Start by marking “Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)” as Want to Read:
Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)

Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones #14)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  8,028 Ratings  ·  379 Reviews
It's a mushy gushy mystery!

Hurray! February 14—Valentime's Day, as June B. calls it—is just around the corner. Junie B. can't wait to see all the valentimes she'll get. But she never expected a big, mushy card from a secret admirer! Who is this secret mystery guy, anyway? Junie B. is determined to find out!
69 pages
Published by Scholastic (first published September 28th 1999)

Deana
Sep 03, 2011 Deana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents who like to read to their 5-7 year old children.
One of the little girls who I brought to the zoo on Saturday had two Junie B. Jones books with her, and asked if I'd like to read one. I eagerly accepted, having heard good things about them and wanting to know what all the fuss was about.

This was a really cute book, I'll admit. I of course knew the ending well before the end, but that's probably because I'm 28 and not 7. Junie gets a fancy mushy valentine from a secret admirer and then sets out to solve the mystery of who sent it. Along the way
Genna
May 19, 2015 Genna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot:
In this book Junies' class is celebrating Valentines Day which is one of Junies favorite holidays. When Junies teacher tells the class they are going to have a party, she gets very excited and starts making her cards. When Valentines Day finally comes, Junie is very excited until she only gets 16 cards from her class when she should have gotten 17. Junie can not figure out who did not give her one, and she goes crazy trying to figure who it is but she does not figure it out. The next day wh
Sarah Sammis
Dec 09, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes books just find me. It seems that the books that find me end up being the most enjoyable reads. My most recent read of a book like this is Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime by Barbara Park. This one is a book that Sean picked out at the last BookCrossing meeting by pulling it off the Dublin Friends of the Library shelf.

The title and the cover illustration told me it would be a quick read but I had the feeling I wouldn't enjoy it. It just seemed too cute. I decided to give i
Kori Looker
Jan 04, 2013 Kori Looker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally love Junie B. Jones books. They're awesome. They're easy to read in a short period of time. In this book, Junie is excited to go to school for Valentines Day to share valentines and candy with her classmates. Junie gets a mushy gushy valentine from her secret admirer but doesn't know who it is! She finds out in the end but I'm not going to ruin the book for you so you must read it! I recommend this book to third to fourth graders and above. Even an older adult would enjoy this book. ...more
Tatiana
Confession: I've never read a Junie B. Jones book. I know...bad teacher, bad. On the bright side, I think I know why I haven't. It's because I have never had the opportunity to read a Junie B. aloud to students. It's the best thing. Go try it. Find children and read. Now. It's just the most fun read aloud ever.

Alright, fangirling over.

Seriously, though, this Valentine's Day edition of the series is predictable, but the kids eat it up. We had a comprehension guide to go along with each chapter,
Kaylin
Jun 01, 2015 Kaylin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book even thought it was a very short book. This book is told in first person perspective and is very funny. This book is about a girl named Junie B. Jones and it is valentines day! WOOHOO! So Junie B.'s class is celebrating valentines day by giving away cards to children in their class. Junie B. gets a secret admirer card and is trying to find out who it is. Who is it? Read the book to find out!
Robin Rousu
These are so ridiculously funny to read aloud. Highly recommended for ages 5-8.
Alivia
Apr 22, 2017 Alivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book 6 stars I would go crazy!
Scott Middleton
Mar 05, 2016 Scott Middleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Dear Readers who love Junie B. Jones books,

Have you read Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine? I think it is a really stunning book, if it was for a race. If I were the judge I would have my mind blown because the author, Barbara Park uses a lot of details to explain the character's feelings and why exactly do feel that way. She tells the reader why Junie B. Jones does those strange things.

Hurray! February 14 it's Valentine's Day, as Junie B. Jones called it just around the corner. Junie
Lisa
Feb 24, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My five year old thought it was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud a few times myself.
Samuel
Jan 08, 2014 Samuel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the book "Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime." This book was one that I didn't enjoy reading, as I found Junie annoying, and a loudmouth. It wasn't that good of a story line and the setting wasn't the best.

The Plot starts with Junie being in room nine, which is kindergarten. Valentines day is coming up, so Mrs., (the teacher) tells the class that they will be having a party. She tells everyone to get one card for each other, and when the party happens Junie only gets 16, with th
Siera Eaton
Feb 25, 2016 Siera Eaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the junie b jones series like I did when I was little. I adore these books because they are so cute. They are all really good teaching tools for teasing and how to deal with it. They catch the attention of children because they can reminisce back to their kinder-first grade years and reflect on them. These books are an easy read which is great for young readers developing their reading skills and they are cute and funny which always keeps the attention of a young child. This girl ju ...more
Julie
This book was not as good as the other Junie B's I have read. But I guess I should have expected that with Junie B. being Mushy Gushy! Most of these I would give 4 stars.
Mary
Jan 11, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Junie's kdgtn class will be celebrating Valentine's Day and they have been asked to bring in a card for everyone. Junie gets the biggest and nicest Valentine, but from her Secret Admirer. She finds out that her admirer is Mean Jim and that the reason he likes her is because she is spunky, but he doesn't want anyone to know that he likes her and that he spent a whole month's allowance on the card for her. She keeps his secret and the two of them are friends.
Lizzie
Jan 24, 2010 Lizzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!Meanie Jim LIKE'S Junie B.!Anyway it was a great book.
Dylan
Aug 12, 2008 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who feel like reading a 20min story
Recommended to Dylan by: my brother
sometimes your lovely valentine can be your worst enemy
Eric Merrill
May 08, 2017 Eric Merrill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so funny! I love how junie B. is so concerned about her secret admier.

