Start by marking “Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp” as Want to Read:
Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp

Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp

Dancing dinosaurs! Reading aloud has never been so much fun!
What did the dinosaurs do for fun? What really happened when the Jurassic gang wanted to let off some steam? They danced, of course! They rocked and rolled; they twirled and tromped! They had themselves a Dinosaur Stomp! With illustrations by Scott Nash that leap off the page like a raptor doing the fandango, Car
Published February 18th 2002 by Candlewick (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp

Nov 27, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I've read this children's book quite a few times but I never realized I hadn't tracked it on GR so after completing the 50/50 book challenge for this year I placed this here so I don't forget it.

It was my Mum who put me onto this book when I worked with a child who LOVED dinosaurs and I mean to the point of high obsession. This book is great for young children because it's got rhymes and lovely colourful pictures illustrating dinosaurs dancing!! Basically it's a story about dinosaurs who are goi
Savanna
Jan 22, 2013 Savanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit, boys, 90s
Summary: Word goes out among the dinosaurs that there is going to be a big party so all of the dinosaurs get ready for it: washing and curing their tails. Then the party begins. It is a really wild party, so wild that is makes the volcanos erupt and earthquakes happen. The dinosaurs get tired and go to sleep in the swamp where they still sleep to this day.

The only thing in this book that parents might find controversial is the part mentioning earthquakes and volcanos. Some people don’t believe e
Tom
Mar 01, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing
This is the most scintillating book I've ever had the joy of laying my eyes upon. From start to finish the rhyming and artistry the book contains are full to the brim of élan and charm. It's simply the superior children's book however don't let that deter you. This is an avant-garde novella that will brighten your evening with it's bona fide charisma and will make you seem like a dilettante reading enthusiast.

Other books are simply a fiasco in comparison, and the rhyming in those books seem lik
Naleni Persaud
Jul 02, 2013 Naleni Persaud rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what the dinosaurs did for fun? What really happened when the Jurassic gang wanted to let off some steam? They danced, of course! They rocked and rolled, they twirled and tromped! They had themselves a dinosaur stomp! Join Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Duckbill, Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Brontosaurus and other rockin’ dinosaurs at the biggest, loudest, wildest party ever! Boomalacka boomalacka! Whack! Whack! WHACK!
This is a great book for rhyming. My class were able to easily un
Lexi.vernaglia
Apr 19, 2012 Lexi.vernaglia rated it really liked it
This is a book that I would read to young children. It has very colorful pictures, cool dinosaurs, and it rhymes. I would definitely keep a child’s attention, because it is also not too long. This is about a cool party that is going to happen at the Dinosaur Stomp that night. All the dinosaurs are getting ready for the night. They are scrubbing their nails and curling their tails. Once they were all ready they headed over to the Dinosaur Stomp where the older ones got in groups and talked togeth ...more
Vivian
Feb 18, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Half the fun of this story comes when you stand up a join the party with your little ones.
Pantomime brushing teeth, scrubbing all over, and slicking down your scales.
Get ready, set, go and run in place.
Pantomime sipping punch and making your hands into binoculars to look around.
Pantomime strumming strings and banging drums. Shake it up with a "boomalacka boomalacka Whack, whack, whack!"
Spin around and jump up and down and do a little dance. Twist and bump and rap and jump.
Open and shut hands to
Chelsea
Dec 02, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shelves: science, rhyme
Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp is a fun book for kids about what Dinosaurs do to have a little fun! Genre could definitely be discussed with the younger groups with a book like this, and rhyming helps keep the kids attention. The description of words and onomatopoeias can be brought up as well. Basically the book is sweet an short, the dinosaurs get ready for the party, the dinosaurs go to party, and the dinosaurs have fun all night long!
Ann M. Noser
Feb 12, 2015 Ann M. Noser rated it it was amazing
My daughter is OBSESSED with dinosaurs, so I've read a lot of dinosaur books.
You might call me an expert.
This book is one of the best. It's cute. It's clever--I mean, it takes a special someone to rhyme words with dinosaur names.
It's fun to read--the rhymes dance off your tongue.
The pictures set the tone with perfect pitch.
This book came from the library, but would be one I'd love to own and reread over and over again.
Mallory Campbell
Dec 03, 2016 Mallory Campbell rated it did not like it
I'm counting what I have read to the first graders because I don't have time to read real books during the day and I have a goal to meet- part (?)

I couldn't pronounce the different types of dinosaurs and the kids became suspicious of my literacy.
Hope Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read while children are beginning to learn about dinosaurs. It lists all the different types of dinosaurs and you can explore each type of dinosaur. Also, it is a great book for a lesson on rhythm. It talks about beats and steps and you can create a whole lesson about rhythm or a have the children create a song for the book.
Danie Cutter
Nov 07, 2011 Danie Cutter rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Little miss really enjoyed this, she's hugely into dinosaurs at the moment and it gelled with my liking for nice rhymes so making it easy to read out loud.

