Start by marking “Coming Back to Me” as Want to Read:
Coming Back to Me

Coming Back to Me

In this true-life sporting memoir of one of the best batsman in the game who stunned the cricket world when he prematurely ended his own England career, Trescothick’s brave and soul-baring account of his mental frailties opens the way to a better understanding of the unique pressures experienced by modern-day professional sportsmen. At 29, Marcus Trescothick was widely reg ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by HarperCollins UK (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Me

Jo Woolfardis
Marcus Trescothick was one of the truly great English Batsmen until his depression was severely triggered and he realised that touring overseas was an impossibility. Very candid and very open from a wonderful player and great man. Not quite your average sports autobiography as his words on mental health are very welcome in this day and age of sitting still, being quiet and getting on with it. But honestly, if you're not a Cricket fan or a Somerset Faithful, it's unlikely this will show up on you ...more
Gerry
Jul 23, 2013 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is much more than another sports book. Marcus Trescothick is not one of those here today and gone tomorrow cricketers who have to get their story out after they have been in the game for a very short time. He is an honest to goodness chap who wanted to tell his life story, which entailed a major breakdown that ultimately spelt the end of his international cricketing career.

He begins at the end. Surprised? No need to be for he felt that the best way to deal with his demons was to get them ou
Nick
Jan 31, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, sport
The second half, which concentrates on his depression, is much moreinteresting than the first, which tends to fall into the trap of many sports' biogs (we started the day on 280-4... Pakistan set us a tough target.. etc).

But his candid description of his descent into his own personal hell and the way he attempts to deal with it are fascinating. More high profile people, in sports and in other fields, would do well to help publicise awareness of depression in such a way.
Paul Riddle
Sep 12, 2013 Paul Riddle rated it really liked it
Much more than a sporting autobiography. a painful look at Marc's descent into mental illness and his struggle to contain the demons.
Basil Clement
Dec 29, 2014 Basil Clement rated it it was amazing
Entertaining in some parts, moving in other parts, interesting in all parts.
Ian
Jun 26, 2017 Ian rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Marcus Trescothick was one of the best batsmen of his generation, a left handed, top-order biffer, relying on a good eye and a straight bat rather than nifty footwork. There was something gloriously bucolic about the way he played the game (see-ball-hit-ball), something innocent and transparent. I'm ashamed to say that when I heard of him pulling out of England tours through domestic problems or nervous illnesses, I was among the masses clamouring for him to man up and get out there to represent ...more
Alex
Sep 26, 2010 Alex rated it really liked it
With most books about sporting personalities it's unlikely you're going to have any interest in reading if you don't like the sport that said person played. I would say that, what with cricket being quite the 'hit or miss' sport, it probably is the same with this however this is so much more than 'Marcus Trescothick's highlight reel'. For those unaware of who he is; Marcus is a professional cricket player and former opening batsmen for the England team and undoubtedly at that time, one of Englan ...more
Ashok Sridharan
Feb 28, 2015 Ashok Sridharan rated it really liked it
By way of background: the author Marcus Trescothick was an English cricketer who played for England in test and limited overs cricket from 2000 to 2006 as a batsman. He was one of the best opening batsmen in the world during that period and one of the pillars of the English cricket team. He was nearing the peak of his career when an on going battle with depression forced him out of the game forever.

Coming back to me is partly an autobiography (ghost written by Peter Hayter) and partly a narrativ
Mayank
Dec 19, 2012 Mayank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Marcus Trescothick provides an honest and brutal autobiographical account that continues to haunt long after you have read it.
By all accounts, Marcus Trescothick was living a life of his dreams. Blessed with a loving and caring family, he loved doing his job which was to bat for England cricket team. Pretty decent at his job, he was making rapid strides and seemed destined for greatness, until, it all fell apart. Marcus Trescothick was diagnosed with stress related illness - depression and anxi
Steve Mitchell
Marcus Trescothick is without a doubt one of the greatest England batsmen it has been my pleasure to watch. I remember both his 108 not out against Pakistan in a one day match at Lord’s and his 219 at the Oval in a Test Match against South Africa in 2003 as though they occurred yesterday. I also remember his return from Australia in 2006/07 before the first Test because of his stress related illness; and the typically sympathetic response from the Australian crowd holding aloft a banner bearing ...more
Ivor
Mar 31, 2011 Ivor rated it it was amazing
This biography is completely unlike any other sporting 'autobiography' churned out by sportsmen approaching the end of their career I've ever read. Trescothick gives a candid insight into the way in which his depression affected him and his family. It offers a behind the scenes look into how his illness was handled by England and how Trescothick continued to try and cover the illness up even when it was apparent something was nqr.

In addition to the way in which the book handles his illness there
Peter

This guy knocked 106, opening for England at Lord's whilst on Citalapram!
Legend!

