Start by marking “The Perfect Manhattan” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Manhattan

The Perfect Manhattan

Meet Cassie Ellis—a young college graduate with the world on a string, a yen for screenwriting, and a need for fast cash to pay off her student loans. Eager to avoid the lucrative snooze-fest of a reliable consulting job, she shocks everyone she knows by opting for a sexier, more flexible job: mixing drinks. Never mind that she doesn’t know single-malt whiskey from Jack Da ...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Manhattan

Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
New Adult Literature
1,316 books — 2,261 voters
Pure by Terra Elan McVoyAdultery by Paulo CoelhoPopping the Cherry by Aurelia B. RowlOf All the Stupid Things by Alexandra DiazThe Secret Fruit of Peter Paddington by Brian  Francis
Cherries
67 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Ibbi
Feb 16, 2013 Ibbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consider that Cassie has a hard time to choice as a bartender and a writer. I want Cassie is good as a writer so that she is best salary. Cassie is very stubborn what she wants to look for a bar. I am not finished to read a lot of page of book. I am forward to reading last page of book. She may be changing her mind which she wants to.
Jessica
Nov 20, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Loved it! I didn't want it to end!
Cris Mtz
Jul 06, 2015 Cris Mtz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un divertido y ameno chick-lit.
Alex
Oct 08, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chicks
For all you fellow New Yorkers...great read! Chick Lit!
Jenn
Aug 20, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Once I started it I couldn't put it down.
Sandra Gallegos
Aug 20, 2015 Sandra Gallegos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worst-books-ever
What. A big. Shit.
Este libro no ha sido para nada lo que prometía la sinopsis. Ni siquiera el título me parece adecuado, porque, total, lo del Manhattan perfecto se menciona de pasada al principio del libro; a partir de ahí, a la protagonista sólo le preocupa encajar en la alta sociedad de los Hampton, cosa que no puede hacer debido a su trabajo de barman. Trabajo que, en realidad, Cassie buscó como manera de mantenerse durante un tiempo mientras se dedicaba a escribir, pero en torno al cual aca
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the long list of books I list in this review
Recommended to Brittany by: Danielle
How I Came To Read This Book: Danielle lent it to me.

The Plot: Cassie is a recent college grad whose having trouble finding work with her flimsy creative writing degree. She enrolls in a bartending course (and practically flunks out) and manages to land a job tending at a small-time bar, but soon works her way up into a plum bartending position at a new club in the Hamptons entitled Spark. Soon Cassie is wrapped up in the bar star lifestyle - staying up till 6 am, watching her coworkers do lines
Melissa | BookBFF
Jan 04, 2012 Melissa | BookBFF rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemp, favorites
I loved this book...I think because I used to waitress years ago. If you have ever worked in a restaurant it will have you smiling and laughing endlessly. The authors were spot on about how being a female in the restaurant industry has its major pros and cons. I loved how this book had me constantly guessing what would happen next, and being pleasantly surprised when my guesses were wrong. I hate when books are overly predictable.

Annie reminded me of my best friend who is blunt and at times giv
Ahutton79
Feb 10, 2012 Ahutton79 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and I have to say, I was really into it up until the end. The authors paint a pretty vivid picture of the Hamptons bar and club scene and although they traffic in some pretty big stereotypes, like the blinged out rapper with the entourage or the mafioso-looking Italian guys with the unbuttoned shirts and the pinky rings, I liked it. I was drawn in and wanted to keep reading. Cassie was a likeable character and I found myself invested in her but I just felt like ...more
Carol Wiilliams
Jun 05, 2015 Carol Wiilliams rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is a great summer beach read. It lets you enjoy the fun of having a summer share house in the Hamptons and all the fun that goes with it. The characters are well described and easy to get to know. Also, I was lucky enough to actually meet the authors who actually worked at the bar in the city that Cassie, the main character worked in. It is called O'Neils and is on Mulberry Street in lower Manhattan. It also happens to be the same bar that was used as Steve and Aiden's bar, ...more
Lee
May 29, 2015 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beach read sort of tale of the rich and famous in the Hamptons in summertime and the Columbia grad looking to make some big money as a bartender there. She finds a handsome trust fund baby and finishes her long awaited screenplay but just when it looks like her future may be all mapped out...

