Start by marking “100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know” as Want to Read:
100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know

100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  282 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
'If people do not believe that mathematics is simple,
it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.'

John von Neumann

Mathematics can tell you things about the world that can't be learned in any other way. This hugely informative and wonderfully entertaining little book answers one hundred essential questions about existence. It unravels the knotty, clarifie
Published October 16th 2008 by Bodley Head (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know

Lynn
Apr 06, 2010 Lynn rated it really liked it
If you like math, you'll like this book, but you can probably get along just fine without knowing any of the 100 things about the mathematics in the world; most people do. In fact, most people would probably not be at all interested in the majority of things in this book.

If you don't like math, maybe you will like it after reading this book. But you probably won't. I've found that the things I find most exhilarating about math bore a lot of people.

Jerry Smith
Jan 29, 2013 Jerry Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: science, 2013-read
As a dedicated math hater and one who finds mathematical expressions of anything confusing and frustrating, I thought this might be a good book for me. It is quite fun and there are several items of interest among the 100 chapters.

The book is written in small snippets - each chapter tackles a differnet topic and they are all 2 to 5 pages long at the most. Some are much more mathematical than others. Indeed, some seem to be only very remotely related to math which makes the subject for that chap
Wesley
Jun 15, 2009 Wesley added it
I found this book in Barnes and Nobles and subsequently got it as a birthday present. Not wanting to disappoint my parents, I decided to read it. Despite it being boring at first, I actually found it to be quite enjoyable midway through. The book essentially explains how all your common occurances in life link back to mathematics. My personal favorite is an explanation of why people often gripe about find themselves in the longer line at a store or a post office. The simple explaination is becau ...more
David
This collection of short, essay style chapters (100 chapters in 277 pages)is great for random reading (as I have done while eating breakfast). For those with an interest in sports, there are a great many interesting sports related math items, though the sports include those which are opaque to American readers, such as Cricket. The math is not complicated, but the thinking involved does cause the reader to delve into real world issues, well beyond sports alone.

This is precisely the kind of book
Vértes Judit
Nov 07, 2015 Vértes Judit rated it it was amazing
I didn't know I didn't know it. Now I know that I didn't know it.
Maurizio Codogno
Jan 07, 2016 Maurizio Codogno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: divulgazione
NOTA: questo libro è anche disponibile in italiano (100 cose essenziali che non sapevate di non sapere, tradotto per Mondadori da Elena Mereghetti) ma io ho letto la versione originale.

Questo libro è della serie "curiosità e spigolature": cose che non meritano di avere un libro tutto per loro ma messe insieme raggiungono una massa critica. Rispetto a Math Geek di Raphael Rosen, che ha la stessa struttura composta da cento capitoletti scorrelati tra di loro e di argomento matematico o fisico, il
Cheryl Gatling
I was attracted to this book by its clever title. Although I would quibble that most of the things in the book are not essential (you could live a very satisfactory life without ever knowing any of them, and most people do), the subtitle "Math Explains Your World" is very apt. There is a formula for figuring out how many baseball cards to buy in order to get a full set, a formula for figuring out how long an institution is likely to last, a formula for figuring out how high to build a wall so a ...more
Simon Watkins
Jan 24, 2014 Simon Watkins rated it really liked it
I think this book is most likely to appeal to those who already have a good grounding in mathematics and physics, but have never thought to apply them to the mundane or quirky. For example, there are brief articles on queue selection, how to run a marathon, roller coaster design, the life-saving value of calculus, how to win the lottery (not that helpful, actually), how to get a smooth ride on a bike with square wheels (still less helpful, but surprising). Each section is but two to three pages ...more
Peter
Jan 12, 2013 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This is a neat little nonfiction book, easy to read in short snippets (which of course is why I read it straight through - no, seriously, it's less tiring than one great big book). I'd heard many of the things the title claims I "didn't know" before, and some of them are only very tangentially related to math, but it's well-written and fun to read anyway. I especially liked the Brit-centric writing; nonfiction books intended primarily for US audiences often have a certain air of hypersensitivity ...more
Erik
Dec 20, 2015 Erik rated it liked it
Some things i did know that i did know, somethings that i didnt know that i did know, some things that i know that i didnt know.

Theres some nice warmth to narrator in this book which makes it less dry than it would be otherwise. Some topics have too much detail, some not enough for the complex mathematics they are trying to present. I think if they cut it down to 50 topics and polished those heavier, it would have been better.
Jiwan Beth
It sounds a lot more exciting than it was in my opinion. A few interesting stories, but it took me quite a while to get through this book.

Not as good as for example Freakonomics!
Michael
Oct 14, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is comprised of 100 short chapters of 2-3 pages in length. I spent a week reading this book (it feels more like reading a blog where the author's goal is brevity), and a day later....I can probably name 5 memorable topics, and 2 were interesting enough for me to wikipedia the idea presented in the short chapter. And probably half the topics will be very familiar to those people who would possibly check this book out from the library. The book seems to be a series of "abstract" summaries ...more
Nick
Aug 01, 2009 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book tries really hard to make mathematics interesting but even after compressing so many different short stories into brief chapters that cover a couple of pages each, I still couldn't find the topics covered to be at all interesting. There were a few nuggets in there that made it semi-worthwhile though, such as the mention of a couple of obscure and funny incidents and/or websites. "Pylon of the Month" is one of those sites.