Very honest, even courageous account of a top sportsman coming to terms with depressive/anxiety illness. Some of which, it strikes me, is written with the decided intent of setting some records straight.
The eventual honesty of Marcus Trescothick's disclosure brought the whole issue of depressive illness into the public domain with an air of seriousness that went some way to dispelling the stigma associated with a sil
Matt Farrelly
Sep 13, 2016 Matt Farrelly rated it liked it
I had always wondered what happened to Marcus Trescothick after he left the 2006/7 Ashes tour in Australia;such a dominant batsman on the world stage who virtually disappeared into obscurity after going back to England before the series even began.

This book highlights why, and details his battle with depression (an illness to be taken seriously and that so many men and women suffer) and seems to be synonymous with the pressure cooker demands of international cricket (Jonathan Trott was another).
Darren O'Toole
Feb 11, 2014 Darren O'Toole rated it it was amazing
When you hear about athletes suffering from depression, or anyone suffering from it for that matter, I personally have a picture in my head about what they are going through. Marcus's excellent book made me rethink this view. The clear turmoil that he was going through, was something that I hadn't considered possible - particularly of an athlete at that level. The self-doubt, the fear, all whilst playing stunning cricket. The rise in the number of cricketers leaving tours with 'stress-related il ...more
Rohit
Sep 03, 2014 Rohit rated it it was amazing
One of those books that start with cricket but end way beyond it. You cant help but appreciate marcus' honesty, it will make you sad at times to think about how everything turned out for him when all he ever put on display was an amazing talent and a promising career.

The part where he talks about Ashes and the importance it had had in his career throughout, and where he describes his anxiety taking a toll on him will make you feel to be right in his shoes. Amazingly written!
christine hall
Jun 13, 2016 christine hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

That marcus and others like him are being so honest about his illness is what is helping fight the stigma of mental illness today.the more it is recognized as an illness is helping so many people who are fighting depression and anxiety .
The book is honest and a true insight of what it is like to fight of a mental illness and that it is the same as a physical illness
Well done marcus for writing your story and being so honest
Vanessa
Jul 27, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
What a fabulously honest book. I admire MT for putting pen to paper and writing about the stress and depression he suffered. It can't have been an easy thing to do. This book is a great read for cricket lovers, however I'd recommend it highly to anyone who has ever suffered from stress or depression, or has anyone close to them who suffered from this illness.
Ramakanth Josyula
Aug 13, 2016 Ramakanth Josyula rated it it was amazing
While written by a cricketer and a lot of chapters are dedicated to his matches, the book is about Trescothicks battle with depression and anxiety. This is a must read for anyone whose response to depression is "get over it" or if they think it is just a weakness. Reading what he went through is horrifying and tells you how bad it is for someone who is going through it.
Venky
Oct 02, 2014 Venky rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
One of the finest left handed openers for England comes out clean in a no holds barred account of the scourge of depression and the effect that it can have on sportsmen with frenetic game schedules. A brave and inspiring book which perhaps paved the way for many closet depression players to come out into the open and seek help.
Toby
Apr 08, 2015 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-and-diary
Notable less for its literary merit or sporting insights and more for the honest way in which Trescothick describes his famous fall into depression and anxiety that saw England lose the most exciting and brutal opening batsmen of his generation.
David
Dec 24, 2013 David rated it liked it
Perhaps I had heard too many positive things about this before I read it, because although I enjoyed reading it and thought it was brave of Trescothick to open up about what he had gone through with his depression, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I expected to.
Kito
Sep 29, 2011 Kito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a book that tugs at the heartstrings and takes you along on a journey of a troubled troubled man. the bit at the airport where they charge him excess baggage is the nail in the coffin. poor chap. well (ghost) written and very moving, and all just about one cricketer.
Hilda
Feb 15, 2012 Hilda rated it it was amazing
I am so glad i read this book last year, Marcus has been to hell and back with depression and reading his story made me realise what so many don't understand. People will say nervous breakdown, get over it (I have never thought like that) but this story made me understand why!
Swardlaw
Mar 30, 2013 Swardlaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best autobiography I've read.
An ordinary, but very well written, cricket book which turns into an extraordinary book when it covers the breakdowns.
Very sad but very positive.
An important book to help people understand what it must be like to suffer from mental health problems.
Mike
Oct 24, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cricket
A very thought-provoking read about one of my cricketing heroes - I read it at a time when I was struggling with my own mental demons.
Simon Curtis
Mar 27, 2010 Simon Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cricket
Moving look at the effects of depression. Educational.
Tom
Oct 05, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sports autobiography elevated by its bravery and the suspense caused by a sense of foreboding at what's to come.
Hassan
Apr 10, 2016 Hassan rated it it was amazing
A battling story of a succesful cricketet suffering from a stress disorder!
Bedbyas Datta
Aug 22, 2015 Bedbyas Datta rated it it was amazing
A haunting read especially towards the last segment.
Stephen
interesting read about a cricketer who suffers with depression and finally came out and talk about his illness
  • Harold Larwood