Start by marking “Scandalmonger” as Want to Read:
Scandalmonger

Scandalmonger

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  320 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A presidential hopeful has taken a beautiful, vulnerable woman as his mistress, though both are married to others. His rival for the presidency of the United States has even more sensational secrets to guard about his own past. An ambitious journalist unearths the stories of the private lives of both, and he hefts in his hand what he calls "the hammer of truth."
The time
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Scandalmonger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandalmonger

Brian
Jun 18, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually I am skeptical of "historical novels" or "docu-dramas." The authors usually do NOT intend to separate fact from fiction and, but choose to cloud their story to present something closer to what they "would have liked to have really happened" so that it fits within their ideology. Accuracy be damned! Such is the arrogance of many of today's history story-tellers. A popular example of this is Oliver Stone.
William Safire approaches things differently. He has done his homework and actually k
Tony
Jun 18, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Safire has done his homework, creating a fictionalized version of the Pamphleteers accounts of political events and scandals circa 1800 in the U.S. A little slow but interesting to read about the accounts of criminal trials during the time of the Sedition Act. American history fanatics will savor every paragraph of this well written historical fiction that's filled with mostly facts.
Lewis Resnick
May 02, 2016 Lewis Resnick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Well worth reading or listening to. The recorded version is very well performed. The book is rather long but manages to stay interesting. I experience its weakness as these: Some of the characters are not well drawn so it's hard to distinguish one person from another, at least not until they have come up repeatedly. There are more characters than in a Russian novel which compounds that issue.

The novel does give much detail about what went on, frequently on a week-by-week to month-by-m
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems there really is “nothing new under the sun.” Safire’s novelization of historical events involving Jefferson & Hamilton suggests that the press has a long history of seeking out and publicizing incidents involving inappropriate behavior -- sometimes public, but just as often private -- by powerful politicians. Much of the commentary could have been written today, substituting Clinton for Hamilton. A little slow starting, but after the first hundred pages or so, a rather compelling re ...more
Suzanne
Aug 09, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jerry Landry
Early American political history is frought with scandal, intrigue, plots and schemes. From the moment Alexander Hamilton set himself in opposition to the Republican forefathers, the United States established a two-party system that often seems as if it divides the country rather than unites it. For those who feel that the current sentiments between Republicans and Democrats are filled with unparalleled animosity towards each other, you should definitely read Scandalmonger.

In this work of histor
Ron Charles
William Safire doesn't pull any punches. In his new book, he quotes the clerk of the House of Representatives dismissing one of the most famous presidential hopefuls: "A man who carried on with a whore in his own home when his wife was away? And then brought shame on his wife and children by confessing to it publicly? Never!"

We can hardly blame Safire for leaking this juicy outrage. After all, it's already 200 years old.

"Scandalmonger" is a smart, rollicking dramatization of the scandals that sh
Eric
It's not every day that a fictional novel is published with source notes and a bibliography. But this isn't your usual novel. As Safire explains both before and after the book, this novel is a true account based on contemporary documentation. He's taken much of the words written by the historical characters in letters and presented them as dialog between the characters. It's a unique approach that makes for an entertaining and informative read.

But what's the book about? Political intrigue, mainl
Ann
May 10, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
15 or 20 years ago, my mom recommended "Freedom" by William Safire. A historical novel based on the Civil War. It was a great book, so I was delighted to stumple upon his "Scandalmongers"(it was written in 2000). Safire takes historical fact and weaves in a little bit of fiction. The book follows with an 'underbook' that references what he writes that is real, and what is fiction. This book is set during George Washington's time and starts with a scandal concerning Alexander Hamilton. The newspa ...more
Gloria
Jan 24, 2015 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm not a history major it took me awhile to familiarize myself with the political characters and what was historically going on during that period of time. I particularly liked the Epilogue of "What Happened Later" and the "Notes and Sources" which I continuously looked at while I was reading the book. I found myself on the internet looking at other references for more details on the characters. I conclude that each of us will draw on our on imaginations as to what actually went on behind ...more
Ed
Novel - Recorded version - a sprawling novel of the early years of political dealings after the Revolutionary War. The Federalists and Republicans are battling and scandalmongering newsmen keep the conflicts in the public eye. William Callender helps to discredit Alexander Hamilton but then feels betrayed by Thomas Jefferson and exposes his dark secrets.
Jim
Oct 12, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Real historical people mix with a few fictional characters in this novel about political intrigue in the first years of our nation. The central figure is James Callender, who supported the Republicans and then the Federalists, making the switch largely for perceived affronts from Thomas Jefferson. This is fun to read, with much of it based on actual events. Safire makes a reasonable attempt to capture late 18th and early 19th century modes of thought and speech, with a lot of his dialogue copied ...more
Stefanie
A fascinating, shocking, delightful mostly-true tale of the years of the Adams and Jefferson presidencies. It follows the adulterous scandal that barred Hamilton from the presidency, the numerous sexual scandals that nearly cost Jefferson his re-election, the tensions with France and England, and how a saucy and fearless journalist named Callender brought it all about. Everyone who ever thought American history was boring should read this book, and everyone who ever thought American history was ...more
Liz McMahon
Fascinating historical novel during the transition from Adams to Jefferson, the Hamilton/Burr duel and the everpresent "scandalmongers" who wrote for the newspapers. Newspapers and politics now are tame compared to then! A book you never forget!
Judy
Oct 07, 2007 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
A fantastic historical novel about the mixture of agenda journalism and politics that fed the enmmity between Alexander Hamilton and his bitter rival, Thomas Jefferson. The scandalmonger is journalist James Callender, who published dirt on Hamilton's financial dealings. Hamilton fires back by leaking word of Jefferson's own amorous dealings with more than one woman. After reading "Scandalmonger," you'll never again think that journalistic feeding frenzies about politicians and their misdeeds -- ...more
0/5 stars.

