Start by marking “A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer: Writings to Stop Violence Against Women and girls” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  371 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Selections from the “Until the Violence Stops” Festival

Featuring writings by Abiola Abrams • Edward Albee • Tariq Ali • Maya Angelou • Periel Aschenbrand • Patricia Bosworth • Nicole Burdette • Kate Clinton • Kimberle Crenshaw • Michael Cunningham • Edwidge Danticat • Ariel Dorfman • Mollie Doyle • Slavenka Drakulic • Michael Eric Dyson • Dave Eggers • Kathy Engel • Eve En
Published May 29th 2007 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
Best Feminist Books
230th out of 1,350 books — 1,895 voters
Off-Topic by G.R. ReaderSpark by Rupert DreyfusThe Rebel's Sketchbook by Rupert DreyfusThe Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirNew Beat Newbie by Harry Whitewolf
The Revolution Starts Here
58th out of 87 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jan 21, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
A collection of essays, skits, poems and short stories about violence against women and girls. I liked that this book is not an argument for feminism. It doesn't have to be. Very powerful and disturbing.
Lindy Loo
Oct 01, 2007 Lindy Loo rated it liked it
There were a few pieces in here that just ripped your heart out. And then there were the rest. I appreciate the point of the book and her project. And I appreciate the diversity of works in it. But honestly, oftentimes the pieces seemed very flat and offered nothing more complex to think about than a moral that could be summed as "violence against women: bad."
Nathan Satterlee
Jan 20, 2013 Nathan Satterlee rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful group of essays, stories, plays, and poems about, among other things, the importance of awareness, especially of the value of marginalized voices. The subject matter of inclusiveness in this case also helped me overcome the tendency to judge one piece as better or worse than its neighbors. The result was accepting and even embracing all entries in a way that's unique for a collection like this. For me it also opened up a greater appreciation of the innocence in Ensler's I Am a ...more
Terry
Aug 25, 2008 Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't know what to say about this book. I would have thought I would really embrace it. Tentatively, I say it might be a good book for younger women, or, say, college undergraduates who are just beginning to explore the world and are learning for the first time it's a violent place, or who think "that will never happen to me" because odds, literally, are that it will. It might be a comforting book to someone who's been a victim of violence to know they are not alone. For me, though...the book ...more
Lucy
Aug 04, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
This was so amazing and heartbreaking at the same time; everyone should be required to read this. The amount of times I almost cried and all these a true stories and oh my god I literally cannot imagine the abuse faced by some of the women in this novel. I recommend this to everyone, please, please read this.
Tori
Apr 19, 2010 Tori rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book in the Women's Studies section at the bookstore with no idea what it would be about, but after the first few monologues, I couldn't set down the book. This book talks about all the torture and pain that women in other countries must go through. One woman that I read about was forced to have intercourse with a soldier and then was murdered after he got his pleasure from her. Another women, an African woman, was a Female Genital Mutilation victim and would never be able to ha ...more
Simona
Apr 07, 2014 Simona rated it liked it
Siamo bombardati ogni giorno di notizie relative a donne che vengono violentate, stuprate, usate, uccise e abusate, e ogni volta ci sentiamo, ci chiediamo come sia possibile che avvengono tragedie di tale portata e cosa possiamo fare per evitare tutto ciò.
Eve Ensler è passata dalle parole ai fatti, dalla teoria alla pratica e, grazie ad altre penne, come quelle di Michael Cunnigham, Alice Walker, Jane Fonda, Dave Eggers, ha dato vita a questo saggio denunciando la brutalità, la tragedia che le
Lana
Mar 26, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
This book angers you, breaks you, and then empowers you to keep fighting, even after and because of the brutality.
Kelley
Jul 07, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-2011
An in-your-face collection of writings by talented people regarding the topic of violence against women. Some pieces I felt were a little over the top but that IS Eve Ensler at times so it didn’t distract from the overall message. One essay that really got my attention was “My house is wallpapered with lies” about abuse from the mouths of public school kids and to me it really shows how kids feel about their often-chaotic living situations. Kudos to Eve for doing it again…I would love to see thi ...more
Elizabeth Burgess
Aug 01, 2012 Elizabeth Burgess rated it really liked it
This collection is one that needs to be taught in schools. We need to start dialogues about abuse so survivors know they are not alone, so everyone becomes aware of the suffering millions are experiencing, so we can all work to put an end to violence, so our daughters know they don't deserve to be treated as less than and so our sons do not continue the cycle. My favorite pieces in this collection were "the next fantastic leap", "part owner" and the afterword by Jane Fonda.

