Start by marking “Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life” as Want to Read:

Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life (Beach #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  918 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Dear Bella and Bobby,

Thank you SO MUCH for letting us stay at your villa. It's gorgeous, and we're having a fab time looking after it and enjoying the view of the mountains and the lovely olive grove. I figured out the bus to Ercos on the first day here -- it's as easy as you said! And Miguel's son Juan is helping us take care of everything, so you needn't worry at all!

Lov
Published April 13th 2004 by HarperTeen (first published July 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spanish Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spanish Holiday

Caribbean Cruising by Rachel HawthorneThrill Ride by Rachel HawthorneThe Boyfriend League by Rachel HawthorneSnowed In by Rachel HawthorneLove on the Lifts by Rachel Hawthorne
HarperTeen Romantic Comedies
25th out of 39 books — 52 voters
Asking for Trouble by Elizabeth Young32AA by Michelle CunnahA Bad Bride's Tale by Polly WilliamsManhunting by Jennifer CrusieA Promising Man by Elizabeth Young
Undies (no people!)
19th out of 30 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Liralen
Jul 24, 2015 Liralen rated it it was ok
Despite my lousy rating, I enjoyed this quite a bit—the cover and description promised fluff, and they delivered. It's the end of Laura's gap year, and she's spending the summer in Spain with two friends and a friend's boyfriend...but it's not going quite as planned. Her friend's boyfriend is determined to find as much of England as he can in Spain; Laura feels like she's been cast as the dissident; none of them are getting along.

Opportunity knocks, and Laura grabs it with both hands (while her
Kirsty
Mar 11, 2008 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this author's books when I was in my teens, and this book was no exception. Great escapism as you're whisked away into the tale of holiday romances. I couldn't put this down - this author has a way of completely capturing your interest.
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
This is why I love Goodreads, because It allows me to see my evolution as a reader!

What I love...

So I read this book when i was like 14, and i read it a good 4 times over the course of 3 years. This is not very good writing. It is your standard chick lit book. HOwever, boy is it fun. This book was amazing and left me fantasizing about when i grow up and get to travel the world. The yummy boys and experiences I would have. I liken this book to like eat pray love for the young teenager. Only a lot
Ari
Jan 03, 2014 Ari rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013, spain
IQ "It's just I've never heard of anyone snogging someone out of politeness before", Laura pg. 205

I read this book for fun as I prepared for my trip to Spain and it wasn't awful, but I'm slowly realizing that I can only handle so many....beachy? frothy? light? reads. The book drags along in the beginning as you wonder how Tom and Ruth are real people because c'mon Tom's a Neanderthal clearly and I have no patience for fools in literature. Not when you could be traveling with your friends Yaz an
Beck
Jul 06, 2010 Beck rated it liked it
i felt cheated. it ended so quickly i don't even know wat happened, theres no hint or nothing!
Kathleen
Dec 07, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books!! I've read this literally 10 times and love it more and more!!
Frances

Mini-review originally posted on Nightjar's Jar of Books.

This book follows Laura, an English teenager who’s just started her gap year, and is on the road trip from hell across Spain, accompanied by her two best friends, Ruth and Yaz, as well as Ruth’s obnoxious boyfriend Tom – the driver, who is the main cause of the “from hell” part of the trip.

I didn’t have very high expectations, going into this book, but I did hope that it might surprise me – and it did, at times. I enjoyed the snarky openin

Jodie (Books for Company)
Aug 22, 2010 Jodie (Books for Company) rated it really liked it
I have always been a fan of Kate Cann and it was in fact her books which got me reading a lot more. These 'Beach books' (there are 3 altogether) are the only romantic books of hers which l haven't read so l was looking forward to reading them, especially now the type of books she writes have changed so they will probably be the last of hers l read.

With this book l wasn't drawn into the storyline straight away but instead was slowly gripped by the book and by half way through l couldn't put it d
Kim Hawkins
Sep 17, 2015 Kim Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such easy reading! It's the perfect book to sit curled up warm by the fire & read in one sitting or even by the pool daydreaming about a holiday romance!
The writings not perfect but the cute love story is there & just what I needed! Something that doesn't require me to think & read just read & relax :-)
Mary Pessaran
Oct 19, 2011 Mary Pessaran rated it really liked it
The first half of the book (the worst vacation ever) was rather frustrating. Primarily because the friend's boyfriend, Tom, was so unbelievably macho and annoying that I found it difficult to believe that any woman wouldn't see through it at least a little bit. What I liked most about the book (besides Juan, the love interest of the main character, Laura) was the descriptions of Spain, its culture, its people, the food, the landscape. The author has obviously traveled there and provided details ...more
Heather
Dec 01, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
I read Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life. It started out like any quick read or what some may call a fluffy read book which is what I wanted to read. It turned out not to be a quick read and I found myself bored. I did not like any of the characters much at all.

