Start by marking “Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Poor People's Movement...

Frances Fox Piven
Preview

Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Have the poor fared best by participating in conventional electoral politics or by engaging in mass defiance and disruption? The authors of the classic Regulating The Poor assess the successes and failures of these two strategies as they examine, in this provocative study, four protest movements of lower-class groups in 20th century America:
The mobilization of the unemplo
Unknown Binding, 381 pages
Published January 1st 1977 by Pantheon Books

To ask other readers questions about Poor People's Movements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor People's Movements

Alex
a very instructive history of 20th century social movements - specifically, the unemployed movement of the Great Depression, the industrial workers' movement of the 30s, the civil rights movement, and the welfare rights' movement of the late 60s.

Piven's argument is that movements succeed through disruption (direct action). disruption causes elites to have to appease movements with reforms, whereas negotiating, lobbying, or other tactics are more easily ignored. Piven also contrasts disruption w
Stas
Unfortunately, i didn’t know about Poor People’s Movements (1977), until Glenn Beck branded Piven a dangerous radical. Having just read Piven’s introduction to the paperback edition of her book, I actually see why Beck would choose her book to lash out against. Her thesis is that worker “organizations endure, in short, by abandoning their oppositional politics”, that concessions made by the elites are a response not to the organizational strength of the movements, but to the chaotic, mass distur ...more
Emily Alvarado
This text is amazing. Surprisingly radical--- its a marxist based analysis of social movements.....very pragmatic with historical examples and extremely well synthesized theories of how political movements succeed/fail
Jacob
Interesting read. Probably the only people (that I am aware of) to suggest that the civil rights movement could possibly be considered a failure, in one respect.
Drick
This is a classic in the study of social movements. The authors were scholar activists in the 1960's and 1970's who looked at the ways poor people's movements in the 1920's and 1960's were able to make signficant gains, but then also lost momentum and saw some of those gains retrenched by the ruling elites. Essentially, the authors posit that the greatest resource that poor and working class people have to initiate change is the capacity to gather large groups of people to create social disrupti ...more
C. Scott
I found this book a little like eating a plate full of spinach every day for lunch. You know it's good for you, but that sure doesn't make you look forward to reading it. That said, there is a lot of good information here. I kind of had to check some of my assumptions about how movements accomplish their goals. Overall I learned a lot.
Mark
Had a hard time getting into this book, but it was worth it in the end. I would actually recommend that potential readers read Howard Zinn's People's History of The United States first, as this would provide a good background. The conclusions drawn from the inter-war industrial strikes were a welcome surprise and the argument concerning the Civil Rights movement similarly new for me, as well as convincing. Finally, the final chapter on the National Welfare Rights Organization was unlike anything ...more
Stefan
Interesting book on the subject of social movements, and the role that political opportunity structures and mass disruption play in their success and/or failure.
Brandon Wu
Compelling and persuasive, but also depressing and kind of disempowering - Piven and Cloward's classic study of how marginalized people in the United States succeed and fail at mobilizing for social change holds up to scrutiny 35 years after its publication. Interestingly, I've heard that today, Piven is somewhat less intensely structural, and is more focused on agency and relational power. That makes me want to read her more recent work, as Poor People's Movements is extremely well-argued but v ...more
Tim
An excellent historical overview and analysis of key movements in the U.S. in the 20th century.
Glen Gersmehl
terrific exploration of social movements
stephanie
absolutely brilliant account of social movements, social theory, and how politics plays its part - looking at how people try to affect the system from the outside. her assessment of power is smart, clear, and well-written, and she never shies from saying that as citizens we should be doing more. piven is the type of person when i think of "patriot", and i mean that as a compliment. it's an astounding work of social criticism and in the end, hope.
cory
Written by veterans of the welfare rights movement, this book analyzes four mass movements in U.S. history in the 1930's and 1960's and draws interesting conclusions about the reasons behind their successes and failures. I don't agree with all the conclusions, but it's definitely food for thought, echoing some themes of "The Revolution Will Not Be Funded."
Steven Peterson
This is another work by the authors of "Regulating the Poor." It probes the question of why poor people's movements succeed--and fail. The authorts develop four case studies, representing the Great Depression Era and the post-war time frame. When can mass defiance work? Piven and Cloward do a nice job in trying to explain that.
Adam
Overall clasic that every organizer should read. I'm looking forward to Piven's new book "Challenging Authority." Here's a blog I wrote on it: http://machete408.wordpress.com/2008/...

Just A. Bean
I learned so much reading this book. It was a bit technical, and tended to repetitive, but really worth the time if you're into mid 20th-century history, or the history of mass movements. Very well thought out, organised and insightful.
Donnie
Jul 30, 2007 Donnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not sure
Shelves: history
This was an informed smack in the face from the world of social science to the face of a wide-eyed liberal arts/american studies major. But the pain felt very nice.
Jessica
Another recommendation from Mr. Wildchild. In depth study of political movements, how they come together and why so many have not achieved a lasting impact.
Felix Kolb
A classic on the outcomes of social movements and still worth reading!
Stoiph
ever hear about the bonus army movement after the great depression? me neither!
B-MO
Very materialist study of why certain movements succeed and fail
Sydney
An exceptional book that will make you think
Aja
Movements against injustice are unstable if they are not involved in policy making and legislation.
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
David Sawtell
David Sawtell is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
Ztb
Ztb added it
Apr 18, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • The Methods of Nonviolent Action
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
  • Detroit: I Do Mind Dying: A Study in Urban Revolution
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict
  • The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America
  • Storming Caesars Palace: How Black Mothers Fought Their Own War on Poverty
  • Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists
  • American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass
  • States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia and China
  • Revolution at Point Zero: Housework, Reproduction, and Feminist Struggle
  • Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists During the Great Depression
  • The Other America: Poverty in the United States
  • The Subversion of Politics: European Autonomous Social Movements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life
  • Stayin' Alive: The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class
  • The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
  • The Long Haul: An Autobiography
  • The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit
Regulating the Poor: The Functions of Public Welfare Challenging Authority: How Ordinary People Change America Why Americans Still Don't Vote: And Why Politicians Want It That Way The New Class War: Reagan's Attack on the Welfare State and Its Consequences Who's Afraid of Frances Fox Piven?: The Essential Writings of the Professor Glenn Beck Loves to Hate