A Shine of Rainbows

A Shine of Rainbows

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Mairi and Sandy live on a lonely Hebridean island, content with each other - despite their lack of children. When Mairi brings home Thomas, a child from the orphanage, Sandy is jealous of Mairi's affection for him and disappointed in the boy's stammer and fragility. With time, Thomas grows in confidence and draws nearer to his foster mother, but still Sandy keeps an emotio

Published January 15th 1987 by Random House of Canada, Limited (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A Shine of Rainbows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shine of Rainbows

Holly McIntyre
The only problem with reading one of Beckwith's books is that it makes me want to pack a bag, stowaway the dogs, and move to a croft on a Scottish island. Is this orphan tale predictable and almost too-sweet? Yes. Is it charming? Oh double-yes! If tales of good people living hard, but simple lives in settings of extraordinary natural beauty appeal to you, then any of Beckwith's books will enchant.
Julie
Sweet story, well written.
Linda
Though this was published (and presumably written?) in the 1980's, it has a 50's feel to it. The plot is very predictable, but so what? I am a sucker for stories that feature an orphan who finally finds a loving home. Mairi the devoted, kindly mother and Sandy the taciturn father are pretty stereotypical, but the characterization of the boy, Thomas, is a bit more nuanced. And most anything could be forgiven, anyway, for a chance to soak in the harshly beautiful seascape.
Nupur
I came across this book accidentally and I loved it. I have read it 3 times and all three times I cried. I hated the movie and the acting in it. The movie does not do the book any justice.
I have no idea how I ended up with this book - maybe by searching adoption in the library card catalog? I like the length of the novel and the story was well written, but I felt it was slow.
Brenda {Write From Your Heart ♥}
Really good! Similar to the movie and as sweet as the movie too. :)
Roop
Loved it! The movie is very well made and worth watching.
Batya Harlow
Batya Harlow marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Clare Dee
Clare Dee marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Charissa
Charissa marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Honey Butterfly
Honey Butterfly marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Angus Pratt
Angus Pratt marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sharon Yockey
Sharon Yockey marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Melissa Riley
Melissa Riley marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Lauren A
Lauren A marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Mike Griffiths
Mike Griffiths marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lilian Comber wrote fiction and non-fiction for both adults and children under the pseudonym Lillian Beckwith. She is best known for her series of comic novels based on her time living on a croft in the Scottish Hebrides.

Beckwith was born in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, in 1916, where her father ran a grocery shop. The shop provided the background for her memoir About My Father's Business, a child’s...more
More about Lillian Beckwith...
The Hills is Lonely  (Common Reader Editions) The Sea for Breakfast The Loud Halo A Rope in Case Beautiful Just!