Start by marking “California Holiday: Or, How the World's Worst Summer Job Gave Me a Great New Life” as Want to Read:

California Holiday: Or, How the World's Worst Summer Job Gave Me a Great New Life (Beach #2)

Dear Mel,

Okay, it's not a dream job. The kid is alright, but her mom treats me like a personal slave/shopper/chef. And she's vile to the pet iguana who is now my only friend -- sad or what? Maybe I'll run off to San Francisco -- maybe my next postcard will be from there! Wish me luck!

xoxo,
Rowan
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published July 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about California Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about California Holiday

Caribbean Cruising by Rachel HawthorneThrill Ride by Rachel HawthorneThe Boyfriend League by Rachel HawthorneLove on the Lifts by Rachel HawthorneSnowed In by Rachel Hawthorne
HarperTeen Romantic Comedies
22nd out of 39 books — 54 voters
The Good Girls by Sara ShepardPerfectly Dateless by Kristin BillerbeckDead Is the New Black by Marlene PerezSweet 16 by Kate BrianPerfect by Sara Shepard
Hot Pink
31st out of 148 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Ruth
Aug 08, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok
Reading books by British authors is definitely fun, and I liked the first third of this book where the main character flies to America to nanny for a little girl with a really strange family (was this book written before or after the nanny diaries? because they have a heck of a lot in common). From there, it all goes downhill. After a stupid, crazed, obsession that she has over this guy who is as shallow as a kiddy pool and treats her like dirt all summer......she ends up with him. Wow, way to p ...more
Geli
Jun 11, 2012 Geli rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan Kate Cann. Last summer she did not disappoint when I read her Spanish Holiday and Greacian Holiday. So naturaly I was excited to learn she had another holiday in the works. And she definitely did not disappoint me! I absoultly LOVE this one. I completely identifed with Rowan. It makes me just want to get out and go out on self finding adventure of my own.

This holiday is about a young girl in college (as usual) who isnt doing so well at home with her family so she decides to exscap
Maya
Oct 26, 2012 Maya rated it it was amazing
Book Report Guidelines – Good Reads
Name of book: California Holiday
Author: Kate Cann
Pages: 400
Genre: Young Adult
Reading Level of book: ?

Exposition (4-6 sentences) Rowan has been living in London, England all her life. After finishing school she has trouble figuring out what to do with herself. She talks to her brother sometimes to get advice from him. With his help she decides to become a nanny. Her mom does not like the idea of her going off to America, but she still lets her go there.

Confli
Fell
Jul 10, 2015 Fell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good summer read. It was an easy read and gave me that summery feeling (which I really needed because it's been raining and cold lately)

I thought the main charachter were very funny. It was intresting to see how Rowan evolved and kind of got to know herself a little bit better as she faced the diffrent dilemmas.
The story went in a great speed, it wasn't too fast or too slow.
Although I was kind of annoyed of Rowans love interest at times, but their lovestory didn't take up that
Anna Wei
Oct 28, 2007 Anna Wei rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all american girl fans
of all the books that i read, more than 75% of them have to be some sort of teenage drama, just so i dont go insane understanding language from some old dead guy that is WAY behnd my time.

here comes the first of my crazy obsessive book buying splurges.
like most of my favorite books, they always start off lonley, along the way they meet someone that easily lures their prey in with their charming smile and their sweet talking ways, dont worry, happens to everybody.

the boo focuses on our main chara
Brianna
May 28, 2015 Brianna rated it it was ok
Easy summer read but by the end I just wanted it to end! Part 4 even felt like the author wanted to end writing but continued anyway. I liked the first half of the book better, Rowan leaving and her time with Flossy. I didn't understand the Landon appeal and by the end of the book I felt like she was not exactly better off than when she left. She spent half a summer obsessed with a boring, rude bloke.
Danielle Andrews
Mar 08, 2014 Danielle Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when i was around twelve and it is a bit of a sexual book but it also taught me that if you want something, to go and get it instead of wait for it to happen.
I think this is an amazing book that has a lot of lessons that you can learn from it.
Jesse
Sep 02, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, teen
Rowan comes to the United States to be a nanny for a wealthy family only to find the mother a controlling pill, the father with issues of his own and the daughter suffering for it. Fortunately, a situation presents itself so that she can escape and the family can work on itself. Rowan finds herself living and working on a resort in California and gets caught in an interesting love triangle.

