Start by marking “The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers” as Want to Read:
The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers

The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers (The Exterminators #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  563 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A smart and scary tale of roaches, rats, raccoons and the men who kill them,The Exterminators focuses on a dysfunctional group of bug killers prowling the barrios and bungalows of Los Angeles.

Henry James, the newest exterminator, sees the job as a way to cleanse the sins of his dark past, he has a hard time getting his view across to his careerist girlfriend, sociopathic

Published August 2nd 2006 by Vertigo (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Exterminators, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exterminators, Vol. 1

Josh
May 08, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who hate bugs but don't find them so repulsive that they'll hate reading a comic about them.
Shelves: comics
I don't think I ever would've read this if it hadn't been recommended to me. And it was recommended from my favorite source for comic book recommendations: The Comic Book Store Employee.

While I prefer my beloved House of Secrets, Meltdown is right down the street, and those dudes know a thing or 2 about comics as well. And they were consistently putting this book in their "employee picks" section. And when I asked, everyone said "oh, you gotta read it!" And so I did.

And I gotta say, it was pret
Thomas
Jun 11, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Grafisch top umgesetzte Geschichte von Tony Moore, dem "Vater" von "The Walking Dead". Ab und an ein wenig zu derbe Ausdrucksweise, aber das soll wohl zum Flair dieser Geschichte beitragen. Absolute Empfehlung von meiner Seite aus.
J.G. Keely
Sep 08, 2013 J.G. Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror, reviewed
After Tony Moore left 'The Walking Dead', I've been keen to see more of his work. First I tried 'Fear Agent', which was fun, but didn't blow me away (plus the inker kinda made mud of Tony's idiomatic style). Now I've come to 'The Exterminators', and I have to say: this is a pretty good start.

I'm continually impressed by Oliver, who definitely feels like a UK writer. He creates interesting, unusual characters, has a great sense of pacing and tension, uses historical allusions to lend depth to his
Helmut
Mar 06, 2013 Helmut rated it it was amazing
Eklig!

Tony Moore, schon durch "Walking Dead: Days gone bye" einer meiner absoluten Lieblingszeichner, setzt hier nochmal einen drauf. Unterstützt durch die herausragende Kolorierung - alles ist schmierig, fettig, ranzig - wird hier ein Ekelfeuerwerk erster Klasse abgebrannt. Die Story ist relativ planlos (oder werden die ganzen losen Enden im 2. Band wieder zusammengeführt?), aber immer unterhaltsam und man merkt, welchen Spass die Autoren und Zeichner an diesem Kakerlakendrama hatten.

Super Unt
Raymond
Jul 15, 2014 Raymond rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Well, this is a big mess.

