Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders, #5)

Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders #5)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  7,601 ratings  ·  335 reviews
Torn between the love he has...and the love he's always wanted.

Chassie West Glanzer hasn't been a stranger to drama and tragedy. A year of wedded bliss to sexy-as-sin cowboy Trevor Glanzer has brought her the happiness and contentment she never thought she'd find, and mellowed Trevor's rodeo wanderlust. Then Trevor's old roping partner ambles up the driveway--and Chassie's...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Rough, Raw, and Ready, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough, Raw, and Ready

Colters' Woman by Maya BanksRough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei JamesA Table for Three by Lainey ReeseLong Hard Ride by Lorelei JamesDecadent by Shayla Black
Best Ménage Fiction
2nd out of 791 books — 1,003 voters
Beyond Eden by Kele MoonRough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei JamesLaid Bare by Lauren DaneDangerous Boys and Their Toy by Shayla BlackDouble Time by Olivia Cunning
Favourite MMF romance
2nd out of 357 books — 666 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary/Western Romance/Erotica/BDSM/Ménage

Ms. Lorelei James, I humbly kiss your cowgirl boots!

The Rough Riders is one of my very favorite erotic romance series and the books just keep getting impossibly better. I thought Cowgirl Up and Ride couldn’t be topped, but then Tied Up, Tied Down proved me wrong. I once again believed that the bar was set so high that it couldn’t be beat, but I should have known better because Rough, Raw and Ready IMO is the best yet.

Ever since Long Hard...more
Auntee
Aug 24, 2009 Auntee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series; Fans of erotic cowboy romance
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Since reading the first book in the Rough Riders series, Long, Hard Ride, I’ve wanted to know whatever became of Trevor McKay and Edgard Mancuso. The time spent with them, the glimpses we were given into their relationship, gave me just enough to keep me hungering after their story. Well, my wait finally over, I found myself devouring every word and loving every minute of it!

Most of you who know me know that permanent ménage relationships in stories isn’t something I’m comfortable with because...more
Buggy
..."Torn between the love he has...and the love he’s always wanted"

Wow, with each instalment in the Roughriders series I keep saying this one is my absolute favourite; it just can’t get any better. Well I was sorely mistakin because James has outdone herself with #5 and this one really is the best yet (no really) Now I’m left lamely trying to put into words how friggin fantastic this story is.

Ever since book #1 Long Hard Ride I’ve been wondering what happened to Trevor and Edgard and hoping for...more
MelissaB
There are quite a few great reviews on this book so I will just share my thoughts:

I was wary going into this story because I was afraid Chassie was going to be the third wheel in this relationship. I should have realized Ms. James could take a difficult relationship like this and make it work - and make it emotionaly satisfying as well. I felt the resonable questions and emotions that would come up from finding your husband attracted to another man (as well as you) were brought up and dealt with...more
Dinjolina
Wow. A very disturbing book. A menage book I didn’t like! This was a first, because it was well written and had nicely implemented drama. All this aside there was one thing I can never stomach when it comes to a tree way relationship-when I feel it’s a crowd.
Also, this book contained my second deal breaker for ménage fiction-the feel that somebody in a mm relationship is not gay. Or bi. Or what ever.

But first let me quote this:

“I know. It’s just sometimes, right after we’d made love or had sex...more
Jen
While I normally enjoy the Rough Riders series, I did not like this book. At all. Generally, I prefer my HEA to be between 2 people however I have read some very good menage HEA's that the author has really written well. Those have worked for me. This one did not.

I felt like Trevor was dishonest and a cheating bastard. If I came upon my husband kissing someone else, whether man, woman or horse, I would be PISSED. That is cheating to me. It doesn't matter what the sex. Chassie just seemed to take...more
Isis FG
Reread 8/14/10

I've been wanting to reread this one since I first read it. And I think it was even better the second time around. I love this story. For me, it's the ultimate alternative erotic romance. It's one I'll definitely have on my keeper shelf for a long time.

*****

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I love Menage HEA stories, and especially Bi Menage HEAs, but I loved this book. Super hot, great characters, an interesting storyline...I loved pretty much everything about it. If I were picky, I'...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
May 09, 2011 ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: erotic novel fans, Lorelei James Fan, Country Western Fans
Recommended to ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness by: All my goodread friends

Please dont read review if you LOVED this book.

I honestly dont think that to many people are going to be overly impressed by this review. Dont get me wrong the book, was great! The sex was unbelievably erotic, the characters were meaningful....

