Start by marking “The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994” as Want to Read:
The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994

The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994

4.66 of 5 stars 4.66  ·  rating details  ·  4,926 ratings  ·  129 reviews
A New York Times best-seller!

"Every one of these cartoons is just something that drifted into my head when I was alone with my thoughts. And, for better or worse, I 'jotted' them down. It was only later, when perhaps I received an angry letter from someone, that it struck me: Hey! Someone's been reading my diary!"

Gary Larson, from the preface to The Complete Far Side

Published September 1st 2003 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994

Gary Larson’s Far Side was pure MAGIC...
farsidewaxmanv2...and when it burst on the scene like a talking, cow-shaped comet in 1980, the strip was like nothing the newspaper funnies had ever seen. Penguinv2
While its single panel format and light-hearted depiction of awkward social situations and shared pain bore some resemblance to earlier comics like Ziggy and Larson’s own Nature’s Way, The Far Side was an anthropomorphic animal all its own, and dominated the public’s consciousness for the decade and a half that it wa
I built a lectern/bookshelf just to keep this collection on display. My favorite? Hard to say, but it's tough to beat "Early chemists discuss the nature of dirt."
I've loved The Far Side since my first brush with it. My local paper used to publish a lovely, full color comic book with their Sunday edition. Alas, it's gone now. If there's anything in the Sunday paper of the same quality as The Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes, I would dearly like to know about it.

At any rate, I always loved The Far Side, though I didn't always understand it. Like so many other childhood memories, there's always the question of if it'll hold up when revisited. Not a problem he
One of the benefits of working in a public library was opening those boxes of new books. With the Far Side series, I usually sent a couple copies to a bindery for extended shelf life. Of course I read a copy. This review represents my pleasure for all of Mr Larson's books. Wonderful humor and perspective.
Books Ring Mah Bell
this was one of the best gifts I have ever received. I love Larson's warped, intellegent humor. An enjoyable part of these books are the hate mail and letters he gets from confused and humorless readers. This collection always brings a smile to my face, and the frequent out-loud chuckle.
Aug 06, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scientists, people with a strange sense of humour
This belongs on the shelf with my ‘Complete Calvin and Hobbes’ collection. This set is beautifully designed and presented. Gary Larson's cartoons are brilliantly perverse and funny. Larson is an artist/cartoonist who is never afraid to challenge his readers, and his ‘Far Side’ is a collection of the strange, the bizarre and the downright weird. I particularly like the fact that he sides most often with the animals he portrays more so than the humans (another similarity with Calvin and Hobbes) an ...more
This compendium weighs a ton. No kidding.
A delightfully inspired packaging of "all things FAR SIDE" from the looney talking cows all the way to conspiratorial chipmunks. Wonderfully packaged but very, very, very expensive, this two volume set includes occasional essays (yes, I said essays) from the genius Larson himself covering such items of the nature of "what I was thinking when I drew ___" to "gosh, I'm sure sorry this thing is going to weigh so much." Of course, there's no apology for the p
Jul 30, 2008 Flannery rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Flannery by: My dad
Shelves: favorites, lolz
If I am ever feeling shitty, I know I can laugh my brains out of my ears if I pick up this 2-volume set. Sure, it is pretty heavy and it kind of cuts off my circulation when I leave it on my lap for too long, but that is the only negative about this collection. Gary Larson is a comedic genius and The Far Side is one of the only comics I think is even remotely funny. (how does the Garfield writer keep winning awards? I am baffled.)If you are thinking of purchasing this set, DO IT. You won't regre ...more
The greatest single-panel comic ever, no question about it. There are dozens of head-scratchers in here (and I'm reasonably intelligent), a few duds and hundreds of laugh-out-loud funny comics. My only complaint is that there's just too much. Better to leaf through on a cold winter afternoon than sit down and try to bomb through the whole thing at once.
Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor, science buffs, Far Side fans
In my opinion, this is by far the funniest and most brilliant cartoon collection out there. This 2 book set contains all the Far Side cartoons that Gary Larson created, and there are some real gems in here. (I also have all the earlier Far Side books as well. I've been a huge fan from the beginning.) Exceptionally funny and intelligent.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Jun 23, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those of good humor
Recommended to Noran by: myself-actually i gifted this to my hubby
Shelves: humor
for humor the delights the brain, as well the heart and soul, this set is a must for all the grieved and wore cow bands in mourning, then this twisted comic stopped it's run. i still refer to cat food as fud because of this man's evil genius.
I can't think of one more funny and 'complete' cartoonist. His name would be at the top of my list. Although his earlier artwork seemed juvenile, unrefined, but very insightful and funny, those quirky characters with slits for eyes or an "o" for a mouth became a contemporary classic legend. His 'rudimentary' style worked perfectly with his extraordinary sense of absurdity. Admittedly there were some panels that could seem 'over the top' for many sensitive minds but the man is legend and began a ...more
What's not to like about The Complete Far Side from 1980-1994? Seriously? There is something wrong with you if you have to even ask that question. There simply isn't anything. These volumes were amazing. The full run of Far Side comics in date order is presented in this lovely set. While they are quite heavy and I wouldn't recommend dragging them around with you except maybe from your kitchen table to the living room couch, they are well worth getting and dragging home. I picked them up from my ...more
we all need an honest full laugh sometimes, and i looooove gary larson! a friend introduced me to gary when i was hanging out at his house and found this book there that he said he brought home from canada. gary is ... well, what can i say, he has this really satiric, light, yet deep way (not in you're-gonna-squint-your-eyes-thinking-hard kind of way, but in a i'm-gonna-laugh-my-pants-off kind of way). there's this really funny strip that i remember: a guy is picking up a girl in a bar and the g ...more
Farhan Noor
A massive book and almost entirely impractical to read from. A more approachable three volume edition is available if one actually wants to go through the pages- and is seperated out by 4-6 year chunks.

