Subjects Matter

Subjects Matter

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Finally, a book about content-area reading that's just as useful to math, science, and history teachers as it is to English teachers Lively, practical, and irreverent, Subjects Matter points the way to activities and materials that energize content and engage students across all subject areas. Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman, authors of a dozen influential books on lite...more
Published February 12th 2004 by Heinemann Educational Books

Scott Rhee
While I had to read this for a class, I was impressed enough by it to give it four stars, as it goes above and beyond a dry education textbook. Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman's "Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading" is an excellent overview of a non-mandated but highly-suggested program that many school districts have, with varying degrees of success, tried to implement. While some schools do it better than others (and some don't even try), it probably hasn't been e...more
One day an announcement was sent through teacher e-mail: a book study for GT credit. I really don't need any more GT credit so I was about to delete it when I saw the author: Harvey Daniels. I learned about literature circles through his work. I was in.

When I read these kinds of books, I tend to look at them through a struggling readers's teacher's eyes. I need ways to motivate my struggling readers. This book, though, applied to both my struggling readers and the preAP (honors) students.

A lot o...more
Dana Schroeder
This is a great resource for anyone who teaches reading and especially content teachers who should teach reading. The roughly 30 pages of content area reading titles as well as the 40 pages of before-during-after reading strategies make this a resource worth buying for the practicing teacher, but there is so much more. Authors Daniels and Zimmerman also provide research on why textbooks are not enough, how to use a textbook effectively, building a community of learners and creating reading works...more
Weyr
I read this as a textbook, but it's one that I'll be keeping. It took me a while to read it as an informative book rather than a textbook, because in the latter's light the text is almost frustrating. Once you read it from a "learning" perspective and not a "teach me" perspective, it's really a great book. The strategies it contains are interesting and I will be trying many of them. The list of trade books it contains I have bookmarked because many of them I want to read for fun!

I probably would...more
Amy
Despite my irritation at taking this class (aimed at middle and high schol teachers, while I am a preschool speech-therapist) I thought this was agreat book with lots of good points. It has a list of recommended "trade" books (not text books)for subject area content from English novels to History to Math, and I plan to try to read some from each area, just to be a well rounded individual.
Excellent for any teacher (or parent) who has ever wondered why kids can "read" a whole text book and yet "n...more
Melissa
I'm still reading all the details but I found this book to be really helpful and insightful for me, so I could pin down some of my vague ideas of having kids in biology classes still do reading and writing. Also the section on different reading strategies was helpful since I haven't taken any methods classes yet. Not sure how relevant this is for English/lit teachers but for science/math folk I think it's great.
Elizabeth Dykema
Although this was a textbook for a college class, I really enjoyed this book. There are great ideas in the book from strategies to titles that can be used in a Social Studies classroom.
Kathy McC
I was asked by my principal to read this as part of our school improvement plan. I was skeptical at first. But, there are a significant number of educational studies,logical rationale, and arguments for justification of these ideas. However, while the authors admit that their plan is extremely time consuming, there are no solutions for making it less so.
Jodi
This is an excellent resource for adding reading strategies into other subject/content area classrooms. It is also an excellent book for reading/English teachers to gain ideas and strategies for all aspects of reading, particularly with non-fiction, informational materials. The authors make it a very reader-friendly, interesting text, too!
Ashleigh
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's an easy read, rather than a stuffy, research-y one. It's full of strategies that teachers could implement tomorrow, as well as overarching ideas that teachers will need to take the time to slowly implement into their classes. There are many stories of how teachers used these strategies in their classrooms.
Miranda
It was a good overview on such topics as differentiation, reading across the disciplines, and it also gave a pretty extensive book list of suggested reading in various subjects, for high schoolers. However, it did get to be repetitive after awhile, and I didn't necessarily agree with all of the authors' approaches.
Mary Liquori
This book is geared more toward middle and high school content area teachers who may not have experience with teaching reading. There are some good ideas, though, on activities for reading content area materials that I could incorporate into my 5th grade classroom (Math, Science, and Social Studies)...
GFCentralLiteracy
Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman outline how content area teachers can engage students in thoughtful reading. The book includes not only strategies and activities to help students read better, it also features content area books that students could read in addition to or in lieu of textbooks.
Emily
Jul 18, 2012 Emily added it
This book was completely focused on secondary education even though it is subtitled "Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading". It was not all what I hoped for. I did get a few useful strategies that I coupld adapt for my classroom, but all in all not worth the time for elementary teachers.
Ellen
I just finished this book and two PowerPoint presentations on portions of it as well! This was an easy book to read, full of great suggestions for teaching reading to middle school students. I would recommend it to any teacher, because truly all teachers are teachers of reading.
Clint Heitz
Nov 15, 2009 Clint Heitz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers/reading specialists/literacy coaches
Recommended to Clint by: Reading Prof.
As a grad student in reading and an aspiring Reading Specialist, I found this book to be one of those that will constantly be at hand and covered in post-it notes. Daniels has a knack for making what might be dry to many people into an intriguing, conversational guide.
Jessica
I'm an English teacher, so my content area inherently involves literacy and reading, but the strategies outlined in this book, as well as the FABULOUS recommended book lists, have really changed the way I think about teaching reading.
Hilary Herrmann
Jul 23, 2008 Hilary Herrmann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: secondary teachers
This is a great book for any secondary content area teacher. A easy to read introduction of reading strategies and literacy instruction tailored specifically for non-reading teachers.
Emily
This was really practical and reader friendly. There's lots of concrete strategies to try out. Great chapter on how to use (and not use) text books.

RRVWP
This must-read cross-curricular book examines reading across content areas and includes reading lists to support such reading.
Katherine Fountain
Available on Kindle! Easy read with great reading strategies and situational examples that we, as teachers, can all relate to!
Mindelei
There are some interesting strategies for reading in here, but the book lists are for middle school and elementary school.
Jennie
A good one for content teachers, although there are some things I will grab and use in reading class, too.
jacky
I read this for my second literacy class. Takes "Do I really have to teach reading" by Tivani further.
Tyler
Textbook for my last class @ SPC!
Eric
very practical - great examples
Michael Handy
Every teacher should read this book.
Erica
Chapters 3, 6, 10, & 12
Erin
Very informative. With practical techniques to use in the classroom to encourage literacy. All subject area teachers can benefit from this resource.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles Literature Circles Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others Content-Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide Teaching the Best Practice Way