Start by marking “Icing on the Lake” as Want to Read:
Icing on the Lake

Icing on the Lake

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  3,207 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
New Year's Resolutions
by Kirsten (with help from Crystal, Jones, and Emma)

1. Survive the month at my sister's house. Survive my 3-yr-old nephew and crazy sister.

2. Learn to ice skate better. Or not fall down. Or just get a cuter skating outfit.

3. Find hockey-playing, winter-loving hottie. and invite him to the weekend cabin trip (aka "groundhog getaway") with everyone.

Oh,
Published December 13th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published December 1st 2005)

Natshane
Dec 20, 2010 Natshane rated it it was amazing
I'm feeling Rachel Hawthorne-ish all over again.

As much as I like reading fiction romance, sometimes it's very 'relaxing' to switch from having to understand a complicated relationship to enjoying a typical teen romance, after all it's is more realistic and we could relate to them more.

Summer romance/fling has always been what I've read for non-fiction romance, but ever since Rachel Hawthorne's Snowed In and Love on the lifts, I started to develop a kind of preference towards winter romance as
Tiffany
Apr 14, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute novel and I had to give it four stars. There were several reason's why I had to give it four stars. The main reason was I enjoyed reading about a relationship starting that wasn't based on lust. Does every relationship especially teen relationships have to be based upon that and be the main driving force. The couple that emerges from the story gets stranded in a truck during a winter storm. As they have to spend the night next to each other there is no making out. The l ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was a cute story. Kirsten moves to Minneapolis for a month to help her sister, who has a broken leg. As soon as she arrives she meets the super cute Benson brothers. Sean is really cute and acts totally interested, while Conor is equally cute, but acts like he hates her. The story moved along quickly, nothing really exciting happened. I was kind of disappointed with how Kirsten handled the situation, but overall thought it was an okay story. It seems like most of the books I read lately hav ...more
Jasmine Rose
Feb 12, 2017 Jasmine Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
This was surprisingly adorable. I expected it to be uber cheesy and overly dramatic, but it had a nice balance balance of cheese and drama to create a wonderfully fluffy romance.

I also liked that the main character was older, which is something I haven't experienced much of in YA.
Laurence
Dec 29, 2016 Laurence rated it really liked it
Not bad at all!
Caroline
Jan 20, 2013 Caroline rated it liked it
When I picked this book to read I thought it would be kind of a way for me to reach my romantic side which in a way it did. This book unlike many other books I have read did not have a dark side to it, it was constantly cheerful, yet realistic, because things like two guys being interested in the same girl can happen.

Now I know what you are thinking, I am so not into romance but if you read this book it's not all about romance, sure the main character ends up with a guy and that is the main ide
Sherley
Dec 08, 2015 Sherley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Rating: 4.5/5

Cover: 5/5 - Amazing artwork and graphic design. Love the fonts use, not so much the slogan.

Icing on the Lake by Catherine Clark is a book about friendships and first loves. Originally I had purchased the book believing it was a Christmas book. It is not a Christmas story which dissapointed me a little however part of the beginning is technically during the holiday season. The book starts off with New Year's Eve where the main character, Kirsten decides to make a list of her resolut

Jody
Oct 09, 2010 Jody rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was my second Catherine Clark book and I really didn't like the 1st one as this is a teen romance and more of a fast food type of romance. Light and fluffy when I just want to read a quick feel good non thinking book. Icing on the Lake was much better than Better Latte than never. I liked the characters much better and felt as though I was connected with the male interests more. I was rooting for Conner and the book was pretty predicable but I was in the mood for it.

