Start by marking “The Hand-Me-Down Family” as Want to Read:
The Hand-Me-Down Family

The Hand-Me-Down Family

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Callie Gray always assumed she would never marry, until she took a leap and became a mail-order bride. But when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas, she gets the shock of her life. Her husband is dead, and his brother proposes she marry him, for the sake of his orphaned nephew and nieces. Jack Tyler warns her not to hope for a love match--theirs is strictly a convenient marriag ...more
Paperback, Love Inspired Historical #28, 278 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand-Me-Down Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand-Me-Down Family

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oct 02, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of marriage of convenience, inspirational romance, and less than perfect themes
The Hand-Me Down Family was my first foray into Christian romance in a long time. I was excited to read this one, because I've enjoyed books by Winnie Griggs in the past. In addition, I am a big enthusiast of marriage of convenience storylines.

All and all, this was a pleasant read. I did have some moments where I felt like things were moving at a sluggish pace. Also I had issues with how the spiritual messages seemed to be somewhat cut and pasted in. What I mean by this is, I felt like Ms. Grigg
SheLove2Read
Mar 09, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of convenience marriages
Shelves: 2010
This is one of those books that sneaks up on you unexpectedly. I absolutely loved it.

Callie Gray has traveled to Texas to be with her new husband and children. (She married him by proxy) She is excited to be starting a new life away from her well meaning but smothering family back in Ohio, even though she knows this is not a love match but one of convenience (her best friend has died and the husband needs someone to help him raise their children). You see, Callie has a small but noticeable port
Janine
Sep 27, 2014 Janine rated it really liked it
“The Hand-Me-Down Family” by Winnie Griggs is a wonderful story that is about two wounded people, who hide parts of themselves from those around them. One hides their physical issues while the other hides their inner issues. Somehow these two people who are use to hiding from others, including themselves it seems, open up in such an interesting way.

Callie is a woman who never thought that she would marry, and decided that she could become a mail-order bride, but her circumstances were not quite
Terri
Jun 21, 2010 Terri rated it really liked it
it is wonderful story .. My mother will read this book soon.. I am going to read more of WInne's books for future.
Anita
May 14, 2013 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Loved the book, setting, story, characters, and time setting, location etc...good book to read
Deborah Malone
Dec 22, 2009 Deborah Malone rated it it was amazing
Now having said all of this I want to give a review of The Hand-Me-Down Family by Winnie Griggs. This is a historical romance that takes place in California, 1888. Winnie takes the main character, Calley Gray, and puts her on a stage coach to meet her new husband by proxy. Before she arrives he loses his life in a fire and leaves his young daughter without a father. (she had already lost her mother, Calley's good friend).

Now, mind you, Calley knows no one in California and is shocked to say the
Krissie
Dec 29, 2014 Krissie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
allie Gray always assumed she would never marry, until she took a leap and became a mail-order bride. But when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas, she gets the shock of her life. Her husband is dead, and his brother proposes she marry him, for the sake of his orphaned nephew and nieces. Jack Tyler warns her not to hope for a love match. burned down family store
Michelle
Dec 08, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I liked that the heroine had physical flaws. The story was a little predictable, but it was well written with likeable characters. I will be reading more books from this author.
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
I bought this book because right now I am into mail order brides (don't ask me why). This book was very sweet in a Little House on the Prairie kind of way. There is no cursing or sex and the most you will get is a kiss, and its not a "hot" passionate kiss. There is also a lot of praying, church and scripture reading so if you are not into that, this is not your book. What I didn't like is that she seemed a little pushy in her beliefs. What I did like is how she came to terms with her birthmark a ...more
Mallory Gaile
Aug 06, 2012 Mallory Gaile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves
We've all read stories where the herione is pure perfection, we love these ladies but it's a refreshing change to have a heroine that isn't. Callie, though beautiful on the outside, has a birthmark that takes a little getting used to.

It doesn't stop her from standing her ground with Jack, when it comes to the children that were part of his life and are now part of hers.

