Start by marking “Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)” as Want to Read:
Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)

Manner of Death (Alan Gregory #7)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,700 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
The past resurfaces in ways that are as intimate as they are frightening when Dr. Alan Gregory and Dr. Sawyer Sackett-a woman he once loved-are plunged into the private nightmare of a killer who knows about the terrifying power of mind games.

Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Manner of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manner of Death

E Wilson
Feb 06, 2011 E Wilson rated it it was ok
I seem to keep getting books that are part of a series and I never start with number one. However, it doesn't seem to really matter with this book. The scenario is interesting. Someone is slowly and patiently killing all the medical staff that were working in one ward of a psychiatric hospital many years ago. Because the
murders are staged as accidents, and because they take place over long distances and long periods of time, no one gets suspicious until
the parents of the last victim reads his j
VaultOfBooks
Sep 07, 2012 VaultOfBooks rated it it was ok
By Stephen White. Grade: B
The deaths appeared to be bizarre, unrelated accidents – until Dr Alan Gregory discovered the chilling link. Years before, each of the victims was involved in the psychology and psychiatry training program at the University of Colorado. And each was slain in an ingeniously planned, brilliantly executed murder. Now only two alumni survive: Dr Gregory and Dr Sawyer Sackett, a woman he once loved. As the past resurfaces in ways that are as intimate as they are frightening,
Ed
Mar 09, 2010 Ed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction Fans
I'm reading this series featuring psychologist, Alan Gregory, out of order. It's actually less bothersome to do so than with some of the other series I've followed. Each story can stand on its own and this book is no exception.

Dean C. Moore
Jan 01, 2015 Dean C. Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to set one of my upcoming stories in Boulder, Colorado, so I was eager to lap up books by authors set in this region that did a good job with making the environment and surroundings a prominent character in the story. And, of course, if I could get a good tale out of the mix, all the better. Beats reading dry atlases, farm and weather reports, and filtering through local news any day, to say nothing of toying with Google Maps. On the above scores, Manner of Death didn’t disappoint. I di ...more
Barbara ★
I didn't enjoy this as much as other Stephen White novels revolving around Dr. Alan Gregory. He always came across as a strong person but in this one he's needy and impulsive which IMHO is so at odds with how he has been portrayed. Maybe it's just me but I found it disturbing that even now, long married to Lauren Crowder, he still has convoluted thoughts, feelings and stupid ideas of a previous girlfriend - who dumped him with no explanation.

In another vein, I did like the psychological mystery.
Stacy
Sep 06, 2011 Stacy rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
After the funeral of a former colleague, a man is approached by former FBI agents that want to warn him that his life might be in danger. Their reasoning? In the past 2 decades his old team has seen a few deaths. One was a murder (drive-by, bad part of time, gang-suggestive shooting) and the rest were the type of accidents that just happen. These deaths have occurred over YEARS and are not suspicious...but these former agents are convinced that a serial killer is targeting this random group of i ...more
Jodi
Jan 08, 2009 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: white-stephen
Solid Alan Gregory mystery. People who worked with Alan during his internship since to be dying at a faster than coincidental rate and 2 former FBI agents see a pattern. One of the last remaining members of the team is Alan's former lover, Sawyer Faire. He hasn't seen her since she abruptly left her residency all those years ago. While the mystery was solid, the emotions lacked. Alan is very clinical with himself and that puts distance between him and everyone else. Nevertheless, I'll be reading ...more
Janice
Aug 14, 2008 Janice rated it liked it
Another great read in the Alan Gregory series; in this one a killer is after Alan and a former lover--they join forces to discover the identity of the killer, and to try to survive.
Angie crosby
Jul 28, 2008 Angie crosby rated it really liked it
Shelves: alex, thriller
I enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept moving, though there were a few dry bit, about 2/3 in. I didn't think the D.B. Cooper thing needed to be in there. It just detracted from the book.
Laurel
Aug 18, 2009 Laurel rated it liked it
I'd forgotten about this series and am glad to get back into it. This one kept me turning pages well past my bedtime.
Nolan
Mar 25, 2009 Nolan added it
I’ve never read anything from this author before, and of course, this is the seventh book in a series about psychologist and amateur sleuth Alan Gregory. Trust me to start in book seven. I’m sorry about that. Even if you don’t read this particular book first, I hope if you enjoy a good suspense story that you’ll give Stephen White a try.

