Start by marking “After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's” as Want to Read:
After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's

After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's

A compelling and compassionate work that never fails to stimulate. After the Ball is required reading for straights interested in understanding a minority that comprises 10% of the population and for gays who ar learning that the revolution is far from over.
Published September 1st 1990 by Plume

booklady
Mar 15, 2013 booklady marked it as to-read
Recommended to booklady by: http://www.silencingchristians.com/
I just learned about this book as a result of watching the video "Speechless: Silencing Christians". Did you know this book was written to teach homosexuals how to conduct a publicity and "recognition" campaign using PC speech, the media, and other information management techniques? I know, I know; it sounds a little like I must exaggerating. After you watch this, however, you may think I'm understating the case.
Thomas O'neil
Apr 28, 2015 Thomas O'neil rated it did not like it
A game plan on how to sell homosexuality to America. Shows that the drive for acceptance of homosexuality has been partly a marketing campaign to make homosexuality appear normal.
Kevin
Apr 04, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Upon publication, this was a life-changing, politically-energizing, and inspiring book. In the decades since, its ideas may now seem dated, perhaps inappropriate, but the spirit behind it all was what did indeed earn us many of our successes. I'm always surprised by how little known it is--when a book changes your life it's natural to expect the whole world should know it, as well--because while the PR campaign the book strives for never really came to be in the way it devised it, the spirit of ...more
Hank Stuever
May 15, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it really liked it
My lasting memory of this book is that it felt absolutely necessary at the time, and lent me some of the articulation and rhetorical tools I would need as a young man coming out of the closet and into the 1990s. It wasn't a call to political action so much as a call toward a sensibility. It's possible I could go find a copy (lost mine) and discover that what's in it either doesn't hold up or doesn't matter anymore. But at that moment, at age 21, it felt like desperately essential (and ...more
Denise
Mar 14, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Written in the eighties, the authors explore the failures and possible fixes of a group in crisis. The book is thoughtful, although sometimes harsh. Contains abundant good advice.
Abimelech Abimelech
Apr 22, 2016 Abimelech Abimelech rated it did not like it
And thus, We Knights Templar shall rise again. For We are patient, as History hath proven; and History showeth Patience runs its fleeting criminal course in Dark Ages. Stand up. Thy Time is Now.
Edward Amato
Jun 23, 2015 Edward Amato rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book from the perspective of the 80's but it is definitely dated. I agreed with some of the authors' ideas but found a lot to be hogwash. Tired of their use of stereotypes.
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2007
C-Cose Daley
C-Cose Daley rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Christopher Sibley
Christopher Sibley rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Matt Alice
Matt Alice rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2015
Luke
Luke rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2010
Baxter Chandler
Baxter Chandler rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Karen Fairley
Karen Fairley rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Cyniraholt
Cyniraholt rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Jerome Payne
Jerome Payne rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2016
Benjamin Wetmore
Benjamin Wetmore rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Liesel Rios
Aug 26, 2016 Liesel Rios rated it did not like it
Very badly written, I thought.
Matt V.
Matt V. rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2007
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Don Martin
Don Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Jim Merrell
Jim Merrell rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Dealer
Dealer rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2015