Skim. Don't read. Definitely don't purchase.
Kris McCracken
Nov 02, 2013 Kris McCracken rated it liked it
This book explores one hundred conundrums, questions and queries through the lens of mathematics. The book runs through infinite monkeys banging out Shakespearean plays on typewriters, your odds of winning the lottery, horse races, divorce, Google, game theory, infinity and chaos; there is much to enjoy here even if Maths is something other than your strong point. While the book is (happily) not dumbed down at all, it remains jammed to the brim with equations sure to make you squirm.
María Teresa
Sep 01, 2012 María Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was really interesting because it was all based on math explained on simple ways and contained a lot of really interesting things about our world most of the time we don't notice. It also contained some things I already knew and some others that I wouldn't consider essential but all of them were really interesting; for example: did you know that there are bicycles with squared wheels? (and they actually work)
Ben
Jul 16, 2010 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an engineer and fairly geeky person, I did know I did know a lot stuff in this book already. And I think even non-geeks would know some of these things. Or at least know they don't know it...

Some of the explanations would have been easier to understand with a diagram, equation, or chart. And I think the author could have gone deeper on some topics.
Christian
Jul 30, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that one can learn a great deal from, indeed! It incorporates many everyday things that affect our lives and analyzes them from a concise mathematical perspective! There is quite a few chapters dealing with physics topics as well, such as mechanics, special and general relativity as well! So, I definitely recommend this book!
Khalid
Jan 23, 2009 Khalid rated it liked it
Shelves: already-read
An interesting book. This book contains 100 things that are not really essential but interesting, and most of them I didn't know. These things are usually mathematical or physical in nature. Some are extremely interesting, and others are somewhat dull. It's a great book for real light reading; some of the things mentioned really make you think!
Craig Jorgensen
Oct 22, 2009 Craig Jorgensen rated it liked it
You probably know some of the "100 things" already, but there are going to be some new things also. Great book to read in bite-size chunks, since each of the "100 things" is just a few pages and there is no real continuity between them; so you can pick it up and read a few chapters whenever you have a few minutes.
Mariana
Jun 15, 2013 Mariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Para quem gosta de Matemática este livro é simplesmente fantástico. Quem não gosta, ficará interessado em alguns temas mas noutros achará que o autor utilizou demasiadas fórmulas para explicar os seus raciocínios, o que que complica um pouco a vida a quem não está familiarizado com essa área do saber.
Ken Rideout
Aug 12, 2009 Ken Rideout rated it liked it
It was kind of like reading a series of 100 random blog entries about random things from the mind of a mathematician. Some were great observations, some were kind of lame. A great casual read since each of the 100 chapters were only 2-3 pages and you could skip around easily.
Barbm1020
Oct 11, 2013 Barbm1020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a really interesting book and a quick read. Some of the math is beyond me, but that's not why I only gave it 4 stars. The book is very Brit-centric, which made it a little less accessible for an American audience. Not a flaw really, just a caveat for future readers.
Thom
Mar 20, 2010 Thom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Should really be titled 100 blog entries you might want to read. Then again, you might not. I think the best was #100, as I had not heard of the global village "State of the Village Report" or it's revisions.

Ellena Lawrence
Jun 08, 2012 Ellena Lawrence rated it it was amazing

Good book for anyone who likes math and critical thinking some of the ideas/math concepts are a little tricky if you don't have a background in math. Even if you're not a math buff some of the ideas will change the way you think about everyday life
Mike
Dec 20, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some fun columns. I think it would be better if I understood more about math (what with all the formulas and all). That said, the parts I did understand were really interesting (such as why they use triangles to build power towers).
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
Not what I expected, I skimmed it super fast, most just read the intros, way too much math - yes, I know it is in the math section so what did I expect, really? Ummm, I expected more? Anyway, moving on...
William Lubold
Jan 03, 2011 William Lubold rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By all rights, I should have loved this book. I did not. It takes a special kind of writer to take an interesting topic and make a boring book out of it. And by "special," I mean, "bad." There you go.
William
The book covers a lot of interesting topics, but just not in very much depth. Many of the topics felt incomplete to me, and many did not seem all that mathematical. Still, it was probably worth the read.
Sean
Oct 27, 2014 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Of course there were awesome things, but overall, mostly pretty boring stuff. Each "thing" is presented within a page or two which doesn't allow for much discussion or consideration.
Cassie
Jul 12, 2010 Cassie rated it it was ok
this promised to be an interesting read, but the entries were short and sometimes seemed rushed. it might have benefited from having fewer chapters and going into more detail.
  • Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • How to Dunk a Doughnut: The Science Of Everyday Life
  • How Math Explains the World: A Guide to the Power of Numbers, from Car Repair to Modern Physics
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • The Big Book of Brain Games: 1,000 PlayThinks of Art, Mathematics & Science
  • Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • One to Nine: The Inner Life of Numbers
  • Practical Wisdom: The Right Way To Do the Right Thing
  • Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature
  • The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
  • The Best American Science Writing 2010
  • Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Even Happier: A Gratitude Journal for Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment
  • Wetware: A Computer in Every Living Cell
  • The Best American Science Writing 2009
72043
John D. Barrow is a professor of mathematical sciences and director of the Millennium Mathematics Project at Cambridge University and a Fellow of the Royal Society.

He was awarded the 2006 Templeton Prize for "Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities" for his "writings about the relationship between life and the universe, and the nature of human understanding [which] have c
More about John D. Barrow...

“Any universe simple enough to be understood is too simple to produce a mind able to understand it

-Barrow's Uncertainty Principle”