The main plot line of this one involves an exterminator, Henry James (who displays no characteristics in common with the eponymous author), fresh out of jail for an undetailed crime. As part of his parole, he's working for his step-father's "Bug-Bee-Gone" business. Nothing really comes of the main plot, and we never learn anything about our "hero." He just goes around and has wacky, gross adventures with wacky, gross co-workers. It's kind of like Buckaroo Banzai, but wit
John
Nov 18, 2014 John rated it really liked it
I had never heard of this series before I picked up a very cheap used copy of this at the bookstore, but it's one I'm going to want to catch up on. The book reminds me a lot of Alex Cox's "Repo Man" but with bugs. You have the central character in a new, bizarre job surrounded by a group of oddballs who spout bizarre philosophical tidbits, and instead of encountering an alien force in a trunk, he has to face mutating cockroaches. This volume is mostly to set up the characters and situations for ...more
James
Nov 19, 2008 James rated it liked it
This is a far cry from my usual comics reading, which tends toward the traditional (Superman, Batman, other super-heroes, Westerns, war comics, etc.). THE EXTERMINATORS: BUG BROTHERS reprints the first five issues of a relatively new series from Vertigo/DC and centers around the largely dysfunctional lives of the men and women who work for a pest control company in Los Angeles. The narrator is Henry, a recently paroled ex-con whose stepfather owns the company. Unless I missed it, I don’t think t ...more
Justinthunderliger
Oct 25, 2007 Justinthunderliger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vertigo fans
I love stories, usually ones done by Vertigo, where they take something seemingly normal, twist it on its head and give it an edge. Fables takes nursery rhymes and fairy tales and darkens them perfectly. The Exterminators takes the world of pest-control that no one outside of Dale Gribble and Rusty Shackleford gives a second thought. Then it twists it and adds corporate and evolutionary conspiracy theories, ancient prophecies, sex, drugs, and the creepiest of creepy crawleys. If this book doesn' ...more
Chinch
Sep 24, 2015 Chinch rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it, comics
A strangely addictive series. I put off reading this comic for ages now. The idea of trying to read a book while looking at drawings of thousands of roaches was truly revolting. However since I recently ran out of interesting books to read and wanted to take on something light, easy and addictive, a comic series seemed to be the answer. And Exterminators had been waiting for a long time. So here I am devouring this series about a bunch of guys who kill bugs. Not any bugs but some that have been ...more
Travis
Oct 05, 2007 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
The Exterminators is another solid Vertigo title. This book takes place in modern day California and fallows the life of the newly paroled Henry and his experiences working at Bug-Bee-Gone. An exterminating job that his new father in law Nils, the workaholic owner, provided for him. Underneath the surface at the core of The Exterminators is a story of humanities struggle with nature. That the deadliest enemy to a nation or civilization isn't always who is trying to blow us up first. That a civil ...more
Matej
Jun 12, 2014 Matej rated it really liked it
Pretty good and interesting paranormal mystery with great art, and excellent coloring. The only downside is that this is the set up book, so there are a lot of question, and not many answers. Also the book does not feel like a completed story arc, but rather like a small part of a bigger story.
Chris
Feb 04, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
I can't explain why I liked this. The plot is absurd. Half of the characters are unlikeable and the rest are ambiguous (including the main character who is barely explained at all). Most of the scenes made me feel a little queasy. But nonetheless I liked it and I think the rest of the series has a lot of promise.
Ron
Jun 21, 2014 Ron rated it it was ok
No new ideas or original approaches in this poorly dialogued and inconsistently illustrated comic. It appeared on a "most underrated" list I found... and I couldn't disagree more. Save yourself the disappointment and snack on a little Naked Lunch instead.
Carolina
Sep 07, 2007 Carolina rated it liked it
Gnarly. I think that's the best word to describe this book. I'm a big fan of Tony Moore, and of bugs, and no doubt the art in The Exterminators is really superb, but it is g-r-o-s-s. I read this on a leisurely day on the beach and was groaning out load and visibly shuddering.

And I must say that while I do like bugs, I do not like roaches, which are the main focus of the book. It was a decent story, although it lost me a little at the end, but the highlight is definitely Tony Moore's talent at d
Baal Of
Mar 03, 2009 Baal Of rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I found this series to be a mix of interesting ideas with muddle-headed thinking and ham-fisted social commentary. The idea of having exterminators as the heros was great, and the gory, messy artwork fit wonderfully with the situations presented. However, the simplistic, cliched use of evil corporations and mad scientists as the pawns of evil forces was obvious and unimaginitave. The writer is clearly coming from the Garth Ennis school of writing, with liberal use of profanity, but the dialog is ...more
Wealhtheow
Mar 24, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Vertigo titles like Preacher
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Brainstorm comics
Henry James is released from prison and goes to work for his step-father, an exterminator. To learn the trade, he follows first AJ, the most disgusting human being and the best rat catcher in the country, and then Stretch, a cowboy-hat-wearing, vengeance-doling Buddhist. What he sees out on the job will haunt readers forever.