An unexpected find as this was part of our nursery's book chest, it's not one I would choose myself but that's what "book clubs" are all about.

Well worth a read both for children and the narrators!
Hannah
May 09, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
There's a grandmother that comes to our story times and likes to correct me in front of the kids if I pronounce things wrong, so this was a poor choice for me. There are a lot of difficult Dino names. That being said, the kids loved it. And I like books that attempt to educate kids about dino names rather than saying "long necks" or some equivalent.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Sep 04, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Thirty one pages of rowdy, rhyming rumpus slide sneakily to a snuggly spread of catchy yawns and snores in this satisfying bedtime bash.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Rebecca Snodgrass
I'm reading this to my K kids on Wednesday and we are going to have fun making a Kindergarten stomp with music and movement. It's a great 10 minute little activity kids can do to get their wiggles out. The Dino names are kind of hard to pronounce so make sure to practice this book a few times before you read it to your kids!!!
Susan
Apr 29, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children
I can't believe I don't own this one! This is one of my all-time favorites that I used to read at children's storytime back when I worked for the bookstore. It's great and kids love the rhyme and the "Boomalaka Boomalaka, Whack - Whack -Whack!"
Heather
Apr 21, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: own
If only I knew all the pronunciation for the dinosaur names. Found myself tripping over this rhyming text because I just couldn't pronounce them quick enough to keep the rhyme going. Once I get it down it's sure to be a hit.
Kristen
I like the rhythm of this one. It requires some pre-story time practice because it uses the actual names of the dinosaurs and some of them are easy to trip up on. But it was a fun read, the art is bright and enticing, and it went over well in story time.
Katey
Dec 06, 2010 Katey rated it really liked it
This is a cute book that I can imagine younger boys would be excited about. There is this fascination with dinosaurs and what they were like. This book is a glimpse into the past. I wonder what it would have been like to be at the dinosaur stomp?
Becky B
Nov 06, 2012 Becky B rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Kids who like dinosaurs
A rhyming picture book about dinosaurs having a dance party. Probably half of the vocabulary will be over the heads of preschool and elementary kids, but they should love the feel of the rhyme and just the fact that the book has dinosaurs in it.
Lauri Quist
Oct 16, 2012 Lauri Quist rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun book for little dinosaur lovers. The pictures are large, colorful and whimsical. Both meat eaters and plant eating dinosaurs dance and romp through this rhyming book. You will want to dance along too as you read this book.
Tara
Aug 31, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Oh this was VERY well received in our house, by both kids. They loved the illustrations. They loved the rhymes. And MOM liked that the dinosaur names were in it. I learned a lot reading it, so it was fun for all of us.
Di Parsons
Jun 17, 2015 Di Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was an absolute favourite when my son was little! Great illustrations -- bold colours on coloured backgrounds.. Clever rhythm and lots of tricky dinosaur names to giggle over as you try to read them
Kelly
Oct 08, 2012 Kelly rated it did not like it
Illustrated by Scott Nash. Although it has great rhythm and rhymes, there isn't much story to the story. Lots of dinosaur names are used which makes it cumbersome to read. I think that kids would lose interest with all of the big words and the lack of story.
Christie Rice
May 02, 2010 Christie Rice rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun interactive rhyming book. This book also includes vocabulary from prehistoric times.
Fuchsia Rascal
Sep 26, 2013 Fuchsia Rascal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
this was fun and probably great to read aloud to children. too bad it unleashed a brontosaurus that destroyed our library.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Fun, I know my students will be able to help me with the dinosaur names. Music teacher might enjoy doing with students.
P.K.
Amber
Nov 13, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
We got this book a week ago at the library and I have read it to the kiddos at least 15 times. They like it and it is pretty cute, but some of those darn dinosaur names are so hard to pronounce!
Heather
May 30, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The book starts with dinosaur footprints from the dance, making it a really great introduction to talking about trace fossils and fossilized footprints with small kids.
Ashley
Jul 25, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book! I've loved it since before kindergarten and still enjoy the colourful pictures and fun story.
Adrienne
Sep 13, 2016 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really fun book. The rhymes were really good, which isn't always the case with kids' books. The illustrations were great.
  • Dinosaurs Galore!
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • I'm Bad!
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Bear Feels Scared
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • One Ted Falls Out of Bed
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
  • All the Colors of the Earth
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
Carol Diggory Shields was inspired to write SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE DINOSAUR STOMP after "being called a Nagosaurus by my five-year-old," she admits. "I started playing with the idea of partying dinosaurs who were scientifically accurate (more or less), and somehow in the prehistoric ooze of my brain, SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE DINOSAUR STOMP took shape." Her rocking prehistoric party proved a hit with b ...more
More about Carol Diggory Shields...