Start by marking “City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)

City Of Fire (Lena Gamble #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  617 ratings  ·  77 reviews
When a vibrant young woman is found in bed by her hotshot businessman husband, carved from belly to throat with a very sharp knife, the elite Robbery-Homicide Division of the LAPD responds in full force. Best-case scenario for lead detective Lena Gamble: Nikki Brant’s husband killed her, case closed.

Unfortunately for Lena, she knows that best-case scenarios only happen in
Published May 29th 2007 by St. Martin's Minotaur (first published 2007)

Michael
Det. Lena Gambrel is assigned the lead responsibility on a case of a young woman found murdered. The victim's body was laid out as if the killer was posing her for someone else to see.

The victim had sex recently but the DNA didn't match her husband's. Lena finds info in the home with the number seven on it. Thinking that this was left by the killer, she looks into similiar cases and finds that the DNA matches that of two other women who were killed where other men were convicted.

The author does
Marca
Excellent cop mystery. Even though the reader learns the identity of the perp early in the book, the story still keeps one guessing until the end. I am not a fan of books where the lead character's personal baggage is a big part of the story. This book pulled it off better than most. The lead cop's brother was killed five years ago and the current case may or may not be part of his death. The reader endures minor hand-wringing on the cop's part, but it doesn't go off the grid as do many books.
Th
Brett Milam
Spoilers ahead.

I’m breaking my rule this time because I want to get into the nooks and crannies of this book, so sorry.

The book, the first in a new series starring the detective, Lena Gamble, is the cat-and-mouse game between Gamble, along with her fellow detectives, and a sadistic rapist-killer known affectionately as Romeo. In the background is Gamble’s history wherein her brother was brutally murdered five years ago and corruption concerns in the LAPD itself.

First and foremost, Romeo is a rea
Book Addict Shaun
When I started reading City of Fire I was reminded of a number of authors because the book had a distinct American feel. Namely two authors that I first borrowed from the library many years ago: Jonathan Kellerman and Joseph Wambaugh. Despite the often horrific crimes you often read about in the genre, the setting of a book is important to me and I loved picturing Los Angeles through David Ellis's writing as he has captured the city brilliantly. Some say crime fiction set in LA is overdone, I di ...more
Ingo
The Kindle eBook bought July 28th, 2015 had a lot of obvious (scan?) errors, some I send to Amazon. As most or all errors where of the kind that a spellchecker should have caught, I think that and/or an editor was not involved, and even for a cheap book that was distracting. Hopefully for later readers this will corrected.

The book and story was too long with the places and backstory, could have been 20% shorter. Still, a page-turner, with a few twists.
An an insight in the mind of a serial rapist
Lainy
Time taken to read - 5 days

Publisher - Pan Books

Pages - 380

Blurb from Goodreads

When a businessman arrives home to find his wife in bed, carved from belly to throat with a very sharp knife, the elite Robbery-Homicide division of the L.A.P.D responds in full force and Detective Lena Gamble prepares for her first major case.

At first all fingers point towards the victim's husband, but best-case scenarios only happen in films and it soon transpires that this murder is one of a series of brutal crime
Tuyk
Lily Martínez
Debo confesar que es la primera novela policíaca que he leído, y creo que es hermoso empezar por estos rumbos con una historia tan pero tan buena (Al menos para mi.) Aunque no lo crean soy una persona exigente a la hora de leer, pero en cuanto llegué un poco lejos con la historia de Gamble (Por ahí de la página 50) supe que estaba leyendo una historia muy buena.
La historia te va llevando poco a poco, me gustan los escritores que te hacen pensar, y eso fue lo que Ellis logró en mi: Llegaba a mis
anionce
Novela policíaca muy entretenida, ambientada en Los Angeles. Algunos giros inesperados, otros no tanto... pero una muy buena lectura en general, seguiré con la saga.
Nadjab
Erste Sätze
Sie wälzte sich im Bett herum, schmiegte die Wange in einen Zipfel ihres Kopfkissens und kuschelte sich noch tiefer hinein. Träumen. Schlafen.

Klappentext
Eine junge schwangere Frau wird tot in ihrem Bett gefunden – vom Bauch bis zur Kehle aufgeschlitzt. Detective Lena Gamble von der Mordkommission in Los Angeles glaubt zunächst, dass die Frau von ihrem Mann getötet wurde. Aber als weitere brutale Frauenmorde verübt werden, wird klar, dass die schrecklichen Taten auf das Konto eines per
Krystin Rachel

WHAT?! SO GOOD. 5 stars, straight up.

I am always searching for a new character series I can get excited about. My dreambook criteria goes like this. One: a kickass female heroine, who is human and knowable with just a sprinkle of tortured. Just a sprinkle! Two: dead bodies. And three: I don't want to be able to figure out the mystery until the author wants me to.

Trying new books, I usually get two-out-three in random combination. This book checks off all three boxes. It's true, there is a Tho
comfort
Humm, I know this is written by a man, but it has the "feel" of being written by a woman- Not that there is anything wrong with that at all. It is something about the descriptions that has a feminine touch.

What starts off to be a rather humdrum murder mystery, moves into quite a complex story involving several murders and maybe several murderers.

