Aaliyah: More Than a Woman

Aaliyah: More Than a Woman

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Aaliyah Dana Haughton was that music business rarity: a teen idol who transformed herself into a critically acclaimed hip-hop soul artist, a singer who successfully made the transition to actress, and a beautiful woman who never let the trappings of celebrity go to her head. Following her impressive debut at age 14 with the album Age Ain't Nothin' but a Number, Aaliyah rai...more
Published November 27th 2001 by MTV Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Aaliyah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aaliyah

Ryan Berry
May 05, 2011 Ryan Berry is currently reading it
I'm Aaliyah fan she was a legend to me because she had numerous hits and i want to know how did she ever get to stardom where she is called "The Princess of Hip Hop" and died so tragically like rappers Notorious B.I.G, Tupac "2Pac aka Makaveli" Shakur, or TLC member Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes.
Shanikia8F R.I.PUNCLE CURT/ KNOW AS MII CUZ
Mar 24, 2008 Shanikia8F R.I.PUNCLE CURT/ KNOW AS MII CUZ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To people who are Aaliyah Fans
Recommended to Shanikia8F R.I.PUNCLE CURT/ KNOW AS MII CUZ by: No One just look up to Aaliyah
Shelves: already-read
I like this book about Aaliyah because it all about her and who she really is. This book talks about her everyday life as she success her career as an singer.
Lynecia
This could have been so much better. It went off on random historical tangents way too much. I picked this up to read about Aaliyah not music history...
Mrs. California
This book is an inspiring biography. In this book there is no protagonist,and no antagonist either. There aren't also no conflicts. What I have learned in this book is how much love she put into her music. The most sadest part is when it showed the picture of her plane when it crashed. It made me feel so sad knowing that she died.
On the book it said that in life she was a mystery, but in death she was a legend. My favorite songs that she made was 'More Than A Woman' and "Rock The Boat." In this...more
Melica Niccole
In reading the beginning of the book, I really could not get into the book. The author discussed a lot of things, which I felt strayed away from the subject matter. I wanted him to focus more on Aaliyah, so I would have a chance in understanding her better.

After reading the first 30 pages, this is when the transition started. I noticed that Aaliyah's story was being told; however there were still portions in the book that did not seem like they should have been a part of the book. An example of...more
Shana White
This book is a very good book for someone who didn't know that much about her because it gives a good background on her life and what happend to her and It can have you believeing," she died so young". She is the type of singer that changed some peoples life and she influenced them to live their dreams. As her being a African American singer/artist mainly is a big surprising that she made alot of accomplishments and how far she got to just have her life end very short. This book surprised me an...more
Sherreka Burton
I don't know what this author was doing, but it seemed like he was writing a music historical, and a biased one I might add, other than Aaliyah's biography. Is it really necessary to tell me the history of Motown when that wasn't even Aaliyah's label? I honestly don't even think autobiography have me a glimpse of who the real Aaliyah was anyway, most of the book was so boggled down with facts and other people's generic observations (observations without real substance--I love Aaliyah as much as...more
Autumn Jeanine
When I first read "Aaliyah more than a woman" I was amazed of all the accomplishments she endured during her success.Then I was blue because after she made her last video "Rock the Boat" she passed away in a airplane crash in the year of 2001.I would rate this book as a five because it tells how you could accomplish and succeed up the ladder to success. Then thereafter to find out in just a second everything is gone in a blink of an eye.
Tiara Wilson
Aaliyah was a great book. It was mainly about when she died. The author wrote about the times that he had a interview with her before she had died. She had died in a airplane tha had missed the airport in the Bahamas
Faijaun Trowers-davis
THIS BOOK WAS GOOD ITWAS GOOD BECAUSE IT WAS ABOUT SOMEONES LIFE BEFORE AND AFTER DEATH. SO NOT ONLY DID I KNOW ABOUT WHAT SHE DID OR WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT OF HER WHEN SHE WAS ALIVE BUT ALSO WHEN SHE EXPIRED
Erika Kaid
This book will inspire young women to believe in their dreams and never give up. She had a wonderful life, despite all of the rumors about her.
Deniesha
Aaliyah was a very smart and talented young lady that everyone will miss.This book showed the real Aaliyah and the wonderful young women she was.
Taylor Clark
this book is an amazing story on the great baby girl Aaliyah on her life and legacy and see her life threw her eyes.
Noelle
Jul 25, 2009 Noelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NON-AALIYAH FANS
Even though I love Aaliyah this book pasted her name on the front and had NOTHING to do with her.
Lakenzwa Lyttle
Good book, but found out things I never took my time to find out about Aaliyah.
Eric
i fucking love this book
Myra
It's a sad story, and unfortunately, a badly written story as well. The author went on about intricacies of music careers; his experiences with many other celebrities (aka name dropping); so much irrelevant things that had nothing to do with the amazing Aaliyah. Shame.
Dee
This book could have been good, but the author goes into far much detail about other artists in the industry that were directly or indirectly involved with Aaliyah. There should have been more information included that was not already previously known.
Morgan
I love this book because it give you an insight on RnB's princess its sad that her life was cut short at the age of 22 because her career was well on the fast track to hit the stratosphere with all that she was set to do.

Her legacy has left a lasting impact on what her life was and what it could've been she was a genuine person who gave her all into everything she did I was eleven years old when she passed it was just three days shy of my twelveth birthday Aaliyah you are still greatly missed.
Lesley Nowlin
Feb 01, 2013 Lesley Nowlin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Music Lovers
I read this many years ago. As I read, Remembering Whitney, this book came to mind. It was a great book that looked at Aaliyah's life and career in a postive note. This book seem real factual, not like the author was trying to make the reader like or dislike Aaliyah, Farley wrote the facts.
Nakeya smith
i thought this book was really good because it really explained what happen to aliyah and where it happen.It also taught how much people were affected by her death and how much she influenced people.It also gave me information on her background .
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Nahla
Nahla marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Delatoria Edler-vereen
Delatoria Edler-vereen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Manel May
Manel May marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Neka Roberts
Neka Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kingston by Starlight Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley Game World My Favorite War Introducing Halle Berry