Alan Gregory is spending a crisp, cool fall Saturday afternoon in Colorado at the funeral of a fellow psychologist with whom he attended school years earlier. T
Chris
Jun 25, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

The premise is interesting in that there appears to be someone who is carefully murdering many of Alan Gregory's colleagues from his internship days. Each murder appears to be an accident because of the time gaps between killings and the different ways each victim meets their fate.

Finally, the parents of the last
Melissa
Nov 19, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not the best of all the Dr. Gregory books but, I liked reading another in the series. I do kind of wish that I had made some efforts to read these in order. However, it's kind of like reading the back story. I already know what the characters are doing now but reading these older books tell me why and how they got there. Kind of a fun way to read.

I didn't like the moral wrestles in this book. Dr. Gregory is faced with an ex-lover and is wrestling with feelings he had for her than were never reso
Simone Sinna
Jul 29, 2014 Simone Sinna rated it it was amazing
Having technically finished this series (ie read the last one) once, it’s increasingly traumatic that I am feeling the same again. I had had to order a pile of all I couldn’t download as books (they aren’t in shops here in Aus) from Amazon and now the pile is looking sadly low. Worse that I know the ending…ahhhh.
Anyway this was a really good one, hence the angst about them finishing up! Still pre- becoming a father, but married to Lauren (she really should have left him…in this she only just sur
Steve Wratten
Sep 12, 2015 Steve Wratten rated it really liked it
This is an interesting series for me because we live near Boulder and I'm familiar with many of the landmarks that White seems to feel compelled to constantly namedrop. I guess this insures at least an audience of interested readers from the 100,000 or so people living here! The story itself is typical of the other novels, but involves a past love interest of Alan Gregory, so has a new dimension. As usual, Gregory is preoccupied with not revealing client confidential information. This seems to c ...more
Gerry
Jun 01, 2015 Gerry rated it really liked it
Outstanding writing. plot, characters!! A clinical psychologist attends the funeral of a former colleague, and afterward is approached by a pair of ex-FBI investigators who claim HE’s the likely next victim. This author has six previous titles, all in the library’s collection -- and worth checking out.

8/11/02. This was a re-read (and a most enjoyable one at that) as I work my way chronologically through the whole Alan Gregory series this summer. Gregory, a clinical psychologist, attends the fune
Vannessa Anderson
Two FBI types approach psychologist Alan Gregory to tell him that students, supervisors and staff where he served his clinical psychology residency were being murdered and he may be next.

I usually look forward to reading the Alan Gregory series but found Manner of Death a waste of my time. Manner of death was a long arduous read. It might have been a better read had it been edited to under three hundred pages. This could have been easily done as much of the material was repeated. Michael Kramer
Cat.
Jan 01, 2014 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I'm pretty sure I hadn't read this, but it seemed somewhat familiar till the very end. Seems several people who worked on the same unit Alan had his internship on--a mental ward in the county hospital--have died over the past 18 years or so. Almost all were accidents, officially at least, but the pattern is too great to dismiss. All the deaths were different: flying, hiking, horribly malfunctioning tanning bed, etc. Now someone's after Alan and his former lover, who just happens to be the only o ...more
5ngela
May 19, 2013 5ngela rated it liked it
Now I get why many people feel disappointed with this books. The author have good idea but failed to make it interesting. If only, the author involved many more people like FBI, NSA, CIA, Mossad, KGB, or other factions and make some conspiracy or plot, it would be much better. This books failed to make me interest to read the rest of the story. So, I just skip it to the end. And it disappointed me more. Anyway, it was interesting while it lasts.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I do enjoy these books. This time we are transported back to an earlier time. Doctors who all worked together are dying, under mysterious circumstances.
This allows Allan to bring in an early love, who broke his heart by leaving suddenly and without explanation. But it still has all of the usual characters - Lauren is giving him plenty of latitude, and Sam is brought in to help solve the mysteries.
Another unexpected book from Stephen White.
Gina
Dec 06, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it
A really good book by a local Colorado author - Stephen White. A doctor goes to a funeral of a former colleague only to be told that people with whom he shared one short residency rotation twenty years ago are dying suspiciously.

