Ride The Dark Trail (The Sackett Family)

Ride The Dark Trail (The Sacketts #15)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,734 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Logan Sackett narrates defending widow Em Talon 67, born Sackett, clan who always help another. Alone on MT brand 'Empty' ranch, they must fight off her husband's killer Jake Tannen and his gang. Her sons Milo and Barnaby believe her long dead, land sold. Will they or other Sacketts get word in time?
170 pages
Published (first published June 1972)

Reving
I am probably more surprised than anyone that I have fallen in love with westerns. First it was Virgil and Everett and now it is Logan Sackett. I mean aren't westerns supposed to be for old dudes? But now that I think about it...what ISN'T a girl to love about rugged, honorable, hot men? I mean...why do old dudes like westerns? I think In the case of Virgil, Everett and Logan, well, I can't think of any girl who wouldn't fall in love with these guys! I met Logan Sackett in my first Louis L'Amour...more
Rose Gowen
Loving it. The plot turns are awfully convenient, but I love the language, and then there's useful stuff like this:

"I'd backed up against that grove on purpose. Looked at from down below no smoke would show against the white of the tree trunks and the gray-green of the leaves...

There's no prettier place than a stand of aspen. The elk and beaver like the bitter inner bark, and you'll nearly always find them where there's aspen. There's no thing that provides more grub for wildlife than the aspen...more
Daren Doucet
Wow. What a real western. Logan Sackett goes far beyond measure to make sure Em Talons homestead ranch does not get into bad hands...

Jack Flanner tries to force the old woman to give up the ranch and its fertile ranching grounds, and it appears as much he will succeed.. Until Logan Sackett alone, seemingly turns the tide of fortune to one where the ranch maybe saved... Just maybe.

A great tale of the great West American Frontier, full of the best and the worst of what the old west had to offer.

N...more
Christy
Nobody does the West like Louis L’Amour! The scenery, the ranchin,’ the ridin’ the shootin’ . . . Yeah, I know the real wild West wasn’t that wild, but the stories are way more exciting with plenty of villains and plenty of shootings and fistfights. The hero, Logan Sackett, comes from the notorious Sackett clan. He’s big, he’s tough, and he’s mean, but he surely does stick up for women in trouble. He also seems to speak two different languages. Mostly he’s a rough and ready cowpoke saying things...more
Kayla
Good book. I skimmed through the last few pages because I was tired of reading all the details and narration and wanted to get the the final shootout. But I liked the characters and the plot.
Darla
Jordan and I started reading this together while visiting Hatch a couple of weekends ago. For some reason, Louis L'Amour just fits the bill when you are hanging out in Southern Utah.

(Genre:Fiction/western) Finished it up by reading it with my husband (who was a huge L'Amour fan when he was young). Entertaining read that kept my attention throughout. Classic western story--Drifter Logan Sackett comes to town and finds a distant relative in serious trouble. Emily Sackett Talon is an older widow wh...more
Steven Brandt
Fans of Louis L’Amour’s Sackett books know that quite a few of the books focus on three brothers, Tell, Orrin, and Tyrel. There are also a good number of books in the series that focus on other Sacketts; cousins to the three brothers or other such relations. Ride the Dark Trail keys in on Logan Sackett of the Clinch Mountain Sacketts.

All Sacketts are tough, but the Clinch Mountain Sacketts are especially known to be hard men who skirt the edges of the law. In spite of his reputation, Logan Sack...more
SouthernAngel
It may not be my absolute favorite of the Sackett's but it sure is up there. This story is not one where the hero gets the girl at the end. But he sure as hell sticks up for his family name, even though he didn't know what he was getting into and at times wanted to bale but refused to. Logan Sackett is one tough man to kill, that's for sure. No one has pulled it off yet. I love Milo Talon too, Pennywell not so much. But yet again another great read that will be read over and over again.
Amber
I found out via Wikipedia that I had been missing out on a TON of Sackett books by Louis L'amour all this time! So I wrote down a list of the titles I did not already own and took off to my favourite book store run by this old guy in a fedora who is so awesome. He saw my list, saw me pawing through the one shelf he had of Louis L'amour westerns, and then asked if I wanted to see the rest of them in the basement. I have never seen so many Louis L'amour books in one place in all my life and I foun...more
An Odd1
Feb 24, 2014 An Odd1 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Natasha Russell
I really enjoyed this book. This genre is new to me, and I will read more of his work.
Chris
It made me want to read the Talon books now.
Denise
I found this to be a typical Western by Louis L'Amour following the exploits of one of the Sackett clan. However, because it was by Mr. L'Amour, it had an interesting cast and some exciting situations where you had to wonder whether the main character would survive. I did enjoy this book and believe that others who like Westerns would like this one. I don't think it was his best work, but still pretty good.
Nicole
There's a bit of this in all of L'Amour's books and that's a big part of why I like them.