Exterminators is the tale of the thin line between controlling a pest problem and being overrun. The concept, and the art that goes with it, is so, so freaky. The only part
Alfie
Oct 12, 2015 Alfie rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, really, really good. Was originally pitched as a TV show and in my dumb opinion should be a TV show.
Corey Timmins
Apr 05, 2016 Corey Timmins rated it liked it
A very different book to what I am used to reading. I still am unsure where the series is going and am very curious where it is going.
Mark Levandoski
Jun 01, 2014 Mark Levandoski rated it liked it
Storyline OK. Art very good.
Donald
Feb 21, 2011 Donald rated it really liked it
Recommended to me by Mitch and as usual, he is on the money. Who knew that the age old battle between man and insect could make for such a rollicking good read? Apparently Simon Oliver, that's who.

Fresh out of prison our protagonist joins up with his stepfather's extermination company and steps straight into a brewing war with a new breed of cockroaches. There are nasty bugs, nastier exterminators, an evil corporation, love interests, did I mention the nasty bugs?

Really dug this one.
Danielle
May 27, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
Good, colourful, blood-and-guts (bug and human) fun! Totally over-the-top and gratuitous with it's carnage, but with a good heart, a sympathetic main character in new bug-hunter Henry, and a smart script that pokes fun at everyone and everything. I really enjoyed this and surprised myself by being able to read it over lunch, though this kind of thing usually sends me screaming for the hills...
Derek
Sep 04, 2008 Derek rated it really liked it
A very good debut from Simon Oliver. I thought that the sex scene was a little gratuitous and I hated the extended fat joke, but that is nothing that I have not already said to him. He said that the scene would make sense in future installments. I need to get them because even thought the story was filled with filthy disgusting looking bugs, I liked the story and most of the characters.
eHawk rivera
Aug 28, 2008 eHawk rivera rated it it was amazing
Recommended to eHawk by: nosepicker
Shelves: comics
for newer comic series from new folks... this is a must read. If you like geekery and bugs, and you're not squeamish,... this is awesome. The insect revolutionary themes kill me, the urban poor issues are actually more social commentary than i expected out of a comic, and even tying in subjects like Cambodia's history... all while still having an eye on horror and the grotesque.
TJ Shelby
Jul 16, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it
In truth, this was like a 3.5 but I rounded up for a few truly grotesque scenes. It had a disturbing Ennis feel to it but accompanied by a story that actually made sense. Vertigo continues their streak of interesting relevant comic series. This intro trade paperback comprising the first story arc sets the stage for what could be a long, disgusting, intriguing series.
Andrew
Mar 12, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Unpleasant people doing unpleasant things and cockroaches who roar like lions. Sometimes grotesque for the sake of being grotesque, but still somehow engaging. I will not be seeking out volume 2, but if I come across it I'll probably read it to see where the story goes next. I guess you could say I am lukewarm on this one.
Kilean
Jun 04, 2008 Kilean rated it liked it
Nice and strange. If you're looking for a graphic novel/comic that's got a slice-of-life feel to it (gritty LA) with a little bit of sci-fi (dudes getting hooked on shooting-up bug juice), this is well worth a read. It's also entirely disgusting. And pleasingly so.
April
Feb 15, 2009 April marked it as didn-t-finish
i made it past the guy who exploded, but stopped at another scene shortly after. i am very visual and it is easy to give myself nightmares. i might try it again on a bright sunny day in the hammock in my backyard.
Aaron
Feb 05, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
This marks the first graphic novel I've chanced upon in the last few years. A guy working at Meltdown recommended this when I mentioned my fond memories of Vertigo... suffice to say I was not let down!
George
Apr 19, 2008 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This creepy graphic novel series about exterminators and mutant cockroaches is very well done (influences include Kafka and William S. Burroughs) but not for the squeamish.
Cindy
Dec 29, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
Great art again, and a creepy story about mutant bugs - I first read the third in the series and now I'm glad to be starting at the beginning - see where the Draxx anxiety begins!
  • Air, Volume 3: Pureland
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • The Nobody
  • Orbiter
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)

The Exterminators (5 books)
  • The Exterminators, Vol. 2: Insurgency