Start by marking “Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys: True Tales of Love, Lust, and Friendship Between Straight Women and Gay Men” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A celebration of the most important relationship in a straight girl’s life—her gay best friend.

Thanks to iconic duos such as Sex and the City’s Carrie and Stanford and the title characters of Will & Grace, the love affair between straight women and gay men has moved into the mainstream. Never before, though, has a book looked at these friendships in the real world.

Published May 17th 2007 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys

Tatiana
I actually expected relationships between gay men and straight women to be a little more meaningful. First 3 stories were all shopping, fashion, and glitz. Can't bear it any more, I am no Carrie Bradshaw.
Hazel
Stupid, stupid book. There was about one good story, about a gay man who's highschool girlfriend offers to have a baby for him and his partner. Besides that, there were so many mentions of Barbara Streisand, how fabulous gay men are, and how straight the straight women's husbands were that I wanted to die.
Lauren
I originally picked up with book thinking that it would be frothy and glib - like a great episode of Sex and the City featuring Stanford *and* Anthony! What I got was much more substantive and rewarding. The essays alternate between gay male and straight(ish) female authors, and provide every imaginable meditation on the peculiar dynamics found in these pairings. I definitely got the snark and humor I was looking for, but also a very serious inquiry into why gay men and straight(ish!) women get ...more
Cassy
Gabriella
I originally picked this book up this August on a trip to San Francisco- I saw that Cincy Chupak contributed to it, (and I love Sex and the City). This was actually a great collection of stories about relationships, and really gives you a true insight into friendships between women and gay men. I have had only a couple gay friends in my life, but have kind of lost touch with everything else going on in life, but those are the friendships I miss the most out of any....if anything, reading this bo ...more
Linda
Gay guys and their straight female friends writing essays about their friendships, failed lust attacks and lives. I didn't read every essay but I really enjoyed picking it up and randomly reading one, or picking it up and seeking a favorite author (Cecil Castelluci, Bennett Madison, David Ebershoff). Ayelet Waldman reflects on the hate mail she received about her stereotypes and prejudices after writing in Salon.com that she hoped her son would be gay; as always, she disturbs me on so many level ...more
Andrea
Some of the stories were really good, some really didn't move me at all. I enjoyed getting to read about the other perspectives gay men and the girls that love them... I feel like I need to find a best gay guy friend because from the stories I had they seem very fun, and honest :).
Skip
In truthfulness, I only read about three of the essays in this collection.
I found most of this stuff trite and vacuous.
Glad I didn't buy the book. It was quickly returned to the library.

Renee
Great collection of essays telling various relationship and friendship stories. Excellent writers. Very easy to relate.
Elizabeth
After reading the first chapter, I realized how lucky I am to have such a wonderful man in my life.
Anne
Fag hags everywhere will relate to and enjoy these essays :)
Amanda
I loved this anthology..sharp, sad, poignant..
Susan
Oh God! So witty and honest.
ChristyAnne
I'm so happy this book is now in paperback so I can get my own copy! (borrowed from the library).
Because......

A friend of mine often tells the tale of the day we "fell in love".
Another friend of mine and I are "engaged".
I told another friend of mine that I loved dancing w/ him because we could get super raunchy but neither of us had to worry about the other trying to get into our pants.
Another friend of mine and I lovingly tease each about being schoolage "lovers".

All of these men are gay. These
Katrina
I didn't like every story in this collection, but that's inevitable when you're reading such a diverse set of authors. I definitely found a few whose other works I want to check out now.

Overall, this was an excellent book. The section divisions (didn't fit perfectly in all instances, but I liked that it was intended to provide more than the stereotypical Sex and the City idea of fashionable women and their gay confidantes. There's some of that in here (and a Sex and the City writer, at that), bu
Christian
I first learned about this book a while ago when a few of the essays were serialized in the NYTimes. They were pretty good essays, so I was looking forward to reading a book that essentially reflects (the flapcopy uses the term celebrates, but as you'll see, I don't think it's much of a celebration) on the relationship between gay men and straight women. Unfortunately, the best essays were serialized in the Times, and I really could have saved myself some time and money by just keeping those (wh ...more
Amelia
Mar 08, 2014 Amelia marked it as no-way-jose
I can't even express how patronising towards gay men this is, like all gay men are camp, love shopping and talk like they're Barbie or something... No.
M O
Such a fun read, especially for every hag who's had a fag! We all have our own gay BFFs, but there's something so delicious in indulging in other fun, fabulous and forever friendships between girls and gays. Stories ranges from light and funny ones focusing on fashion to heart-wrenching stories on how guys finally came out to their best friends. This book makes you realize the power of the bond formed by a girl and gay guy, joined by the same female spirit. I laughed, I sighed, I remembered my o ...more
m_miriam
All of the essays in this collection are fine representations of the theme and none of the essays in this collection particularly stand out to me; they really feel like commissioned pieces, rather than organic contemplations. The pieces I enjoyed more than others were authored by Andrew Soloman, Ayelet Waldman, and Bennett Madison. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than as a travel/filler read; borrow it from the library next time you're going to be on plane, tra ...more
Rekha
I liked it, but I wanted to like it so much more. It was way too New-York-centric and the essays were all very similar to each other. There were a couple of pieces that stood out to me though, and it does do a fine job of celebrating these relationships. A feel-good, light read- nothing very political or earth-shattering here. It's just exactly what one might expect, which can be a good thing if you don't want to be surprised or challenged.
Kim
It took me approximately 2 years to get through this book. Mixing writing styles and stories kept things interesting, but some of the relationships were quite fickle. However truthful the writers were, it didn't seem to link with what I had envisioned the cohesiveness to mean, collectively. It's not like a "Chicken Soup for the LGBTQIA Soul", but it's not a depressive, beat-you-over-the-head-with-our-self-righteousness, kinda book either.
Jenny
Dec 12, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read
Scott
No, there wasn't much terribly deep about the stories but I'm not sure that was the intent. Gay men and their fruit flies have always been known for quite superficial relationships. Yes, there are deep ones, but many are superficial.

The stories were cute though nothing spectacular.
Katie
The first half was pretty shallow, I thought, but the second half was very funny and much more meaningful. If you can stick through the beginning, the last several stories are a great read.
Rachel
An incredible book that highlights the complex relationship and emotions felt between girls and their boys, who like boys. Stunning.
I have heard a lot of great things about this book so I had to check it out!
Stephanie
Aug 15, 2010 Stephanie added it
Shelves: non-fic
Sadly, I had trouble relating to this book. I don't live in LA, NYC or London.
Maggie
Fantastic. Uplifting. Captures the nuances of the gay best friend.
Devon
Stereotypes galore. I don't know why I finished it.
Lauren
Pretty much my high school life story summed up in a more adult context.
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Best Food Writing 2008
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • The Velvet Rage
  • Hemingway vs. Fitzgerald
  • The Full Spectrum: A New Generation of Writing About Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Other Identities
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Bob the Book
  • Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing
  • Fart Proudly: Writings of Benjamin Franklin You Never Read in School
  • Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Letters to Montgomery Clift (Working Classics)
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures inTV Writing
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz...
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3) The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4) Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, #5)