Start by marking “Life Over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment” as Want to Read:
Life Over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment

Life Over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dr. Keith Block is at the global vanguard of innovative cancer care. As medical director of the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment in Evanston, Illinois, he has treated thousands of patients who have lived long, full lives beyond their original prognoses. Now he has distilled almost thirty years of experience into the first book that gives patients a systematic, ...more
Published April 21st 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Life Over Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Over Cancer

Susan
My doctor loaned this book to me to read after I was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It is packed full of information. I found it very useful. There is a lot of information in it that was just too (how do I describe it - lets use the word) meaty for me to take in at this time. But the basic dietary / relaxation /exercise information was great. I know that the medical team that are working to get good results for me are doing everything that they can. But I feel that I need to be doing som ...more
Patricia
Very helpful, especially dietary information.
Dee Bibb
Some of the information given in this book seems to be useful....however...it is also just good common sense...like eating good healthy meals and taking vitamin supplements.

Dr. Block repeats a whole lot of the book over and over and that is something that really gets on my nerves. If the book has 300 pages....give me 300 pages of information...not 150 pages of repeated information.

Maybe if I were at his clinic in Illinois discussing the information with him in person....I would like the book bet
Sonja
This is actually the second time I've read this book. It has a lot of good advice about how to prepare and deal with treatment and how to keep cancer from coming back. He does go into some scientific detail that is easy to skip over if you want. I have parts of this book bookmarked to go back to as a reference for tips on diet, exercise, and mind-body health, as well as an inspiration on living after cancer treatment.
Karl Seidel
May 08, 2010 Karl Seidel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone diagnosed with cancer.
Recommended to Karl by: Display at Keith Block's practice.
I've only read the first chapter of this book...my wife has been reading it and I haven't gotten back to it yet. Keith Block heads an oncology clinic in Evanston, IL. If you're interested in complementary medicine and you or someone you know has cancer this is a book you'll want to read.
Annabeth
The second book I always recommend to people facing cancer diagnosis. I really love how he merges conventional and alternative medicine into "complimentary" medicine. WISH HE WAS A PEDIATRIC doctor! GREAT INFO.
Grace Dadoyan
This is an excellent, comprehensive book on complementary cancer treatments. A must-read for anyone with cancer looking to improve their treatment, recovery, or remission maintenance.
Cara
Looks like a great book, but I just can't stand any more cancer stuff right now. Not much use in my reading it anyway unless R buys in, and he doesn't want to read it, either. Back it goes.
Nadine
If you have cancer, have had cancer, or never want to get cancer, please read this book.
Paula
Wonderful multi-faceted approach to cancer treatment.
Patrice
Not sure how scientific this is.
Badgett
Badgett is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Bharathi
Bharathi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Judith Golderer
Judith Golderer marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
King Of
King Of marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Marilyn Higgins
Marilyn Higgins is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2015
Dalia
Dalia marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
kelly flading
kelly flading is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
JOYCE E. TODD
JOYCE E. TODD marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Jan 16, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Terry Elrod
Terry Elrod marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“A key step toward revitalization is to develop a positive future projection for yourself. Start by writing down your immediate and long-term goals. How would you like to see yourself one year, three years, and five years from now? Write a brief description of these images, using visual details and sounds, identifying the people around you, the focus of your time, and how you will evaluate whether you've reached your personal goals.” 0 likes
“To get the most out of this chapter, first find where you are on this map of the cancer journey: Critical stress points. When you have just been diagnosed with cancer or learned that your cancer has recurred or is not responding to treatment. Treatment preparation. When you are anticipating surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, or molecular target therapies. Side effect management. When you are undergoing treatment and need ways (instead of or in addition to drugs) to manage its side effects. Post-treatment. When you are adjusting to the end of active treatment, usually after the final chemotherapy cycle. This situation can, perhaps surprisingly, prove quite stressful. Remission maintenance. Although definitely good news, remission introduces its own issues, most notably fear of recurrence. Remission is also when you will be most determined to take back your life from cancer.” 0 likes