Tom Ruth’s boyfriend was beyond annoying and at times it seemed like she had no back bone at all. Laura was okay for the most part. This may have been okay but it was also very
Caitlin M
Jul 26, 2015 Caitlin M rated it it was ok
unless you're an 18 year old girl on their gap year (or younger) it is hard to relate to the story. light summer reading is about it.
Beth
Jun 02, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Not a really enjoyable romance or travelogue. The characters are unlikeable and Laura's romance with Juan happens so fast you don't get a believable relationship. And to cap it off, the book just ends without any real closure.
Melissa Wright
Feb 09, 2015 Melissa Wright rated it really liked it
I loved these books when I was a teen, you got adventure and romance without it being trashy.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Cute romance about a group of students who take a trip to Spain.
Alyssa
Jun 29, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it
This is a great summer read with the classic vacation and summer romance. It doesn't take place on a beach so that's a nice change and you get a taste of Spanish culture on top of it. The book seemed to end a bit abruptly though. Also, the main character was meant to be about 18 or 19 since they are on their gap year between high school and university, but it read like an adult woman. It was very hard to imagine the characters so young.
Reem
Jan 02, 2013 Reem rated it liked it
Shelves: series
this book was great! i love the way there are different things happening other than the greek one.
things i love:
and
Juan

He is such a sweet, amazing, irresistable and dreamy. i hate the way tom and ruth act over eachother like retards it makes me laugh and the frigen guy(tom) is such an idiot!!!!!!!
Yaz is cool but shes weird when shes angry.this book us so far the best kate cann book ive read"
Jo
Jul 13, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it
This is definitely a summer beach read. Story of four English girls on holiday in Spain. The first half of their vacation is terrible, dominated by an egotiscal male friend with a car. One girl is smitten with him and the soap opera begins. I would recommend this to teen girls looking for a light rmantic read. I enjoyed the description of Spain, it's culture and landscape.
Marianne
Mar 24, 2016 Marianne rated it it was ok
At the beginning of reading this, I thought the main character and one other were likable. By the end, I didn't like anyone. Every single one of these characters is selfish at some point and it's very hard to read about people who act like that when there's no one to balance it out. I will probably not read anything else by this author.
Jessica
Dec 25, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Spanish Holiday is a lot cuter than California Holiday. While I'm enjoying these light, beach read-y, teen 'romance' novels, I seem to prefer Rachel Hawthorne's books. Still, I have Grecian Holiday left of Kate Cann's to read, and I'm sure I'll like it.
Sandy
Jun 28, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
Used to own this book. I really was inspired to take a vacation in Spain haha. Totally age-appropriate for me, too. I liked this, just not the drama with Lauren's best friend. Romantic and recommended for teens ages 17 to 18 +. 3/5 stars.
Erin
Sep 15, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
I've read several other books by this author, and this one did not exactly live up to expectations. I had trouble staying with the book for the first half, and I felt it ended too abruptly. Not my favorite by this author.
Lisa Betteridge
Apr 24, 2016 Lisa Betteridge rated it liked it
Kate Cann manages to get the summer feeling over to the reader in all of her books. I have read three and they all seem to follow a similar story line but still very entertaining and romantic.
Arian
Mar 21, 2012 Arian rated it really liked it
The book is what it looks like- a trashy romance, a good beach read. AND its super-predictable and talks of sex too much. However, if thats what you need to cheer you up... this book is perfect.
Jun 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
I don't even remember where I got this book, but in an effort to clean out my bookshelf I read this the other day. It was a fairly typical "chick lit" book, predictible, quick read.
Evelyn Phelps
Jul 17, 2013 Evelyn Phelps rated it really liked it
This is one of my ultimate guilty pleasure books. I have read it many times, and lent it out to many lady friends who I knew would appreciate it as a guilty pleasure of their own.
emma
Apr 23, 2008 emma added it
Recommends it for: teens
These sort of books make me wonder why nothing like this ever happens to me on vacation :) I tend to read this when I want a simple romance.
Tara
Jul 01, 2011 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for an action pack romantic chick flick. This isn't it.
But if you want a more down to earth, relaxing chick flick, this IS it.
Jul 05, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
it was soooo cute!!Now i wanna become a spy(like charlie's angels) and go to spain!!!(road trip, but with a plane!)
Esmeralda
Nov 20, 2010 Esmeralda rated it it was amazing
I'm usually not one for the light romance reads that take an hour to read but these books made me happy.
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Maine Squeeze
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Tourist Trap
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Hoe overleef ik mijn vriendje? (en hij mij!) (Hoe overleef ik, #11)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • She's Got the Beat
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Save the Date
  • Dancing Queen
  • Love, Hollywood Style
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school
More about Kate Cann...

Beach (4 books)
  • California Holiday: Or, How the World's Worst Summer Job Gave Me a Great New Life
  • Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved to a Tiny Island and Found the Love of My Life