Start by marking “The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)

The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor #4)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,061 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Readers can't get enough of Honor Harrington and her world, and here David Weber is again, accompanied by some of the top science fiction writers in the field, with new adventures of the best starship commander in the galaxy, and explorations of previously uncharted corners of her universe. It's a party-and you're invited!

The Service of the Sword, published in 2003, is the
Published June 29th 2004 by Baen Books (first published March 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Service of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Service of the Sword

On Basilisk Station by David WeberRing of Fire by Eric FlintTorch of Freedom by David WeberBolo! by David WeberThe Service of the Sword by David Weber
Loren's Lost List
5th out of 51 books — 5 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Best Military Science Fiction Books
389th out of 446 books — 560 voters

More lists with this book...

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
The short stories from the Honorverse are great reads for those who like short stories. Love em. They are anthologies with entries from old favorites like Conqueror's Pride legend Timothy Zahn and long time sci-fi-military-space-opera-veteran David Drake.

These stories fil in the holes in the longer books and are just fun reads. Think Thieve's World in space.
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (5) times

"A Ship Named Francis" - Always gives me the extreme lol'z

"Fanatic" - So funny, I lovelovelove Victor Cachat

I have lots of homework I'm behind on, I also have a paper due and a midterm to study for, I have taxes, I'm working on the fourth step, I called my biologic father today that I've only met once when I was seven and he hung up on me, and I have a million and one things to do at work. And! A bunch of other stuff. But after reading this my life seems more manageable. T
Mayank Agarwal
Pretty good collection of short stories.

1.Promised Land - Jane Lindskold
Good Plot and Pacing. The training cruise of Crown Prince and the dilemma it brings to the command. The introduction of Masadan’s and the very unique culture they bring to Honorverse was well portrayed. The ending felt very rushed but understandable considering it’s a short story. (4/5)

2.With One Stone - Timothy Zahn
The focus on Cardones instead of Honor was just not to my taste, also I have never been a fan of two plot appr
Marina Sinelnikova
My favorite novella here was, once again, Eric Flint's story about Victor Cachat. I think I liked this one even better, because of good sense of everyday life on Haven ships, and also because of Yuri and of the attempt to show the good side of the Commissioner institute.

As for the other stories - Abigail Hearns, the first Grayson midshipwoman, is sort of another HH, only minus treecats, but I liked captain Oversteegen and that there wasn't an evil officer, there was just ordinary tension and mis
3.75 stars, rounded up. probably my favorite so far of the anthologies.

here's a little aside, though. for some reason, when i look at the descriptions/back covers of david weber's books, i tend to make a note of which authors are the ones that are quoted as saying they love weber's books. anne mccaffrey is an author that apparently loves weber's books, and for some reason, i was afraid that he had asked her to participate in one of his anthologies. for some reason, from a literary perspective,
Jim
From Booklist

In the fourth World of Honor volume, other military sf specialists visit the universe Weber created for female astronaut Honor Harrington. In the title story, Weber places Honor, the first midshipwoman graduated from Grayson, the astronautical academy, aboard her first Manticoran warship and has her win out in a situation for which she wasn't trained. Jane Lindskjold's contribution confronts Manticoran royalty with female refugees from a planet whose sexism beggars the word barbar

Mike Franklin
This collection of short stories (novellas really; 6 stories in around 450 pages) is something of a mixed bag. The first two stories – Promised Land by Jane Lindskold and With One Stone by Timothy Zahn – are moderately good. A Ship Named Francis by John Ringo and Victor Mitchell was dreadful; the best thing that can be said about it is how short it is. Let’s Go to Prague by John Ringo was entertaining but so improbable as to be laughable (it might have worked as a comic/graphic story… possibly), ...more
Annette
Probably the best of the "Words of Honor" collections thus far.
Enjoyed "Promised Land" in which Michael Winton visits Grayson on his "Snotty" cruise. However, it read like a short story that should have been a novel. It was very rushed at the end, and difficult to believe in parts. For all that the plot was interesting, it was the weakest of the lot.
"With One Stone" was exceptional: good plotting and characters.
"A Ship Named Francis" was an amusing little diversion - comedic rather than drama
David
Six stories set in the Honorverse.

1. The Promised Land by Jane Lindskold. The story of Michael WInton's snotty cruise and how he met Judith. Those Masadans sure are nasty. Good background for later events.

2. With One Stone by Timothy Zahn. Rafe Cardones is detached from Fearless, captained by Honor Harrington, to chase down a mystery ship doing nasty things to merchant ships. A free-standing story, ie not direct background for the main story-line.

3. A Ship Named Francis by John Ringo and Victor
Bill
Following the Honor Harrington stories in chronological order:

8. Promised Land by Jane Lindskold: Midshipman Prince Michael gets caught in a diplomatic mission to Masada that takes an interesting turn. This story precedes On Basilisk Station and is a back story for Crown of Slaves.

12. With One Stone by Timothy Zahn: After the battle at Basilisk Station, the new HMS Fearless is on convoy escort duty trying to get a handle on a new weapon being used by a rogue Andermani cruiser.