Still worth owning as a make shift weapon/shield of sorts.
One of the better comics series drawn to date, The Far Side's brand of humor cannot be imitated. It's not dark (early comics notwithstanding) so much as it is slightly twisted. It offers perspectives on science from Neanderthals, pranks from cows, and rather blasé reactions to bizarre, freakish accidents and incidents. It seems to come directly from some deep part of the human psyche that takes joy when things add up wrongly. There's no real way to describe what's going on in this book, but it's ...more
Shane Harcombe
Currently reading through this as it was a gift we gave ourselves for Christmas. It is every bit as good as I expected.

Gary Larson was (is) a once-in-a-generation talent and these cartoons are as funny as I remember them. It is great to have them all collected in one place, with high quality production values and little insights along the way. Along with 'The Pre-History of the Far Side', this is a great resource.

My kids are now being introduced to his sense of humour and loving it!

Satirical witty and warped observations on a single panel. Gary Larson was the master. An innovator who dealt with nature and geekdom and the human condition in a brilliant fashion.
Leslie Harding
Whenever I need to stop taking life so seriously, I can open either volume of this collection anywhere, and laugh out loud. Gary is a master! I'll keep these books forever.
Siraj Shaikh
Mar 07, 2015 Siraj Shaikh marked it as to-read
It might not be too profound, but I got hooked immediately. And apparently I'm not the only one. All in all, this was one of the most entertaining books that I've read.
Tj Thompson
No matter what, this guy makes me laugh. Great set of books with every cartoon he ever published. Back-stories are funny too. Get it.
Every now and then I look at this again, and it make me chuckle. I like his view of the world.
Some of the best things I remember from my childhood is in this book!
The true work of a cartoon humor legend.
Stephanie Sabatini
Hands down my all time favorite cartoon
Realistically, I having delved through all three volumes of this set, but it is a great compilation. Not only does it have a nice, library-bound profile, but it also has detailed information about almost every comic. Sometimes this information is a chuckle from the author, other times it is a complete explanation of how the joke came to be.

It sits up in my room next to my Calvin and Hobbes set. They're both so heavy, that I can't put them on the bookshelves in the library downstairs.
La verdad es que no tengo mucho que decir. De los mejores cartoons que he leído jamás y el único que tengo completo junto a Calvin & Hobbes (que es mi joya de la corona) Humor absurdo en breves viñetas que me han hecho reír mucho y bien. Lo recomiendo a cualquiera, la edición es una gozada con cartas de lectores enojados por estupideces como que se hagan bromas con científicos o cosas por el estilo. Lo recomiendo totalmente, es uno de esos arranques de genialidad muy difíciles de encontrar

Jul 24, 2012 Williwaw rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Williwaw by: wawilliW
What a beautifully-designed, slip-cased set! Lots of extras by Larson, his friends, and his readers. Whenever I can't decide what to read (which is often), I'll turn to these volumes.

This goes well with my Gahan Wilson slip-cased set (although it dwarfs Gahan) and my Don Martin slip-cased set.

What can I say? I love slip-cases, and I love good cartoons! These guys are among the best ever, in my humble opinion.

Some day, maybe I'll buy the Complete Calvin & Hobbes.
like with the calvin and hobbes super-set, i'm kind of cheating b/c i don't really have this particulaer version of the far side, but i've read every single far side thing larson has like ever produced, and i don't feel like putting out a review for each and every collection 'cause i feel the same about them all....they rock. his comics are so twisted sometimes that i often times look back and think how the hell did this ued to get published with crap like the family circle?
Missing stuff 1 30 Aug 08, 2008 09:49AM
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 1: 1980-1982
  • The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
  • FoxTrot, Assembled with Care
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1950-1954
  • Dilbert 2.0 : 20 Years of Dilbert
  • The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

“Welcome to Hell. Here's your accordion.” 119 likes
“If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to hear it, and it hits a mime, does anyone care?” 27 likes