Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life (Beach #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  742 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Dear Bella and Bobby,

Thank you SO MUCH for letting us stay at your villa. It's gorgeous, and we're having a fab time looking after it and enjoying the view of the mountains and the lovely olive grove. I figured out the bus to Ercos on the first day here -- it's as easy as you said! And Miguel's son Juan is helping us take care of everything, so you needn't worry at all!

Lov...more
Published April 13th 2004 by HarperTeen (first published July 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spanish Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spanish Holiday

Caribbean Cruising by Rachel HawthorneSummer in the City by Elizabeth ChandlerThrill Ride by Rachel HawthorneThe Boyfriend League by Rachel HawthorneSave the Date by Tamara Summers
HarperTeen Romantic Comedies
32nd out of 40 books — 32 voters
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesFreewill by Chris LynchMates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses by Cathy HopkinsWurst Case Scenario by Catherine ClarkBreathing Underwater by Alex Flinn
YA Novels of 2001
23rd out of 68 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsty
I just loved this author's books when I was in my teens, and this book was no exception. Great escapism as you're whisked away into the tale of holiday romances. I couldn't put this down - this author has a way of completely capturing your interest.
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
This is why I love Goodreads, because It allows me to see my evolution as a reader!

What I love...

So I read this book when i was like 14, and i read it a good 4 times over the course of 3 years. This is not very good writing. It is your standard chick lit book. HOwever, boy is it fun. This book was amazing and left me fantasizing about when i grow up and get to travel the world. The yummy boys and experiences I would have. I liken this book to like eat pray love for the young teenager. Only a lot...more
Ari
IQ "It's just I've never heard of anyone snogging someone out of politeness before", Laura pg. 205

I read this book for fun as I prepared for my trip to Spain and it wasn't awful, but I'm slowly realizing that I can only handle so many....beachy? frothy? light? reads. The book drags along in the beginning as you wonder how Tom and Ruth are real people because c'mon Tom's a Neanderthal clearly and I have no patience for fools in literature. Not when you could be traveling with your friends Yaz an...more
Beck
i felt cheated. it ended so quickly i don't even know wat happened, theres no hint or nothing!
Kathleen
One of my favorite books!! I've read this literally 10 times and love it more and more!!
Jodie (Books for Company)
I have always been a fan of Kate Cann and it was in fact her books which got me reading a lot more. These 'Beach books' (there are 3 altogether) are the only romantic books of hers which l haven't read so l was looking forward to reading them, especially now the type of books she writes have changed so they will probably be the last of hers l read.

With this book l wasn't drawn into the storyline straight away but instead was slowly gripped by the book and by half way through l couldn't put it d...more
Mary Pessaran
The first half of the book (the worst vacation ever) was rather frustrating. Primarily because the friend's boyfriend, Tom, was so unbelievably macho and annoying that I found it difficult to believe that any woman wouldn't see through it at least a little bit. What I liked most about the book (besides Juan, the love interest of the main character, Laura) was the descriptions of Spain, its culture, its people, the food, the landscape. The author has obviously traveled there and provided details...more
Heather
I read Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life. It started out like any quick read or what some may call a fluffy read book which is what I wanted to read. It turned out not to be a quick read and I found myself bored. I did not like any of the characters much at all.

Tom Ruth’s boyfriend was beyond annoying and at times it seemed like she had no back bone at all. Laura was okay for the most part. This may have been okay but it was also very...more
Beth
Not a really enjoyable romance or travelogue. The characters are unlikeable and Laura's romance with Juan happens so fast you don't get a believable relationship. And to cap it off, the book just ends without any real closure.
Melissa
Cute romance about a group of students who take a trip to Spain.
Alyssa
This is a great summer read with the classic vacation and summer romance. It doesn't take place on a beach so that's a nice change and you get a taste of Spanish culture on top of it. The book seemed to end a bit abruptly though. Also, the main character was meant to be about 18 or 19 since they are on their gap year between high school and university, but it read like an adult woman. It was very hard to imagine the characters so young.
Reem
Jan 02, 2013 Reem rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: series
this book was great! i love the way there are different things happening other than the greek one.
things i love:
and
Juan

He is such a sweet, amazing, irresistable and dreamy. i hate the way tom and ruth act over eachother like retards it makes me laugh and the frigen guy(tom) is such an idiot!!!!!!!
Yaz is cool but shes weird when shes angry.this book us so far the best kate cann book ive read"
Jo
This is definitely a summer beach read. Story of four English girls on holiday in Spain. The first half of their vacation is terrible, dominated by an egotiscal male friend with a car. One girl is smitten with him and the soap opera begins. I would recommend this to teen girls looking for a light rmantic read. I enjoyed the description of Spain, it's culture and landscape.
Jessica
Spanish Holiday is a lot cuter than California Holiday. While I'm enjoying these light, beach read-y, teen 'romance' novels, I seem to prefer Rachel Hawthorne's books. Still, I have Grecian Holiday left of Kate Cann's to read, and I'm sure I'll like it.
Sandy
Used to own this book. I really was inspired to take a vacation in Spain haha. Totally age-appropriate for me, too. I liked this, just not the drama with Lauren's best friend. Romantic and recommended for teens ages 17 to 18 +. 3/5 stars.
Erin
I've read several other books by this author, and this one did not exactly live up to expectations. I had trouble staying with the book for the first half, and I felt it ended too abruptly. Not my favorite by this author.
Arian
The book is what it looks like- a trashy romance, a good beach read. AND its super-predictable and talks of sex too much. However, if thats what you need to cheer you up... this book is perfect.
I don't even remember where I got this book, but in an effort to clean out my bookshelf I read this the other day. It was a fairly typical "chick lit" book, predictible, quick read.
Evelyn Phelps
This is one of my ultimate guilty pleasure books. I have read it many times, and lent it out to many lady friends who I knew would appreciate it as a guilty pleasure of their own.
emma
Apr 23, 2008 emma added it
Recommends it for: teens
These sort of books make me wonder why nothing like this ever happens to me on vacation :) I tend to read this when I want a simple romance.
Tara
If you're looking for an action pack romantic chick flick. This isn't it.
But if you want a more down to earth, relaxing chick flick, this IS it.
it was soooo cute!!Now i wanna become a spy(like charlie's angels) and go to spain!!!(road trip, but with a plane!)
Esmeralda
I'm usually not one for the light romance reads that take an hour to read but these books made me happy.
Shannon
the story overall was cute. Predictable but still good. still have lots of dislike for that jerk Tom.
Chelsey
I love this book,it is a classic it inspired me to study abroad and look for adventure in Spain!
Nadia
I read this 6-7 years ago, and I kept re-reading it, I recommend this book to people ages 15+
Eli
Wasn't written for me, so I can't really complain about the parts that irritated me. An easy read.
Jodi
Jul 25, 2011 Jodi added it
It was a cute little fluff book, and we can all use a bit of fluff now and then.
Robin
i'm not sure what was wrong with the story but I just didn't think it was very good.
Zunaira Ghazal
well, this sucked. The pace was too slow, the characters too sucky and the hero so meh.
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Icing on the Lake
  • Tourist Trap
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Hoe overleef ik mijn ouders? (en zij mij!) (Hoi, #8)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Snow in Love
  • Summer in the City
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Mates, Dates, and Tempting Trouble (Mates, Dates, #8)
  • How Not to Spend Your Senior Year
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school...more
More about Kate Cann...
Possessed (Rayne, #1) Diving In (Art & Coll, #1) In the Deep End (Art & Coll, # 2) Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life California Holiday: Or, How the World's Worst Summer Job Gave Me a Great New Life