
Their methods are both simple and logical. By following their techniques, we will enjoy our pets much more, as well as have a wonderful friend.
Caroline Thompson
This book is a Godsend in many ways (no pun intended). To be able to intertwine a spiritual life and companionship with a dog is lovely. There is common sense advice about living well with dogs; giving them guidance and boundaries, providing them with security, sharing silent companionship, and improving communication between human and animal. Really enjoyed this.
Jen Hirt
So I got a puppy, and have been reading anything and everything about raising a dog, and this book is by far the best for a number of reasons. First, it's top-notch writing. Read it even if you don't have a dog. The monks are humble yet humorous, and they are excellent researchers -- this whole book is footnoted. They know dog mythology (such as the story of why St. Christopher was depicted as a dog in early Christian iconology) as well as Native American dog-god stories. But they also researche ...more
Evelyn
A balanced look at the responsibility of dog ownership. Not having a dog myself, I found this comprehensive, but basic. There were a lot of things that seemed to be common sense but also good, learned, perspectives on different treatment or training of dogs.
An easy and informative read.
Jana
Book has great tips on how to discipline a dog. It discusses how dogs think and how to best interact with them and train them. It's a no nonsense approach that coddles neither owners nor dogs about the responsibility of dog training. Led to a great walk with my old girl.
Christine Hill
I read this book to improve my relationship with my dog. I have a greyhound, so it is a very particular breed, but I found the information in the book to be general enough to apply even to my sensitive dog. I did skip through parts, since a lot of it assumes you have or will have a puppy. Since I am a big believer in adoption, I found this a little off putting. But the focus of the book is great, which is obedience training is directly connected to the kind of relationship you have with your dog ...more
Cassandra
I give this book four stars because I think its helped me a little. I like the Monks balanced view of training, including both discipline and positive reinforcement. They recommend singing to your dog, so I made my dog a playlist. They also recommend things like eye contact and being as jubilant with your dog as you would with a grandchild. They also recommend not making goodbyes and hellos overly dramatic, it makes the whole ordeal harder on your dog. They are very clear about their views and a ...more
Claudia
The Monks give good advice on raising, training & disciplining dogs. They raise German Shepherds. Keeping that in mind their techniques will make more sense when you read some of these reviews. I have no doubt they love their dogs & consider them a part of the family.
Maranda
I enjoyed the background information and insight into how a dog's brain works, but I did not agree with many of the training techniques. I do love they believe dogs are family members too!
Laurie
Excellent for every dog owner, no matter the breed or age of your dog. I've trained and been around dogs my whole life, but I still learned a lot. You will too.
Kirsten
This is a great, useful training manual. I like that the Monks emphasize that one should read more than one book on training your dog, so as to get a well-rounded view. Their methods make logical sense to me, and there are a lot of things that I wouldn't have thought of before that they make very clear and sensible, such as never calling your dog to you for punishment. The only thing I disliked about this is how often they promoted their other books and videos; it makes sense to refer to them, e ...more
Bubba61909
this book was great! i like the way the book takes a bigger look at raising dogs. not just from the aspect of pets but a dog being a family member. they monks of New Skete have the dog training down to a science. if you don't have a greater respect for your dog then you must have not read the book right. i have had a dog in my family my whole life and i still gained a lot of knowledge about them from the book. all i have to say is if you are ever planning to own a dog you MUST read this book bef ...more
Tim Carter
Attractive book/lifestyle, overall I find it okay, it's very comprehensive, I just cannot agree with certain training methods of the monks, and certainly these do NOT allow to become my "dog's best friend"! I don't even dare to try them, common sense really (for me).
However, the monks have improved many of these over time. And improvement is much better than status-quo - where some other "dog trainers" seem to remain till they die (or won't get another show).
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • No Bad Dogs: The Woodhouse Way
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • The Complete Dog Book
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • The Hidden Life of Dogs
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Good Owners, Great Dogs
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Kindred Spirits: How the Remarkable Bond Between Humans and Animals Can Change the Way we Live
  • Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet
The Art of Raising a Puppy Divine Canine: The Monks' Way to a Happy, Obedient Dog In The Spirit of Happiness: A Book of Spiritual Wisdom I & Dog Dogs & Devotion