Start by marking “How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark” as Want to Read:
How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark

How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Appealing art and descriptive text bring Lewis and Clark alive for young adventurers. Carefully chosen text from Lewis and Cark's actual journals opens a fascinating window into this country's exciting history.
Published March 1st 2002 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How We Crossed the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Crossed the West

Dianna
Really enjoyed this simplified account of the Lewis and Clark journey with actual quotes from the journals and beautiful illustrations. I would have liked perhaps a few more details and maps of where they were (there is a map at the end, but little mention of locations during the actual text). My seven-year-old also read this book and enjoyed the details.
Faith Hough
This is non-fiction for kids at its very best. Like Rosalyn Schanzer's book about John Smith, this is one we bought for "history lessons" which very quickly migrated to the "story book" shelf.
Maria Garcia
Interest Level: Ages 7 to up
Reading Level: Ages 8 to up
Lexile Reading Level: AD890L
Nominated for: Emphasis on Reading Award (in 1997)

Historical war that portrays and illustrates the American settlement and Nation creation. The book presents accurate historical dates, names, and events in a clear, understandable and in a easy-to-remember way.
It mentions some of the Native-American cultures and traditions, but it mainly focuses on one ethnic group, promoting certain stereotypes and racial misunde
Erienne
We loved this one!
Linda
Rosalyn Schanzer did her research, and the resulting National Georgraphic Society children's book depicting Lewis & Clark as they crossed the land on their way to the Pacific is well done. Schanzer's illustrations are loosely based on the style of the early artists of the west, and the story itself is told through the journals of the Corps of Discovery.

I grew up with the Missouri River as my back yard and have long lived with the tales of Lewis & Clark. The book is a nice introduction to
Heather
My boys really enjoyed this and it gets pulled out over and over again. The information is solid but rather basic (good for elementary school) but I feel like you'd definitely need more for middle/junior high.

The illustrations are well done and you could easily use this to jump into some nature study to learn about the various animals/plants they discovered.
Cheryl
This book was terrific. It is told with well-chosen quotes from the actual journals of Lewis and Clark. The language doesn't come across as stuffy or old... it's very lively. Rosalyn Schanzer has used something of a folk style to illustrate it, making everything very clear and readable. An excellent read.
Matthew
This is a great book. It is written for children but it is just as enjoyable if read as an adult. It is packed with lots of details both in terms of the illustrations and the text, which more often than not uses direct quotes from the journals of Lewis, Clark, or other members of the Corps of Discovery.
Jen
Excellent little book to introduce young students to the adventures of Lewis and Clark. Includes their initial commission by President Jefferson, the crew, original letters from Lewis, Clark and journal entries. Stories and more along the way to the Pacific Ocean and back again.
Ayana Mishelle
this book is great for teaching about the Lewis and clark expedition I really liked that it includes information about York the slave .We used it in our PTLS unit as a resource for students. the illustrations are great and helpful for visual learners and ELL students.
Morgen Shambaugh

This book is very educational and includes primary source documents, embedded in the story of lewis and clark. This book accurately portrays their travels through the west. It is useful for teaching students about lewis and clark and explorers in general.
Eden
In this book we read about Lewis and Clark about their travels. It is really interesting to read how far they travelled. It is a nice book. I think any children would like this. It's very easy to read and is written in a fun way.
Shellys♥ Journal
Loved this book. It had a great breakdown of some of the things on Lewis and Clark's trip West. Illustrations were marvelous, only wish it had just a few more things in it from the trip.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
- End paper introduce map of route Lewis and Clark took.
- adequate information, but illustration are very stylized
- use with younger grades 1-3

Caren
I love anything about these guys. Schanzer has a great way of relating historical info in an appealing away for kids.
Rivka D.
One of my favorite books as a little kid. This whole book is just gorgeous. Highly recommended.
Amanda
great pictures but too long to be a good real aloud
Jaylin Brooks
Books is full of dated details from the expedition.
Elizabeth
Well researched book based on journal entries.
Jo
Sep 29, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: childrensbooks, youth
Vary important if you live in the NW of USA.
PWRL
Apr 12, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Keri Howell
Keri Howell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Kaui
Kaui marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Mihaela
Mihaela marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Veselin Benev
Veselin Benev marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
  • Children of the Great Depression
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington
  • A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving
  • Wicked History Of The World
Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed the World Davy Crockett Saves the World