Start by marking “A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer: Writings to Stop Violence Against Women and girls” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Selections from the “Until the Violence Stops” Festival

Featuring writings by Abiola Abrams • Edward Albee • Tariq Ali • Maya Angelou • Periel Aschenbrand • Patricia Bosworth • Nicole Burdette • Kate Clinton • Kimberle Crenshaw • Michael Cunningham • Edwidge Danticat • Ariel Dorfman • Mollie Doyle • Slavenka Drakulic • Michael Eric Dyson • Dave Eggers • Kathy Engel • Eve En
Published May 29th 2007 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Best Feminist Books
194th out of 963 books — 1,128 voters
Off-Topic by G.R. ReaderThe Communist Manifesto by Karl MarxThe Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouA Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
The Revolution Starts Here
46th out of 75 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindy Loo
There were a few pieces in here that just ripped your heart out. And then there were the rest. I appreciate the point of the book and her project. And I appreciate the diversity of works in it. But honestly, oftentimes the pieces seemed very flat and offered nothing more complex to think about than a moral that could be summed as "violence against women: bad."
Nathan Satterlee
This is a powerful group of essays, stories, plays, and poems about, among other things, the importance of awareness, especially of the value of marginalized voices. The subject matter of inclusiveness in this case also helped me overcome the tendency to judge one piece as better or worse than its neighbors. The result was accepting and even embracing all entries in a way that's unique for a collection like this. For me it also opened up a greater appreciation of the innocence in Ensler's I Am a ...more
Terry
I don't know what to say about this book. I would have thought I would really embrace it. Tentatively, I say it might be a good book for younger women, or, say, college undergraduates who are just beginning to explore the world and are learning for the first time it's a violent place, or who think "that will never happen to me" because odds, literally, are that it will. It might be a comforting book to someone who's been a victim of violence to know they are not alone. For me, though...the book ...more
Tori
I picked up this book in the Women's Studies section at the bookstore with no idea what it would be about, but after the first few monologues, I couldn't set down the book. This book talks about all the torture and pain that women in other countries must go through. One woman that I read about was forced to have intercourse with a soldier and then was murdered after he got his pleasure from her. Another women, an African woman, was a Female Genital Mutilation victim and would never be able to ha ...more
Simona
Siamo bombardati ogni giorno di notizie relative a donne che vengono violentate, stuprate, usate, uccise e abusate, e ogni volta ci sentiamo, ci chiediamo come sia possibile che avvengono tragedie di tale portata e cosa possiamo fare per evitare tutto ciò.
Eve Ensler è passata dalle parole ai fatti, dalla teoria alla pratica e, grazie ad altre penne, come quelle di Michael Cunnigham, Alice Walker, Jane Fonda, Dave Eggers, ha dato vita a questo saggio denunciando la brutalità, la tragedia che le
Kelley
An in-your-face collection of writings by talented people regarding the topic of violence against women. Some pieces I felt were a little over the top but that IS Eve Ensler at times so it didn’t distract from the overall message. One essay that really got my attention was “My house is wallpapered with lies” about abuse from the mouths of public school kids and to me it really shows how kids feel about their often-chaotic living situations. Kudos to Eve for doing it again…I would love to see thi ...more
Elizabeth Burgess
This collection is one that needs to be taught in schools. We need to start dialogues about abuse so survivors know they are not alone, so everyone becomes aware of the suffering millions are experiencing, so we can all work to put an end to violence, so our daughters know they don't deserve to be treated as less than and so our sons do not continue the cycle. My favorite pieces in this collection were "the next fantastic leap", "part owner" and the afterword by Jane Fonda.

Lynn Cooper
What an emotional rollercoaster! This was probably the most difficult book I've ever read. It's not that the material was too complicated to understand; it was so overwhelmingly emotional it was hard to imagine what some of these women had been through. These stories are truly inspirational and make me grateful for the life I've had.
Jenny
Typical Eve Ensler, in a good way. This is a compilation of different writers talking about violence against women. Some of the are personal stories, poetry, rants, performance pieces. It was great to hear from fairly famous people! A good, quick read. Not as much as a tear jerker as some of Ensler's other work, not as funny either.
Addy
Mar 03, 2009 Addy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Performs well...a good addition to a V-day lineup.

I enjoyed having a variety of writers to hear from. I enjoyed that a man's perspective was included, helps remove the "man-hater" stereotype from V-day.

I think that it's worth a read at the very least, but is more powerful performed.
Krissy
MMRP was powerful when I saw a V-Day production of it a couple years ago, and the essays held up to that power when I finally read it this year. Some of the essays were very raw and uncomfortable to read - that doesn't mean they shouldn't be read though. The essays need to be shared.
Araminta Matthews
Oct 17, 2007 Araminta Matthews rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: VDay
Not Eve Ensler's best writing herself, but the writing displayed by the multitude of writers that contributed to this collection is fine enough. It is much darker than I'd hoped. This book includes writings from Sharon Olds, Michael Cunningham, Alice Walker, and Maya Angelou.
Danyel
This book has left such a strong impression in my mind. These stories both fictional and real stirred something in me. It made me question my own sense of femininty. It made me question my security and it made me question the type of world we live in. Fantastic!!!
Vanessa
I read this in a couple hours, gave me chills at times, and also was a reminder to me that the bravery to speak out against violence, the strength of words being shared across boundaries/continents/languages, is, and will continue to be a fierce catalyst for change.
Thandiwe
Not for the faint-hearted/averse to hearing about rape and other forms of sexual violence that affect women. A very intense read that will leave no mystery around real life atrocities faced by women but will jolt any reader in to wanting to do something about it.
Uma
parts were incredibly depressing, but it was also pretty good. I'll admit to skimming some of the stories, or skipping some all together b/c they didn't catch my interest, but more often because they were just too sad.
Kristin
I loved the afterward by Jane Fonda. It really made this worthwhile. Everything was great and really pulled on my heartstrings but, the last bit really did it for me.
AJ
Awesome book. Awesome awesome awesome. It was also great to read on the T because it's short essays, rants, stories and poems that I could easily read in between stops.
Ann
So much fun to read this one! The SJU women's group is doing a staged reading of this this spring!

Happy V-Day!
Sue Lyle
Not as accessible as the Vagina Monologues - a harrowing read nevertheless and should be required reading.
Ashley (For the Love of the Page)
Excellent collection of stories. I have seen the Vagina Monologues, so I really appreciated this.
Meen
Apr 13, 2008 Meen marked it as to-read
There should be "MUST READ" shelf!
Giulia
Giulia marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Meghan Schmidt
Meghan Schmidt marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • Hatet: En bok om antifeminism
  • Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist Activism
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • The Creation of Patriarchy
  • Intimate Wars: The Life and Times of the Woman Who Brought Abortion from the Back Alley to the Board Room
  • A Vindication of the Rights of Men & A Vindication of the Rights of Woman & An Historical and Moral View of the French Revolution (3 in 1)
  • Without a Net: The Female Experience of Growing Up Working Class
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men
Eve Ensler is an internationally bestselling author and an award-winning playwright whose works include The Vagina Monologues, The Good Body, Insecure at Last, and I Am an Emotional Creature, since adapted for the stage as Emotional Creature. She is the founder of V-Day, the global movement to end violence against women and girls, which has raised more than $90 million for local groups and activis ...more
More about Eve Ensler...
The Vagina Monologues I am an Emotional Creature The Good Body In the Body of the World Insecure at Last