This was a well written mystery, so well written that for several days after finishing the book, I double checked the locks on my doors and windows.

Definitely recommend and I will be going back to check out his other books in the Alan Gregory series.
KarenC
Dec 01, 2010 KarenC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: reading group; series
Reads fine as a standalone, even though it is #7 in a series. There's enough information about Alan Gregory and his wife to introduce the characters and get into the story. I liked the D B Cooper storyline, although it didn't seem related to the main thread. The main story keeps up the suspense and tricked me near the end. I hadn't realized the distinction between "manner" and "cause" of death that this book included as a part of the plot.
Chuck
Jan 24, 2016 Chuck rated it really liked it
Everytime I pick up an Alan Gregory book written by Stephen White I feel like I have spent time with old friends. This is the 7th book in the series and the way that the characters have developed it feels like they are old friends. This books is a very good mystery about a killer targeting a group of interns and residents that worked at the Denver Hospital in 1982. This book deals with past relationships and the terror of waiting for the attempt to be on Alans life. I really enjoyed this book.
Ed
Nov 28, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
#7 in the Alan Gregory series.

Alan Gregory, Boulder CO psychologist, is approached by two ex-FBI agents who tell Alan that his associates from his internship 15 years ago are being killed off. He and his ex-lover, Sawyer Sackett, are the lone survivors. Alan uncomfortably reunites with Sawyer to try to figure who in their past whould have the desire and means to kill them.

Leah Voorhies
Jun 05, 2008 Leah Voorhies rated it really liked it
This mystery series stars a psychologist...no wonder I love them. Alan Gregory, the main character, is a really good psychologist--I enjoy the ethical dilemmas he gets himself into while working with clients and trying to solve crimes. Stephen White is a good writer, and though these are definitely not cozies, they are not bleak and ugly like Anne Perry.
Sheila
May 26, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this the 7th in the Dr. Alan Gregory series, Alan is approached by 2 exFBI agents after the funeral of a colleague. He finds out that several of the people he trained with have died in a series of bizarre accidents spaced over several years. My favorite was the defective tanning bed that wouldn't open up or shut off. He is told that he may be the next target.
Jenn
Aug 28, 2009 Jenn rated it really liked it
I like the Alan Gregory novels because Alan is not: a cop, cynical beyond all liking, a smoker, a masochist, an emotional wreck, or a jerk. Although sometimes he is pretty stupid and does not take advice well. But otherwise the crime-solving psychiatrist is efficient at solving the mysteries that make their way into his office. A different kind of mystery.
Skyqueen
Mar 04, 2014 Skyqueen rated it really liked it
This is my favorite one so far if for no other reason that he explores and handles his past love relationship with fellow resident Doctor Sawyer. Always lots of psychological levels...believable psychological levels that follow naturally.
Lee
Jan 01, 2010 Lee rated it liked it
Read quite a while ago, before I knew this was in the middle of a long series. Takes place in Boulder, CO, so not far from where I live. That makes it more fun. What I remember it was a good whodunit.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Any book in White's series with Boulder psychologist, Alan Gregory, is a guaranteed good read. This is no different. All of the members of the team Gregory served his internship with years ago are dying and dying mysteriously. The only two left are Alan and his ex-girlfriend.
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Garden of Evil (Britt Montero, #6)
  • California Angel
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Under the Lake
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...

Alan Gregory (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
  • Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)