Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp

Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Dancing dinosaurs! Reading aloud has never been so much fun!
What did the dinosaurs do for fun? What really happened when the Jurassic gang wanted to let off some steam? They danced, of course! They rocked and rolled; they twirled and tromped! They had themselves a Dinosaur Stomp! With illustrations by Scott Nash that leap off the page like a raptor doing the fandango, Car...more
Published February 18th 2002 by Candlewick (first published January 1st 1997)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Must Reads For Young Ladies
99th out of 106 books — 21 voters
A Cuddle For Little Duck by Claire FreedmanDimity Duck by Jane YolenIt's Quacking Time! by Martin Waddell?Como Dan Las Buenas Noches Los Dinosaurios? by Jane Yolen1, 2, 3 y Los Colores de Querido Dragn/Dear Dragon's Colors 1... by Margaret Hillert
Preschool-"D"
15th out of 29 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Savanna
Summary: Word goes out among the dinosaurs that there is going to be a big party so all of the dinosaurs get ready for it: washing and curing their tails. Then the party begins. It is a really wild party, so wild that is makes the volcanos erupt and earthquakes happen. The dinosaurs get tired and go to sleep in the swamp where they still sleep to this day.

The only thing in this book that parents might find controversial is the part mentioning earthquakes and volcanos. Some people don’t believe e...more
Naleni Persaud
Have you ever wondered what the dinosaurs did for fun? What really happened when the Jurassic gang wanted to let off some steam? They danced, of course! They rocked and rolled, they twirled and tromped! They had themselves a dinosaur stomp! Join Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Duckbill, Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Brontosaurus and other rockin’ dinosaurs at the biggest, loudest, wildest party ever! Boomalacka boomalacka! Whack! Whack! WHACK!
This is a great book for rhyming. My class were able to easily un...more
Lexi.vernaglia
This is a book that I would read to young children. It has very colorful pictures, cool dinosaurs, and it rhymes. I would definitely keep a child’s attention, because it is also not too long. This is about a cool party that is going to happen at the Dinosaur Stomp that night. All the dinosaurs are getting ready for the night. They are scrubbing their nails and curling their tails. Once they were all ready they headed over to the Dinosaur Stomp where the older ones got in groups and talked togeth...more
Adrienne
Really fun book. The rhymes were really good, which isn't always the case with kids' books. The illustrations were great.
Chelsea
Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp is a fun book for kids about what Dinosaurs do to have a little fun! Genre could definitely be discussed with the younger groups with a book like this, and rhyming helps keep the kids attention. The description of words and onomatopoeias can be brought up as well. Basically the book is sweet an short, the dinosaurs get ready for the party, the dinosaurs go to party, and the dinosaurs have fun all night long!
Danie Cutter
Little miss really enjoyed this, she's hugely into dinosaurs at the moment and it gelled with my liking for nice rhymes so making it easy to read out loud.

An unexpected find as this was part of our nursery's book chest, it's not one I would choose myself but that's what "book clubs" are all about.

Well worth a read both for children and the narrators!
Hope Johnson
This is a great book to read while children are beginning to learn about dinosaurs. It lists all the different types of dinosaurs and you can explore each type of dinosaur. Also, it is a great book for a lesson on rhythm. It talks about beats and steps and you can create a whole lesson about rhythm or a have the children create a song for the book.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Thirty one pages of rowdy, rhyming rumpus slide sneakily to a snuggly spread of catchy yawns and snores in this satisfying bedtime bash.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Rebecca Snodgrass
I'm reading this to my K kids on Wednesday and we are going to have fun making a Kindergarten stomp with music and movement. It's a great 10 minute little activity kids can do to get their wiggles out. The Dino names are kind of hard to pronounce so make sure to practice this book a few times before you read it to your kids!!!
Kelly
Illustrated by Scott Nash. Although it has great rhythm and rhymes, there isn't much story to the story. Lots of dinosaur names are used which makes it cumbersome to read. I think that kids would lose interest with all of the big words and the lack of story.
Kristen
I like the rhythm of this one. It requires some pre-story time practice because it uses the actual names of the dinosaurs and some of them are easy to trip up on. But it was a fun read, the art is bright and enticing, and it went over well in story time.
Susan
I can't believe I don't own this one! This is one of my all-time favorites that I used to read at children's storytime back when I worked for the bookstore. It's great and kids love the rhyme and the "Boomalaka Boomalaka, Whack - Whack -Whack!"
Becky B
Nov 06, 2012 Becky B rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Kids who like dinosaurs
A rhyming picture book about dinosaurs having a dance party. Probably half of the vocabulary will be over the heads of preschool and elementary kids, but they should love the feel of the rhyme and just the fact that the book has dinosaurs in it.
Katey
This is a cute book that I can imagine younger boys would be excited about. There is this fascination with dinosaurs and what they were like. This book is a glimpse into the past. I wonder what it would have been like to be at the dinosaur stomp?
Lauri Quist
This is a fun book for little dinosaur lovers. The pictures are large, colorful and whimsical. Both meat eaters and plant eating dinosaurs dance and romp through this rhyming book. You will want to dance along too as you read this book.
Tara
Oh this was VERY well received in our house, by both kids. They loved the illustrations. They loved the rhymes. And MOM liked that the dinosaur names were in it. I learned a lot reading it, so it was fun for all of us.
Karolinde (Kari)
I'll admit that part of the reason I love this book is that I read it to Duncan almost every night when he was little. I could never read it without catching the beat or developing a drawl.
Amber
We got this book a week ago at the library and I have read it to the kiddos at least 15 times. They like it and it is pretty cute, but some of those darn dinosaur names are so hard to pronounce!
Vicki
Dance and bop along with the Stegasaurus and T-Rex in this cute dinosaur book. The dinosaurs love to rock n roll especially on Saturday at the Dino Stomp. Great book for pre-schoolers!
Karen
Ethan just loves dinosaurs and when I saw this at the library, I knew I had to have it. We both learned some new dinosaurs' names. It's a very fun book to read. I even liked it.
Ashley
This is a great picture book! I've loved it since before kindergarten and still enjoy the colourful pictures and fun story.
Rainey
The pictures were pretty decent but the author tried so hard to include dinosaur nomenclature and rhymes that the story suffered.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Fun, I know my students will be able to help me with the dinosaur names. Music teacher might enjoy doing with students.
P.K.
Fuchsia Rascal
this was fun and probably great to read aloud to children. too bad it unleashed a brontosaurus that destroyed our library.
Anne Robertson
Cute story about dancing dinosaurs. Good for use with rhyming words and creating rhythm with words and patterns.
Christie Rice
This is such a fun interactive rhyming book. This book also includes vocabulary from prehistoric times.
Tracy Morton
This book is like a knock off of Dinosaurumpus and it is not nearly as good.
Will work well for dinosaur storytimes and for music and movement programs.
TheTinyBikeGirl
Good book for use in learning for practicing sounding words out with phonics.
Paula
A kid that likes dinosaurs loves this book. To long for story time
  • Dinosaur's Binkit
  • Dinosaur Roar! Board Book
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • I Love Trains!
  • Moose Tracks!
  • Moosetache
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Tyrannosaurus Drip
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Board Book
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
Carol Diggory Shields was inspired to write SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE DINOSAUR STOMP after "being called a Nagosaurus by my five-year-old," she admits. "I started playing with the idea of partying dinosaurs who were scientifically accurate (more or less), and somehow in the prehistoric ooze of my brain, SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE DINOSAUR STOMP took shape." Her rocking prehistoric party proved a hit with b...more
More about Carol Diggory Shields...
Wombat Walkabout The Bugliest Bug Food Fight! Lunch Money: And Other Poems About School Lucky Pennies and Hot Chocolate