Start by marking “Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)” as Want to Read:
Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)

Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)

From one of the most brilliant imaginations in science fiction comes Flinx Transcendent, Alan Dean Foster's thrilling conclusion to the series that began over thirty-five years ago-the epic adventures of Flinx and his flying minidrag companion, Pip.
Flinx is the only one with even the tiniest chance of stopping the evil colossus barreling in to destroy the Humanx Commonwea
Published May 19th 2009 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Flinx Transcendent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flinx Transcendent

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
87th out of 314 books — 236 voters
The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyDragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey
Books with Animal Familiars
37th out of 187 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
May 15, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, finally, I've read the last of the Pip & Flinx sub-series of Alan Dean Foster's larger Humanx Commonwealth series (it's a bit like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series with its series within series). I first entered this wonderfully imagined world in my early teens (I'm currently forty) so it's been a while. Foster closes the book with the following dedication page (I suppose I better slap a spoiler over it) and it felt like he was talking to me:

(view spoiler)
Perry
Mar 22, 2015 Perry rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
As far as deus ex machina endings go, this wasn't super egregious.

All the same, though...you build up a potential solution for what? 6 books or so?

THROW it away 85% of the way into the LAST book. Have the characters scramble for a brief, obscure reference made to a potential mystery back in book....what? 7? 8?

And bring THAT back about 90% of the way into the final book to save the day with some mythical, reality bending tech that just...you plug into it, tell it to do this thing and it just c
Katy-Del
Jun 17, 2009 Katy-Del rated it liked it
Melanti
Dec 22, 2011 Melanti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2011
I was disappointed that after 5 or 6 books of nothing but wandering around, Foster didn't get right to looking at ways to defeat the evil nothingness. Sadly, the first 1/3 of the book is pointless soul searching (again). Flinx has just barely started thinking about a solution halfway through the novel and they start out on their journey 2/3 of the way through. Not much time to resolve things.

One common plot device used that I hate is that of "the chosen one" -- the idea that one person and one p
Jeff
Sep 14, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Camille, Brian, Kevin, Tom
Recommended to Jeff by: Saw it in the library
Shelves: science-fiction
Author Alan Dean Foster brings a 35 year saga to an end with the final adventure of Pip and Flinx and does it in a tone of positivity, joy, and compassion that is, well, transcendent!

If you like your science fiction serious; if you like your adventures arch, then Foster won't fill your need. Philip Lynx, Flinx for short, is a very serious young man with the weight of galactic civilization on his shoulders. He, somehow and someway, is the key to halting a parsecs-large, galaxy devouring nothingne
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
This one gets three stars in my book, but only barely because it was closer to a 3 than a 2. I've read many of the Pip and Flinx books over the years and had a certain nostalgia, so when I saw this one I was interested to see how things would turn out for them. I'm not sure why Foster spent the first third of the book perhaps on the Aaahn home world when events there had little to nothing to do with the rest of the book. The characterization wasn't great...in fact, downright abysmal in regards ...more
Craig
Jan 06, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When one has been faithfully reading a series for thirty-five years and the final volume finally arrives, one's expectations are bound to be unrealistically high. (Such as King's DARK TOWER.) FLINX TRANSCENDENT is about twice as long as the other Pip & Flinx novels, but that's because it's more like two novels shoe-horned together than one longer narrative. Once the first-half concludes, the promised resolutions are finally addressed and satisfactorily wrapped-up. I don't believe that all of ...more
Candida Rodriguez
Jan 04, 2011 Candida Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Finally, the last novel...or is it?

Many of the unanswered question thorough-out the series are answered in this book.And as usual, full of character, twist and turns and hope. I love Mr. Fosters writing, and this series especially. Will he save the galaxy? Will Clarity and Flinx finally get married? What about the Mother Mastiff? And yes, the answer to what happened to the scientist on Quofum.