This is one of the better pieces of teen lit that I have found. If you're looking for an intellectual escap
Annice22
The first half of the book was really good but then it went downhill (really fast) with main character Rowan started obsessing (and instantly falling in love with) Landon, a guy she just met. Another insta-love plot that didn't work out.
Jessica
I can give California Holiday anywhere up to 2.5 stars, but that's about it. For the first part of the book, prior to leaving London, Rowan just seemed selfish, whiny and ungrateful for all she has. Once in Seattle, the parents of the little girl she nannies were such awful human beings. I hated the mother most, but nothing excuses the dad for always being drunk, absent and then hitting on Rowan. And finally, when she went to California, Landon was just all kinds of creep. I was sorely disappoin ...more
Jocel Angelie
Sep 19, 2014 Jocel Angelie rated it really liked it
First novel I've ever read!
Michelle Sallay
Jan 03, 2013 Michelle Sallay rated it liked it
This was quite cute actually. It feels a little like two separate books, so I can see why it doesn't have the highest rating. I did enjoy it the entire book. If I want to read more of these I will have to buy them since this is the only one my library had, I can't decide if I want to buy any just yet...
Nicole
Oct 19, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA
This book was great, the beginning was funny and it started out on a high note. After Ro runs away from her 'nannying' job she meets a guy named Landon at the bus station. I didn't like Landon that much though. What person just invites someone off of the bus to come live with them??
May 20, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Oh Boy. This book. It's not very good, but it's very intertaining. it's very long, but it's more like 3 books in one rather than one very long book. I didn't really lke a lot of it. But bits were okay.
Caroline Koppelaar
Apr 23, 2010 Caroline Koppelaar rated it really liked it
Kate Cann heeft het zo geschreven dat je het boek eigenlijk niet weg wil leggen tot je het uit hebt, tenminste, dat is mijn ervaring met haar boeken. Sommige zijn beter dan de anderen. Dit is daar een van.
Lisa Betteridge
Apr 24, 2016 Lisa Betteridge rated it liked it
Kate Cann manages to get the summer feeling over to the reader in all of her books. I have read three and they all seem to follow a similar story line but still very entertaining and romantic.
Laurie Stoll
Jan 16, 2011 Laurie Stoll rated it did not like it
I did not care for this book at all. The cover is very eye catching but it does not tell you this book is for young readers. Pre-teen to early teen.
Cheekygryphon
Jul 31, 2014 Cheekygryphon rated it did not like it
Quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. HORRIBLE! Kept waiting for it to get better. It just got worse and worse.
Eli
Nov 28, 2013 Eli rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, 2013
Ridiculous. Rowan's unpleasant & the guy's a jerk...maybe they do belong together but I don't need to know about their story.
Taneeta
May 27, 2016 Taneeta rated it liked it
The ending was a touch frustrating, but otherwise, a nice beachy summer read.
Kathleen
Dec 07, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute!! I've read this 2 times and have picked it up again!
Kenz Wenz
Mar 21, 2008 Kenz Wenz rated it really liked it
cute, i love all of these books but they're kind of predictible.
Lindzz
Dec 20, 2010 Lindzz rated it did not like it
CHEESY!!! I rarely hate books, but this book is horrible!
Marian Van den Berg
Het ging, was niet superspannend ofzo...
Katie-Lee
Dec 02, 2009 Katie-Lee rated it liked it
This book was pretty good.
Eva
Jan 01, 2009 Eva rated it liked it
This book was FUNNY!!!
Annaelle Allez L'OL!!!
Jul 02, 2010 Annaelle Allez L'OL!!! rated it really liked it
the beginning is kinda boring
Brianna Madison
Dec 29, 2012 Brianna Madison rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Tracey
Mar 08, 2009 Tracey rated it did not like it
Just cheezy bad.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
  • Maine Squeeze
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Snow Queen
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Crush du Jour (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Perfect Shot
  • Snow in Love
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Whitney (Making A Splash, #3)
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school
More about Kate Cann...

Beach (4 books)
  • Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life
  • Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved to a Tiny Island and Found the Love of My Life