Start by marking “Coming Back to Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick” as Want to Read:
Coming Back to Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick

Coming Back to Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In thistrue-life sporting memoir of one of the best batsman in the game who stunned the cricket world when he prematurely ended his own England career, Trescothick’s brave and soul-baring account of his mental frailties opens the way to a better understanding of the unique pressures experienced by modern-day professional sportsmen. At 29, Marcus Trescothick was widely rega ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by HarperCollins UK

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Me

Penguins Stopped Play by Harry ThompsonBeyond A Boundary by C.L.R. JamesA Corner of a Foreign Field by Ramachandra GuhaBob Woolmer's Art and Science of Cricket by Bob WoolmerRain Men by Marcus Berkmann
Cricket
12th out of 178 books — 46 voters
Fever Pitch by Nick HornbyRough Ride by Paul KimmageThe Secret Race by Tyler HamiltonA Life Too Short by Ronald RengIn Black and White by Donald McRae
William Hill Sports Book of the Year
11th out of 25 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerry
This is much more than another sports book. Marcus Trescothick is not one of those here today and gone tomorrow cricketers who have to get their story out after they have been in the game for a very short time. He is an honest to goodness chap who wanted to tell his life story, which entailed a major breakdown that ultimately spelt the end of his international cricketing career.

He begins at the end. Surprised? No need to be for he felt that the best way to deal with his demons was to get them ou
Darren O'Toole
When you hear about athletes suffering from depression, or anyone suffering from it for that matter, I personally have a picture in my head about what they are going through. Marcus's excellent book made me rethink this view. The clear turmoil that he was going through, was something that I hadn't considered possible - particularly of an athlete at that level. The self-doubt, the fear, all whilst playing stunning cricket. The rise in the number of cricketers leaving tours with 'stress-related il ...more
Steve Mitchell
Marcus Trescothick is without a doubt one of the greatest England batsmen it has been my pleasure to watch. I remember both his 108 not out against Pakistan in a one day match at Lord’s and his 219 at the Oval in a Test Match against South Africa in 2003 as though they occurred yesterday. I also remember his return from Australia in 2006/07 before the first Test because of his stress related illness; and the typically sympathetic response from the Australian crowd holding aloft a banner bearing ...more
Alex
With most books about sporting personalities it's unlikely you're going to have any interest in reading if you don't like the sport that said person played. I would say that, what with cricket being quite the 'hit or miss' sport, it probably is the same with this however this is so much more than 'Marcus Trescothick's highlight reel'. For those unaware of who he is; Marcus is a professional cricket player and former opening batsmen for the England team and undoubtedly at that time, one of Englan ...more
Rohit
One of those books that start with cricket but end way beyond it. You cant help but appreciate marcus' honesty, it will make you sad at times to think about how everything turned out for him when all he ever put on display was an amazing talent and a promising career.

The part where he talks about Ashes and the importance it had had in his career throughout, and where he describes his anxiety taking a toll on him will make you feel to be right in his shoes. Amazingly written!
Venky
One of the finest left handed openers for England comes out clean in a no holds barred account of the scourge of depression and the effect that it can have on sportsmen with frenetic game schedules. A brave and inspiring book which perhaps paved the way for many closet depression players to come out into the open and seek help.
Peter

This guy knocked 106, opening for England at Lord's whilst on Citalapram!
Legend!

Very honest, even courageous account of a top sportsman coming to terms with depressive/anxiety illness. Some of which, it strikes me, is written with the decided intent of setting some records straight.
The eventual honesty of Marcus Trescothick's disclosure brought the whole issue of depressive illness into the public domain with an air of seriousness that went some way to dispelling the stigma associated with a sil
Ivor
This biography is completely unlike any other sporting 'autobiography' churned out by sportsmen approaching the end of their career I've ever read. Trescothick gives a candid insight into the way in which his depression affected him and his family. It offers a behind the scenes look into how his illness was handled by England and how Trescothick continued to try and cover the illness up even when it was apparent something was nqr.

In addition to the way in which the book handles his illness there
Rob Linsdell
A very honest and compelling story of a cricketers rise to the top of the game and his subsequent struggles with anxiety, depression and the strain of a life on the road.
Nick
The second half, which concentrates on his depression, is much moreinteresting than the first, which tends to fall into the trap of many sports' biogs (we started the day on 280-4... Pakistan set us a tough target.. etc).

But his candid description of his descent into his own personal hell and the way he attempts to deal with it are fascinating. More high profile people, in sports and in other fields, would do well to help publicise awareness of depression in such a way.
Vanessa
What a fabulously honest book. I admire MT for putting pen to paper and writing about the stress and depression he suffered. It can't have been an easy thing to do. This book is a great read for cricket lovers, however I'd recommend it highly to anyone who has ever suffered from stress or depression, or has anyone close to them who suffered from this illness.
David
Perhaps I had heard too many positive things about this before I read it, because although I enjoyed reading it and thought it was brave of Trescothick to open up about what he had gone through with his depression, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I expected to.
Swardlaw
The best autobiography I've read.
An ordinary, but very well written, cricket book which turns into an extraordinary book when it covers the breakdowns.
Very sad but very positive.
An important book to help people understand what it must be like to suffer from mental health problems.
Hilda
I am so glad i read this book last year, Marcus has been to hell and back with depression and reading his story made me realise what so many don't understand. People will say nervous breakdown, get over it (I have never thought like that) but this story made me understand why!
Kito
a book that tugs at the heartstrings and takes you along on a journey of a troubled troubled man. the bit at the airport where they charge him excess baggage is the nail in the coffin. poor chap. well (ghost) written and very moving, and all just about one cricketer.
Richard
I'm not a huge Cricket fan, but this book is about much more than Cricket. Very frank account of a highly successful and respected International Sportsmans challenges with depression.
Brian
nearly a 5 star - best sports biography I have read - very brave account of his battle with depression which ended his international career
Mike
A very thought-provoking read about one of my cricketing heroes - I read it at a time when I was struggling with my own mental demons.
Paul Riddle
Much more than a sporting autobiography. a painful look at Marc's descent into mental illness and his struggle to contain the demons.
Keith Smith
An interesting book. I don't follow cricket, but was interested in the human interest of Trescothick's mental health problems.
Ciara
Really interesting but a bit heavy on the cricket stats - written more for cricket fans than the average reader
Stephen
interesting read about a cricketer who suffers with depression and finally came out and talk about his illness
Tony
Very interesting life story more about battling the demons of mental illness than cricket.
James Wickham
In many ways, this is both the saddest and most enlightening book I've ever read.
Dafydd
illuminating.

Women should read it to see what it is to be a man!
Simon Curtis
Moving look at the effects of depression. Educational.
Priyanshu
Priyanshu marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Sri Krishna
Sri Krishna marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke
  • Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • In Pursuit of Glory
  • A Social History of English Cricket
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography