Start by marking “After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's” as Want to Read:
After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's

After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the90's

A compelling and compassionate work that never fails to stimulate. After the Ball is required reading for straights interested in understanding a minority that comprises 10% of the population and for gays who ar learning that the revolution is far from over.
Published September 1st 1990 by Plume

booklady
Mar 15, 2013 booklady marked it as to-read
Recommended to booklady by: http://www.silencingchristians.com/
I just learned about this book as a result of watching the video "Speechless: Silencing Christians". Did you know this book was written to teach homosexuals how to conduct a publicity and "recognition" campaign using PC speech, the media, and other information management techniques? I know, I know; it sounds a little like I must exaggerating. After you watch this, however, you may think I'm understating the case.
Thomas O'neil
Apr 28, 2015 Thomas O'neil rated it did not like it
A game plan on how to sell homosexuality to America. Shows that the drive for acceptance of homosexuality has been partly a marketing campaign to make homosexuality appear normal.
Kevin
Apr 04, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Upon publication, this was a life-changing, politically-energizing, and inspiring book. In the decades since, its ideas may now seem dated, perhaps inappropriate, but the spirit behind it all was what did indeed earn us many of our successes. I'm always surprised by how little known it is--when a book changes your life it's natural to expect the whole world should know it, as well--because while the PR campaign the book strives for never really came to be in the way it devised it, the spirit of ...more
Abimelech Abimelech
Apr 22, 2016 Abimelech Abimelech rated it did not like it
And thus, We Knights Templar shall rise again. For We are patient, as History hath proven; and History showeth Patience runs its fleeting criminal course in Dark Ages. Stand up. Thy Time is Now.
Edward Amato
Jun 23, 2015 Edward Amato rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book from the perspective of the 80's but it is definitely dated. I agreed with some of the authors' ideas but found a lot to be hogwash. Tired of their use of stereotypes.
Liesel Rios
Mar 04, 2014 Liesel Rios rated it did not like it
Very badly written, I thought.
Hank Stuever
May 15, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it really liked it
My lasting memory of this book is that it felt absolutely necessary at the time, and lent me some of the articulation and rhetorical tools I would need as a young man coming out of the closet and into the 1990s. It wasn't a call to political action so much as a call toward a sensibility. It's possible I could go find a copy (lost mine) and discover that what's in it either doesn't hold up or doesn't matter anymore. But at that moment, at age 21, it felt like desperately essential (and reassuring ...more
Denise
Mar 14, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Written in the eighties, the authors explore the failures and possible fixes of a group in crisis. The book is thoughtful, although sometimes harsh. Contains abundant good advice.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Nu Lynx
Nu Lynx marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Miles Smith
Miles Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Orainy
Orainy added it
Jul 11, 2016
A.f
A.f marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
AbuKhaled
AbuKhaled marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Hrvoje R
Hrvoje R marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Fatma Naser
Fatma Naser marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Ahmad
Ahmad marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Ghaida
Ghaida marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Areej
Areej marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Thung Rac
Thung Rac marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Jerome Payne
Jerome Payne rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2016
Tom Gilson
Tom Gilson rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
Mickey Satawhite
Mickey Satawhite marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
P. Es
P. Es marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Terry L
Terry L marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016