I can say one thing, I would not be surprised if another adventure pops up down the road, or is that w
Mary
Jun 11, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I first met Flinx and Pip when "his" paperback publishser did a special promotion at a local bookstore, giving free copies to anyone who bought other SF/Fantasy novels...It's taken 35 years to let the poor boy finish saving himself, the Humanx Commonwealth, and finally, the entire Milky Way. I read these stories for the plot and a little (and a little can go a long way!) characterization--the author has insisted on giving us much more in the last few books but I have accepted it and trudged ...more
Mike S
May 01, 2010 Mike S rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
The book has a good story line but it's too long, and Flinx's girlfriend can be very annoying, a lot of time is wasted on redundant conversation by several poorly developed characters, it's a shame the author didn't do a better job, the story line has a lot of potential. I don't think I'll read any more Flinx books unless the author takes a break from writing them for several years, and they're half as long at most. Not recommended unless you're a die-hard Flinx fan.
Tina Bartholoma
Last in a very drawn out series, it can be read alone, but you'll end up going back to the beginning to find all the past references. So glad to get a conclusion on this, but many of the previous Flinx books are hard to get a hold of. I loved the last line, but no one will laugh longer than the true Flinx fan.
Choko
Apr 07, 2015 Choko rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A good end to pleasant series. I was hooked despite of the total self-absorption of the main character. I guess, he was more of a typical man than he thought:) I am sorry for the adventures to have finished and to say good-buy to the many fun worlds.
Ted R Turner
Sep 04, 2014 Ted R Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great possible end to the Series.

Only didn't read two of the series. This most recent wrapped them all up quite nicely. A pleasure to read and definitely space science fiction at its finest.
Sandy
Dec 07, 2009 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I had trouble getting through this bok. Although I enjoyed the early Pip & Flinx books I felt that the series dragged on much too long. I felt like I'd been there read that for much of the book.
Jeffrey
Feb 12, 2010 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Flinx fans; foster fans
I have been reading the adventures of Flinx and Pip for a long time. This latest and last book (supposedly) by Alan Dean Foster has some high notes. Flinx sojourns in the homeworld of the AAnn is interesting, but at teh same time its generally irrevelant to the plot. I think Foster wants to show what the AAnn homeworld is like so he uses Flinx for this purpose.

He interweaves clues to the resolution of the great evil that is threatening the universe from several earlier books in his Commonwealth
E.
Aug 02, 2009 E. rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
About 35 years ago, Alan Dean Foster started the saga of Flinx, a young orphan living on the planet Moth with Mother Mastiff. This introduction took place in "For the Love of Mother-Not" and started the reader on a wild ride through multiple planets encountering diverse species including the insectoid Thranx and reptilian AAnn. Foster's fertile imagination peopled his worlds with disparate definitions of civilization, odd characteristics to the forms of speech used and made the reader stretch ...more
annapi
Feb 07, 2016 annapi rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
So far this is the weakest of Christine Warren's Others series that I have read. Ada Markham still can't quite accept that her best friends have all turned to or into Others and is feeling quite resentful in her loneliness. Fate conspires against her when she is attacked by a vampire and turned into one herself.

