Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)

Manner of Death (Alan Gregory #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,217 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The past resurfaces in ways that are as intimate as they are frightening when Dr. Alan Gregory and Dr. Sawyer Sackett-a woman he once loved-are plunged into the private nightmare of a killer who knows about the terrifying power of mind games.
Published January 1st 2000 by Signet (first published January 1st 1999)

E Wilson
I seem to keep getting books that are part of a series and I never start with number one. However, it doesn't seem to really matter with this book. The scenario is interesting. Someone is slowly and patiently killing all the medical staff that were working in one ward of a psychiatric hospital many years ago. Because the
murders are staged as accidents, and because they take place over long distances and long periods of time, no one gets suspicious until
the parents of the last victim reads his j...more
VaultOfBooks
By Stephen White. Grade: B
The deaths appeared to be bizarre, unrelated accidents – until Dr Alan Gregory discovered the chilling link. Years before, each of the victims was involved in the psychology and psychiatry training program at the University of Colorado. And each was slain in an ingeniously planned, brilliantly executed murder. Now only two alumni survive: Dr Gregory and Dr Sawyer Sackett, a woman he once loved. As the past resurfaces in ways that are as intimate as they are frightening,...more
Ed
I'm reading this series featuring psychologist, Alan Gregory, out of order. It's actually less bothersome to do so than with some of the other series I've followed. Each story can stand on its own and this book is no exception.

The premise is interesting in that there appears to be someone who is carefully murdering many of Alan Gregory's colleagues from his internship days. Each murder appears to be an accident because of the time gaps between killings and the different ways each victim meets th...more
Barbara ★
I didn't enjoy this as much as other Stephen White novels revolving around Dr. Alan Gregory. He always came across as a strong person but in this one he's needy and impulsive which IMHO is so at odds with how he has been portrayed. Maybe it's just me but I found it disturbing that even now, long married to Lauren Crowder, he still has convoluted thoughts, feelings and stupid ideas of a previous girlfriend - who dumped him with no explanation.

In another vein, I did like the psychological mystery....more
Jodi
Solid Alan Gregory mystery. People who worked with Alan during his internship since to be dying at a faster than coincidental rate and 2 former FBI agents see a pattern. One of the last remaining members of the team is Alan's former lover, Sawyer Faire. He hasn't seen her since she abruptly left her residency all those years ago. While the mystery was solid, the emotions lacked. Alan is very clinical with himself and that puts distance between him and everyone else. Nevertheless, I'll be reading...more
Angie crosby
I enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept moving, though there were a few dry bit, about 2/3 in. I didn't think the D.B. Cooper thing needed to be in there. It just detracted from the book.
Janice
Another great read in the Alan Gregory series; in this one a killer is after Alan and a former lover--they join forces to discover the identity of the killer, and to try to survive.
Laurel
I'd forgotten about this series and am glad to get back into it. This one kept me turning pages well past my bedtime.
Nolan
Apr 27, 2009 Nolan added it
I’ve never read anything from this author before, and of course, this is the seventh book in a series about psychologist and amateur sleuth Alan Gregory. Trust me to start in book seven. I’m sorry about that. Even if you don’t read this particular book first, I hope if you enjoy a good suspense story that you’ll give Stephen White a try.

Alan Gregory is spending a crisp, cool fall Saturday afternoon in Colorado at the funeral of a fellow psychologist with whom he attended school years earlier. T...more
Melissa
Not the best of all the Dr. Gregory books but, I liked reading another in the series. I do kind of wish that I had made some efforts to read these in order. However, it's kind of like reading the back story. I already know what the characters are doing now but reading these older books tell me why and how they got there. Kind of a fun way to read.

I didn't like the moral wrestles in this book. Dr. Gregory is faced with an ex-lover and is wrestling with feelings he had for her than were never reso...more
Lora
I'm pretty sure I hadn't read this, but it seemed somewhat familiar till the very end. Seems several people who worked on the same unit Alan had his internship on--a mental ward in the county hospital--have died over the past 18 years or so. Almost all were accidents, officially at least, but the pattern is too great to dismiss. All the deaths were different: flying, hiking, horribly malfunctioning tanning bed, etc. Now someone's after Alan and his former lover, who just happens to be the only o...more
Stacy
After the funeral of a former colleague, a man is approached by former FBI agents that want to warn him that his life might be in danger. Their reasoning? In the past 2 decades his old team has seen a few deaths. One was a murder (drive-by, bad part of time, gang-suggestive shooting) and the rest were the type of accidents that just happen. These deaths have occurred over YEARS and are not suspicious...but these former agents are convinced that a serial killer is targeting this random group of i...more
Skyqueen
This is my favorite one so far if for no other reason that he explores and handles his past love relationship with fellow resident Doctor Sawyer. Always lots of psychological levels...believable psychological levels that follow naturally.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Two FBI types approach psychologist Alan Gregory to tell him that students, supervisors and staff where he served his clinical psychology residency were being murdered and he may be next.

