Start by marking “Wat te doen als iemand sterft” as Want to Read:
Wat te doen als iemand sterft

Wat te doen als iemand sterft

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  1,596 ratings  ·  143 reviews
Ellies leven neemt een dramatische wending als haar grote liefde Greg omkomt bij een auto-ongeluk. Een vrouw die bij hem in de auto zat, heeft het ongeluk evenmin overleefd. Zij wordt geïdentificeerd als Milena Livingstone, maar voor Ellie en haar omgeving is zij een onbekende. Alles wijst er echter op dat Greg en Milena een verhouding hadden.
Hoe moet je verder als je era
Published September 27th 2008 by Anthos (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wat te doen als iemand sterft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wat te doen als iemand sterft

Nathalie
Susan
This is only my third Nicci French novel and it's completely different to the first two books I read.

The beginning and end are the page turners that I've come to expect in a Nicci French story. Towards the end I became confused when Ellie's narrative turns into a stream of consciousness. It took me a few re-reads of the paragraph where this begins before I realised that Ellie is talking to her dead husband.

I found the middle of the story almost boring at times, and felt it wasn't grounded in rea
Bern
At first, I felt a bit at odds with What To Do When Someone Dies, mainly due to the clinical and dry attitude of its main character, Ellie. Starting from when two policewomen knock at her door and announce regretfully to her that her husband, Greg, has died in a car accident along with an unknown woman in his copilot seat, Ellie narrates her first person account of her refusal to believe that Greg had been cheating on her with the woman in his car, and of how she resorted to all sorts of things ...more
ruzmarì
I always love Nicci French's novels. The narratives walk a line between horrifically unimaginable and absolutely plausible, so that you find yourself locking every door a bit more attentively when you've finished a book and watching for the details of daily life that can so easily turn against you.

One of the things this writing team does so well is show the survivor of crime as the only person with a true grasp on reality, while the rest of the world goes about its business, quick to label the s
Ingrid Verschelling
Wat te doen als iemand sterft is alweer het elfde boek van het schrijversduo.

Ellie Falkner, een vierendertigjarige meubelrestaurateur, krijgt het verschrikkelijke bericht van de politie, dat haar man is omgekomen bij een auto-ongeluk. Als blijkt dat Greg, haar man, niet alleen in de auto zat maar met een voor Ellie onbekende vrouw komen de vragen als vanzelf bovendrijven met als gevolg achterdocht en onzekerheid.

Iedereen denkt, dat Greg een verhouding heeft gehad met deze vrouw, die Milena Livin
Leslea
Quite a good story - husband killed in car accident with unknown woman in the car with him - his wife is then left to work out if her husband was having an affair and was her marriage all she thought it was. It is ruled as an accident but Ellie decides to believe in her dead husband and thinks it is murder. Off she goes sleuthing! I guessed before the end but still quite an enjoyable read.
Lightblue
Never believe in what they want you to believe
Una storia piena di suspance, su cui non riuscivo a smettere di ragionare e che mi ha fatto pensare che, se mai sarò in grado di scrivere un thriller, vorrei che fosse così. E' vero che il colpevole si capisce già a metà libro e che ci sono alcune cosette un po' tirate per i capelli, ma 4 stelline le merita tutte, se non altro per la protagonista Ellie, un personaggio davvero riuscito.
Letto a Lisbona.
Prestito di Sara.
Melanie Garrett
This started out with much promise. For the first half it's on solid NF territory, where a relatively normal fear (losing one's spouse) escalates into something much more sinister. The question is, what would you do if your spouse were to be killed in an accident, alongside someone you've never heard of, and it starts to become apparent that you've been living a lie without realising it? So far, so very NF. But the problem is that the things the heroine does do are just too far-fetched. While it ...more
Rachael Hewison
For a ‘thriller’ I didn’t find it very thrilling. There wasn’t really any suspense, excitement or even much of a suspicion of murder. I think it was mentioned briefly by Ellie about half way through but the rest of the novel just concentrated on her obsession with her husband and Milena, the woman he died with.

It was very slow going and not a lot was covered in the story. Ellie wavers between believing her husband hadn’t cheated to thinking he had, does a bit of investigating and then the story
Annette Rothery
A rather different scenario. More a "find the truth" than "solve the crime" story that I really enjoyed. I was as keen to find the truth as Ellie the principal character and Nicci French really did create tension, although I didn't know whether I was more frightened for her or by what she was doing and the trouble she could get herself into. If you like a mystery but want a change from the detective and whodunnit murder stories I can certainly recommend that you give this one a try.
Hosay
I've just finished the book and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed : I'm used to read a lot of detective stories and to be honest the plot of this one sounded really great to me. The problem is not the way it's written : Nicci French has a good style and I appreciated reading it. The story is well developed but... what about the end? No spoiler here but when I saw on the back cover that "She" and "Cosmopolitan" had found in it "twists that where unexpected" I felt surprised : there are no tw ...more
Cathy
I'd have given this 2 and a half stars if possible but since it's not worth three I went with this rating. It's different from other NF novels in my opinion.