Lynn Cooper
Oct 12, 2009 Lynn Cooper rated it it was amazing
What an emotional rollercoaster! This was probably the most difficult book I've ever read. It's not that the material was too complicated to understand; it was so overwhelmingly emotional it was hard to imagine what some of these women had been through. These stories are truly inspirational and make me grateful for the life I've had.
Jenny
Feb 18, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
Typical Eve Ensler, in a good way. This is a compilation of different writers talking about violence against women. Some of the are personal stories, poetry, rants, performance pieces. It was great to hear from fairly famous people! A good, quick read. Not as much as a tear jerker as some of Ensler's other work, not as funny either.
Addy
Mar 03, 2009 Addy rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Performs well...a good addition to a V-day lineup.

I enjoyed having a variety of writers to hear from. I enjoyed that a man's perspective was included, helps remove the "man-hater" stereotype from V-day.

I think that it's worth a read at the very least, but is more powerful performed.
Krissy
Apr 09, 2013 Krissy rated it really liked it
MMRP was powerful when I saw a V-Day production of it a couple years ago, and the essays held up to that power when I finally read it this year. Some of the essays were very raw and uncomfortable to read - that doesn't mean they shouldn't be read though. The essays need to be shared.
Araminta Matthews
Oct 17, 2007 Araminta Matthews rated it liked it
Recommends it for: VDay
Not Eve Ensler's best writing herself, but the writing displayed by the multitude of writers that contributed to this collection is fine enough. It is much darker than I'd hoped. This book includes writings from Sharon Olds, Michael Cunningham, Alice Walker, and Maya Angelou.
Danyel
Jul 24, 2011 Danyel rated it really liked it
This book has left such a strong impression in my mind. These stories both fictional and real stirred something in me. It made me question my own sense of femininty. It made me question my security and it made me question the type of world we live in. Fantastic!!!
Vanessa
Apr 30, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I read this in a couple hours, gave me chills at times, and also was a reminder to me that the bravery to speak out against violence, the strength of words being shared across boundaries/continents/languages, is, and will continue to be a fierce catalyst for change.
Tchiyiwe Chihana
Feb 19, 2013 Tchiyiwe Chihana rated it really liked it
Not for the faint-hearted/averse to hearing about rape and other forms of sexual violence that affect women. A very intense read that will leave no mystery around real life atrocities faced by women but will jolt any reader in to wanting to do something about it.
Uma
Sep 08, 2008 Uma rated it really liked it
parts were incredibly depressing, but it was also pretty good. I'll admit to skimming some of the stories, or skipping some all together b/c they didn't catch my interest, but more often because they were just too sad.
Kristin
Mar 20, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I loved the afterward by Jane Fonda. It really made this worthwhile. Everything was great and really pulled on my heartstrings but, the last bit really did it for me.
AJ
Awesome book. Awesome awesome awesome. It was also great to read on the T because it's short essays, rants, stories and poems that I could easily read in between stops.
Ann
Jan 10, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
So much fun to read this one! The SJU women's group is doing a staged reading of this this spring!

Happy V-Day!
Sue Lyle
Nov 11, 2011 Sue Lyle rated it liked it
Not as accessible as the Vagina Monologues - a harrowing read nevertheless and should be required reading.
Ashley
Aug 06, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories. I have seen the Vagina Monologues, so I really appreciated this.
Meen
Apr 13, 2008 Meen marked it as to-read
There should be "MUST READ" shelf!
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
mdbinmi
mdbinmi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Margarita
Margarita marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Hatet: En bok om antifeminism
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Intimate Wars: The Life and Times of the Woman Who Brought Abortion from the Back Alley to the Board Room
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • Are Women Human?: And Other International Dialogues
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Abortion & Life
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Ophelia Speaks: Adolescent Girls Write About Their Search for Self
  • A Vindication of the Rights of Men & A Vindication of the Rights of Woman & An Historical and Moral View of the French Revolution (3 in 1)
  • Female Perversions
Eve Ensler is an internationally bestselling author and an award-winning playwright whose works include The Vagina Monologues, The Good Body, Insecure at Last, and I Am an Emotional Creature, since adapted for the stage as Emotional Creature. She is the founder of V-Day, the global movement to end violence against women and girls, which has raised more than $90 million for local groups and activis ...more
More about Eve Ensler...