Start by marking “Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)” as Want to Read:
Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)

Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington #4)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  14,240 Ratings  ·  292 Reviews
The People's Republic of Haven's sneak attack on the Kingdom of Manticore has failed. The Peeps are in disarray, their leaders fighting for power in bloody revolution, and the Royal Manticoran Navy stands victorious.

But Manticore has domestic problems of its own, and success can be more treacherous than defeat for Honor Harrington. Now, trapped at the core of a political c
Published September 1st 2002 by Baen (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Field of Dishonor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field of Dishonor

Zachary
Jun 23, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
After reading this book I realized that The Short Victorious War was just a prelude to what Weber wanted to do here. While Harrington was barely a player in that novel, she is the center of this one. And while all the other novels of this series have indulged in a large amount of militaristic (as well as political) strategy , this focuses on the character development of Honor Harrington herself more than any other portion of the series I have read yet.

It is a story of loss and dealing with that
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the fourth in the Honor Harrington series and it was the weakest (in my opinion) to this point. I have now finished this and the fifth. I stayed with the 4 star rating but it again makes me wish for a half star system or a 10 star system. I've rated it the same as the others, but I'd say where they were a 4 this is a 3.5.

There was a lot more of what I call the "yawn factor" in this one. I skipped through a lot of Honor's "vacation" and the (seemingly) interminable flashback(s) of her, "e
Mr. Matt
Jan 06, 2014 Mr. Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Field of Dishonor picks up the action right where The Short Victorious Ware left things. Manticore has won the first round against Haven. Harrington and her ship return to the home world for refitting - and to deliver Pavel Young to justice.

In the last book he lost his nerve under fire. Now he has to face the consequences. Harrington's nemesis is to be tried for cowardice in the face of the enemy. At the same time Harrington is to be heaped with honors. Pavel seethes with fury at his destruction
Per Gunnar
James
The book is something of a slow starter, and if you're expecting lots of military SF type action you'd probably argue that it never really picks up either. But, it didn't seem to be a problem. David Weber seems to be making a play to move out of this series being exclusively military SF and into more of a 'thriller' type novel. He doesn't quite manage it – you don't ever doubt who the bad guy is; or that Honor will get her man – it's not trying to be a 'whodunit' either. In fact, it feels very m ...more
Jim
Oh, this is fun. I knew what was coming, but it was still well done. These books are formulaic: Honor gets into the trick bag through no fault of her own, sticks to her guns despite pressure otherwise, & goes on to kick ass. She doesn't always come out fully on top & has picked up an impressive set of lumps, but she always triumphs. Cool.

Weber still insists on info dumping background info. Characters suddenly muse to fill us in. 10 minutes is a LONG freaking time & really makes me ap
TGM
May 11, 2014 TGM rated it did not like it
Awful, this is where I am going to drop the series. It's as well written as always, in that it is a pretty easy read, a good, light page turner but...my god. The plot is awful. This book reads like a hurt/comfort fanfiction. It was honestly hard to finish this one with how awful the characterization was. It's not so much that Honor is miraculously amazing at things she has no business being amazing at (though that part is a bit irksome), it's how after every thing she does wrong there is a unive ...more
Ron
Sep 16, 2011 Ron rated it liked it
Chris
There is Mary Sue. There is Marty Sue. What type of Sue is it when the author is male and the character female?

This isn't a bad book and it is somewhat intersting. It's just I wish everyone in the book would stop telling me how wonderful Honor is. And I'm sorry, the whole relationship thing didn't quite work for me.
Michael Bennett
Apr 26, 2017 Michael Bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beloved, sci-fi
This one was where things came to a head and had to handled only as Honor could handle it, and as honor dictated. It wasn't about space or the future, it was just a great story about people and what they stand for and how they handle themselves.

This story could have bet set in any time or place, but I just kept getting flashes of "Hamilton" the musical. The track Ten Duel Commandments was playing in my head and gave me a wonderful soundtrack to the denouement of this tale.
Katrin von Martin
Jun 18, 2015 Katrin von Martin rated it it was amazing
The fourth of the Honor Harrington series, this book has a completely different feel and is fought on a totally new battleground from the previous novels in the series. That being said, this is, in my humble opinion, the best book in the series so far. Honor grows a lot as a character, facing her anxiety of being a public figure, dealing with the grief of losing someone close to her, and battling a personal adversary on new grounds. It almost seems as if the last book was set up to be a lead in ...more
Kogiopsis
Nov 13, 2009 Kogiopsis rated it really liked it
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 Troy G rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This is the best of the Honor Harrington novels up to this point. I haven't read the rest yet, but this book gave me enough hope to.

Gone for the most part is the obsession of David Weber on Honor' gender. The undercurrent mantra of the first three books, "But She's a WOMAN!" Unfortunately, gone too is the space warfare that put David Weber on the Map with his outstanding Starfire novels. Replacing fleet strategic warfare is dueling pistols.

Diminished was the pristine perfection of Honor Harring
Simone
Apr 16, 2016 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fourth instalment of the Honor Harrington series brings an end to one of the major antagonist's of Honor's life--the one that has attempted to curtail her career, and her life, since their shared time in the Navy Academy.