The first few dozen pages are ok and interesting but the entire middle part bored me endlessly. I love Nicci French novels so this was quite the let down. In the end, I thought the plot was actually good and liked the way everything folded out. It was just getting there that was too painful.
Cyrine
This one was a bit different from the other Nicci French books I've read, but then again, maybe that too was due to the translation.
From the very first start I doubted Tania. When Elly came by Greg's office to pick up his stuff and she said that she had already taken care of it, I felt like she was hiding something. Plus, she didn't really play a big role in the story and if there's one thing I learnt from reading thrillers, it'd be that the person you expect the less to be the bad guy, eventual
Natasha
I'm not entralled by the ending at all. I feel like I've just read words on a page, and it has been a waste of my time. I don't think I will pick up a Nicci French book up again.
Emily
This is a terrific fast-paced thriller about a woman trying to find out
the truth about her recently dead husband.
Maggie Walsh
When Elenor's husband dies in a car crash with a mystery woman everyone assumes that he was having an affair. Elenor doesn't and sets out to find out exactly what happened.

There were things I enjoyed about this book, the writing style, the fact it was a very easy read, the way the story played out, it wasn't something that you had figured out from the start which really annoys me. But I hated Elenor and to a lesser extent her friends, the poor woman has just lost her husband but I still couldn't
Suzannah
Couldn't put down. Excellent.
Carla Acheson
My cousin read this a few weeks ago, and she urged me to read it, saying she couldn’t put it down, but to be honest, I’m not sure I agree.

The premise was good, a young woman, Ellie Falkner, is making dinner one evening, when two police officers knock on her door, bringing the news that her husband, Greg Manning, has been killed in a car crash, and that he was with a woman, a woman Ellie doesn’t know, who was more-than-likely to be Greg’s lover. Ellie refuses to believe it, and while those around
Kerry
Ellie Faulkner is married to Greg Manning, or at least she was until two police officers knock on her door and informed her that he was dead.
He died along side a mysterious woman and now everyone assumes they were two lovers involved in a wild affair. Ellie tangles herself up trying to prove that he was a faithful husband and that this woman had another reason for being in his car, her friends begin to question her sanity and the police begin to question her motive.

This is the first Nicci French
Andrea Hickman Walker
Elsje
Ellie krijgt de schrik van haar leven als op een dag de politie aan de deur staat met de mededeling dat haar man Greg bij een auto-ongeluk om het leven gekomen is. En dat er een vrouw bij hem zat. Waarop iedereen voetstoots aanneemt dat Greg met deze vrouw, Milena, een verhouding moet hebben gehad. De rest van het boek draait om het uitzoekwerk van Ellie: ze moet en zal bewijzen dat Greg geen verhouding met Milena had. Daarbij stuit ze op de nodige aanwijzingen die haar doen vermoeden dat Greg e ...more
Maisarah
Between a 3 and a 4.

Quite brilliantly written. A tad bit twisted. Everyone almost seemed like a suspect. In fact, that was perhaps the best part - it made me question so many possibilities and I'm certainly most impressed by the conclusion chosen for it.

Although the degree of my fondness for it is a little uncertain, it's safe to say that I definitely liked it.
Brigitte
Ellie denkt dat zij een gelukkig huwelijk heeft met Greg, tot de dag dat er 2 politie-agentes voor de deur staan met de trieste mededeling dat haar man is omgekomen bij een auto-ongeluk....de onbekende vrouwe die naast hem zat heeft het ongeluk evenmin overleeft. Ellie gaat op onderzoek uit om de identiteit van deze vrouw te achterhalen en komt daardoor tot over haar oren in de problemen.
Weer een spannende Nicci French, al haalt dit boek het niet bij "nagelbijters" als "Verborgen Glimlach" en "
Mary Monks
Whilst it may not be an outstanding piece of literature, it is a very good yarn! The author has used the style of alternating chapters between the 2 main characters who speak in the first person!!!! It makes you almost desperate to get to find out what happens next!!! I found it hard to put down!!!
Diane
A women's husband is killed in a car crash. With him is a strange woman that no one has ever heard of. He must have been having an affair. This is a modern mystery in the real sense of the genre as Ellie, the widow, tries to come to grips with what has really happened to her husband. BBC made into a TV movie and for good reason. Recommended.
Shelley
i do like a novel where part of the time, one of the characters is pretending to be someone else. it reminds me of watching soap operas when i was a teenager. all that false drama. all that 'waiting until someone finds her out' ... and here it is again. and I like it just the same ...
Jodie
I liked this book, it was an easy read and there were some touching moments, but unfortunately some parts of the plot caused me to roll my eyes.

It begins when a woman gets a knock on the door by the police to be told her husband has been killed in a car accident, so straight away you feel sympathy for her. The twist is that there was another woman in the car with him. Everyone, including the police assume they were having an affair - but the widow does not. She just cannot wrap her head around i
Jitse
Book was fine, but had nothing exciting to it. It's an easy read, good detective but does get repetitive and never really gets going. Most fascinating is the main character playing another person's role. That is really quite ingenious and intriguing.
Erin
I don 't know what to say. This was past down to me by a friend a while ago and I just could not get into it! The story itself was good - but some of the writing was extremely cliche. I found myself forcing to finish all the while picturing the B-rated made for tv movie in my head. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for this book at the time.
Goodreads Librari...: Nicci French cover 8 23 Jan 02, 2015 09:58AM
  • Blauw water
  • Terug naar de kust
  • Daglicht
  • Rendez-vous
  • Oversteken
  • The Coldest Blood (Philip Dryden, #4)
  • De stille zonde (Paul Vegter #1)
  • City of Lies
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Drømmefangeren (Cato Isaksen #2)
  • Zwanenzang
  • Après-Ski
  • Moment You Were Gone
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Killing Me Softly Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2) Beneath the Skin Secret Smile

“Todo el mundo tiene secretos. Todos hacemos cosas que no queremos que se sepan.” 0 likes
“No hace falta estar familiarizado con la muerte para reconocerla.” 0 likes