This was my first book by this author and I can't decide if I liked it more because of the romance or the journey Callie takes
Verodarling Melani
Dec 02, 2014 Verodarling Melani rated it really liked it
It was a nice story, but I wanted more "spark" between the H and h.
Darina
Jan 08, 2015 Darina rated it liked it
Sweet romantic story about overcoming insecurities.
Dec 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Loved Callie and her take whatever comes her way even though she struggles with her self confidence.
Callie Gray is unprepared for how upside things turn out for her when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas or for her first meeting with Jack Tyler.
Jack Tyler has come home to deal with the loss of his family and take of his nieces and nephew not at all prepared to take of his brother's new bride now widow who is prepared to fight for the kids in every way.
Will Jack and Callie learn to work to togethe
Crystal Barnes
Jan 12, 2015 Crystal Barnes rated it really liked it
Well-thought-out characters. An enjoyable read.
Brynnie
This was a sweet story. However, I felt it could've been a lot better. I know Christian books tend to have less romance but this book barely had anything. Some parts also moved very slow and had me struggling to keep reading. I also felt the religious aspect was a bit in your face.. like Bible passages just thrown in all over the place. While some people might like that, I prefer books that are more subtle. Overall, I think the writing was good and had an interesting plot but it just fell short.
Dorcas
This is such a touching story about a woman with a birthmark who takes her friends place to be a mail order bride. Winnie Griggs makes compelling characters that you root for from the very beginning. The "groom" at first is very displeased with the switch but as the story goes on, the way he sticks up for the heroine touches your heart. It was one of those stories where I had to take a few breaks to "get a hold" of my emotions as I got so involved with the characters. Love this story!
Jan Romes
Feb 14, 2012 Jan Romes rated it it was amazing
Truly a sweet romance! This marriage of convenience story tugs at your heart. Winnie Griggs does an excellent job with her characters, settings, and plot. I would high recommend this book :-))

* had the pleasure of meeting Winnie a few years ago at the NOLA conference in Shreveport - she's as warm and friendly as her characters!
Shelley
Apr 26, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kristine
Plane reading. I first thought it was going to be too preachy, but it never was. I loved Callie and Jack and their slow discovery of happiness and this is one of the few romance novels where I'd love to see more of their story - a promise of happily ever after wasn't enough! I think this'd be far too obscure for Yuletide, though. LOL
Sandie Mixa
Aug 17, 2009 Sandie Mixa rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this mail-order bride story. The groom fell in love with his bride over time (despite her physical defect) because of her loving, kind, hard-working and selfless nature. And in turn she helped him find a sense of belonging and new found faith in God and his worth.
Judy
Aug 29, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing
I enjoy most all books I read but this one was so special.

It reminds of how many of allow what others think to rule who we behave.

We hide because of minor flaws

We should always try to only see ourselves as God see's us

Thanks Winnie for an awesome book.
Lyn Morgan
Dec 23, 2011 Lyn Morgan rated it really liked it
This author never disappoints me. Her feel for her characters is perfect. Their journey to happiness, especially in this book, left me feeling happy, satisfied with a perfect happily ever after life for these wonderful characters.
Shelly
May 02, 2013 Shelly rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. I do enjoy this type of book. I loved the little details about life in this time and place, like milking, gathering eggs, etc. I did not feel a lot of depth to the characters or story, but enjoyed it all the same.
Penelope Marzec
This was an enjoyable, old-fashioned romance. Gentle, but still packed with complex emotions and well-defined characters.
Melody
Nov 21, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it
I love the idea of a marriage of convenience and seeing where that can go. This kind of story gets me every time! :)
Joanne Stein
Jan 20, 2010 Joanne Stein rated it liked it
This book was very sweet and the characters had depth. Really enjoyed it and would recommend as a quick read.
Amanda Pegnam
Jul 29, 2013 Amanda Pegnam rated it really liked it
A little slow setting up the story, but once it got going, I really liked it!
Nancy Palmer
Jun 28, 2015 Nancy Palmer rated it really liked it
Very good story. I really enjoyed this story.
Angie
Jul 08, 2009 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Totally predictable cute story.
Highland-dreamer
got teary at some parts.. sweet story.
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Maverick Preacher  (The Women of Swan's Nest, #1)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Family of the Heart
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Journey Home (Depression Series, #2)
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
  • The Homesteader's Sweetheart
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • The Preacher's Wife
191160
Winnie Griggs grew up in south Louisiana in an undeveloped area her friends thought of as the very back of beyond. With her two younger siblings and another family of two siblings for playmates, she spent many an hour exploring the overgrown land around her home, cutting jungle trails, building forts and frontier camps, and looking for pirate ships on the nearby bayou.

Once she ‘grew up’ she found
More about Winnie Griggs...