Start by marking “The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps: What to Know Before You Go” as Want to Read:
The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps: What to Know Before You Go

The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps: What to Know Before You Go

So, you want to join the Peace Corps . . .  If you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, you probably have questions that run the gamut from "What is the application process like?" to "Is the Peace Corps effective as a development agency?" In this updated second edition, former Peace Corps volunteer Dillon Banerjee shares candid facts and insights about the experience ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps

Melissa
I'm going to join the Peace Corps. Not right away of course, I still have responsibilities that I have to take care of before I can go (my parents would not appreciate me dumping two cats and two chinchillas on them). But when I don't have those responsibilities anymore, I'm going. After reading this book, I'm even more determined to do it.

And it's not because this book is all sunshine and rainbows. This book tells it as it is and I think its very truthful. Banerjee has taken the time to answer
Caity
Dec 29, 2010 Caity rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peace Corps hopefuls
Shelves: peace-corps, kindle
This book is an excellent resource in what amounts to a Q&A format. I would definitely recommend it to anybody considering applying for the Peace Corps, as it answers just about every question one might have as they begin to research the organization. My only complaint, which isn't so much of a complaint as it is a suggestion, would be to add a question about the resume you need to submit with the application and how it may be similar and/or different from the one you have to submit after ac ...more
Rebecca
Jan 29, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
Totally clear and concise. Banerjee answers the questions that you really want answered before you even consider applying, and he does it honestly. His assessment isn't all accolades and praise, he offers some gentle criticism of the program. But he is also very supportive of the program and the many RPCV's he interviewed had glowing reviews of their experiences. This was a surprisingly quick read and Banerjee's prose is incredibly readable.
Alyssa
Jan 27, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Really informative and accessible. This book encouraged my tentative desire to serve in the Peace Corps one day and gave me a more realistic idea of what it might be like. It didn't go into depth about the individual programs though, and I would have liked to read more about those. Overall, it just got me really excited for the possibility of going!
Constance
Nov 05, 2014 Constance rated it it was amazing
Throughout "The Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps:What to know before you go", Dillon Banerjee identifies some pertinent questions. He gives pause and perspective to some real scenarios reader's might have overlooked considering. Best wishes to any and who endeavors to join and serve or have already done so.
giselayvonne
Feb 07, 2016 giselayvonne rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read which addressed many of the questions I had of a friend who was a PCV and many I could not have even considered at this early stage. I am left feeling more excited about the possibility of joining.
Jessica
Apr 22, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
This book provides great insight to general Peace Corps questions. I would have liked more personal stories and experiences, but overall I enjoyed the helpful information that answered many of my questions that I had.
Dona Kubina
Jan 11, 2015 Dona Kubina rated it it was amazing
This book was a Christmas gift to my daughter from one of her friends, since she will be going to Swaziland for two years in the Peace Corps. As her mom, I was interested in the information provided in this book. I learned a lot about what my daughter will experience.
Linda
Mar 17, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
After hearing a friend's presentation about her stint with the PC in Azerbaijan, I got curious. The writing style is personable, making this a quick and enjoyable read, as well as a useful one.
Nadia
Jul 30, 2016 Nadia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book filled with practical tips and suggestions for those going into the Peace Corps, such as myself!
Andrew
Aug 04, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Disappointingly short, but plenty of very good information in here. I recommend it if you don't think the price is too steep. If you don't like the price, it's probably not worth the money.
Lauren
Aug 22, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Very helpful! I would recommend this to anyone who has been accepted into the Peace Corps. There was a lot of useful tips I hadn't though of or read about in other Peace Corps materials.
Jen Hyatt
Jen Hyatt rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Grace Carlin
Grace Carlin rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Erin Reynolds
Erin Reynolds rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Sara Goehl
Sara Goehl rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
Conner
Conner rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Kirk Delaney
Kirk Delaney rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
AJ Dreadfulwater
AJ Dreadfulwater rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
Elizabeth B
Elizabeth B rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Samantha Nielsen
Samantha Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
harold w burton
harold w burton rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2015
Scott Wofford
Scott Wofford rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016