BUT....( and here come the rant )

PERMANENT menages are not cool!
I loved Trev and Ed when we were first introduced to them and I was pissed off as all hell when Trev let Ed walk away, but he did. And Trev moved on and...more
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
BEAUTIFULLY BLUSHED INDUCED EMOTION!
These 3 had me like...
Photobucket

Wow!! I don't know what it was about this story, but I could not stop reading it. I love love LOVE Edgard. He's my baby.. And I totally love Trevor and Chassie. Theirs' is obviously not a conventional union by any means but there is still beauty within it.

I honestly believe that what I love above all about this book is that although it pushed my boundaries, (I mean I still am weirded out a bit) Chassie, Trevor, and Edgard forced me to re...more
Leah
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars, but not at all for the same reasons that I gave 3.5 stars to Long Hard Ride and Rode Hard, Put Up Wet. I liked this book. More than I thought I was going to. I liked the characters and thought it was a great story, even if I personally can't fully understand the situation and relationship between Trevor, Chassie, and Edgard. I personally believe that you should live your life how you want to live it and not give a damn about what others think. But, I also know tha...more
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
I love this series!!

This book was exceptionally good. I loved Trevor in every other book he was in, but he took it to a whole other level in this book. And Chassie, oh my, she was so caring and understanding. I swear in the beginning I believe I would have struggled a whole lot more than she did when the truth was revealed. However, the prize she got made me extremely jealous of her. And then there is sweet Edgard, sigh....

Let's just say sign me up for one of those sandwiches with a Jamie in b...more
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️

4.5 stars! Only deduction was I wished for a bit more fidgety angst!

Yeah! We finally get the story of Trevor and Edgard. Back in the first book, Edgard decided to move back to his native Brazil, upset that Trevor would never own up to his feelings for him.... Trevor is in love with Edgard but cannot publically admit it so he continues on his life without Edgard....never falling out of love with him. He dates and eventually marries the sweet Chassie West and set up house in the ranch Chassie inhe...more
♡♥Ang ♥♡
So i have issues with permant menages!!

So for every one who likes that kinda of read, this is for you!!

I spent the whole dya reading it and i didnt hate it and i didnt Love it!!! I just thought Eh!!! Can i read the next one, cos i freaking love Colt!!

But on a good note, damn!! it was hot!! i Never ever read about man love and i was WOWed!!!

So re read it and I loved it mote this time around!! So from a three to a 4 :)
I do really wish this was just trev and Ed tho haha, only cos chassie annoyed me...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
*Final Review*
I first met Trevor and Edgard in book one of the Rough Rider series(Long Hard Ride). These two had a torrid secret affair that ended in loss and heartbreak. Trevor couldn't commit to being with Edgard openly so with great reluctance Edgard moved away and out of Trevor's life.

It's 3 years later and Trevor is now with Chassie, the young women he fell in love with and married. One fateful afternoon Edgard shows up on his doorstep and Trevor is reminded of the feelings he harbors for...more
Ana Paula
Ok the book is good, but I can't give more stars whem a author creates a charactor that is from Brazil but speaks Spanish. In Brazil we Speak PORTUGUESE, not Spanish. It is a total diferente language.

In the first book of the serie, Long Hard, Put Up Wet, I was a little annoyed when Edgard used words like "chica". In Brazil (language portuguese) we don't say chica we say menina. But In this book the used of wrong words continued. Edgard says - "Will it piss you off if I admit I was curious about...more
Crazy4more
5 stars for erotica romance is very rare in my book, but solid 5 stars it is! definitely the best, so far, in this hot hot hot series.

I was so enthalled and my heart ached for Trevor, Chassie and Edgar. Their problem, discussion and resolution were filled with raw-rare-honest emotion. I could hate Edgard for interrupting the perfect marriage, one that Chassie & Trevor were so deserving. Trevor never publically acknowledged Edgard as a lover, they parted ways 3.5 yrs only to come back, grown...more
Mahlet
Since beginning this series with Long Hard Ride over a year ago, I've been looking forward to Trevor and Edgard's book. Although they weren't the h/h of that book, they completely stole the show, IMHO, with the hottest scene in the trailer. So of course, I hated Chassie the moment I laid eyes on Rough, Raw and Ready's cover. And when she was introduced as Trevor's wife in Tied Up, Tied Down, I scowled. But I got over my fear of Chassie cooties and tried to give her a chance. After her initial *O...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

This book didn't quite click for me, I think it is still a massive improvment from the first books, but for me this one seemed slightly off. It had nothing to do with the m/m aspect, I just didn't see the three of them quite clicking together as unit, it seemed more about them pleasing Trevor at the exclusion of there own happiness and that didn't quite seem right. However, I know they were all supposed to love eachother by the end but I didn't really feel that.
KC
Let me just say that I'm not a fan of m/m or f/f ROMANCE novels. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind same sex stories, IF they're only about sex (Erotica), but I generally have a hard time enjoying same-sex romances because when I read, I can't connect with the characters in the same way as I can with m/f - I can't feel what they feel or see myself as them in my mind's eye. *shrug*

That said, like Ed & Trevor in this story, I found that Chassie was the bridge that crossed me over. And as such, I...more
Elise Wilson
More like 3-1/2 stars! Let me begin the review by saying that I am new to the genre erotica/menage romance, so my thoughts are necessarily colored by my "newness". Lorelei James is also a new author for me. I read this book upon the recommendation of a friend during a discussion on the viability of "unconventional" relationships.

