Start by marking “Subjects Matter” as Want to Read:
Subjects Matter

Subjects Matter

Finally, a book about content-area reading that's just as useful to math, science, and history teachers as it is to English teachers Lively, practical, and irreverent, Subjects Matter points the way to activities and materials that energize content and engage students across all subject areas. Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman, authors of a dozen influential books on lite ...more
Published February 12th 2004 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Subjects Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subjects Matter

Scott Rhee
Apr 22, 2014 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, education
While I had to read this for a class, I was impressed enough by it to give it four stars, as it goes above and beyond a dry education textbook. Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman's "Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading" is an excellent overview of a non-mandated but highly-suggested program that many school districts have, with varying degrees of success, tried to implement. While some schools do it better than others (and some don't even try), it probably hasn't been e ...more
Dec 05, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, nonfiction
One day an announcement was sent through teacher e-mail: a book study for GT credit. I really don't need any more GT credit so I was about to delete it when I saw the author: Harvey Daniels. I learned about literature circles through his work. I was in.

When I read these kinds of books, I tend to look at them through a struggling readers's teacher's eyes. I need ways to motivate my struggling readers. This book, though, applied to both my struggling readers and the preAP (honors) students.

A lot o
Dana Schroeder
This is a great resource for anyone who teaches reading and especially content teachers who should teach reading. The roughly 30 pages of content area reading titles as well as the 40 pages of before-during-after reading strategies make this a resource worth buying for the practicing teacher, but there is so much more. Authors Daniels and Zimmerman also provide research on why textbooks are not enough, how to use a textbook effectively, building a community of learners and creating reading works ...more
Apr 25, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I read this as a textbook, but it's one that I'll be keeping. It took me a while to read it as an informative book rather than a textbook, because in the latter's light the text is almost frustrating. Once you read it from a "learning" perspective and not a "teach me" perspective, it's really a great book. The strategies it contains are interesting and I will be trying many of them. The list of trade books it contains I have bookmarked because many of them I want to read for fun!

I probably would
Jul 19, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Despite my irritation at taking this class (aimed at middle and high schol teachers, while I am a preschool speech-therapist) I thought this was agreat book with lots of good points. It has a list of recommended "trade" books (not text books)for subject area content from English novels to History to Math, and I plan to try to read some from each area, just to be a well rounded individual.
Excellent for any teacher (or parent) who has ever wondered why kids can "read" a whole text book and yet "n
Sep 24, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I'm still reading all the details but I found this book to be really helpful and insightful for me, so I could pin down some of my vague ideas of having kids in biology classes still do reading and writing. Also the section on different reading strategies was helpful since I haven't taken any methods classes yet. Not sure how relevant this is for English/lit teachers but for science/math folk I think it's great.
Jul 24, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for adding reading strategies into other subject/content area classrooms. It is also an excellent book for reading/English teachers to gain ideas and strategies for all aspects of reading, particularly with non-fiction, informational materials. The authors make it a very reader-friendly, interesting text, too!
Kathy McC
Aug 17, 2012 Kathy McC rated it really liked it
I was asked by my principal to read this as part of our school improvement plan. I was skeptical at first. But, there are a significant number of educational studies,logical rationale, and arguments for justification of these ideas. However, while the authors admit that their plan is extremely time consuming, there are no solutions for making it less so.
May 18, 2011 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's an easy read, rather than a stuffy, research-y one. It's full of strategies that teachers could implement tomorrow, as well as overarching ideas that teachers will need to take the time to slowly implement into their classes. There are many stories of how teachers used these strategies in their classrooms.
Mary Liquori
Aug 11, 2013 Mary Liquori rated it liked it
This book is geared more toward middle and high school content area teachers who may not have experience with teaching reading. There are some good ideas, though, on activities for reading content area materials that I could incorporate into my 5th grade classroom (Math, Science, and Social Studies)...
Feb 21, 2008 Miranda rated it liked it
It was a good overview on such topics as differentiation, reading across the disciplines, and it also gave a pretty extensive book list of suggested reading in various subjects, for high schoolers. However, it did get to be repetitive after awhile, and I didn't necessarily agree with all of the authors' approaches.
Clint Heitz
Nov 15, 2009 Clint Heitz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers/reading specialists/literacy coaches
Recommended to Clint by: Reading Prof.
As a grad student in reading and an aspiring Reading Specialist, I found this book to be one of those that will constantly be at hand and covered in post-it notes. Daniels has a knack for making what might be dry to many people into an intriguing, conversational guide.
Feb 17, 2011 GFCentralLiteracy rated it really liked it
Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman outline how content area teachers can engage students in thoughtful reading. The book includes not only strategies and activities to help students read better, it also features content area books that students could read in addition to or in lieu of textbooks.
Jul 18, 2012 Emily added it
This book was completely focused on secondary education even though it is subtitled "Every Teacher's Guide to Content-Area Reading". It was not all what I hoped for. I did get a few useful strategies that I coupld adapt for my classroom, but all in all not worth the time for elementary teachers.
Apr 22, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I'm an English teacher, so my content area inherently involves literacy and reading, but the strategies outlined in this book, as well as the FABULOUS recommended book lists, have really changed the way I think about teaching reading.
Apr 25, 2010 Ellen rated it really liked it
I just finished this book and two PowerPoint presentations on portions of it as well! This was an easy book to read, full of great suggestions for teaching reading to middle school students. I would recommend it to any teacher, because truly all teachers are teachers of reading.
Mar 02, 2016 Mel rated it it was amazing
Every teacher of middle and high school students should read this book. It is full of excellent and practical suggestions for getting kids to read and understand content.
May 23, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Very informative. With practical techniques to use in the classroom to encourage literacy. All subject area teachers can benefit from this resource.
Elizabeth Dykema
Jan 09, 2014 Elizabeth Dykema rated it it was amazing
Although this was a textbook for a college class, I really enjoyed this book. There are great ideas in the book from strategies to titles that can be used in a Social Studies classroom.
Mar 09, 2010 RRVWP rated it it was amazing
This must-read cross-curricular book examines reading across content areas and includes reading lists to support such reading.
Dec 19, 2008 Mindelei rated it liked it
There are some interesting strategies for reading in here, but the book lists are for middle school and elementary school.
Feb 02, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
This was really practical and reader friendly. There's lots of concrete strategies to try out. Great chapter on how to use (and not use) text books.

Mar 30, 2007 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I read this for my second literacy class. Takes "Do I really have to teach reading" by Tivani further.
Katherine Fountain
Oct 30, 2013 Katherine Fountain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Available on Kindle! Easy read with great reading strategies and situational examples that we, as teachers, can all relate to!
Mar 31, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
A good one for content teachers, although there are some things I will grab and use in reading class, too.
Hilary Herrmann
Jul 23, 2008 Hilary Herrmann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: secondary teachers
This is a great book for any secondary content area teacher. A easy to read introduction of reading strategies and literacy instruction tailored specifically for non-reading teachers.
Juliette  Soleil
Juliette Soleil rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Desiree Gray
Desiree Gray rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Maia rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Katie rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Write Like This
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Building Academic Vocabulary: Teacher's Manual

“While at the wheel, you are simultaneously dealing with issues in time, space, physics, and potentially, life and death – and all the while, you're wondering who's bringing the guacamole.” 0 likes