This book is so funny! I love how junie B. Is so concerned about her secret admier. I love all the books!
Julie
Jun 01, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-kiddos, 2017
Very cis-gendered, with discussion about what boys like girls to do and be. Otherwise, totally cute with a charming and benign ending
Kaitlin Agnew
May 07, 2017 Kaitlin Agnew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! This gave me 0.5 AR points,, very helpful!! Highly recommend! Read or else!
Rebecca Crawshaw
Jun 08, 2017 Rebecca Crawshaw rated it really liked it
My students read these often, but I never read the Junie B. Jones books as a kid. It was cute. Very much in the kid mindset!
Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2017 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The look on my son's face when the secret admirer was revealed was priceless.
Allie Monahan
Title: Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Genre: Transitional chapter book
Theme(s): Valentine’s Day
Opening line/sentence:
My name is Junie B. Jones.
Brief Book Summary:
Junie B. Jones receives a mushy gushy valentine from a secret admirer. She decides to come up with a plan to figure out who the mystery person is. At the end of the book she discovers who sent the card and the two of them decide to keep it a secret.
Professional Recommendat
N.A. Wolf
Oct 04, 2016 N.A. Wolf rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I read this because I needed to get my reading count back on track. My niece left this on the table so I thought why not. Well for a girl in kindergarten this child is too concerned about boys! Luicille is an awful character to have in a children's book setting a bad example for kids. The sarcasm was probably intended to keep adult entertained but it just made the parents look bad. Honestly this is not the explain I want my kid seeing for how to act.
Joshua D.
My daughter liked it. It was fun listening to her laugh while reading aloud. That said, it's not one of those kids books equally rewarding for an adult.
Chasity Russell
Apr 04, 2016 Chasity Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curricular Connections: I would use this book as an example of what Valentine’s Day is and what it could be like. Then I’d do arts and crafts that would relate to Valentine’s Day and how students would like their cards to look like. Then I’d also have students look at different words from this book and have them make corrections and different interpretations when it comes to words and phrases from the book. The TEKS below will incorporate with these activities.

TEKS:

§110.11. English Language Arts
Haley Barbour

Title: Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine
Author: Barba Park
Genre: Comedy and Humor
Theme(s): Friendship
Opening line/sentence: My name is Junie B. Jones. The B stands for Beatrice. Except I don’t like Beatrice. I just like B and that’s all.
Brief Book Summary: In this Junie B. Jones book its valentines day at school. While her class is exchanging Valenintes she gets a big mushy gushy card from a secret admirer. This book follows her as she trys to figure out who her secret admirer is!
Brittany
Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime is the fourteenth book in the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park. In the Mushy Gushy Valentime, Junie B. Jones class is celebrating Valentine’s Day. When Junie B. receives a special valentine, she tries to solve the mystery and discover her secret admirer.

People either seem to love or hate Junie B. Jones. Her incorrect grammar and crazy behavior drives some parents crazy. Some people think that she is a bad role model young children. If you agree w
Monica Boddie
Feb 27, 2017 Monica Boddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that could be used as a read aloud during whole group for Valentines Day. The kids could listen to the story and then draw a picture or make a Valentines card for someone.
Leslie Nunez
Jan 29, 2015 Leslie Nunez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine was one of my favorite books when I was growing up. This book was one of my favorites because as a little girl I always loved valentines day it was my favorite day of the year. This book is really interesting because the text is well written and fun and funny to read as a child I did not like reading as much but I always looked forward to reading one of Junie B Jones book. They always got my whole attention. In this book junie is excited for Valentine ...more
Rayne
Apr 25, 2013 Rayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childrens 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 09:12PM
  • Horrible Harry and the Dungeon
  • Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)
  • Apple Orchard Race (Ready, Freddy!, #20)
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Day of the Dragon King (Magic Tree House, #14)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...

Junie B. Jones (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook (Junie B. Jones, #9)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal (Junie B. Jones, #10)

“That Grace looked annoyed at me.

"I didn't say you would go to jail, Junie B.," she said. "I just wish you would say the word correctly, that's all.”
14 likes