Kirsten moves in with h
Alicia
Jun 12, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
Cursed Kirsten is what everyone calls her. Why? Because she always seems to get herself injured and into problems. When she goes to her sister’s house to help her, she knows that the month will be a stressful one. Not only is Gretchen, her sister, a little crazy, but she always looks down on Kirsten as if she were still five-years-old. Then there’s also the fact that she needs to find a guy to invite to go with her to the weekend getaway her friends and her had planned. Three problems. 1. Her ex ...more
Snuffaluffagus .
Sep 04, 2013 Snuffaluffagus . rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a light and fast read.
Shelves: ya, let-it-snow, e-book
I didn’t think that just by bringing a guy along for a weekend trip with your pals is such a big deal. It reminds me of when you were a kid and have a boy/girl friend you’d automatically be king of the world or be constantly talked about; like those ‘did you hear, he’s got a girlfriend’ and others would go ‘whoaaaa’ as if it’s the most metal thing ever.
To me it seems as if Kirsten is on a quest to find this thing called ‘a boyfriend’ and if she doesn’t find one within a certain amount of time sh
Lisa Su
Mar 06, 2014 Lisa Su rated it really liked it
Kristen goes visit her sister, Gretchen, who has broken her foot. She helps her out with Brett and Bear who is her son and dog. One day, she went out to shovel the snow and finds a guy named Sean who she now has an interest in but his brother is just awful. They start getting along and when things start to get good, her thoughts and opinions change about the two brothers.

I picked up this book because some of my friends recommended a book similar to this one and I liked it so I decided to give th
Wyomi Kinjo
Aug 30, 2013 Wyomi Kinjo rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I think this book is amazing!! I've read before back in 7th grade, and decided to reread it. I think it's a very quick read, if you're into that romance-y stuff :)

Synopsis:
This book is about Kirsten, a senior in high school, who goes to live with her older sister, Gretchen, for a couple of months. Gretchen is a divorced 24 year old with a 3 year old son named Brett, so when she fell and broke her leg skiing someone had to come help with things around the house. Lucky for her, Kirsten was nice e
Vivian
Feb 21, 2010 Vivian rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads
This book was pretty similar to the book Love on the Lifts. In both of the story's plot there was that guy that the girl originally liked. However later on in the story they end up falling for the guy that has been liking them all along.
I think this shows that love is blind. Or that you don't have to search for love and that it'll come eventually and naturally. I think that both books also show that friendships can lead to relationships because in both books the guy and the girl were just frie
Christie
Nov 20, 2012 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: library, ya, triathlon-2
Icing on the Lake was a cute little love story about a girl who was staying at her sister's house to help her out. Her sister is 7 years older then her, a single mother, who just broke her leg. Kirsten has time off school due to finishing early and working on a final project. She meets this boy and his brother. Then the story gets predictable and a little unrealistic. Girls likes boy, other boy like girls, girl gets confused. Figures out what boy she likes and get to know her sister better in th ...more
Heloisa Imada
Sep 26, 2011 Heloisa Imada rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!
Before start reviewing it, I have to say that this plot has one thing that I love: when the main character (Kirsten) likes other guy and is not even aware of the "perfect guy" love and his hints of showing this to her.
This is exactly what happened here! Kirsten was very into Sean and absolutely clueless that who actually truly liked and cared about her was his brother, Conor (AWESOME), even though he kept showing her that he was much better.
Overall, I really love this book. It's so well
Rachel
Jun 04, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
i liked this book but it took me awile to get into ive read other books by cathrine clark and lots of other romances and this was definitly not my favorite but i really loved the ending, wen the got stuck at the gas station and just slept in the truck that was so romantic in a weird way. and im really glad that in the beginning connor told her that sean was trouble and was gonna break her heart and he did and she ended up with connor. and bear was a really cute dog. and her sister greten butted ...more
Drava
Feb 28, 2016 Drava rated it it was ok
2.25 Stars - This was a very teenager type book - probably for tweens. Conor was very rude and standoff-ish to Kirsten in the beginning but it was hard to understand why. Because Kirsten was friendly with Conor's one year younger brother, Sean? It seemed that all of the characters acted young and immature. It seems that is Conor and Kirsten were both starting college in the Fall, they'd act more mature. Conor does start doing little things to look out for Kirsten, but it was difficult for me to ...more
Katie W
Jan 20, 2012 Katie W rated it liked it
Kirsten moves to Minneapolis to help her recently divorced sister with a broken leg and a young child. She literally runs into the Benson brothers and falls for Sean. After a winter of sledding, skating, tubing, and cold walks, she starts to wonder if she's actually falling for the other brother, Conor. A very fluffy high school story.

