Start by marking “Jack the Ripper: The Casebook” as Want to Read:
Jack the Ripper: The Casebook

Jack the Ripper: The Casebook

Investigate one of the most compelling killers of all time! Jack the Ripper: The Casebook takes readers on a tour of Victorian London’s underworld where the slayings took place, from street corner taverns to unsavory lodging houses. One by one the murder victims are revealed, the circumstances of their killings investigated, and the suspects analyzed. What amateur sleuths ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by Andre Deutsch (first published October 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jack the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack the Ripper

Saoirse Sterling
This book contains all the details you could desire to learn more about the man they called Jack the Ripper: a murderer in the Whitechapel area of London who murdered prostitutes and was the one that got away. It is unbiased, though the way it is set out makes it feel as if the murders have been trivialised a little for entertainment purposes. Wanting to learn about a murder doesn't mean you condone it, but this feels like it blurs the line between a horrific act by a detestable man and just ...more
Jo
This is a great book for anybody fascinated by this famous case as it contains facsimiles of documents from the police archives. Jones brings nothing new to the table (but then again, what else is there to say?) but presents his facts in an interesting and informative way.
Rachel McQuoid
Jan 03, 2013 Rachel McQuoid rated it really liked it
this book is fantastic, it is unbiased and presents all the information, enabling you to draw your own conclusion.
in the book there are copies of the letters he wrote to taunt police, they are presented on seperate pieces of paper which is a really nice touch.
overall i think the book was very well done and laid out perfectly.
Anna
A very compact book filled to the brim with information about the great mystery that is Jack the Ripper. A fascinating case if I may say so myself, even if I find police recordings and murder investigations a bit dull, probably because I've watched way too many cop shows.

caruso Pictures, Images and Photos

Yeah, well the police at that time probably couldn't compare to the overly cliched cool of David Caruso, but I digress.

I liked that the book included actual copies of the police reports and Ripper letters, rather than just giv
Nicole
Apr 11, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
I bought this at the Sherlock Holmes museum giftshop, but I saw it is also available everywhere else.
This book describes on every page , and only on one page, the victims of Jack the Ripper, it starts with a short introduction of the life and the people of the East End during this century and ended with the main suspects of the murder series.
Concerning that only one page for every subject is available, the informations of course were kept short, but that doesn't break the reading enjoyment down.
Lise
Jul 10, 2012 Lise rated it really liked it
A quick read, presumably aimed at the younger reader who has a casual interest on the subject. All the information you expect to find and indeed handy for anybody who might want to look some specific detail up at ease. As somebody who had been to the casebook website many a time, this really is a good addition to a Victorian crime enthusiasts bookshelf, specifically because it includes facsimiles of the documents associated with the Whitechapel murders. All in all, fun and fascinating was of ...more
Michelle
Jun 25, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
A good method to convey the information available on this notorious case to the casually interested reader. One can choose or not to try to decipher the writing of the copies of source documents included. Since I took the Jack the Ripper walk in London a year and a half ago, it sufficiently chilled with the remembrance of the rainy and dreary locations of crime, despite the various modern changes of the area over the years.
Joseph
Oct 08, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing
I like the book because I like mystery books.
I also like the book because I like to learn about things in history.
I also like to learn about killers because if I meet one that I don't know I will know what attributes to look for.
And I like this book a lot because this case is still unsolved
The plot is that this person murdered manny people and this mystery is still unsolved
Zoe
Jul 22, 2013 Zoe rated it it was amazing
For all jack the Ripper buffs this book is a must. Copies of original documents combined with an easy to read breakdown of the Whitechapel murders events and gloss pictures makes this a very enjoyable, all be it disturbing read.
Kristin
Jul 14, 2015 Kristin rated it liked it
This book gives a good broad overview of the victims of Jack the Ripper as well as key witnesses and the suspects. It's short on details, but at least doesn't promote one theory over another. Plus the layout is fun.
Izabela
Jun 02, 2014 Izabela rated it really liked it
This book is a great little reference for people who know little about Jack the Ripper all the way through those who are familiar with it. If the pull-out facsimiles were actually readable, I'd give it 5 stars.
Mark
Jun 19, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
A book like this, and yet.........NO map of Whitechapel showing the murder sites. Lame omission. Also, as with just about all other ripper books......"facts", are not nearly all facts.
Meg Fox
Jun 27, 2013 Meg Fox rated it it was amazing
brilliant thing to have.i love all the little pockets of letters. also have a sherlock holmes one. jack the ripper is a favourite subject of mine.
Lisa Fuller
Nov 11, 2014 Lisa Fuller rated it liked it
Creepy in a fascinating way. Reading this was like watching a car wreck. I just couldn't look away, no matter how much it twisted my stomach.
Stu Nami
Jun 19, 2016 Stu Nami rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. Plenty of information, not only about the murders, but the era. The best part are the reproductions of police reports and "Ripper" letters that are included.
April Vangelderen
Sep 06, 2014 April Vangelderen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ones-i-own
Gave me new insite on the case and why they call him/them Jack The Ripper. Also with the extra papers and such, made me feel like a real detective.
Shannon Wright
Shannon Wright rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Ashley Harper
Ashley Harper rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2010
Ricksteff
Ricksteff rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Garine
Garine rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Carolyn Ensley
Carolyn Ensley rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Star
Star rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
John Langlois
John Langlois rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Diana Tavares
Diana Tavares rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Nikki-Lou
Nikki-Lou rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
  • Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution
  • Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell
  • The Complete Jack the Ripper
  • Jack the Ripper: The Facts
  • The Diary of Jack the Ripper: The Discovery, the Investigation, the Authentication, the Debate
  • The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
  • The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper
  • The Jack the Ripper A to Z
  • London 1849: A Victorian Murder Story
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • The World's Most Bizarre Murders: True Stories That Will Shock and Amaze You
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Serial Killers
  • 1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper
  • Women Who Kill: Profiles of Female Serial Killers
  • The Fall of the House of Walworth: A Tale of Madness and Murder in Gilded Age America
  • The Killer Book of Serial Killers: Incredible Stories, Facts, and Trivia from the World of Serial Killers