19. A Ship Named Fr
Zachary
Wow.

That's all I have to say. I've enjoyed every one of the short story compilations for the David Weber's Honorverse, but usually there was a story which I didn't care as much for or could have done without. Not so much in this book. I enjoyed everyone, and could barely put it down as I devoured the last three. And each story gets better than the last.

It starts off with "Promised Land" by Jane Lindskold, which centers around two characters. First, Michael Winton, the brother of the queen of Man
Cris
It's always hard to rate anthologies, although in this particular case I don't think there was a wide range of skill. (There *was* a wide range of subjects, time periods, and tone.) I like the way the stories interlock with previously created characters and events when they're part of Honor's storyline. (I'll admit I don't really like the Mesa/slavers storyline and I'm less than thrilled with the way that storyline's 'intruding' on Honor.)

I'm a little surprised Weber allowed someone else to writ
William Bentrim
The Service of the Sword by David Weber

This is Worlds of Honor number 4. It is a series of short stories by David Weber, John Ringo, Eric Flint, Jane Lindskold and Timothy Zahn. With the exception of Ms. Linkskold, I have multiple books from each of the other authors listed. The story takes place in David Weber’s Honor Harrington universe.
You would not need to have read all of David Weber’s books to enjoy this series of short stories. Of course having read all of David Weber's work, I was able t
Katie
I adored all of the stories and all for completely different reasons. Promised Land and Fanatic miiiiiight be my most favourite, though.
Ab
1. Promised Land - Jane Lindskold (4/5): Very touching
2. With One Stone - Timothy Zahn (3.5/5): A bit generic, would expect more for Zahn.
3. A Ship Named Francis by John Ringo & Victor Mitchell (5/5): Absolutely hillarious
4. Let's Go to Prague by John Ringo (3.5/5): Great cat & mouse story, funny.
5. Fanatic by Eric Flint (3/5): Interesting peeps politics.
6. The Service of the Sword by David Weber (5/5): I'm just a sucker for Weber's stories of the HH flavour.
Kathy Davie
I wish I could give more than 5 stars-this collection of short stories was incredible!! I'll be sure to seek out more by all of these authors.

Eric Flint's Fanatic was chillingly excellent!

Jane Lindskold's Promised Lands was excellent!!

John Ringo's Let's Go to Prague was incredibly irreverent and absolutely excellent! A great military sci-fi story.

John Ringo & Victor Mitchell's A Ship Named Francis was Monty Python-funny. Truly excellent military sci-fi story!

David Weber's Service of the Swor
Andrew
This one had two very good short stories in it, Fanatic and The Service of the Sword i am looking forward to following the next set of books as the continuing from these stories.
Dale (Aus)
Emnjoyed these stories and found a couple that gave some back stories to the people I was reading in the main story thread. very helpful in getting across what was being discussed.
David Syzdek
Very enjoyable anthology and quick read compared to other David Weber books.
Elsi
6 short stories set in the Honor Harrington universe. Having read the first 11 novels in the series, I decided to go back and read the short stories to "fill in the gaps". In general, I don't like to read short stories, but I make an exception when they take place in the context of a book or series that I'm already enjoying. Therefore, I very much enjoyed these stories.
Brittany
This book is a great addition to the Honorverse series!

"A Ship Named Francis" is so hilarious that I always end up crying when I read it.

Victor returns in another adventure where he thoroughly screws with a poor pair of SDs on the edge of Haven territory.

And there's a story featuring spies in the Honverse. Lots of fun!
Nyssa
Very good collection, especially "Let's Go to Prague", "The Fanatic (which is a sequel to "From the Highlands" in Changer of Worlds, and the title story, "The Service of the Sword".

Dena
The short stories provide information about past or side events along with being fast-paced, exciting and sometimes hilarious. A Ship Named Francis had me laughing so hard my sons asked me if I was ok.
Joseph
You know...not everything has to be created by, or inspired by, the protagonist of the series, guys.
Steven Cole
A collection of short stories from a number of different authors. The quality varied from author to author, and of course I remember the last one best, which was a classic tale from Weber himself, and quite good. Generally, though, a fun romp.
Carl Bussema
3.5 stars.

Several stories in here are laying the ground work for the spin-off series "Crown of Slaves" and "Saganami Island". Good stories, but still no mainline Honor. :)
Michael
A great read by several authors set in David Weber's Honor Harrington Universe. Includes a story by David Weber. A must read for Honor Harrington fans!
Cesy
Feb 25, 2012 Cesy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
A good collection of short stories in the Honorverse. I liked hearing more about Abigail Hearns, and Victor Cachat under StateSec after Terra.
John
I really enjoyed most of the stories in this book

especially the service of the sword
Alpha
Oct 31, 2010 Alpha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
3.5 stars. This was by far my favorite of the Honorverse anthologies.
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • The Tide of Victory (Belisarius, #5)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Worlds of Honor (6 books)
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)