I usually look forward to reading the Alan Gregory series but found Manner of Death a waste of my time. Manner of death was a long arduous read. It might have been a better read had it been edited to under three hundred pages. This could have been easily done as much of the material was repeated. Michael Kramer...more
Gina
A really good book by a local Colorado author - Stephen White. A doctor goes to a funeral of a former colleague only to be told that people with whom he shared one short residency rotation twenty years ago are dying suspiciously.

This was a well written mystery, so well written that for several days after finishing the book, I double checked the locks on my doors and windows.

Definitely recommend and I will be going back to check out his other books in the Alan Gregory series.
Acrylate
Now I get why many people feel disappointed with this books. The author have good idea but failed to make it interesting. If only, the author involved many more people like FBI, NSA, CIA, Mossad, KGB, or other factions and make some conspiracy or plot, it would be much better. This books failed to make me interest to read the rest of the story. So, I just skip it to the end. And it disappointed me more. Anyway, it was interesting while it lasts.
Lisa
I do enjoy these books. This time we are transported back to an earlier time. Doctors who all worked together are dying, under mysterious circumstances.
This allows Allan to bring in an early love, who broke his heart by leaving suddenly and without explanation. But it still has all of the usual characters - Lauren is giving him plenty of latitude, and Sam is brought in to help solve the mysteries.
Another unexpected book from Stephen White.
KarenC
Dec 01, 2010 KarenC rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: reading group; series
Reads fine as a standalone, even though it is #7 in a series. There's enough information about Alan Gregory and his wife to introduce the characters and get into the story. I liked the D B Cooper storyline, although it didn't seem related to the main thread. The main story keeps up the suspense and tricked me near the end. I hadn't realized the distinction between "manner" and "cause" of death that this book included as a part of the plot.
Jenn
I like the Alan Gregory novels because Alan is not: a cop, cynical beyond all liking, a smoker, a masochist, an emotional wreck, or a jerk. Although sometimes he is pretty stupid and does not take advice well. But otherwise the crime-solving psychiatrist is efficient at solving the mysteries that make their way into his office. A different kind of mystery.
Sheila
In this the 7th in the Dr. Alan Gregory series, Alan is approached by 2 exFBI agents after the funeral of a colleague. He finds out that several of the people he trained with have died in a series of bizarre accidents spaced over several years. My favorite was the defective tanning bed that wouldn't open up or shut off. He is told that he may be the next target.
Leah Voorhies
This mystery series stars a psychologist...no wonder I love them. Alan Gregory, the main character, is a really good psychologist--I enjoy the ethical dilemmas he gets himself into while working with clients and trying to solve crimes. Stephen White is a good writer, and though these are definitely not cozies, they are not bleak and ugly like Anne Perry.
Sagar Sahni
Never-ever read this novel.
Susan
Any book in White's series with Boulder psychologist, Alan Gregory, is a guaranteed good read. This is no different. All of the members of the team Gregory served his internship with years ago are dying and dying mysteriously. The only two left are Alan and his ex-girlfriend.
Julia
This was the first of his book I read and really enjoyed it. Started reading them because they were set in Boulder CO. For me, his writing style changed in later books and got much too intense for my taste. Enjoyed this and the earlier book much more.
Jmcrossfl
Another great read by Stephen White!
Lize
Jan 27, 2011 Lize rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2003
Another Alan Gregory book--this time a killer is stalking the entire clinical staff where Alan was a psych intern years ago. He and his former lover are the only ones left alive. More great Colorado references and some innovative deaths.
Steve
Alan Gregory -- middle period. I've just finished reading other of this series, some with timeframe before & some after. This is actually one of my favorites -- good tense moments. Fascinating character from Alan's past. Good mystery.
Freyja Vanadis
Good book, believable ending, but the whole D.B. Cooper thing was silly. I mean, really. White implies that one of his characters is secretly D.B. Cooper. That was just ridiculous. But otherwise, this was enjoyable.
Lee
Read quite a while ago, before I knew this was in the middle of a long series. Takes place in Boulder, CO, so not far from where I live. That makes it more fun. What I remember it was a good whodunit.
Chris Dttman
This is one of my comfort authors. The main character is a psychologist as is the writer. there are 6 or 7 books by this author with the same characters. It makes it easy to get into the book.
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • The Burning Man
  • Reckless Endangerment
  • Hunting Badger (Navajo Mysteries, #14)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • Garden of Evil (Britt Montero, #6)
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #11)
  • Move to Strike
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y...more
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)