It did take me a while to get interested in continuing this story, but when the first twist came I was hooked. I did like Lena (the heroine cop) I liked
Zach
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Lena Gamble, homicide detective
SETTING: Los Angeles
RATING: 4.25

Lena Gamble has recently been promoted to homicide detective with the LAPD. Among her first assignments is to stop a serial killer who is brutally murdering attractive women. His first victim is a pregnant woman; a series of other murders are committed with the police never being able to find anything that will lead them to the perpetrator. Although initially it seems that these are sexual assaults, the murder of a male
Quillracer
I picked this book up based on a Goodreads recommendation. It didn’t make me think ‘I’ve got to read this book,’ merely ‘This sounds interesting.’

I’m glad I tried it. The story caught my attention from the first chapter. Lena Gamble, the main character, is newly promoted to the LAPD’s elite RHD and investigating two crimes – the five-year-old unsolved murder of her brother and the brutal torture-murder of a young wife. I liked Lena, who for once, wasn’t an alcoholic or ex-alcoholic. The ‘dark sp
Katie
Mila Zuliana
How I missed reading thriller! It was so… thrilling!

This book was actually an assigned reading for my course. Yes, what a change. When I saw that this time it was not another heavy, noted literature work, I almost jumped with joy. From the cover and blurbs, I knew it would be awesome. And it was!

I had a phase with crime novels. I don’t know why it stopped, but I rarely read them anymore. So when I read and finished this book in only two sittings (well, two sessions, to be technically exact, beca
Luvinthislife
Another gem by Ellis

Excellent story lines, compelling characters, settings descriptions that draw you in, and resolutions that are hard to predict...Robert Ellis has done it again with City of Fire. It has left me eagerly looking forward to getting started on the next book in the Lena Gamble series. His writing is so good that it makes one wonder how he is able to concoct these novels. It's almost kind of scary to think about it!
Pat
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I won't bother with a synopsis, you can get that anywhere. What I will say is this was a well-written, well-paced thriller that ticked all the boxes. It was also great to have a main character who was not a tortured, dysfunctional soul (for a change) but rather a clever, professional policewoman. Oh, and no tortured inner dialogue.
Shonna Froebel
This book is fast-moving with lots of action, lots of violence and lots of suspense. The main character, Lena Gamble, is a young detective still hurting from the unsolved murder of her brother not that long ago. In her first case as the lead detective, she and her partner Novak are paired with another team. The victim is brutally murdered, and yet doesn't seem to have fought her killer. When her husband's alibi doesn't pan out, her is the obvious suspect. But things aren't always that simple. Ev ...more
Janet
Happy to have discovered this new-to-me author. (Thank you for the recommendation, Goodreads Friend Sandy Kell.) I love a good police procedural, and this book fits the bill. It has good, tight writing, a good plot, and is unpredictable and fast-paced. It puts Robert Ellis in the company of Michael Connelly and Robert Crais, two of my favorites. Lucky for me, there are more books in this series to look forward to.
Estanteriadecho
Ciudad de Fuego es un libro con un entramado trepidante y giros inesperados imprevisibles. Una novela negra que, al igual que el resto del sello La Huella, recomendamos por ser adictivo y rebosante de intriga.

Reseña: http://laestanteriadecho.blogspot.com...
Sandy Kell
Recommended for all fans of a good police procedural with great characters, chilling plot, excellent setting and lots of twists and turns!
Toyah
Well written crime novel with entertaining story line and characters. Full of suspense and surprises.
Rachael
Everything what a good summer mystery read should be---a twisted and gruesome serial killer, fast paced activity, and like able lead characters. Pure fun ride!!!
Penny
This is the 3rd book by Robert Ellis I've read that has the same main character - Lena Gamble.
I think he has a winner in Lena Gamble and I hope he continues to write more mystery/thrillers using her as one of the main characters. As with the other 2 books I read, the story kept me guessing who the bad guy(s) were and I didn't have it figured out in advance. Kept me guessing right up to the end. I like these kinds of books where you don't see the bad guy right away, but you are kept on your toes
Lindi
Wow! I didn't see that coming! Very well put together.
Manray9
Disappointing. Much too similar to Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series, but without the atmosphere and the story development. The villain apparently possesses supernatural powers -- he can break into any building, observe trained police officers at close quarters (as in the very next room!) without being detected, and cannot be bested in a fight! Too unrealistic! Detail undermining the author’s credibility: Rifles and shotguns are not the same. Police officers know this. Ellis doesn’t.
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #1)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher #2)
  • Zwarte Piste
  • Alles te verliezen
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • Killer Weekend (Walt Fleming, #1)
  • Scavengers (Posadas County Mystery, #1)
  • Face of a Killer
  • Games Divas Play
  • The Book of Obeah
  • Spectrum (Karen Vail, #6)
  • Ruins of War (Mason Collins #1)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • No Justice: A Michael Sykora Novel
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • Horse's Arse
Robert Ellis is the international bestselling author of "Access to Power", "The Dead Room", and the critically acclaimed L.A. Times bestseller "City of Fire", "The Lost Witness", and "Murder Season" - selected as top reads by Booklist, Publishers Weekly, National Public Radio, The Chicago Tribune, The Toronto Sun, The Guardian (UK), The Evening Telegraph (UK), People Magazine, USA Today, and The N ...more
More about Robert Ellis...

Lena Gamble (3 books)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)
The Dead Room City of Echoes The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2) Access To Power Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)