The thing that most bothered me about this one was that she was there to save money and pay some bills yet got caught up in what should have been an obvious trap of spending it all trying to keep up with t
Emmy
Apr 24, 2012 Emmy rated it liked it
I would judge this book as Cocktails meets Coyote Ugly. I enjoyed it because its your classic: girl grows up in upstate NY, Albany and is introduced to high society of New York, the Hamptons. She's a graduate of Columbia who wants to be a screenplay writer, but needs a job like NOW. Reading through her experience as a bartender, I felt as drunk as she got in the book. Sipping cocktails, throwing back shots as she concocts them for customers. She succeeds in friendships, but learns that the high ...more
Martha
Jul 02, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ex-bar babes
Shelves: chick-lit
Oh I so could have written this book in the years after graduating from college, during law school, when I moved to LA and NC. I have always fallen back on my bartending experience when I needed extra cash or a interim job. The lifestyle is exact how the authors describe it. You get addicted to the money and having cash on hand. You forget about bank accounts and resort to brandy glasses to hold your loot. You are sore in the morning - like you've run a marathon. Your whole body is exhausted and ...more
Jenny
Feb 13, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in what it's like to be a bartender at a high-profile club
This was a really cute book - better than I thought it would be. I put it in my "Coming of Age" category because it really is a story about a girl who matures significantly throughout the course of the book. The characters are remarkably well drawn for a chick-lit-type book, and the scene of the Hamptons is fascinating fodder for an inside look at bartending. I also enjoyed learning what it's really like to be behind the bar - since reading this book, I've been more patient with bartenders becau ...more
Diana
Aug 21, 2008 Diana rated it liked it
I decided I would read the least serious books possible this summer, and I have stuck to that. This book is your typical girl from the middle class trying to make it amidst the rich and powerful-then realizes who she is. It was interesting to learn more about the world of bartending and the Hamptons, but I got a little sick of the two authors making the main character's incessantly ask "why are the rich like this?" that was pretending to be so deep and introspective. And if you did not see the s ...more
Kacie
Mar 07, 2014 Kacie rated it it was amazing
This book was much better than I anticipated. I had expected to be bored not long into the book and I found myself not able to put it down. The book isn't breaking any ground but it's got more substance than your average chick lit. It was an interesting look into the bar industry- the ease of being addicted to constant cash flow and the idea of always wanting and needing more and more and knowing it's available. Also was an interesting look into the old money in NYC. Woudl recommend to anyone bu ...more
Megan Nigh
Sep 22, 2014 Megan Nigh rated it really liked it
I was really impressed with this book. It is a well-written beach read about a girl who graduates college with no job prospects and takes a job bartending in the Hamptons for the summer. She struggles to fit into the money-soaked world her trust-fund new boyfriend lives in.

This is a little different from other chick-lit beach reads. The plot focuses more on her bartending job as the main story line. Would definitely read this book again.
stephanie
May 15, 2007 stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
one of the better beach blonde books out there. tells the story of a columbia graudate who gets into bartending to make money while writing her screen-play, and ends up in the hottest bar in the hamptons with no clue what to do. perhaps "better" to me because i know this story - in that it happens all the time - but. i'm a sucker for chick lit about new york.
Aug 19, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Another one of these books written by a girl with a job that is fun to expose for all its skeletons behind the glamour (ie. The Nanny Diaries, The Devil Wears Prada). This one is about a bartender in NYC and The Hamptons. It's totally predictable. But a fun beach read and I liked "learning" about the world of bartending. A small glimpse into a culture I would rather observe from afar!
Summer
Aug 15, 2007 Summer rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sure Reading is always fun
This book focuses on a graduate from a prestigous college in New York who takes a job as a bartender. One thing leads to another and she finds herself bartending at one of the hottest bars in the Hamptons. Lots of drama with the typical boy breaks girl's heart and she is better for it in the long run.. that type of a story.
Shelly Sievert
Oct 07, 2009 Shelly Sievert rated it it was ok
This was a fun, non-thought provoking book. I read it while on vacation by the lake. It was a perfect sun-bathing book.