"Pa told us we held the land in trust. We were free to use it so long as it was kept in shape for the generations following after, for our sons and yours."

"The thing to remember when traveling is that the trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for."
Peter Charleston
Always enjoy reading the works of Louis L'Amour. He tells nice tales of western adventures, allowing myself an welcome fictional journey into the old west. This book from the Sackett series brings Logan Sackett along the trail to meet Emily Talon (a Sackett prior to her marriage) who is in deep trouble. Needless to say he stays to help.
SheLove2Read
Louis L'Amour never disappoints. This is definitely one of his best efforts and is effortless in the reading of it. A brave man, a woman to "ride the river with" and the continuing saga of the Sackett family.

For even a rebellious drifter knows that part of being a Sackett is backing up your family when they need you.
Rusty
If you like stories about good guys who kick butt and get the girl and the bad guys who get it in the end, read Louis L'amour. He also has a knack for describing scenery, and every canyon, spring, etc. he mentions truly exists. He was a great authority on the American Wild West which is not quite how Hollywood often portrays it.
Karen
The Sacketts seem to get a little less noble and 'good' as time goes on. Or maybe it's just because he comes from the wilder line :) But they all still have that sense of family pride.

I loved the feisty old lady. And it's pretty hard to believe Logan isn't dead after this one. But somehow, they always pull through.
Chuck
This is the sixteenth book in Louis L'Amour's "Sackett" series and I only have one left to read. This particular book was better than most. For some reason the production quality of the book was better as well as the development of characters and storyline. Was a little more than a western yarn and shoot 'em up. One more to go!
Craig
This narrative features Logan Sackett assisting an aging distant cousin, Em Sackett Talon, retain her ranch in the West against a conspiring cattleman and his hired guns. Em's two sons, Milo and Barnabas, arrive in time to save the day. Not one of L'Amour's better works.
Judy Tate
You have to love Em Sackett Talon. A true pioneer woman.
Fredrick Danysh
Logan Sackett is a cynical drifter who helps an old woman save her land from greedy neighbors. Emily Talon is a fiery old widow fighting the locals. When Logan discovers that Emily was born a Sackett there is no way he can run away from the fight.
James
There is quite a lot to this novel, and I am glad it is my first Louis L'Amour read. The plot is put together well, the narration switches comfortably between first and third person, and the plot devices are deployed fantastically.

Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: western
L'Amour's books are always a great read.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
JoAnn Ainsworth
My admiration of Louis L'Amour's writing grows with each book I read. May I learn to write fight scenes as well as he does.

A Logan Sackett tale with plenty of action and a well-drawn heroine.
Adrianna
I think if anybody apart from Terrence Mann narrated this audiobook I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much, but his voice is phenomenal-it brings life to the characters and retains my interest.
Dorine
This is the first Louis L'Amour I have read. We listened to it on CD on a road trip, and I found it very enjoyable. His descriptions are really good. I'd like to read more of his books.
Kaj Samuelsson
This is my absolute favorite of all the Sackett books. Also like that in this book figures Isom Dart, a black cowboy/outlaw that actually existed.
Mike Grady
Another good, solid addition to the Sackett series by Louis L'Amour. A quick read with a satisfying ending.

REcommended for Western fans.
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • Hombre
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • The Shootist
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Streets of Laredo
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods