Start by marking “Hug a Bug” as Want to Read:
Hug a Bug

Hug a Bug

A tiny squeeze is all it takes. With this simple action you can turn a frown into a smile and show that you care. One hug can mean everything, so hug your mom, hug your dad, hug your sister or your brother, and hug your friend.

Eileen Spinelli and Dan Andreasen create a sweet, simple, and poetic picture book about the power of a loving hug that is a sure bet to brighten

Published January 1st 2009 by HarperCollins (first published December 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hug a Bug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug a Bug

M.
Sep 18, 2013 M. rated it it was amazing
The power of a hug.
Amber
Oct 28, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
"Hug a bug" is a picture book by Eileen Spinelli, it is illustrated by Dan Andreasen. It is intended for children from birth to 5 years (N). Hugs. This book is all about hugs! It follows a little girl as she runs about her town hugging everything she can. This book is easy to read and comprehend. It is simple, straight-forward and to the point which is great for young readers. I gave this book 4 stars because I have fond memories tied in with it. This was the first book that was given to me as a ...more
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it it was ok
This book was very cute- it shows the little girl hugging everyone and everything in site. (Her parents, her teddy bear, the mailman, the chef, the librarian..etc) And although I thought it was cute, I'm not sure i would use it in my classroom. Hugging is one thing that has been discouraged in our society, there are too many issues behind it. I certainly wouldn't want to encourage my students to go hugging their mailman, or the local chef; this could cause an outrage.
Chelsea Christophel
Sep 28, 2011 Chelsea Christophel rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for young readers! The illustrations were extremely animated and relatable to children. The words were also big enough to see if reading aloud to a class and also in short, simple sentences. The last word of every sentence rhymed with the previous one, which made the book that much more entertaining.
Josiah
Apr 01, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
This book has a great deal of sweetness to it, and as always I love the familiar Eileen Spinelli touch. In my thinking, this would have been a major contender for the 2009 Caldecott Medal. I just really, really enjoyed every page of this story, and I would suggest for anyone to take the short time it takes to read it. Hugging is awesome! :-D
Ina
Feb 17, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
With rhyming text and soft, colorful illustrations the reader is introduced to a happy little girl who believes the world just needs more hugs. She reminds us that we should "hug the cook and hug a book...hug your pillow...hug your pet" and even suggests that we hug the mailman! She tells us to hug a grouch...and that even grouches can't resist the sweetness of a hug.
Jeannie
Cute rhyme about hugs. I can see how this book could receive some criticism for hugging everyone (including bullies and the postman) and everything (bugs and paintings) if it were to be taken literally, but just as a "for fun" rhyme, it's very cute.
Samantha
Apr 28, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book all about the power of the hug. Would use in the morning of the first week so school. If you are going to have your students hug to great each other you could use this book to introduce how hugs make everything better.
Tricia
Feb 21, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
endearing illustrations. book does better with short rhymes and falters when it gets to the "lesson". i wouldn't recommend hugging a grouch, as i am one and personal space is a very touchy area when one is grouchy.
Sandy
Apr 09, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I liked this book. Too many times people are told not to hug because it may cause problems. I wouldn't tell kids to go around and hug strangers but friends, pets and books are great things to hug. I thought the illustrations were cute but kind of old fashioned.
Alissa
Feb 21, 2012 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the illustrations, but the words lacked substance. A girl goes around hugging various people. She teaches her friend that even when you don't want to be hugged, sometimes that is just what you need. When you get hugged, you want to share the hug with others.
Rusty Gregory
Feb 02, 2013 Rusty Gregory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
"Hug your darling"

The short story and illustrations went together beautifully. This was a fun little read with awesome simplified illustrations. Loved it.
Michelle
Apr 23, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Love Eileen Spinelli. This is an adorable book about hugging and even grumpy ones can be turned in to happy, hug-loving people.
Megan
Dec 31, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Very adorable, but I probably couldn't use it during a storytime as it encourages children to hug everyone around them, including strangers.
Alice
Aug 21, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars I don't love hugs, but in this case, a positive hug can be contagious! Share a hug and it could make someone grouchy happy and then they pass the hug along!
Amy Brown
Feb 11, 2009 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations more than the poem but still cute. A girl hugs everything, even a grouch who later learns to hug.
Erin
Jan 08, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
The nice illustrations save this sappy and overly sentimental book - the ryhming text helps too, but I'm a little tired of the hugging mania myself.
Edna
Aug 03, 2009 Edna rated it liked it
Another "almost too cute" book; very sweet with simple and endearing and "soft" illustrations - you'll want to hug the book!
Storytime Elizabeth
Storytime Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2011
Jeslyn Zhou
Jeslyn Zhou rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Judi Ferrari
Judi Ferrari rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it it was ok
"hugging, hug everyone, cute rosy cheeked children illustrated"
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2009
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2009
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Maisy Albaugh
Maisy Albaugh rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2015
melissa
melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...