I was a bartender on and off for 7 years while I put myself through college. Because a good portion of the book involved bartending and partying, I could totally relate. It made me happy (again) that I finished college and am out of that scene.

It was a fun read.
Amy
Mar 08, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
Welcome to the Hamptons- welcome to the world of crazy! Cassie just graduated from college and starts tending bar to support her as she writes her screenplay. Add a hot club, a summer in the Hamptons, and a rich boyfriend and you've got The Perfect Manhattan! Medium book- pretty light. Not going to change the world.
Erica
Nov 15, 2011 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-do-it
An easy read when you are looking for something fun and non-thought provoking. It was entertaining and light, but not a remarkable or rememberable story. It's pretty much exactly what you think it will be.
Jamie B
May 20, 2008 Jamie B rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I really liked this book becuz its about a girl who is an aspiring screenwriter---which I can completely relate to. Not to mention a struggling writer living in NYC. The characters are colorful and interesting and love story that ensues gets really juicy. A great read!
Andrea Mueller
Nov 03, 2015 Andrea Mueller rated it really liked it
I read this while on the beach in the Hamptons, which is the backdrop to the majority of the story (only partially takes place in Manhattan). Perfect beach read & has a lot of local references- Bridgehampton polo club, Lily Pond drive, Citatella, Golden Pear, etc.
Julia
Jul 01, 2010 Julia rated it did not like it
Can you give something zero stars? That's what this book deserved. Not well written, not a new idea, and not a compelling story or character. Whoever picked this for the "fun beach read" shelf at my library must be out of her mind! Not fun, not good. Don't read.
michelle
Aug 01, 2007 michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: onmybookshelf
This is one of my favorites. It's definitely a light read, chick-flick-y. The story follows a girl who just graduated, and decided to try bartending while pursuing her dream of writing screenplays. Definitely a cute read. I whipped right through this one.
Nikki
Nov 08, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
I was looking for books with the main character that is around my age instead of in high school (the usual that I read). I enjoyed it for something different, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It was pretty clever and gave pretty good incite about bartending!
Charlotte
Oct 09, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Allison & Emily
Recommended to Charlotte by: Blake
A cute, fun and simple read, especially for the summer months. I have a feeling living in Manhattan made me enjoy this book quite a bit more, and I'm sure sunning in the Hamptons makes it even better. :)
Stephanie
Apr 08, 2007 Stephanie rated it liked it
totally trashy but a quick and fun read. thought the plot was a LITTLE bit too predictable but I guess i was asking for it. her descriptions of the little Paris Hilton wanna-be's were pretty humourous and the plot moved along quickly.
  • Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls
  • Wolves in Chic Clothing
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • The Sewing Circle: Hollywood's Greatest Secret: Female Stars Who Loved Other Women
  • Bought
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Fast Girls: Teenage Tribes And The Myth Of The Slut
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • Why I Love Singlehood
  • Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #1)
  • Spirals of Song and Other Poems
Leanne Shear grew up in Buffalo, NY and attended the University of Pennsylvania, where she worked for two years while going to school as a staff aide to then-mayor (and now PA governor) Ed Rendell. She currently resides in New York City, where she is a writer, Master's degree candidate (studying Politics and Culture), and Newington-Cropsey Fellow at NYU's Gallatin School.

The Perfect Manhattan—a no
More about Leanne Shear...