Start by marking “The Secret Garden” as Want to Read:
The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  25 reviews
For generations, readers have enjoyed classic literature. They have delighted in the romance of Jane Austen, thrilled at the adventures of Jules Verne, and pondered the lessons of Aesop. Introduce young readers to these familiar volumes with Great Illustrated Classics. In this series, literary masterworks have been adapted for young scholars. Large, easy-to-read type and c ...more
Published January 31st 2006 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Garden

Nicole
Dec 21, 2011 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every little girl, and any lover of things enchanting
I adore this book.

It's on my "enchanting" bookshelf, which means that it certainly does mean a lot to me.

I remember that as a little girl I always wanted to read it. I would see it at the bookstore, and ask my father for it, and he would say, "No, sugar-pickle, you only want it for the key-necklace that it comes with-you won't read it," while I had full intentions to read it!

Eventually, years later, I remember seeing it at a smaller book store or maybe a department store, and it was the "Great I
Paul Lunger
Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden" is the story of a little girl who stumbles into a garden by accident with magical powers & things that can cure just about anything. The adaptation by Malvina Vogel in the illustrated classics series does the story great care as we don't lose the magic & wonder of Burnett's original story. Each step of the way in this story is a journey worth taking & it a reason why this book will be beloved for years to come.
Deanna
I won a book basket in a raffle and it had this book in it. Overall it was a good book. Of course this version is adapted for kids....so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more as a child since I am currently 20. I didn't find it particularly interesting...but I may pick up the full version one day.
Brynn Hastings
The Secret Garden is a classic novel. It may be tough for inexperienced readers because of the word choice but it will help those readers to broaden their vocabulary. It is a deep, entertaining, beautiful novel.
Sanz
Read aloud to my 7, 5, and 3, year old sons.

"It was awesome!" --7 year old

"It was fun. I liked when Collin got out of his wheelchair...finally." --5 year old.
Weronika
My most liked set book of all time without douubt.
Jeanne Edwards
Read it as an adult and loved it!
Erica
Read this to my daughter - we enjoyed reading it!
Becki Foutz
My mom made me, er, strongly suggested I read, this book when I was a kid. I remember it seemed long at the time, I have no idea how old I was but I think it was before I started school (I started reading when I was three, no joke). I guess it was something she thought would keep me busy. I remember thinking the protagonist was spoiled - it'll be interesting to read as an adult this month for our book club.
Kara Larson
I don't think I'd ever read this book prior to this read with Kate, but it was great. I want to read the full version now.
Christine
I had some trouble getting started, but then it was almost all in one go. One adorable story :)
Mary
I read this book to my girls 6/7 yr. old(Illustrated version). We read about a chapter a night and then I got them the movie. It was fun to watch them compare the book to the movie. I've always loved this story.
Arvesa Osmani
I read this book 2 years ago and I love it very much.I was so confused about the noises at night until Colin was discovered also it was just like a magical moment when the key fits in the door...!
Laura Neff
A favorite, favorite, favorite from childhood! I wished I'd found that garden. What a magical moment when the key fits in the door, and when Colin is discovered...!
The Carrion Librarian
One of my mother's favourite stories, so I read it pretty early on. I remember being absolutely enchanted by the mystery and everyday magic of it all.
Jill
Sadie and I read this together. She LOVES these kinds of books so I just played along.....
Winter Rose
Excellent Illustrated Classic!
Jessie
I haven't read very many classics but the ones that I have are all fabulous!
shelby
it was very different than i had expected
Petra
Egy nehezebbett kiprobaltam volna.
Valette
Mary learned how to cry.
Partridge Public
Feb 19, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-ICB
Margaret Taylor
Margaret Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mariah Kreusch
Mariah Kreusch marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Three Musketeers (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • The Mystery of the Masked Rider (Nancy Drew, #109)
  • Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories
  • Cats at the Campground (Animal Ark, #32)
  • Really Truly Ruthie (American Girls: Kit)
  • King Solomon's Mines
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated Classic Editions) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics) David Copperfield (Illustrated Classic Editions) The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics) Frankenstein