Start by marking “Class Reunion” as Want to Read:

Class Reunion

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  796 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Fictional Novel, Literary Fiction
Published January 1st 1979 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Class Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class Reunion

Lauren
Jun 11, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. my. God. One of the best books I've ever read. This book took me to Radcliffe in the 1950's. All subjects are talked about-nothing is restricted. My favorite thing, is the setting and how real she makes it. Some of these characters are just shallow, awful, and terribly annoying...but it honestly doesn't effect the awesomeness(yea i said it) of this book. Anyone who has missed out on Rona Jaffe- get out and get some. Most of her books are out of print, but available on Amazon for super cheap.
Tina Wright
Aug 03, 2015 Tina Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea how CLASS REUNION would fare if I read it now...if it has stood the test of time, or is hopelessly dated. Rather, my rating is based on the impression it made on me as a young teen. It was one of the first "racy" books I ever read, and also one of the first novels I encountered with gay male characters in the mix. It had a profound influence on me as a reader, and probably as a writer, too...who knows? I was feeling nostalgic about it today, hence the review.
Autumn
Why doesn't anybody write Rona Jaffe books for our generation? "I really liked Tesla, then I bought a lot of baby tshirts, then Sept 11, then all my old friends and enemies reunited on Facebook." Or something. Anyway, I LURVE her formulaic women's fiction in general and this one has both gays and cripples, so 5 STARS.
Beth
Dec 08, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beach trash that I bought at the beach but read in the fall. I made up an alternate title for it: Stereotypes with Secrets. Immensely readable but very lazily written, it left me feeling like I ate too much candy.
Dahlia DeWinters
Oct 07, 2011 Dahlia DeWinters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, yes, old-timey and rather cliche, but I bet it was a groundbreaker for its time. This book offers an inside look at the mores and dating customs of the fifties, when Harvard and Radcliffe were separate and you had to sign out from the dorm to see your boyfriends.

Read it for the relationships between the women and the changes they go through.
Melanie
Aug 03, 2009 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I now have a Rona Jaffe obsession... WHY is this book not more popular? I loved it, despite the fact that most of the characters are so unlikable- I guess that is one of the reasons that the story is so interesting- you really want to know what crazy mistakes and decisions these absurd people make. Still, some characters are endearing... Also, it's fun to read about such prevalent issues (women's rights, homosexuality, sexuality in general, success, careers, marriage, divorce, children, etc.) th ...more
Christine
Nov 15, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to everybody who wants to read a really wonderful novel
Recommended to Christine by: German book magazine
This is IMO Jaffe's best book. It follows the lives of four American college girls who get married, have children and meet from time to time. That does not sound very exciting, but actually it is a fantastic women's novel.
The sequel to this book is "After the Reunion" and it tells how the story continues.
At least 10 stars!
Charlene Lewis- Estornell
I have no idea what rating I would give this book today, but when I was a young girl coming of age, I found this book on my step-mother's bookshelf and snuck it under my bed to devour at night in secret. I LOVED it like crazy. I was so thrilled with the adult subject matter that I had never before been exposed to. Reading the forbidden pages as fast as I could in between being checked on by my parents, coupled with the fact that each page provided shock value, filled me with extreme excitement. ...more
Christine Lowe
Jul 22, 2016 Christine Lowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read

Class Reunion was written in 1979 and is probably seen as old fashioned by todays reader. The basic story is still good with well developed characters. It's the story of four young women going off to Radcliff to get an education and find a husband. It begins at their twentieth reunion and segues back into their lives as they head off to college. The reader must remember that 1959 is a lifetime away from the freedom of life today. In 1959 it was perfectly reasonable to have a dress code f
Mary
Mar 14, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
There are just some friendships and some people you can never forget - even after so many decades. So it was for the Class of 1954 - they went to Radcliffe, and to Harvard in the '50s. It was their golden chance to win everything they ever wanted and to live happily ever after...

There was spirited Annabel; romantic Chris; Emily, the perfectionist and the golden girl, Daphne. These four women's friendships - and the relationships that they have with the men who touch their lives - are intertwined
Elizabeth
May 06, 2009 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this book for a Bryn Mawr alumni bookclub. I suppose it was chosen because it is the story of four Radcliffe graduates who return for their reunion. I thought it could be a fun read. It was, however, so dated (it was written in the early 80s) that it was nearly impossible to enjoy and I gave up pretty quickly. If this is what passed from a fun read in the early 80s, I think novels have improved!
Meredith
Jun 23, 2014 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK...this is *total* chick lit, but very well done...kind of like "The Women's Room, Lite." But I was transported back to college days and life thereafter...quite interesting parallels to my own life during those times...although there was a 10-year offset, my life in the '60s and '70s wasn't so different from the lives of women in the '50s and '60s, as portrayed by the author. A good read.
Vionna
May 25, 2010 Vionna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in the 80s and decided to look at it again. It was very interesting to revisit the 50s and 60s and the lives of college students, what was expected of them by their parents and what they wanted to accomplish - mainly a good marriage for the girls and great careers for the boys. Their dreams did not always turn out as expected and their lives took very different turns.
Kirsten
I wanted a trashy book, and this fit the bill perfectly. The "class reunion" thing is really just a frame for the main action, so the title is a bit of a misnomer. The section set in the 1950s (when they are all at Radcliffe and Harvard) is the most fun - comparing the rules and expectations to modern times. Occasionally the foreshadowing was a bit obvious. The ending kind of petered out.
Bookish Jen
Jan 20, 2014 Bookish Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a fun, quick, juicy read you can’t go wrong reading anything by Rona Jaffe. Ms. Jaffe is her generation’s Carrie Bradshaw. She chronicled the love lives of women coming of age in the prim and prudish 1950s where gay men were still on the down low, straight men were all cads and women were pretty much expected to go to college and the workplace to find a husband.