This novel does not contain the same noteworthy naval space battles as the previous books in the series, however, that is not a detriment to the narrative. The truest description of this novel is that instead of exploring Honor's admittedly brilliant combat manoeuvres it in
John Strohm
Apr 04, 2014 John Strohm rated it it was ok
If you start reading at Chapter 18, this is a halfway-decent book. While different from the first few books in the series, the plot moves along reasonably well and comes to a satisfying conclusion.

But if you read the first 17 chapters, you will hate this. Most likely you'll stop after chapter 4 or 5, when the endless pages of innane political debate and characters making speeches get to you. The first part of this book is simply terrible, with almost everything that's bad about sci-fi present in
Tim
Jun 27, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: space
I really enjoyed this. It follows directly on from the previous entry in the series, but the plot moves largely ground-side and becomes a story of politics, justice and revenge. It's easy to criticize; many of the characters are still caricatures, David Weber's attempts to convey emotional depth are pretty clunky, and (technically a spoiler but so painfully obvious it hardly counts) many of the characters only seem to be introduced in order to die before we get attached to them. But I got sucked ...more
Mark
Dec 10, 2007 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book avoids the military situations that made the previous books good, and predictably falls on it's face. If you though the "character development" of the previous books was actually convincing then you might like this book, otherwise avoid it.

Oh, and the main character is now not only a tactical genius and a hand-to-hand expert, she is now also the best pilot in the military and, after a few days practice, the best duelist anywhere. I'm betting her chili wins first place at the country fa
William
May 20, 2016 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This episode in Honor's life was less dull than I expected - "no space battles" ??? - I was very wary of long-winded political discussions, which happen a bit too frequently in this series.

However, the pacing was good, characters mostly interesting, but the motivations and judgement of players was a bit cliched, and the mystery of who was driving the bad stuff was ridiculous. The final outcome was somewhat expected.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, which could have been much worse.
Julia
Re-read January 2016

This was the first Honor Harrington book that I read, having seen it in the library and thinking it looked interesting. Despite not having read others in the series, I was able to follow the story which starts with a court-martial for cowardice during time of war. I found the portrayal of the deliberations compelling and the follow up story to be quite interesting. After finishing this I immediately went to read the earlier Honor Harrington books.
Kevin L
May 01, 2016 Kevin L rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I love Honor, but Young is so repellent, it made me want to put the book down.

And that's when I wondered about simplicity of plot. The characters (in general) are well dream and I like Weber's dialogue and plots. But still, I think he could do better. Nevertheless, this series is well worth your time and effort.
David Beck
Apr 29, 2016 David Beck rated it it was amazing
This story is mostly about Honor continuing to deal with the hatred and cowardice of Pavel Young. Honor suffers a deep personal loss and is consumed with getting justice for that loss. She also begins her duties as a steadholder on Grayson.
Kevin Beck
Apr 28, 2016 Kevin Beck rated it really liked it
Honor deals with the fallout from the cowardice of Pavel Young. This story is mostly politics and revenge but Honor kicks butt once again.(view spoiler)
Will Howard
Mar 31, 2013 Will Howard rated it it was ok
Shelves: bubblegum
Just reread it,
Very bubblegum
While an ok example of the series, it's not actually very satisfying like the other books. The problems I have with Weber's writing really come out to play when he's not banging on about the military and specific fights, and this book was very combat light.
Jim
Sep 08, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
Quick & predictable read, but I loved it all the same. Shows Honor at her best, again.
Al Eden
Mar 07, 2016 Al Eden rated it really liked it
This one is light on space battles and that usually would drive my review lower but the intrigue component more than made up for it this time.
Scott Holstad
Jun 21, 2015 Scott Holstad rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this Honor Harrington book, the fourth in the series. It's very different from the first three, where she was the standout star ship captain who battled the Republic of Haven's numerically superior ships and won. In this book, she's home on Manticore while her ship is undergoing time consuming repairs. And Pavel Young, her nemesis, is being court martialed for desertion and cowardice, as well as several other things. Two of the charges would result in execution if he is foun ...more
Reemet
Mar 25, 2017 Reemet rated it did not like it
Liz Wood
Dec 09, 2016 Liz Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad

Honor stays true to herself, but her friends stay true to her. I cried through the last part of the story, but it was a good cry, if you know what I mean. Very very good story, fast paced, romantic, great charact r r development.
Michele
Mar 23, 2017 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purely gripping stuff...
Crys
Mar 15, 2017 Crys rated it it was ok
This book is not about the command of ships or soldiers.

This book is about sub-plots, which do not realy aid the story.

As usual you have the horrible Weber info-dump =(
Normaly i can see around it, because of engageing story-lines, but here you have only subplots with either "dead" or inconsequential characters.

In addition it shows that the manticorean political system is alot more primitive, then you would think.
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Hell's Faire (Posleen War, #4)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)

“It was rumored she held grudges till they died of old age, then had them stuffed and mounted.” 104 likes
“She was thirteen T-years older than he, but there was something uncannily familiar about his emotions where she was concerned. Somehow, without realizing it was happening, she'd acquired a MacGuiness with a gun, and she suspected her life would never be quite the same again. She” 0 likes