Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand (Fullmetal Alchemist Light Novels #1)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  3,991 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Edward and Alphonse Elric continue their search for the Philosopher's Stone in the mining town of Xenotime where it is rumored that someone is trying to create gold out of stone to revive the dying city. When they arrive, they discover two brothers, Russell and Fletcher Tringham are using the Elric brothers' names to continue their father's research in the alchemic lab run ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist

ソードアート・オンライン1 by Reki KawaharaFullmetal Alchemist by Makoto InoueDeath Note by NisiOisiNBook Girl and the Suicidal Mime by Mizuki NomuraFullmetal Alchemist by Makoto Inoue
Light novels released in English
2nd out of 259 books — 68 voters
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru TanigawaSpice & Wolf, Vol. 1 by Isuna HasekuraKino no Tabi by Keiichi SigsawaThe Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi OnoWelcome to the N.H.K. by Tatsuhiko Takimoto
Ranobes - Japanese Light Novels
62nd out of 110 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Reyes
Jan 23, 2014 Ryan Reyes rated it really liked it
Fullmetal Alchemist: Land of The Sand is a action, adventure, and science fiction novel, written by Makoto Inoue. The book is about Edward and Alphonse who then wandered into a town and wanted to find the philosopher stone, (a stone that grants the user unlimited power of alchemy.) Luckily there was word around town that two other boys are creating their own prototype, but are using the identities of Edward and Alphonse to work on this project.

My favorite character is Fletcher, because this li
Erica Silvermead
Aug 27, 2009 Erica Silvermead rated it it was amazing
wow. allready i have become entranced by th spell binding world of the full metal alchemist. Edward Elric is a 15 year old with a major aditude. he and his brother, Alphonse, had a mishap with alchemy that made Alphonse loos his whole body and cost Edward his leg. Ed then gave up his arm to bind his younger brothers soul into a suit of armor. Now Ed is a state alchemist and they are on a mission to find the sorcerers stone. one problem. they located te stone but there are imposters that are more ...more
Denisse
Aug 23, 2013 Denisse rated it it was amazing
Dear Science/Chemistry/Physics/Alchemy lovers

If you hate anime/manga, that is okay because you will never hate this. This is full of science, adventure, and inspirational messages. In this manga, there are two brothers (Edward an Alphonse Elric aka Elric Bros) who tried to resurrect their mother that's why they want to learn Alchemy. Unfortunately, human transmutation is a taboo because the first and fundamental law of Alchemy is; in order to create something, a substance of equivalent value mus
BrightSideofDeath
Apr 12, 2010 BrightSideofDeath rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I tried reading this a while back and couldn't get through the first couple of pages. I tried again and it gets better after those first few pages. It helps knowing that there is a specific reason for the first few pages being so off. It's neither great nor horrible; it's just an excuse to spend some more time with the characters. It's a shame it couldn't have been up to par with manga. Now that I know I can stand reading these, I think I'm curious enough to try the others.
Samantha
Jun 09, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
The writer really got the characters down pat. =)
Kristen Sharpe
I had wondered if this novel was worth picking up since both stories in it (the main storyline and the "bonus story" in the back) were covered by the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime series. But, there are a number of differences in the adaptation, and particularly the main story was well worth reading. It moves a little slowly at the start, but it all came together nicely in the end.
Stone He
May 08, 2013 Stone He rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, may13
First Story: Edward and Alphonse went into a town once flourished with greens but now a dust bowl. But no one believe them when they introduced their names to the townspeople because two brothers who came in the town claimed that they were the famous Elric brothers. Edward and Alphonse need to find out why and what the imposers are doing and clear their name in front of the town's people.
Second Story: The State alchemist tries to investigate the phantom warehouse. On their way, they started to h
Yvensong
Jun 17, 2015 Yvensong rated it liked it
While searching for more manga on the library computer, I ran into this and one other FullMetal Alchemist story. This reads like fairly well-written fan fiction and was a nice, though not great addition to the Elric brother's saga.
Ari G.
Sep 04, 2014 Ari G. added it
Although I love the Fullmetal Alchemist series, I have to say this book was a disappointment. If you're into FMA, just stick to the way it was originally supposed to be indulged, through its mangas.
Jerry
May 31, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it
I was expecting this to be a manga instead of a print novel, but it ended up being a great surprise. Plenty of fun and adventure.
Aleeya Kirkland-Bonnefoy
Jun 02, 2014 Aleeya Kirkland-Bonnefoy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
This book is awesome. It's like fan fiction book. Read it now.
Ryan
Apr 21, 2015 Ryan added it
it is good
Drump Higa
So cool!
Jenna
Sep 25, 2014 Jenna rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Writing was rather weak, but I'm not sure if it's due to the translation. Fun to see Ed and Al again and makes me want to reread the manga. However, while reading, I kept thinking how much better it would be in manga format. So I suppose it did do its job, but didn't add anything to the work as a whole.
Yvette
Oct 02, 2015 Yvette rated it liked it
I had to get this book used on Amazon, turns out its out of print. I enjoyed the story, but I felt it could've been better given the fact that I looked hard for this book. The bonus story at the end is simply terrible and of the three stars I give this book, the bonus story receives none.
Zoe Toon
Sep 24, 2009 Zoe Toon rated it liked it
It was okay, I guess. I've read that manga so I was familiar with the characters. It was interesting to read a book based on another book (If it makes any since.) but it wasen't written the original author. (Or artist in this case.)
Sad Face
Dec 06, 2009 Sad Face rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, fiction, fantasy
Not written by the original author, but approved by her.

A really cute story for people who like the characters. Feels like another chapter in their timeline that has nothing to do with the main plot.
ladywallingford
Apr 03, 2011 ladywallingford rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I don't know if something was lost in the translation or what but I didn't really feel as if the author got the characterizations quite right. For that reason, I just couldn't fully enjoy the novel.
Deborah Meyer
Sep 22, 2012 Deborah Meyer rated it it was amazing
FML has llkable and unlikable characters. Great story, has action, adventure, suspense and funny. I really enjoyed it. The anime is also good.
Brian
Apr 15, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it
I adore the anime and love the manga, but I found this book dry. "Land of Sand" is unintentionally appropriate here--the book is a literary desert.
Kiku  Honda
Aug 26, 2009 Kiku Honda rated it it was amazing
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nina
Apr 21, 2010 Nina rated it it was ok
Decent story, sub-par writing. The illustrations are infrequent but pretty fun.
Jon Merkley
Aug 10, 2009 Jon Merkley rated it it was ok
Shelves: adandoned
I couldn't stand to read it after reading the same thing in the manga...
The Third Place A Teen Library
F ARA
prose companion to Fullmetal Alchemist
Philip
Sep 22, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
Great book great action and great battle scences
Ben
Dec 16, 2008 Ben marked it as to-read
im lazy i hav it but havent read it
Lijain
Jave
Dec 13, 2012 Jave added it
its good
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Anime Profiles

Fullmetal Alchemist Light Novels (5 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Abducted Alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Valley of the White Petals (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Under the Faraway Sky (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: To Each His Own Bonds (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)