This book was very dull, too thick to navigate, and the language was incomprehensible. I think I met everyone and no one, all of the characters being rather complex and difficult to follow.

I think this story was ill when we met and it slipped down to death until the end, as the plot was buried under heavy layers of detail for the duration of the read, but I don't feel it was a very educational sort of journey. Still, it revealed the troubled times in our country's early days: creating
Christine
May 11, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book even more than I thought I would. Far from being boring or dry, this book brought history to life by leaning toward the "reality TV" angle of that period of history. And now I know what "Federalism" means. This period after G. Washington's presidency ended has always been pretty fuzzy in my mind, so this novel did a great job at making it memorable. I know it will stick with me. I figured that William Safire would offer a novel that is readable and entertaining, yet substantive ...more
Tiffany
Mar 03, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite excellent in some places and good in others. It was a good piece of historical fiction. It was so good in that regard, that it is a good thing that the author makes pains in the end to explain what was historical and what was fiction.

I do think the author played the part of a scandalmonger a bit himself here. Perhaps it is my own bias, but considering some of the things that were fiction, it seemed that he wanted to make clear which scandals of the founding fathers he felt we
Sharon
I happened upon this book by chance. I had no idea Safire wrote fiction. This is the story of journalists during the presidencies of Adams and Jefferson. If you think jounalists dig dirt today, you should read what they wrote back then! Really interesting themes of truth vs. libel, freedom of the press, and public vs. personal behavior. The prose is more workmanlike than I'm used to in fiction, it reads more like non-fiction, but I enjoyed it immensely and promptly picked up some more titles co ...more
Jenarseneau
Dec 07, 2009 Jenarseneau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book before, but Fritz and I just finished the HBO series John Adams and it got me interested in American history. This book is a novel written by a historian and it tells the story of a "tabloid" writer (real person)who uncovered Thomas Jefferson's relationship with his slave Sally. But the buildup to that shows how politics in this country is exactly the same as it was right after the American Revolution. It's not the easiest book to get into, but it does get interesting and it ...more
Bill
Aug 30, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a colleague or I might never have picked it up. Although I was a little slow to warm to the story, Safire did a great job of weaving the historical events into a suspenseful plot, and before long I was hooked. I love this period of American history, and enjoyed learning more about Cobbett and Callender. Finally, someone came forward to champion them.
Sharon
Feb 15, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My knowledge of the early history of the United States as a government was limited to the facts. The political warfare, scandals, and intrigues were news to me. It was rough and tumble time. We take the view that political scandals are something new but apparently, it was a part of the social fabric of early America.
Louis Gary
Sep 05, 2013 Louis Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting historical themes: the meaning of freedom of the press right after the 2nd amendment is created and how did our great experiment of a democratic republic actually work with the personalities of that time. Great book for those who love historical fiction.
Anika
Jan 08, 2009 Anika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never was interested in early American history when we studied it in highschool, but Scandalmonger turned it all around. Now I want to read about it all the time! Plus, who doesn't like William Safire (hello New York Times Magazine!)
Tim
Jun 18, 2010 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do not know if it was the clunky writing style or the handling of the subject matter, but I tossed this book aside quite quickly. May give it another chance before the summer is out (or it may end up at the thrift store).
Evie53
Oct 07, 2011 Evie53 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, excellent research, loved that he used their own words through letters and journal entries. How close we came to not being a country after so many had sacrificed so much.
Chuck
Apr 20, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A historical novel which takes place 1797-1806 and features
early pamphleteers and political news writers whose investigative
reporting targets Alexander Hamilton and Tom Jefferson.
Linda
Nov 12, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ruth
Recommended to Linda by: Today
Shelves: chcpl
A novel about the mudslinging that took place during the Revolutionary War period of the U.S. It's not new to modern times. It's been going on for hundreds of years.
Ed
Apr 26, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fascinating historical fiction based on real people who lived during America's Federal period. Fun to read. Compare to our politics of today.
Toni
Oct 05, 2011 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally, I am not a fan of fictional accounts of actual events, but this one was very well researched and well done, and quite an enjoyable read.
Barb
A bit too dense in detailed history for me. Someone who loves this period and knows it well would probably love this book.
  • The Path of the Hero King (Robert the Bruce, #2)
  • 1812
  • Stuff Happens
  • The Gates of the Alamo
  • Democracy
  • Citizen Washington
  • Attila: The Gathering Of The Storm (Attila Trilogy #2)
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • The Kings in Winter
  • Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • The Haldeman Diaries
  • 365 Days
  • Benedict Arnold's Navy: The Ragtag Fleet That Lost the Battle of Lake Champlain But Won the American Revolution
  • The Templar (Templars, #1)
  • Then and Now
  • Signed, Mata Hari
  • Grania: She-King of the Irish Seas
William Lewis Safire was an American author, columnist, journalist and presidential speechwriter.

He was perhaps best known as a long-time syndicated political columnist for the New York Times and a regular contributor to "On Language" in the New York Times Magazine, a column on popular etymology, new or unusual usages, and other language-related topics.
More about William Safire...