I applaud James for tackling such a delicate social issue and I think she did a respectable job. She is an excellent writer and storyteller. What I liked about the book...more
Tina "coffee and books"
This book took me on a rollercoaster ride. In the first half of the book I was not impressed at all. It still had the well written storyline that I love so much about Lorelei James. But, to me it was very sexist (okay not something you typically worry about when reading erotica, but I'm hard to please..lol). I would definitely recommend this book, don't get me wrong. Read below for my reasoning (SPOILER ALERT).

First off, when faced with your husband being caught in a very compromising position...more
Dee
4.5 Stars

I am definately starting to love this series and enjoy catching up with all the characters.

I really thought I wasn't going to like this one due to the M/M action and considered skipping it but you know it turned out to be the best book of the series that I have read so far and I am so glad that I didn't as I would have missed out on a really good book.

Yes there was plenty of sex but it also had an amazing love story between three people and Chassie's acceptance of her husband's needs...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
I am so conflicted by this book.

It was the usual smoking hot, erotic, steamy sex which I have come to anticipate and love when reading Lorelei James, but the three way relationship was too hard for me to contemplate.

Being a control freak with more then a slight jealous streak, I just couldnt put myself in Chassie's situation like i can with my favourite books. Which left me feeling a little tightly strung at the end of the book.

I found myself continuously thinking.....but what if?? Or what happe...more
Karla
This book was a very pleasant surprise. I loved Edgard and Trevor from book one, but now with Trevor married to Chassie I was wondering how the author would incorporate all 3 of them into a relationship without it being too weird. Well she did a great job. I was drawn to the characters and pulling for them all the way. It was very emotional, sweet, and oh of course HOT! Didn’t think I was going too, but I loved it and could not put it down.

What LJ does so well is bring the other family members...more
ElaineY
Dec 04, 2008 ElaineY rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mmf
This is my first Lorelei James book. Though it dragged a bit at parts, it was overall an enjoyable read. I wanted to give it 3 1/2 stars but only because while I find cowboys sexy, I don't find cowgirls appealing. Chassie is sweet, generous and the perfect rancher's wife. She does everything on the ranch that a city-slicker like me will never know how to do.

While I enjoyed the way the MMF menage played out, it felt a little too trite and the author never managed to get under the surface. This wa...more
MountainKat
This was a very interesting book for me. I had concerns about how the author was going to make this storyline work and make it believable. She did and I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed this book more for the emotions and the people in it, maybe more than the story itself. I truly believed that all three of them in the relationship loved and cared for each other. I'm already looking forward to the next book in the series! (And I don't even have a clue who it is about!)
Angela
I was a little unsure about this one but once I got into it it was better then I expected. Still not nearly as good as #3 or #4 but still good. Steamy, dirty and heartwarming, I was glad they were able to find a balance and arrangement that works for them. I know they are related to the McKay's but I was missed the McKay men charm that Trevor & Ed just don't have. Looking forward to more of this series!!!
Samantha
Really like a 2.5 star read. There was some good points and low points. I felt there was too many kumbaya-ish (sp?) moments and it totally threw me off. Either way I'm not impressed with this one or hate it. I really don't care! LOL! Next up is Colt and I have my eye on that cowboy. LOL.
  • Bucked (Studs in Spurs, #2)
  • Siren Beloved (Texas Sirens, #4)
  • Northern Exposure (Compass Brothers, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • Daniel's Surrender (Worthington Group, #3)
  • Half Hearts
  • Dangerous Boys and Their Toy
  • A Tall Dark Cowboy
  • Something New (Foster Siblings, #2)
  • At Love's Command (Brothers in Arms, #4)
  • Texas Tangle (Tangled #1)
  • Southern Comfort (Compass Brothers, #2)
  • Safe Harbor (Suncoast Society, #1)
Lorelei James is New York Times & USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary erotic westerns and erotic romances. She lives in western South Dakota.
More about Lorelei James...
Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3) Tied Up, Tied Down (Rough Riders, #4) All Jacked Up  (Rough Riders #8) Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders #11)