I must have read my mom’s copy of Class Reunion when I was a middle school, and at the time it was probably pretty
Maddy
Jul 03, 2016 Maddy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donated-to-a-lfl
Kind of interest portrait of some stock characters. Didn't love the find-your-inner-confidence-to-stay-with-your-gay-husband thing but I guess it's a sign of the times?
Bethany
I am feeling grateful for our book club idea of selecting a bestselling title from the year you were born. This was so trashy and drama filled. I never would have picked it up on my own. Matt asked me how it was the other night. I said I felt like I was reading a script from a 70's Soap Opera. It was a lot of fun and I got through it pretty quickly. I enjoyed the way the author divided it up by decades.
Beth
Jan 18, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life rarely goes as planned

Girls in the 50's had certain expectations. Everyone was so afraid of being different. Redcliffe girls married Harvard boys and lived happily ever after. No so much for these women. Real life and social change become their sobering reality. This is really a book about love and acceptance, how much can happen and your world stay true with someone?
Kristin
This was a book club read. It was a book written in the year I was born. It was fascinating to see how ahead of her time this author was.

The book follows a group of young women and men through college in the 1950's to their reunion in the 1970's. It was interesting to see the difference in time from the time they were in college to their reunion, then to also reflect on how much has changed since then.

Interesting and pretty good book.
Meghan
Mar 10, 2016 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook
Juicy read about four women who meet at a dorm in Radcliffe in the 1950s, really highlights how much personal and sexual freedom opened up for women in the couple decades between the 1950s and 1970s.
Pam
May 06, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it when I read it in 1982; not sure about now. Probably too old to enjoy it but may hold on to it.
Sonya
Mar 05, 2014 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books!!! Also, one of the few books I have read multiple times!
Fiona
Apr 10, 2014 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Chick lit before we knew there was any such thing. Read early 80s.
Heather
Jan 31, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years and years ago - it was one I pulled from my Granma's shelves and I loved it even though I was a young teen.
Molly
Aug 14, 2016 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
To come
Amy
Feb 24, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that found in the garage in high school and read probably ten times since then. It is about four very different girls who meet in college (Radcliffe) in the 1950's. The story follows the women into the 1970's as they get marrried, have children, travel, etc. All of them follow very different paths which lead to four very different stories. All of the characters are likeable and real. This is one of those books that you cannot put down!
Quynh E
Mar 09, 2008 Quynh E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on the tale end of a vacation after I found it on a dusty shelf at a neighbor's house. I like The Roommating Season by Jaffe and I thought this would be a similar novel to it. It was. Well, sort of. It was easy to read but since it was an old book, it was very dated (obviously).
Ms. Reagan
Reread this after years and years, and still a good, dishy read if you have any interest in Ivy League types and their lives and loves!
Hubert
Cheap paperback fiction: chronicles of four women who went to Radcliffe in the 50s; author reflects on the gender mores of the time, likely in a much too simplistic fashion. Probably considered good 'chick lit' before the term became fashionable / codified. Entertaining, but fluffy.
♥ Marlene♥
May 31, 2009 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
on Monday, February 02, 2009

Read this book at least twice but probably more times.
I have a Dutch copy which I read when young and an English copy which I've read again a few years ago.
I loved this book.

Lend this to my mom last week.

• Eden Burning
  • Random Hearts
  • Nell
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • A Little Death
  • The Friends
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • Falling Angels
  • At Paradise Gate
  • First Things First
  • Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s
  • Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties
  • Dancehall
  • Charlotte
  • The             Rome Affair
  • The Guardian
  • A Girl Like I: An autobiography
Rona Jaffe established The Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers’ Awards program in 1995. It is the only national literary awards program of its kind dedicated to supporting women writers exclusively. Since the program began, the Foundation has awarded more than $850,000 to a total of 92 women.

Ms. Jaffe was the author of sixteen books, including Class Reunion, Family Secrets, The Road Taken, and The Room-
More about Rona Jaffe...