Content: a handful of language; a boy and girl are forced to spend a night together due to a storm, but nothing happens.
Natasha
Nov 18, 2011 Natasha rated it it was amazing
This was the VERY first YA teen romace books i have ever read, and let me tell you... it got me HOOKED, ive been reading teen romance books ever since.

this book makes you explore love in different ways. to sum up this book, you basically fall in love with a person that you dont expect. i love this book, it is a light read and you'll find yourself tiggling with emotions over and over and over again. :)
Abby Cookson
Dec 13, 2010 Abby Cookson rated it it was amazing
Tin
Jul 01, 2012 Tin rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, 2012
The main character's sister provides the perfect description for Kirsten, the leading lady -- sickeningly pessimistic.

Instead of a witty, flirtatious banter, we get awkward exchanges between the lead guy and girl, complete with extreme mood swings, annoying jump-to-conclusions, defensive comebacks, and wrong impressions and assumptions.
Bethany
Aug 16, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
This book is a typical quick teen read. It is predictable but still nice to read on a rainy or snowy day. The characters have good development, Kirsten is a relatable girl and it is nice to see how the story plays out. If you are in the mood to read a teen book and want to read it in a few days (or a day), then Icing On The Lake is a good choice.
Svea
Jun 12, 2012 Svea rated it really liked it
This book was so cute!
To be honest, I rooted for Conner from the beginning. Yeah, he was a little rude at some times but I think that just made him even more irresistible for me. I didn't really like Sean. I mean, yes, he was a pretty cool guy but in the end he only cared about himself and his reputation. So I am happy that Kirsten didn't end up with him.
Mojo
Mar 08, 2012 Mojo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Twins, hot twins...he caught my attention alright.
One's hot, cute and friendly
Another's obnoxious, hot, and unfriendly...
MISMATCH

This book brought so much laughter to me as the characters makes jokes and their amazing comebacks. I love how girls become flustered and tongue-tied when talking to guys, it just seems so cute. I really love this book, full of comedy, romance, and adventure!
Erika
Jul 05, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it
If thrown together with the other books I've read, this one would definitely not be the one screaming "I'm your favorite!" However, I'm addicted to the light reads provided by Avon publishing. So when thrown together with other books of the same type, then it would have a better chance of getting noticed. These books are always my go-to when I need a quick read or I'm lounging on the boat.
Kelsey
Apr 14, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
This book is good for a short beach read that's for sure, but it's nothing more than that. It took me maybe a few hours to read (which is nice sometimes) and the characters+story were cute, but I fell like they could have extended the story some.
Haley
Oct 30, 2014 Haley rated it liked it
This was pretty anti-climatic. I kept waiting for the turning point, waiting, waiting... And then the book was over. No real story between Conor and Kirsten, nothing. It was a quick read, but because of the writing style I don't think I would visit any other books from this author.
Stephanie Pearson
Apr 16, 2013 Stephanie Pearson rated it it was amazing
Adorable. That's all. I loved it. I first got this book a few years go, then i decided to get it on me e-reader too. Icing on the Lake is one of those books that you just have to have in your book collection so you can re-read it every so often.
Kricket
Apr 24, 2011 Kricket rated it did not like it
i'm working on a teen romance list for work, but haven't actually read that many. i got this from someone else's list. it was so stupid. all of the characters were really immature, the humor was lame, and the actual romance part had no chemistry. disappointing.
Emily
This would be a 3.5 stars. This book is cute. Cheesy at times, but as cheesy books go it was enjoyable. I definitely squealed a few times while reading it. This is just a really light read. Good for vacation or reading at the beach.
  • Love on the Lifts
  • Summer in the City
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Killer Cruise
  • Sleepless
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Puppy Love
  • A Novel Idea
I love reading books for children, young adults, new adults and all the old people after that.

I love writing for pretty much the same audiences.

More about Catherine Clark...