Vladimir "Dima" Rurikovich is an elite member of the European Council of Vampires and is in America on a covert mission - to find an escaped vampire fugitive who is murdering humans wanto
Chris
Mar 21, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having finally reached the end of this trip, I'm not sure how satisfied I am with the ending. Granted, I just finished it and haven't taken any time to reflect on it, but for all the culmination of events leading up to this I feel as though it was a mostly predictable ending. I was really hoping for a whiz-bang woo-hoo tie in with all the different entities Flinx had an association. With the exception of Mahnahmi showing up (I'd actually forgotten all about her) I felt it was just what was ...more
Cupcakencorset
This ninth novel in the Pip & Flinx series is the last, bringing to a climax the overarching plotline of the whole shebang, the ultimate confrontation that will determine the fate of the characters and of our cluster of galaxies. While the language is at times overly flowery, overly pedantic, underly (well, it should be a word) conversational, the book holds up. And given the chore of winding up a series begun so long ago and involving so many civilizations, Foster has done an admirable job.
Kevin
Sep 01, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Foster finally brings a series I started in the late 1970s to a satisfying close, and recaptures the thrilling huge concepts of ancient alien artifacts and unimaginable engineering feats and other gosh wow geeky cool stuff reported in the first few books of the series so many decades ago. Four stars only because I am so much older now and one can rarely go back to the days of youth when everything was new and wonderful. This volume comes very close however.
Jan
Aug 06, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, series
As one can tell by my reviews, I like series books which can stand on their own. I have read many of the books on and off through the years but it has been several years since I read one. It was sad to read that this was the end of the series but Flinx and Pip deserve the downtime. You get to revisit many of the worlds and characters for a fitting conclusion and one that leaves an opening to further adventures...
Lara
Aug 16, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing
Well, that was a satisfying end to the series. Flinx travels all over the galaxy, gets himself into untenable positions from which he has to extricate himself, and gets to save the universe. Along the way he makes new friends and spends time with old ones. Old enemies show their faces as well, and things are wrapped up quite nicely. The only real question is, once he's saved the universe, and now he knows about his parents, what is he going to do?
Matt
May 17, 2016 Matt rated it it was ok
Wraps things up reasonably, but not really in any satisfactory way. Flinx doesn't grow. Clarity doesn't grow. There's nothing particularly interesting about the various plot machinations and SF-isms. All in all, this entire series of books beyond the original trilogy could have never been written and the world would not have been a poorer place. Really wish that Foster had had something interesting to say here, but such was not the case.
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
Feb 26, 2013 Rogue-van (the Bookman) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fan, rvo-reviewed
The little story at the beginning about the AAnn is in some ways more interesting than the BIG SF story that contains it. In trying something no human has done before, Flinx discovers a lot about the Aann--almost his last discoveries! Then he moves on to even odder alien civilizations to try to save the universe; a fitting climax to a terrific SF series of over a dozen novels! (Some violence.)
Richard Van Dijk
May 31, 2010 Richard Van Dijk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, sci-fi
The last book of the Flinx series. Flinx finally has to battle the horror he has been watching / dreaming of for so long.
The books moves along well, and we get to see old friends, and some rivals also, as the climax appoaches. And then of course, is the big question, what will he do after he has dealt with the issues at hand?
Rachel
Mar 25, 2015 Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi-future, 2015, aliens
I picked this book up because I wanted to see how the series ended. I loved the first few books in the series and then stopped reading them, because nothing new ever happened. I was disappointed in this book. I was hoping it would be similar to the first books in the series, but it wasn't. I was bored, it was the same as the books later in the series.
Andreas
Mar 17, 2016 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imported
A worthy ending to a worthy series.
Though it wasn't necessary to re-introduce every character into the plot that Foster did (e.g. we coud have done without Sylzenzuzex and Mahnahmi). On the other hand, other interesting possibilities were woefully left out (e.g. a tie-in of Quofum).
Still, overall a very good read.
Abby
May 27, 2010 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is th' last of the "Pip and Flinx" adventures. AD Foster wraps up this long series very, very well.
I had the choice of "ordering it; it'll be in in a week to 10 days" or downloading it to my I-Pod. I chose the I-Pod. Having a book read to me isn't the same as reading it myself. Next time, I'll wait the 10 days for it!
Roberta
Jul 07, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it
It was time for Foster to end this series. But did he really? It seemed the ending left room for more. I loved the first Flinx books. They unfortunately kept getting longer and longer without getting better and better.
Steve
Jan 12, 2012 Steve added it
Hmmmm...I'm 47 yrs old, the cover claims the Flinx series is 35yrs in the making. Which means I must have read "Tar-Aiym Krang" a very long, long, time ago....
Most enjoyable
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock, #12)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Twilight of the Empire (Twilight of the Empire, #1-3) (Deathstalker)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • The Magnificent Wilf
  • The Course of Empire (Jao, #1)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • The Ethos Effect (Parafaith, #2)
  • Perfect Pumpkin Pie
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • Strikeforce (Skyship Academy, #3)
  • The Universe Against Her
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx, #1)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #2)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #11)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx, #5)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx, #6)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #9)

“In discovering that half of his biological heritage consisted of nothing more than an impersonal concoction of designer proteins, artificially leveraged by indifferent scientists to produce a zygote that when matured would, they hoped, display certain interesting mental abilities, he had felt something fundamental drain out of him. He had been nothing more than a test, an experiment, one among many.” 0 likes
“was at once appalled and impressed. Personally, he could not recall having read or heard of an instance where a human economist had resolved a disagreement with a fellow academician by ripping out the other's tendons and ligaments.” 0 likes